Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q & A with HectorJelly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Flipper wrote:
    Do you prefer 6-max or full 9/10 handed tables? Why?
    How many tables do you play at once?
    Who is the best player(s) you've ever played with live?
    Do you think collusion is much of a problem online?

I much prefer 6 handed because it gives you a much bigger chance to actually outplay people. 9 handed is much more about just waiting for a good hand, there are so many more intresting and marginal situations 6 handed where a good player can use his edge.

I play 3 at once usually, sometimes 2 and sometimes 4. I dont enjoy poker very much if I play more than 4.

I havent played a great deal of live poker. One of my friends John Casey is probably the best live player ive played a lot with. Peter Heleseltin (not sure of the spelling!) is excellent as I mentioned before.

Not in any of the games Ive played. I think that most of the people who collude are probably losers and I doubt that they collude successfully. Now i have no experience of the big online NL or POL games so I dont know about there, but I would imagine it would be very difficult to get away with considering the railbirds and the sites tracking software. The thing about colluding is that to do it successfully you need to have a good understanding of poker, and if you have that you are probably a winner anyway, and dont need to collude.

I would imagine there is quite abit of low scale colluding going on at the mid or low levels, with players using msn and so on, but they would all be long term losers anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Solksjaer

One last question for you! Some (only) of your posts can come across as arrogant;) , (just how they read that's all) which of course I have no problem with as I'm better than everyone in the world at nearly everything (except girly stuff and wearing pink shirts) , so I understand the confidence factor :-)

What was the most outrageous/arrogant statement made by a 'known' player in your time in the game. You don't have to name him/her just the statement. (doubt it's a her though)

Enjoying these Q&As good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

Actually I have another question.

Have you ever taken a certified IQ test? If so what is your IQ? Was this achieved in Culture Fair or Catrell B? If you have taken both by how much did your scores differ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Do you think there is much collusion in online poker??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Ok sorry, flew off the handle there a bit!

I was 100% sure I had the best hand. I raise in the cutoff with 77 to 18k. Folded to the button who is an aggressive and not superb player. He looks at his cards and immmediately announces all in. Now I know from watching him he doesnt not have a monster. He pushed all in immediately, which is not what someone does when they get AA or anything decent at all. If he had AA KK QQ JJ he would want to get some value from the hand, the way he played it it was clear to me he wanted me to fold. I put him on a range of any pair up to TT, alot of aces. I dont even think his hand is as good as AK. Now it was 130k or so for me to call, and If I thought there was any chance I was dominated I wouldnt of called. I wasnt getting that good a price, so im only calling if I pretty sure im ahead. In fact because its the bubble its probably a slightly bad EV call, but part of my strategy for tournaments is to never fold in a spot where I think im a favourite. Im never going to let myself be bullied or pushed off a hand. Also I think given the circumstances if I win that pot I can do a hell of a lot with those chips. As a short/medium stack I cant really put that much pressure on my opponents. If I win that pot I think I go second in chips!
    im gald you see where i am coming from as you answered exactly the question i was asking. i wasnt sure from a personal poitn of view if i would have had the balls to call that and ollieboy was standing beside me and said you would never fold if you thought you were ahead no matter how much that was. good to hear it from the horses mouth to speak and you re-iterate what he said. its one of the best qualities in a top class player able to make tight calls in tough situations, it where the difference in class is imo. once you know you are ahead you simply wont fold the best hand.
    i also thought that your reasoninf for it may have had something to do with you playing for first rather thank limping which you outlined too. hl and thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement

im gald you see where i am coming from as you answered exactly the question i was asking. i wasnt sure from a personal poitn of view if i would have had the balls to call that and ollieboy was standing beside me and said you would never fold if you thought you were ahead no matter how much that was. good to hear it from the horses mouth to speak and you re-iterate what he said. its one of the best qualities in a top class player able to make tight calls in tough situations, it where the difference in class is imo. once you know you are ahead you simply wont fold the best hand.
    i also thought that your reasoninf for it may have had something to do with you playing for first rather thank limping which you outlined too. hl and thanks for the reply.

