Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q & A with HectorJelly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

What situation makes you uncomfortable at a poker table? (other than playing outside your roll).

Which well renowned Irish player do you think is the most overrated?

Could you ever lay down a set in fear that you are behind to an overset?

What is your tipple of choice?

How would you change the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭handsfree

what age are you?

i always had you pinned down as a grumpy 40 yr old!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Do you believe in the idea of a soul? If yes, what would your interpretation of it be?

If you had to follow one religion which would it be and why (assuming you don't already)?

Have you watched/listened to any material by Bill Hicks? Thoughts?

Do you gamble at all? Football, GGs etc?

Do you have a set figure that you want to save before retirement? If you hit this figure, could you genuinely envisage giving up poker and not playing again?

Do you intend to live in Ireland for life or do you see yourself living elsewhere?

Where do you think most mistakes are made in poker? Preflop/flop/turn/river?

How long do you think it would take you to mentor an intelligent person with no poker knowledge to become a winning player?

How long were you playing the game before you were a winning player?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

What do you see as the main differences between PES6 on XBox and Playstation?

Do you place much importance on form. i.e. woiuld you take off someone like Ronaldinho if he was on blue form?

How can I improve my PES?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Could you answer my question in the KK oop thread? ;)

Keeping your emotions in check is an important part of any good poker player's game. Do you think practising such a thing has adverse affects on you as a person?

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being fuzzbox and 1 being whoever you think is terrible, how good a poker player do you think I am compared to the other posters on this board?

Do you tend to play things by ear? or play things by year?

• Advertisement

Xbox = Much better. That's the only part that matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Ola Senor Jelly,

what has been the most important lesson you've learnt at the poker table?

any good 'poker as metaphor for life' stuff to share with us?

is this Tournament Life Syndrome all a bunch of crap or what?

which pro poker player would you least like to be in a fight with?

do you ever speechplay live? are you ever affected by your (live) opponent's speech play? do you place much store in speech tells?

Muchos Gracias,

el S

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Do you think you are a much better player now than you were at this time last year?

Do you hope to be a much better player again this time next year?

When was the alst time you identified a weakness in your game (aside from tilting and boredom) that you corrected and what was it?

Do you have any desire to learn to play any other games to a high standard and profitable level or are you happy being a Hold'em head? If so is it only potential loss of earnings that are holding you back?

Do you ever set yourself challenges or goals?

Do you genuinely not care if people think you are a condescending poster, or are you somewhat upset by it, but don't think you can get across your point in another fashion?

Do you ever wear pink shirts, and if not do you have any opinions or ever make fun of those that do wear them?

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭White Knight

Do you enjoy confrontation?

You have AsQs in middle position. An early position player calls before you preflop, and you raise. One late position player calls the two bets, and the early position player calls your raise. Both blinds fold. Three of you see the flop: Ts4cJh. The early position player bets. Should you call, raise or fold?

When people ask "what three things would you bring with you on a desert island?" no one ever replies, "A BOAT" - what would your 3 things be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

nicnicnic wrote:
    why are you playing 1/2 2/4 and whats the highest you have played for a prolonged period previously

Rebuilding my roll so I can go back to 36 and higher. I played 36 for 50k hands

• Advertisement

fuzzbox wrote:
    Have you ever minraised :-)?

If yes ... have you ever CHECK/minraised?

What did you have when you check/minraised :-).

What street did you minraise on?
    Why did you minraise?

I bet you love minraising.

Yeah I do min raise occasionaly. I very rarely do checkmin raise as well, allthough it really isnt very often. I usually fold if ive been check minraised allthough if I have any outs I ill often call. The last time I min raised was preflop. I made it 10 to go utg with AA(12), 4 callers. The bb then make it 40 to go, he was a total idiot, so I min raised him. I just wanted to make sure I got it heads up. Everyone else folded and he pushed with KTs.

I enjoy playing with players who min raise a lot.

What situation makes you uncomfortable at a poker table? (other than playing outside your roll).

Which well renowned Irish player do you think is the most overrated?

Could you ever lay down a set in fear that you are behind to an overset?

