Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q & A with HectorJelly

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

smurph wrote:
    What do you think of the overall standard of live poker in Ireland?

Very bad
    smurph wrote:
    Do you think that the Irish Scene is influenced by what people see on Telly and the assumption that it is okay to act like a t*t at the table?

Yeah the young people certainly. I think anyone who celebrate after winning a single hand in poker should be taken outside and shot
    smurph wrote:
    Would you ever think of teaching people poker

Yes I would give coaching for roughly my hourly rate
    smurph wrote:
    Would you ever sponsor a player in an event

Probably only a close friend
    smurph wrote:
    How do you handle tilt

Stop playing.
    smurph wrote:
    Do you think the chiefs game has tightened up lately?

No, ive only played with him 3 times though
    smurph wrote:
    Have you ever called a bet on the River to get information on a player for later in a tournament.

No and I think it would be bad to do so. I often call bets on the river knowing im probably beaten though, but the odds on offer are too good to pass up

smurph wrote:
    Thanks
    ps happy Christmas and all that cr*p

Happy christmas to you and your family too!

poker4life wrote:
    You seem to loathe "regular" employment. If you were offered a regular 9-5 job, that paid as much as you earn annually playing poker (or as much as you hope to earn), would you take it? If not, why not?

??? Of course not. I wouldnt because my lifestyle is much better than having a 9 to 5 job and I would be giving up loads of my free time. I dont really understand this question! I would take a job if I was guaranteed a lot of money and I had to work something like 15 hours a week. Not too likely though!
    poker4life wrote:
    Do you accept that poker is a form of gambling? And that no matter how astute a player you are, or how good your understanding of the game is, it is still a form of gambling?

I think that is a completely irrelevant argument. If was starting a business and people kept telling me it was a gamble i would probably hit them. Nearly every gamble people consider to be gambling (ie horse lottery etc) is really - EV and a terrible thing. People realise that and so gambling now (quite rightly) has negative connotations. So yes technically it is gambling but I have much more in common with a businessman than some guy backing a horse
    poker4life wrote:
    Do you consider yourself an outsider?

Sometimes

poker4life wrote:
    Do you think that you, Daragh <second name>, are more important to society than certain other people? You don't pay tax after all...

I do pay some tax, but not much. I worked for over 5 years and payed a lot of tax then.I dont think im very important to society no. Allthough Im part of several groups that as a whole are more important than the average person.
    poker4life wrote:
    Is a homeless person just as worthy of respect as you are?

Well its not really a fair question. I mean on some levels yes, everyone who has a home has achieved in some way than a person without one, but then the circumstances that have led to where we all are very different. I think every human deserves a certain amount of respect. I cerainly dont think I deserve more respect than other people, I would respect someone more who did something more usefull more than me, like an ambulance driver or a teacher or something.
    poker4life wrote:
    Why do you think it is so important for you not to work for someone else?

Well I did it for 4 years and I may do it again, its just not easy for me. I dont tend to respect other peoples judgement or opinions unless i have good reason to, and I tend to think through things very fast and get very impatient when other peole dont. Im not the easiest to work with and do much better work on my own
    poker4life wrote:
    In what percent of the world's best players do you rate yourself? Top 10%? 5%?

That question isnt phrased exactly enough for me to answer it. What does best players mean? I mean im not a world class player by any stretch of the imagaination. I hope to be some day.

poker4life wrote:
    If you rate yourself highly, why do you think (and I don't mean disrespect here) you are still basically grinding it out at 1/2, or 2/4?

Well im going in the right direction, 2 months ago i was playing 50 1. Its not like ive been stuck at them for ages. I made plenty of mistakes this year (mostly to do with money management), hopefully I wont make them again. This year has been a failure for me in many ways, and i certainly dont rate what ive done that highly. Considering what I could of made in the real world ive done well, and ive also had a very good year in terms of my social life and traveeling the world but im actually pretty disgusted at myself in poker terms.
    poker4life wrote:
    And finally, do you think you are special? (Not unique, but special or better than the majority of others).

Depends on what attributes you are measuring.

djsctt wrote:
    Very interesting read, thanks for taking the time to answer. Few more for ya:

For online cash do you normally play Tribeca, or are there any other networks that you regularly play ?

Mainly tribeca
    djsctt wrote:
    Do you have a RB deal ?

Yeah, I actually got screwed by last rakeback provider which was a pain. Im with GJP now who are very trustworthy.
    djsctt wrote:
    At 6max cash, how tight do you usually play UTG (or UTG +1 first in) ? How would you typically play low pp's from this position against a table of average players ?

Very tight. At the very low levels, against very bad very opassive players I will limp any pp utg. If there is much raising going on ill normally fold PPs utg.
    djsctt wrote:
    For online cash, at the start, did you spend any significant amount of time playing your way up through the micro limits, or did you jump straight in at 50/1 ?

Thanks.