Well from reading the boards (a short time) HJ is obviously a very very good player. BUT, I simply think callin a ALL IN with 77s is not exactly that 'classy' a play. (So I don't agree with the other lads here). If you put a players range up to a pair of 10s then by your own reckoning you could well be behind. Personally I think to call here is a very risky play regardless of who you are. You are more than likely up agianst another pair or a race against two overs.
    I don't think I would ever call in this PARTICULAR situation and I do like to gamble. I suppose until I understand this I won't ever make it to the standard of very good player. I guess not all of us. (guess I won't turn pro so) From this I ask the man himself. If this was the WSOP and the exact same situation arose, would you call with 77 agianst an ALL IN when the VERY lucrative bubble was at hand. I think the bullying can be answered in other hands.

I just don't see it as a 'classy' play/call.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Solksjaer wrote:

I didnt see the hand even though i was there at the other table. I was too self righteous to go over so stayed in my own seat. I told the salavating LuckyLloyd to report back what happened.
    If you saw the suit he was wearing you would have been more impressed. And the Andy Dufrain walk as he made his exit was particularly classy i thought. Its the whole picture you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

I didnt see the hand even though i was there at the other table. I was too self righteous to go over so stayed in my own seat. I told the salavating LuckyLloyd to report back what happened.
    If you saw the suit he was wearing you would have been more impressed. And the Andy Dufrain walk as he made his exit was particularly classy i thought. Its the whole picture you see.

lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Solksjaer wrote:

I think the exact opposite. It's a great call that was made instantly knowing he was ahead. To make that play on the bubble where so many people tighten up like molluscs is something that'll only be done by great players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Solksjaer wrote:
    Well from reading the boards (a short time) HJ is obviously a very very good player. BUT, I simply think callin a ALL IN with 77s is not exactly that 'classy' a play. (So I don't agree with the other lads here). If you put a players range up to a pair of 10s then by your own reckoning you could well be behind. Personally I think to call here is a very risky play regardless of who you are. You are more than likely up agianst another pair or a race against two overs.
    I don't think I would ever call in this PARTICULAR situation and I do like to gamble. I suppose until I understand this I won't ever make it to the standard of very good player. I guess not all of us. (guess I won't turn pro so) From this I ask the man himself. If this was the WSOP and the exact same situation arose, would you call with 77 agianst an ALL IN when the VERY lucrative bubble was at hand. I think the bullying can be answered in other hands.

Its poker. P-O-K-E-R.

• Advertisement

LOL

There is only ONE walk, and it's the 'groucho walk' cigar twiddling in one hand, bent over, eye blows flashing
    Now there was a walk.

ianmc38 wrote:
    I think the exact opposite. It's a great call that was made instantly knowing he was ahead. To make that play on the bubble where so many people tighten up like molluscs is something that'll only be done by great players.

Agree to differ on that one so.

Guy made similar call on me in a mickey mouse tourny. I just didn't realise then what a classy call it was. At least now I know. He left the building

Still be interested to see if it were a million dollar call if it would have been made.

Opinions differ I'm sure he is a great player but I don't see the correlation with this hand and that quote. even if it is P O K E R

Solksjaer wrote:
    Agree to differ on that one so.

Guy made similar call on me in a mickey mouse tourny. I just didn't realise then what a classy call it was. At least now I know. He left the building

Your comparison of two totally unrelated stories to somehow debase the quality of HJs call is absurd. They are both indiviudal events that have no direct correlation. In your hand the guy made a bad read. In Daraghs case he made an excellent read.

ianmc38 wrote:
    Your comparison of two totally unrelated stories to somehow debase the quality of HJs call is absurd. They are both indiviudal events that have no direct correlation. In your hand the guy made a bad read. In Daraghs case he made an excellent read.

Absurd..not really, they guy was correct on his call, he got unlucky, his 55s were haead of my AK, I just got lucky the borad paired twice. What's absurd. The guy who called could have wiated for a better opportunity but he didn't as he thought he was ahead. Same logic for him. He was just playing a few months but I will tell him it was a classy move, at the time I adivsed different. My opinion of absurdity also differs from yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

Lads this is a high quality thread - dont spoil it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,213 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Willie, we all have differing opinions which is good. I happen to disagree with you on this one.

There is context: Darragh's opponent in this hand is a very aggressive player who is unafraid to get his chips in. The previous player out of the tourney had been eliminated by the villian when they got it in pre - flop 88 vs AK. The villian hit the flop to outrace the pocket pair.

There is also the fact that 1,500 wasn't making a difference to any of the participant's lives. In reality, everyone who was left in the tourney at that stage should have been thinking about the final table - and shooting for the big money. Darragh was clearly playing to win.

