Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "You Go CathyMoran" thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Far better news this morning- she woke up and sat up in bed, and tidied herself up a little with the help of the nurse. I rang her dad with the bedside phone so she could say good morning to him- as he is climbing walls too.
    I am so relieved after yesterday afternoon/evening. I just hope there are no more complications like yesterday- I almost went insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Wow, such great news to hear.
    So it wont be long before she is back posting on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

What a roller coaster for you guys. Glad this morning is a good one. Never underestimate the power of good that comes with "tiding herself up".... we women can be so fickle :-) I hope it's all good from here.

Were they due to do some scans today? Are they going ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Excellent news. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

That is just wonderful news it really really it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Phew! (I started this update with the bad news on page 2 and was slightly dreading clicking page 3...)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Great to hear, Shane.
    Remember to keep positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

That's really great news :)

Thanks for taking the time to post here Shane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Great News :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Fantastic stuff, hopefully thats the worst of it over now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Shane,

My thoughts are with you and Cathy at the moment. I've never really spoken to her here except for one post, but I'm looking forward to her future posts here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Excellent news, especially after yesterday, keep on fighting guys

She is ok again this morning- but did not sleep at all last night and is not really able to focus (literally) on anything. Her breathing is still not good, but this morning's good news is it looks like the dialysis machine is going. She will be able to do proper short physiotherapy sessions once this happens. She is also starting to turn on the TV- but does not have any concentration and immediately turns it off again. Mental note to self, get a copy of the RTE guide on my way this morning.

Shane

Nothing like waking up to good news.
    Its great to hear that she improving.
    Still in my taughts.

James.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭greine

Good to hear Aoife's improving, ye are in my thoughts and prayers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

smccarrick wrote:
    She is ok again this morning- but did not sleep at all last night and is not really able to focus (literally) on anything. Her breathing is still not good, but this morning's good news is it looks like the dialysis machine is going. She will be able to do proper short physiotherapy sessions once this happens. She is also starting to turn on the TV- but does not have any concentration and immediately turns it off again. Mental note to self, get a copy of the RTE guide on my way this morning.

Shane

Give her our love Shane, it's great to hear things are getting better. An aside to the admins, when ye were thinking of creating boards, I know you were hoping to establish a sense of community. This thread should make you all proud, and Shane and Aoife, ye should be very proud of yourselves as well. This thread makes me happy, and I'll be even happier when Cathy can come back on and post again herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

That's great news, can't wait to hear more of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

tbh wrote:
    Give her our love Shane, it's great to hear things are getting better. An aside to the admins, when ye were thinking of creating boards, I know you were hoping to establish a sense of community. This thread should make you all proud, and Shane and Aoife, ye should be very proud of yourselves as well. This thread makes me happy, and I'll be even happier when Cathy can come back on and post again herself.

Ditto. Its amazing how you can admire someone you never even met, but CathyMoran has been in my thoughts all week, and you too Shane. Everytime i got angry/sad over something small and unimportant in the grand scheme of things, i thought of you two and gave myself a kick up the ass.

Shane thanks for taking the time to keep us updated. I know you must be tired physically and emotionally and corny as it sounds :o , we really are with you guys all the way . :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Hope things are going well for you both and can't wait to see Cathy posting again.

Sunday update. Its day 9 of ICU for Cathymoran now. Yesterday she was allowed to sip water for the first time, and managed to sit out on a chair briefly. Unfortunately her idea of sipping wasn't quite what the doctors was, and x-rays this morning show her chest a lot worse with more fluid than previously. She is going to have a gastric swallow test tomorrow morning to check how the surgery itself went. She is also back on dialysis again, and on noradrenalin to try to regulate her blood pressure. She really is going through the wars..... Hopefully she improves enough to go to a high dependency unit shortly.

• Advertisement

Its great to hear that she is making progress on the road to recovery. It would be great to hear that she is out of the ICU.

James.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Any progress is good news. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Its quite a roller coaster read up to here, CathyMoran(Aoife) really has touched a lot of lives. Aoife & Shane, I am thinking about ye.

Get well soon.

Hi all,

Aoife was not able to do her gastric swallow exam today, as when she was supposed to swallow the dye she was unable to. Its now been rescheduled for later in the week. Her noradrenalin has been increased to try to stabilise blood pressure- which is still all over the place with little or no warning. She does look much improved, and is asking for things that indicate she is on the road to recovery (such her mobile phone and her creative zen). She is not allowed to have them though. She pleaded with the doctor to be allowed to sip water again- and was thrilled to be let do so. Her pneumonia is still a problem- but her cough reflex is getting stronger, so hopefully she will be able to clear her lungs herself without too much manual intervention from the nurses (putting a tube down her mouth and navigating into her lungs to suction them- quite distressing as you might imagine). She has had a bit of a battle with the dialysis machine, and unfortunately will have to go back on it yet again. Her central line is causing problems though- so it may have to moved from her femoral artery to another artery (they are running out of possibilities......). One of the strange things about dialysis is the way it really chills the body- so she is in an airfilled blanket at 38 degrees, to try to keep her warm. They gave her sedatives before I left this evening- so fingers crossed she gets a good night sleep. The nursing staff there are amazing- their care and dilligence in looking after Aoife is impeccable.

Aoife still isn't up to watching the tv (her concentration levels are zilch) or reading- and is finding this incredibly frustrating in its own right.

Though progress is slow, and there have been more than a few setbacks- I looked at a picture of Aoife that I took a week ago for her, and compared it to her today- she is a different person. Aoife doesn't see it that way though- she is the type of person who tries to run before she can walk properly, and finds being unable to do anything at all and sleeping most of the day frustrating in the extreme. Sleep is as good a medicine as any other though- and she needs it.

Thankyou all for your kind words,

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Hope the treatment is going well, it sounds really tough.

Get well soon x x x.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Shane,
    I cannot begin to imagine how it must feel for both of you to go through this. you are both an inspiration and Aoife is such a strong person.

You are always in my thoughts and prayers and I really hope everything turns out well for you both.

Take care.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Best wishes and good luck. I hope you make a full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭littlesurfer

Hi Aoife and Shane,

My thoughts are with you. Its so great to hear your making progress, i know its a slow process. Wishing you all the best over the next days. Thinking of you

x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Cathy and Shane,

Hope you both aren't feeling too drained and that the progress continues.

All the best,

K.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update Shane, its great to see that Aoife is making progress no matter how slow.

I was thinking of arranging to send a get well soon card from the boards members to Aoife, if its ok with Shane.
    So hopefully we could get as many boards members as possible to sign it.
    If anybody is interested in signing the card then PM me and we can arrange something.

James.

Advertisement