What is your tipple of choice?

How would you change the world?

People who sing, very aggressive good players.

A lot of the tournament winners ive seen do some technically awful things. There is a lot of praise given in the poker world and a lot of it is unfounded IMO. That said some of these players are very good at some things, just not the basics.

yes

beer or whiskey

I wouldnt change a whole lot. I would ban religons and stop people with out the ability for rational thought at a reasnable level from voting.

ianmc38 wrote:
    Do you believe in the idea of a soul? If yes, what would your interpretation of it be?

I dont belive in a soul
    ianmc38 wrote:
    If you had to follow one religion which would it be and why (assuming you don't already)?

Buddhism is probably the least offensive to me, but im not very close to becoming a buddhist.

ianmc38 wrote:
    Have you watched/listened to any material by Bill Hicks? Thoughts?

Very funny
    ianmc38 wrote:
    Do you gamble at all? Football, GGs etc?

I will be large amounts of money (well not that large) if I feel I have any sort of an edge. So that means i never bet in bookies, and always just with friends. They would be much better of never accepting a bet from me because if they are they are nearly always getting the worst from it. I love going bowling, being clearly the worst at it, but still leaving with 100dollars in my pocket because I gamble well!
    ianmc38 wrote:
    Do you have a set figure that you want to save before retirement? If you hit this figure, could you genuinely envisage giving up poker and not playing again?

Yeah im not sure, I said above that if I won the euro milllions I would stop playing poker. I think I woulld actually still play, but just as a recreational thing once a month or so. I find it hard to play well if the money doesnt mean anything to me, so maybe I would become a very rich whale. I dont have a set figure, it would just be enough so that I realised I never had to work again!

ianmc38 wrote:
    Do you intend to live in Ireland for life or do you see yourself living elsewhere?

I can see myself living somewhere else but im not sure. At the moment im just going to take breaks from ireland as much as possible. Im going to cuba in march and going to travel around Europe before that if I can spare the time.Im going to vist lego land which ive wanted to go to since I was about 6

ianmc38 wrote:
    Where do you think most mistakes are made in poker? Preflop/flop/turn/river?

Preflop is really important, and its very hard to fade preflop mistakes no matter how good you are after the flop. That said in a cash game id prefer to play someone who was awful after the flop than someone who was awful preflop but good after the flop. Not that you see many people like that!

The river is where I see good players make a tonne of mistakes. My friends are all generally very good winning players, and they all play the river pretty badly imo. In a cash game the river is really really important. If you can learn to often make very aggressive thin value bets your winrate will shoot up. The river is very important for a number of reasons, not least because its the only street where your opponents (or you) never have any equity. A good player should very rarely check behind on the river against a non tricky opponent with a hand he thinks is probably best.

ianmc38 wrote:
    How long do you think it would take you to mentor an intelligent person with no poker knowledge to become a winning player?

Depending on the player, 3 weeks to never.
    ianmc38 wrote:
    How long were you playing the game before you were a winning player?

About a year of playing once a week and never reading or studying it

Rnger wrote:
    Could you answer my question in the KK oop thread? ;)

Done!
    Rnger wrote:
    Keeping your emotions in check is an important part of any good poker player's game. Do you think practising such a thing has adverse affects on you as a person?

No the opposite in fact, I think it makes you a stronger person more capable of dealing with things.
    Rnger wrote:
    On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being fuzzbox and 1 being whoever you think is terrible, how good a poker player do you think I am compared to the other posters on this board?

This is only a very rough idea, but from a few of your comments questions 7 or 8.
    Rnger wrote:
    Do you tend to play things by ear? or play things by year?

I usually use my fingers

Ola Senor Jelly,

what has been the most important lesson you've learnt at the poker table?

Keep your cards protected
    any good 'poker as metaphor for life' stuff to share with us?

Not off the top of my head, sorry!
    is this Tournament Life Syndrome all a bunch of crap or what?

Well its not completely crap, but its not something that should be foremost in your mind. Also it only makes sense if you are genuinely the best player, or maybe the second best at the table, and you have a large edge over the others. This is probably the case a lot less than people imagine.