I started at 50 1 but I was already reasnably good at poker.

lafortezza wrote:
    Would you consider taking a staking deal to be able to play 5/10NL, 10/20NL and higher now, instead of a year or more down the line? If so what kind of staking deal would you find fairest?
    Would you prefer to get there under your own steam?

I would prefer to get their under my own steam, allthough I am wasting my time a bit at the moment beating limits that ive already well beaten. So I would consider a staking deal if it was offered to me, but I doubt it will. Its not something im going to go looking for and it would have to be with someone I know well and trust. I dont want to wake up in the morning with a cock on my back!

I have no experience of knowledge of staking deals really, so I dont know what i would do. Id reseach it and ask some ppl that had done it before what they thought.

kincsem wrote:
    You're missing out on all the brown-nosing and arse-licking that is such an attractive part of modern Irish office life.

Ive been there!

• Advertisement

Lazare wrote:
    When you're sitting in the 10 seat, and there's a busty female dealer, are you more or less concious of seat 1's stack size compared to the rest of the table?

When im in seat 1 I never have any idea of how much chips seat 9/10 have. When there is a busty dealer i may try and find out harder though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

How much do you charge for chess lessons?

Great thread Daragh. Recently I've been doing mostly voluntary coaching, when I was working at it I charged €40/hr. Are you interested, or just curious?

Have you noticed any difference in the games you play online since the US "ban"? Do you expect to if legislation is enforced?

What do you think of the whole Reggie situation? Isn't it sad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

Hi Daragh,
    Well done on your trip to the "well". Your answers are very informative and truthful as usual.
    In a 1-2 on line cash game,and you have position on an aggressive player,how often do you reraise with AA or KK pre-flop, (or how often do you just smooth call his raise to hide the strength of your hand)?

Keep up the good work!

RoundTower wrote:
    Great thread Daragh. Recently I've been doing mostly voluntary coaching, when I was working at it I charged €40/hr. Are you interested, or just curious?

I am interested (if you still give them), allthough it will be some time next year. I got a lot better at chess this year then seemed to hit a wall.
    RoundTower wrote:
    Have you noticed any difference in the games you play online since the US "ban"? Do you expect to if legislation is enforced?

I havent noticed any change bar party seeming empty. I think there wil be big changes if it enforced, and i hope this doesnt happen.
    RoundTower wrote:
    What do you think of the whole Reggie situation? Isn't it sad?

No on the contary, roads need building, walls need mending; society needs more than just pokerplayers! So fair play to reggie, an honest days pay for an honest days work.

connie147 wrote:
    Hi Daragh,
    Well done on your trip to the "well". Your answers are very informative and truthful as usual.
    In a 1-2 on line cash game,and you have position on an aggressive player,how often do you reraise with AA or KK pre-flop, (or how often do you just smooth call his raise to hide the strength of your hand)?

Keep up the good work!

At the moment I would never smooth call a raise with AA or KK, I would always reraise. I might not three bet but thats a different situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

RoundTower wrote:

40e an hour to learn to play chess!!!

Would you do a group discount for boardsie chess players

I'll stop hijacking now sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rag2gar

Who is the greatest formula 1 driver of all time?

Oasis or blur?

Jessica or ashlee simpson?

Ram Vaswani or Dave Colclough?

Liverpool or Arsenal?

Tony McCoy or Ruby Walsh?

Dylan Moran or Tommy Tiernan?

Cadburys or Nestle?

Yahoo or Google?

Heads or Tails?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

ntlbell wrote:
    40e an hour to learn to play chess!!!

Would you do a group discount for boardsie chess players

I'll stop hijacking now sorry

It's not 40/person/hr, if thats what you mean, a group would split the cost. Also if you want to do a few lessons we can work something out. Anyway contact me by PM if interested, this thread has got hijacked with enough other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

what is your hourly rate?

how long were you playing before you became a winning player?

if you have been playing for the past 5 years why were you still playing 50-1 up to 2 months ago, were you just comfortable at that level?

have you any plans to play some big buy in tourneys next year, irish open, epts, wsop etc?

have you played with anyone this year who you genuinely thought was a much better player than you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

How did you first come across the boards poker forum?

You mentioned at .5/1 you made a profit out of the sb, what was your "Vol. Put $ In Pot"?

How did you first come across the boards poker forum?

You mentioned at .5/1 you made a profit out of the sb, what was your "Vol. Put $ In Pot"?

No Idea now. I remember reading De Vore mentioning always playing 72 if it was suited though!

42%

mdwexford wrote:
    what is your hourly rate?

$70 an hour at $1 $2 which im playing the most of at the moment. Thats from the last month or two, this month alone its around $30. ive been running very very badly
    mdwexford wrote:
    how long were you playing before you became a winning player?

About a year

mdwexford wrote:
    if you have been playing for the past 5 years why were you still playing 50-1 up to 2 months ago, were you just comfortable at that level?