So,

Darragh riases with 77 and is stuck in by his opponent. If Darragh is certain that his opponent has two overcards then he is marginally ahead. Considering the fact that the pot already contains his initial raise, plus the call of that raise, plus the blinds - then he is getting a price that is better than 1 / 1. He has a mathamatical edge and is getting value in the pot.

If he stands up (which he will do more than half the time versus AQo), he then has a big stack and can confidently come back the next day with a better opportunity to use his edge shorthanded before the final table. He would be looking at a good chance of hitting the final table in the top three in chips and going for the outright win.

As such, it is a brave and correct call. Most players won't have the guts to make it - that's why it is impressive.

Well my point is not that is wasn't a correct or good call. I just disagree it was such a GREAT call. I probably would not have done it and went home anyway but as I've seen players of all levels make a similar calls I think it was just a good standard call. I totally disagree it was so 'high class' that's all. Well it didn't exactly impress me as it did you guys.

Thanks for the background though lloyd.

Lads this is a high quality thread - dont spoil it.
    you are right! No more comment on it! MODs delelte my posts so the Q and A stays on track.

You're right BCB.

Back on topic.

You're playing against a table of average opponents all with 100BB stacks. You also have a 100BB stack. There's raise from UTG to 4xBB.

What range of hands will you call with:

1. On the button
    2. From the cutoff

Will this range widen if more people have called the preflop raise?

At the same table it's folded to you in the cutoff/button. What range of hands will you raise with?

How do you play rag aces from these positions in an unopened pot? Is it an autoraise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

Is there any person you've played with live in the last few months that's really impressed you?
    Have you witnessed a hand play out and think "wow he played that well"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Were you bluffing when you raised me in the last boards 200 game in the SE?

4 limpers including me in cut off, you on button and two others. Flop (600) A75r checked to me, I bet 400 and you made it 1100. I folded. It was quite obvious neither of us had an ace, unless of course you limped on the button with one. I had 56 and was close to pushing. Do you think a push would have been stupid against your range?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Sparky1808

Fortunately i've asked Hector a lot of questions in the past, so can't think of any off hand at the moment. Just wanted to say this is a quality thread and I have a lot of time for Hectorjelly, always.

Top class player and great craic!

Keep 'er lit mate and good luck with the bankroll.

:) Your number 1 fan ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Unfortunately all the questions have been asked, so none left for me. But I agree with Sparky, quality thread. These 'well' posts should be linked in the WIKI and/or Musicians beginners sticky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

Cheers for doing this hector great read, also Bops fuzzbox and NOD think it was only four so far, but already proving a great addition to the forum.

If the blogs get stickied might be an idea to link these treads there also

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Best thing about poker being a part of your life?
    Worst thing about poker being part of your life?

DeV.

Solksjaer wrote:

What was the most outrageous/arrogant statement made by a 'known' player in your time in the game. You don't have to name him/her just the statement. (doubt it's a her though)

Ive never heard anyone say anything that outragous in real life.

Actually I have another question.

Have you ever taken a certified IQ test? If so what is your IQ? Was this achieved in Culture Fair or Catrell B? If you have taken both by how much did your scores differ?

No I havent. Id be kind of scared to do one, what happens if it turns out im an idiot!

Solksjaer wrote:
    If you put a players range up to a pair of 10s

He can have any of the following hands

AT AJ AQ
    22 33 44 55 66 77 88 99 10 10
    only 3 of them beat me (and all the ax hands are more common than the pairs). Also there is a small but significent chance his range is a little looser and he has things like A5.

Scotty # wrote:
    Do you think there is much collusion in online poker??

Not really. I answered this in a bit more detail above somewhere!

• Advertisement

ianmc38 wrote:
    You're right BCB.

Back on topic.

You're playing against a table of average opponents all with 100BB stacks. You also have a 100BB stack. There's raise from UTG to 4xBB.

What range of hands will you call with:

1. On the button
    2. From the cutoff

Will this range widen if more people have called the preflop raise?

At the same table it's folded to you in the cutoff/button. What range of hands will you raise with?

How do you play rag aces from these positions in an unopened pot? Is it an autoraise?

It depends on who the player is. The worse he is the wider the range. I do very little cold calling preflop though and unless he is real bad im probably folding everything below 88. If another person calls I will call with any pair. From time to time I may call with suited broadway or connectors but my default would be to fold.

From the cutoff and button my range is very wide. I consider ax an autoraise from these positions, you probably have the best hand.

Advertisement