A lot of what is written about tournaments on this forum is really wrong though, and the type of thinking that is bandied about will lead to bad results. Disregarding pot odds in a poker tournament is like a football player choosing to ignore the flight of a ball in a football game because its a tournament rather than a league game.

which pro poker player would you least like to be in a fight with?

Sam grizzle , or the eskimo
    do you ever speechplay live? are you ever affected by your (live) opponent's speech play? do you place much store in speech tells?

I have done, but not very much. Usually only when ive been drinking. I talked someone into folding aces in a large pot in vegas which was great. I like when people talk to me during hands because their intentions are usually clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

im not sure Im going to answer this post. Did I care if was I ahead? No I was hoping he had aces so I could get knocked out
    i dont mean to sound like that; i meant it in the sense along the lines that you felt maybe you were getting the odds to call.
    For example if you had Ako, and thought that even though there is a chance he may have a pair you were either pot committed/getting the odds to call. i only ask because of all the talk recently about calling imaginary all ins on 50-50`s. sorry if it came across differently.
    i was interested when i seen the hand play out (from the rail) to hear your opinions on it. no sweat if you dont feel like answering it, i know it wasnt all that long ago.

5starpool wrote:
    Do you think you are a much better player now than you were at this time last year?

Yeah without a doubt, I am much better.
    5starpool wrote:
    Do you hope to be a much better player again this time next year?

If im not, I wont be playing
    5starpool wrote:
    When was the alst time you identified a weakness in your game (aside from tilting and boredom) that you corrected and what was it?

It hasnt happened recently that ive found any large weaknesses, but I continually adjust how I play depending on the games im in. The lower stakes games im in the more passively I tend to play ak and so on, and the less bluffing I do.

5starpool wrote:
    Do you have any desire to learn to play any other games to a high standard and profitable level or are you happy being a Hold'em head? If so is it only potential loss of earnings that are holding you back?

I find it hard to play more than one game to an expert level. I think hold em is a real art form that I have a flair and a really good feel for. When I play omaha I literally feel at sea and I can feel it disrupting my hold em game. I can see it disrupting my friends hold em games as well. I admire players who can play 2 games interchangably.

The other point on this subject is I already spend too much of my time on poker, I like to keep it to a minimum. I think if I tried to pick up a new game I would have to invest more time which I dont want to do.
    5starpool wrote:
    Do you ever set yourself challenges or goals?

Sometimes!
    5starpool wrote:
    Do you genuinely not care if people think you are a condescending poster, or are you somewhat upset by it, but don't think you can get across your point in another fashion?

It doesnt really bother my too much what people think of me. My friends all think im a condescending cnut as well. Ive made an attempt to be more reasnable in my posting this year, I dont know if anyone noticed. I never set out to offend people, but I have a very low tolerance for bad logic. I also want this board to be truly excellent and a source of top quality advice for all irish poker players. I want to see irish poker players do as well as possible, and that success will depend on resources like this board. That means that everyone who posts here has a duty to not post bad advice. I would much rather be known as a prick who posts good advice than a nice guy who posts bad advice.
    5starpool wrote:

Do you ever wear pink shirts, and if not do you have any opinions or ever make fun of those that do wear them?

I think they look ridiculous and i often make fun of them. My dad wore one recently which was very embaressing. Salmon pink!

Do you place much importance on form. i.e. woiuld you take off someone like Ronaldinho if he was on blue form?

How can I improve my PES?

Ive only played pro ev 6 on the xbox very briefly. It seems totally differnent. The graphics are way nicer.

When I play we always put all players to top form.

Play a lot of the free practice and get a good feel for the game, and the movement of the ball. Really concentrate on shooting when your players body is in just the right spot.

I think they look ridiculous and i often make fun of them. My dad wore one recently which was very embaressing. Salmon pink!

Surely it isn't AnthonyMcConnell.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

what are the last three non fiction books that you read? or do you read books?