I played 50 1 for a little while to make sure my BR was safe and I was playing ok, I had gone through a month of losing at 36 and had pretty much forgotten how to play poker.
    mdwexford wrote:
    This
    have you any plans to play some big buy in tourneys next year, irish open, epts, wsop etc?

If I have the spare cash!

[/QUOTE]
    have you played with anyone this year who you genuinely thought was a much better player than you?
    [/QUOTE]

This has never happened to me playing hold em. Ive played with some people who seemed to have been on roughly the same level as me.

rag2gar wrote:
    Who is the greatest formula 1 driver of all time?

Senna. Im no expert though
    rag2gar wrote:
    Oasis or blur?

Philip Glass
    rag2gar wrote:
    Jessica or ashlee simpson?

No idea
    rag2gar wrote:
    Ram Vaswani or Dave Colclough?

Ive heard Ram is the only guy from the Hendon Mob who actually has any talent, so him. I dont know anything about Dave C though.
    rag2gar wrote:
    Liverpool or Arsenal?

Liverpool are a mediocre team with rubbish players. Arsenal are a excellent team filled with very talented players.
    rag2gar wrote:
    Tony McCoy or Ruby Walsh?

I dont know anything about horse racing
    rag2gar wrote:
    Dylan Moran or Tommy Tiernan?

Havent seen either
    rag2gar wrote:
    Cadburys or Nestle?

Which ever one kills the most african babies
    rag2gar wrote:
    Yahoo or Google?

rag2gar wrote:
    Heads or Tails?
    no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Seeing as your time is nearly up, I'd better ask a few while I have a chance:

1. Can you give an example or two of how you apply game theory to your game. Also, is game theory something that is useful even in SSNL, or is it more useful at higher levels?

2. Online, you seem to pay more attention to taking notes on players, rather than relying on PT. What are the most important things you look for in SSNL levels up to 2/4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

Intresting reading hj.

Im just wondering do you have any financial major commitments at present?
    Ie monthly rent-a mortgage?Do you take a set monthly amount out of your winnings to pay living expenses or do you have a set lump sum which covers these for a period of time?

Do you put money into a plan for the future akin to a pension?

Does the unsteady financial life of a poker player ever unnerve you at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Happy Camper

What is your BB per 100 hands at 2-4/3-6 (including Rakeback)?

Are you worried about the medium/longterm (5-15 years) viablity of online poker as a carreer?

If so, what's your backup? Are you saving much?

Is "TECHNO" an onomatopoeia?

Seeing as your time is nearly up, I'd better ask a few while I have a chance:

1. Can you give an example or two of how you apply game theory to your game. Also, is game theory something that is useful even in SSNL, or is it more useful at higher levels?

2. Online, you seem to pay more attention to taking notes on players, rather than relying on PT. What are the most important things you look for in SSNL levels up to 2/4.

Well against players who are paying attention I try to balance my frequencies to make myself unexploitable. What that means in practice is that there are many situations in which I set what I feel is a good frequency. So I will fire a certain % of second barrells, and even third ones; with nothing. I think a knowledge of game theory just lets you understand poker better, its not going to give you a new line for a hand.

I use PT a lot, but l like to get a feel for aplayer and express it in words. PT stats can hide a lot, and often you will get players with similar stats but who are totally different opponents. I look for mistakes that are easily expoitable, like always does xxx with xxx.

jbravado wrote:
    Intresting reading hj.

Im just wondering do you have any financial major commitments at present?
    Ie monthly rent-a mortgage?Do you take a set monthly amount out of your winnings to pay living expenses or do you have a set lump sum which covers these for a period of time?

Do you put money into a plan for the future akin to a pension?

Does the unsteady financial life of a poker player ever unnerve you at all?

I pay rent once a month. I just take money out of my bankroll whenever my living funds get low, theres probably a better way to manage your money/.=.

I dont but its something I should start doing.

Yes quite often when im running badly.

What is your BB per 100 hands at 2-4/3-6 (including Rakeback)?

Are you worried about the medium/longterm (5-15 years) viablity of online poker as a carreer?

If so, what's your backup? Are you saving much?

Is "TECHNO" an onomatopoeia?

8PT/BB for 2/4 over every hand ive ever recorded, 6PT/BB for 3/6. Thats not including rakeback. Is there an easy way to work this out? Ive only recently started getting rb consistantly

Yes I am worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Happy Camper

8PT/BB for 2/4 over every hand ive ever recorded, 6PT/BB for 3/6. Thats not including rakeback. Is there an easy way to work this out? Ive only recently started getting rb consistantly

Yes I am worried.

The way I worked it out was very convoluted. If I paid 18 in Tournament Registration, I would get roughly 6 dollars in Rakeback (30%). Paying 18 in registration also gets me 90 Player Points ,which is roughly the amount of player points I get per hour per table cash gaming at 2-4 Shorthanded, so I get about $6 per hour per table.

Advertisement