Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q & A with HectorJelly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

I agree with all those, though I also think TheWorstPlayer is a very good poster as is BLD. Pete fabrizio is a very good poster too, though he mainly posts in the PLO forums. I think there are a lot of noob posters who act like idiots on there now and dumb down the content level.

Also we usually play every saturday but lately we havent been getting very many numbers. If we can get a decent number this saturday, I'll let you know.

Thanks for the answers!

Yeah I should of include theworstplayer. Im sure I left out one or 2 others as well. Ml4l is excellent allthough he doesnt post much now. I dont really read the omaha forums.

That would be great, Im only playing once a week at the moment which sucks!

No problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

Dont know youre background so hope you dont think im being intrusive but why did you go to Poland...friends,job or was it the cheap living and how did you find it, did you speak any polish.

Always found Polish people pretty friendly and it would be nice to take a trip there for a few months if you were making a few hundred a week on poker when you compare the price of food,drink and accommodation you could have a whale of a time there for the same money and live pretty well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

How can a person tell if they actually have what it takes to succeed at high stakes a priori?

How many people do you know who played low/middle stakes poker for up to 5 years before making the breakthrough to high stakes poker (meaning at least 10/20 NL)?

If maths isn't that important for higher stakes poker and one's emotional makeup is, considering that you rate maths your strongest point and your emotional makeup your weakest why is it that you are convinced you can play high stakes poker?

Do you think many high stakes cash poker players would rank patience ahead of aggression as a skill necessary for successful poker?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

so you are dying to go to the mens room when you are 6 handed in a tourney. Everyone is getting paid.

When do you go if its:

A no1
    B no2

This is semi serious btw

And good stuff so far

hotspur wrote:
    How can a person tell if they actually have what it takes to succeed at high stakes a priori?

I dont know, winning at every level you play is probably a good indication
    hotspur wrote:
    How many people do you know who played low/middle stakes poker for up to 5 years before making the breakthrough to high stakes poker (meaning at least 10/20 NL)?

hotspur wrote:
    If maths isn't that important for higher stakes poker and one's emotional makeup is, considering that you rate maths your strongest point and your emotional makeup your weakest why is it that you are convinced you can play high stakes poker?

Very good question. Maths isnt really my biggest strength, there are plenty of players much better than me at maths and Im a much better player than they are. Im not that convinced I can play high stakes poker, i guess Ill find out. I have sustained very good winrates at every level up to 36 over statistically significent periods of time, so I would think its very unlikely I cant beat 5 10 anyway. I think I may of overstated my emotional problems, its not normally something I have much trouble with and is usually connected to problems outside poker. Over the last week it has crept back into my game which is why im mentioning it. Ive gone months without any tilt or making any substantial mistake whilst playing.
    hotspur wrote:
    Do you think many high stakes cash poker players would rank patience ahead of aggression as a skill necessary for successful poker?

Well I may of made a mistake, its very important to be agressive, but thats easy IMO. I know a load of players who are far too agressive and whos main failing is they lack patience and discipline. Very few players manage to both me aggressive and disicplined. Also the skills needed are different at different levels. I played a tonne of hands at 50 1 recently and I did very well by just playing a very passive game. A lot of times these questions are bad questions IMO, i mean its like saying whether passing or running is more important for a football player. You wont make it unless you can do both!

• Advertisement

dvdfan wrote:
    Dont know youre background so hope you dont think im being intrusive but why did you go to Poland...friends,job or was it the cheap living and how did you find it, did you speak any polish.

Always found Polish people pretty friendly and it would be nice to take a trip there for a few months if you were making a few hundred a week on poker when you compare the price of food,drink and accommodation you could have a whale of a time there for the same money and live pretty well?

I want to travel the world as much as possible, I have a friend living there so it made sense. The cheap living was a big bonus. I learnt quite a bit of polish which was food fun.

Yeah it was great food and drink there had an effective cost of 0 to me there. Its not like that in Dublin!

sikes wrote:
    so you are dying to go to the mens room when you are 6 handed in a tourney. Everyone is getting paid.

When do you go if its:

A no1
    B no2

This is semi serious btw

And good stuff so far

Either way I would just go to the bathroom. Just look at your cards on the button and then go if they arent worth playing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Creative usualy means bad in my experience, both live and online.

lol very good answer.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,213 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Are you getting a Nintendo Wii?

I see you went to Pakistan... Any use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Do you agree with Chris Ferguson's reply here?
    QUESTION FROM Tria003: would you recommend playing poker as a career? if yes why? is no why?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: No, if you're great at poker you can make a lot more money doing something else.

RasTa wrote:
    Are you getting a Nintendo Wii?

I see you went to Pakistan... Any use?

Yeah ive played agood bit of the tennis and I love it.

Yeah it was great, theres a report on my blog

Do you agree with Chris Ferguson's reply here?

No, allthough it may well be applicable in 99% of cases

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

Hector, all I can say is fair play to you there is some great reading here. I want to buy you pints sometime and talk drunken jibberish about the meaning of life etc - I reckon you could converse on many topics and would have many interesting stories to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Have you discovered throughout your time playing NL holdem that being too aggressive preflop or otherwise can be a weakness and why? Do you belive that controlled aggression is a part of the key to being a winning player and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

hi, great reading so far. one of the few hands ive seen you play was you GJP exit hand. would this paly standard iyo? would you always call in this spot with 77 on the bubble. did you think you were ahead? did you care? if faced with that situation 10 times will you call every time? what if the BB was fuzzbox?
    also didnt you win more that $7K in the boards 200 game tournament?

hi, great reading so far. one of the few hands ive seen you play was you GJP exit hand. would this paly standard iyo? would you always call in this spot with 77 on the bubble. did you think you were ahead? did you care? if faced with that situation 10 times will you call every time? what if the BB was fuzzbox?
    also didnt you win more that $7K in the boards 200 game tournament?

im not sure Im going to answer this post. Did I care if was I ahead? No I was hoping he had aces so I could get knocked out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

when you sit at a table do you always feel you are the best player there?

do you think you are a better cash or tournament player and why?

whats the biggest buy in tournament you've ever played and how did you do?

when playing cash online how many tables do you play at once?

tilting/boredom aside do you think your game has any leaks?

if you won the euromillions next week would you still play poker?

mdwexford wrote:
    when you sit at a table do you always feel you are the best player there?