• Advertisement

i dont mean to sound like that; i meant it in the sense along the lines that you felt maybe you were getting the odds to call.
    For example if you had Ako, and thought that even though there is a chance he may have a pair you were either pot committed/getting the odds to call. i only ask because of all the talk recently about calling imaginary all ins on 50-50`s. sorry if it came across differently.
    i was interested when i seen the hand play out (from the rail) to hear your opinions on it. no sweat if you dont feel like answering it, i know it wasnt all that long ago.

Ok sorry, flew off the handle there a bit!

I was 100% sure I had the best hand. I raise in the cutoff with 77 to 18k. Folded to the button who is an aggressive and not superb player. He looks at his cards and immmediately announces all in. Now I know from watching him he doesnt not have a monster. He pushed all in immediately, which is not what someone does when they get AA or anything decent at all. If he had AA KK QQ JJ he would want to get some value from the hand, the way he played it it was clear to me he wanted me to fold. I put him on a range of any pair up to TT, alot of aces. I dont even think his hand is as good as AK. Now it was 130k or so for me to call, and If I thought there was any chance I was dominated I wouldnt of called. I wasnt getting that good a price, so im only calling if I pretty sure im ahead. In fact because its the bubble its probably a slightly bad EV call, but part of my strategy for tournaments is to never fold in a spot where I think im a favourite. Im never going to let myself be bullied or pushed off a hand. Also I think given the circumstances if I win that pot I can do a hell of a lot with those chips. As a short/medium stack I cant really put that much pressure on my opponents. If I win that pot I think I go second in chips!

handsfree wrote:
    what age are you?

i always had you pinned down as a grumpy 40 yr old!!;)

Soon to be 27 :(

sikes wrote:
    what are the last three non fiction books that you read? or do you read books?

I dont read that much non fiction, I read a lot of fiction. The last three non fiction books I read were a book on infinity that was excellent, a mathamatican plays the stock market which was excellent as well, and a book on the history of computers which was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,213 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

Do you enjoy confrontation?

You have AsQs in middle position. An early position player calls before you preflop, and you raise. One late position player calls the two bets, and the early position player calls your raise. Both blinds fold. Three of you see the flop: Ts4cJh. The early position player bets. Should you call, raise or fold?

When people ask "what three things would you bring with you on a desert island?" no one ever replies, "A BOAT" - what would your 3 things be?

Yes

Depends on the stacks and players. Sometimes raise, sometimes fold, sometimes call.

A helicopter, a magic genie to grant me wishes and a neverending gobstopper

EDIT, Just realised that was alimit question. I never play limit, id guess the answer is raise though.

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Darragh, I think you made a wonderful call in this hand and it was, IMO, the call of a player that was purely interested in winning the tournament. And I think you might have done if you had held up.

However, I really disagree with the above comment for I cannot think of many Irish players who are better than him from what I have seen. That said, we might simply not agree - and so what...:)

I havent played with him very much, just a few cash games where he was continually overaggressive, so Ill accept your judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

1000BB headsup HE match, blinds do not increase.
    You play against fuzzbox, PillowTalk, Dathio, Roundtower. Which of these matches do you win/lose and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Who knocked you out of the GJP ME?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Flipper

Do you prefer 6-max or full 9/10 handed tables? Why?
    How many tables do you play at once?
    Who is the best player(s) you've ever played with live?
    Do you think collusion is much of a problem online?

• Advertisement

lafortezza wrote:
    1000BB headsup HE match, blinds do not increase.
    You play against fuzzbox, PillowTalk, Dathio, Roundtower. Which of these matches do you win/lose and why?

ok, well Dathio may be the easiest. He is mainly a tournament player (a damn fine one as well!) and the thouand blinds may thow him a bit, Pillowtalk would be tough as I think he has a lot of high limit heads up experience. It may come down to who runs well or whoever adapts to the others game the fastest. Fuzz and I I think would quickly turn into me trying to run him over, allthough with 1k blinds he can afford to do a lot of waiting. Maybe my best plan would be to outrock him knowing he would want to get backto his newly enlarged family.

I should probably note that I think I played Dathio heads up once and lost!

Against Roundtower it would be just a case of waiting him to shove preflop with 22.

Advertisement