Yes. This is probably quite common though!
    mdwexford wrote:
    do you think you are a better cash or tournament player and why?

Its just poker!
    mdwexford wrote:
    whats the biggest buy in tournament you've ever played and how did you do?

1k gjp event, I bubbled!
    mdwexford wrote:
    when playing cash online how many tables do you play at once?

2-4, usually 3
    mdwexford wrote:
    tilting/boredom aside do you think your game has any leaks?

Yeah, everyones does
    mdwexford wrote:
    if you won the euromillions next week would you still play poker?

Nope!

TacT wrote:
    Have you discovered throughout your time playing NL holdem that being too aggressive preflop or otherwise can be a weakness and why? Do you belive that controlled aggression is a part of the key to being a winning player and why?

Yeah often times people are far too aggressive for no reason whatsover. A lot of players raise when they should call post flop, this is something ive noticed playing live recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

If you are still down there I've another question.

If you were playing a game vs 5 clones of yourself, how would you play different. ie. tell us how to beat you. Bet you wish you weren't in the well now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

One of my biggest pet peves at a poker table both live and online is people who min raise (Especially when I'm on the BB). What do you do to combat this?

Do you approach live and online cash games differently in terms of strategy? Or do you just go play your usual game on both?

Peanut/biscuit or chocolate M&M's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

1/2 and 2/4 nl

Do you know what techno is? its just very basic dance music with cool sounds and a very sparse arrangements. Recently its gotten a bit boring.

yes; but I'm a house merchant techno is kids music; top dancer in henrys 91 to 98

respect; heslin and p park only 2 players i've ever felt my best bet was to stay out of there way

If you are still down there I've another question.

If you were playing a game vs 5 clones of yourself, how would you play different. ie. tell us how to beat you. Bet you wish you weren't in the well now! :)

Theres no answer to this. Poker is mainly about adapting your game to beat other peoples, whatever you do I will adapt to beat you, so you need to be as skilled as I am. If you play very tight and very aggressive and occasionaly mix your game up its very hard for any player to ever exploit you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

Regarding my previous question, what sort of business would you see yourself setting up after poker?

Why Pakistan? Do you think you could live there?

Were you in any areas that were directly affected by the earthquake? If so what were they like, did they seem to have recovered somewhat or are they still screwed?

Would you recommend visiting there if you didn't already know people living there?

Could you pm me your buddy list on tribeca please? Any notes you have on these players would be extremely handy too!

One of my biggest pet peves at a poker table both live and online is people who min raise (Especially when I'm on the BB). What do you do to combat this?

Do you approach live and online cash games differently in terms of strategy? Or do you just go play your usual game on both?

Peanut/biscuit or chocolate M&M's?

I wouldnt normally call the min raise and then play the hand as well as possible afterwards. I call because its profitable to do so, so almost always they would be better off raising normally.

Not really

Chocolate allthough I dont eat M+M's very much!

Daithio wrote:
    Regarding my previous question, what sort of business would you see yourself setting up after poker?

Im not sure, maybe a restaurant or some type of art/music gallery.
    Daithio wrote:
    Why Pakistan? Do you think you could live there?

I had friends that live there. I think I could live there for half a year or so. Some things were hard to take, like the food and driving.

Daithio wrote:
    Were you in any areas that were directly affected by the earthquake? If so what were they like, did they seem to have recovered somewhat or are they still screwed?

I spent most of my time in Islamabad, which is a very new city (mainly built duing the 70's) and there was very little damage done there (AFAIK) and we only saw one building that had been destroyed. I met a guy who works with concern there and he said there is still alot of people without homes in rural areas, but I didnt see any of this.

Daithio wrote:
    Would you recommend visiting there if you didn't already know people living there?

Its is an extremely strange and weird place, I think I would find it very hard to go there without knowing some locals. We stayed with some very wealthy people (in pakistan terms) and they had servants and drivers and so on that made our time there very relaxing. It is a very friendly place and I never encountered anything remotely threatening though. So im not sure really!

Daithio wrote:
    Could you pm me your buddy list on tribeca please? Any notes you have on these players would be extremely handy too!

Sure, its full of 1/2 and 2/4 fish at the moment though. Ill send it in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

1/2 and 2/4 nl

why are you playing 1/2 2/4 and whats the highest you have played for a prolonged period previously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

Sure, its full of 1/2 and 2/4 fish at the moment though. Ill send it in the morning.

Cheers, that's perfect. I kind of lost focus for a bit there regarding poker, so I'm giving myself a challenge of building up $247 that I forgot I had in PPP into a nice BR, in an attempt to refocus without losing too much cash in the process! I got it to $700 last night so I think this is enough for a shot at 1/2. If I lose my initial buy in I'll go back to the stts, but it'd be nice to know I've got a table full of fish when I'm taking my shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭fuzzbox

Have you ever minraised :-)?

If yes ... have you ever CHECK/minraised?

What did you have when you check/minraised :-).

What street did you minraise on?
    Why did you minraise?

I bet you love minraising.

Advertisement