Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

How did this go?

I called magnet technical support.
    it seems that the second phone port cannot be made active

Looks like I will need to find a short phone extension cable to work around the problem.

problem solved

I got this in Maplin on Jervis street
    pu97f_new.jpg
    RJ11 Double Adaptor
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=22427

This splitter was was not as broad a the one I had so it can fit in the phone socket beside the phone line.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Belfast wrote: »
    I called magnet technical support.
    it seems that the second phone port cannot be made active

Looks like I will need to find a short phone extension cable to work around the problem.

problem solved

I got this in Maplin on Jervis street

RJ11 Double Adaptor
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=22427

This splitter was was not as broad a the one I had so it can fit in the phone socket beside the phone line.

Good stuff, give me a shout if there are anymore issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 oldseason

I signed up 2 months ago and to be honest, I have never come across a more incompetent bunch of people in my entire life.
    First of all, I say I signed up two months ago but service was only activated 2 days ago.
    There was problems with the installation after they sent me a router and I requested an engineer come out and resolve it, after ringing countless times and waiting on hold for hours I eventually got through to someone who was of no help whatsoever.
    There are four phone lines in my apartment, I needed the engineer to come out and test which one Eircom had activated and Magnet had taken over, sound straight forward enough right? Wrong, it took 7 or 8 more phonecalls, each time waiting on hold for up to 20 minutes to get someone to set up a job for an engineer to come out.

I was assured by a Magnet rep that the engineer would be out on Monday at 2:30 so I took time off work to be there. At 3:00 there was no sign of him so I called Magnet and got through to a guy who schedules the jobs and he said that nothing was ever confirmed for this date.
    I was furious and after kicking off at him for 10 minutes he eventually said he would see what he could do.
    He got the engineer to come out at 5:00, the engineer wired everything up and went off on his merry way.
    First thing I did was a speed test, I'm paying for 8meg so I expected to get 8 meg. Having dealt with this company every day for a month it didn't surprise me to find it was'nt 8meg. I was getting 4 at the most.
    Then when I thought things couldnt get any worse, the connection started disappearing every half hour!!
    It's worth noting that all the Eircom networks were still visible but for whatever reason, my magnet wireless network disconnected and became unavailable every twenty minutes and eventually it stopped working altogether for about 3 hours.

I called them again this morning and informed them of this and again got through to someone who had no explanation for why it was happening, the guy was useless.
    I brought up my grievance in relation to the speed (paying for 8meg only getting 4) and he offered me a five euro discount!!!!!!!I was livid..
    He said that as I was two kilometers away from where the signal was sent, that I would only ever be capable of getting 4meg, regardless of who the provider was.This, I know for a fact to a be a lie.
    But to offer a five euro discount for receiving half the service you originally signed up for shows a complete lack of respect to the customer and was more insulting than them offering nothing at all.

I cant stress how awful my experience with this company has been and continues to be.
    I can just tell that I will go home today and have more problems that will have to remain unresolved because there opening hours are monday to friday 9- 6 and after those hours there is nobody to help you.The only time I can speak to someone is on my lunch break form work and some of the advice I have been given by their agents has been nothing short of comical.
    Absolutely ridiculous.
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

oldseason wrote: »
    I brought up my grievance in relation to the speed (paying for 8meg only getting 4) and he offered me a five euro discount!!!!!!!I was livid..
    He said that as I was two kilometers away from where the signal was sent, that I would only ever be capable of getting 4meg, regardless of who the provider was.This, I know for a fact to a be a lie.

How do you know this is a lie, remember DSL is very dependent on distance from the exchange and quality of the line. If you are far from the exchange or the line is bad quality then you will get a lower speed from any DSL ISP.

Why not post up your line stats as reported by your modem/router and we can tell you roughly what speeds your line is capable of.

Also Magnet have a forum here on boards with a very helpful Magnet employee responding on it http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1207

• Registered Users Posts: 11 oldseason

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The agent I spoke with indicated that there was no possible way for me to obtain a higher speed than 4meg.
    I first mentioned Eircom and he said that they could not provide a better service, fair enough it's the same line.
    I then mentioned NTL and he said said that 4 meg would be there maximum aswell...

Just as I suspected, I'm still having problems. Got home from work and my wireless connection is working in short bursts, it works for about 20minutes, disconnects and then the network disappears for a minute or two and reconnects after about 5minutes.

So frustrating, it rules out online gaming etc...

I'll bring it up in the other thread, cheers for the link...

• Advertisement

Can you PM me and I can look at your case, don’t forget to pass on the account name and mobile number.

Also on the other issues raised;

1. We are one of the only companies who offers discounts for not reaching the original speed.
    2. NTL is a different network and as such we would have no idea what they can offer in terms of bandwidth.
    3. Don’t give up on gaming just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dangerousdavid

Rory - Any update on my phone line issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Why was I told that my line was capable for the gaming bolt
    package then after been set up and to be told that my line is only capable
    for 8m max . Yet I'm only getting 6m max from this highly tuned gaming package.
    The line checker is a complete farce.
    I reakon magnet rory is a couple of people that work in magnet using 1account
    because I've sent my details numerious times and and still get asked to pm my details.

Where's my discount.
    Where's my 12m I was told I'd get when I signed up
    where's my highly tuned line and my my 800k upload
    maybe I have the wrong router along with the wrong account details I got

line checker should be removed from the bolt site
    it's false advertising in my eyes
    I really feel scammed just like ice broadband except they actually answered the phone calls.

Why oh why didnt I listen to the warnings .

Btw if you know how well the copper is going to each house why don't you say listen before you go and order magnet check your copper.
    Sick of the excuses like speed tests done on I phones will not be accurate FFs
    the technology in a I phone is leaps and bounds of a telsy Reuter
    it should come closer than have the speed I should be getting

Yes I'm a magnet idiot I got sucked in

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Now it's completly gone.
    No Internet what so ever
    seriously what is wrong with magnet .
    How do I get away from magnet not even signed up
    a month and already problems

Now it's completly gone.
    No Internet what so ever
    seriously what is wrong with magnet .
    How do I get away from magnet not even signed up
    a month and already problems

I trust everything has been resolved on this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I trust everything has been resolved on this issue.

Hi Magnet (Rory) I would apreciate your help with something.
    We got Magnet for the first time last Saturday, I was able to successfully set it up on my laptop with the maagnet0+6 digit code
    I have since tried to connect my house-mates laptops using the same details and on each of their 5 other laptops it has not worked, they can only connect with limited connectivity and no internet.
    It is like the router has been set up to only accept one user/mac address or something.

Each laptop can connect to the router via an ethernet cable successfully however.

My housemate has phoned magnet support today and yesterday and both days was promised a call-back from tech-support but both times none was received.

Is there anything you can do to fix this please?
    We are very unhappy at the moment as we are paying a lot for the service and dont wish to sit in a dark cold hallway to use it,
    thanks.

Hi Magnet (Rory) I would apreciate your help with something.
    We got Magnet for the first time last Saturday, I was able to successfully set it up on my laptop with the maagnet0+6 digit code
    I have since tried to connect my house-mates laptops using the same details and on each of their 5 other laptops it has not worked, they can only connect with limited connectivity and no internet.
    It is like the router has been set up to only accept one user/mac address or something.

Each laptop can connect to the router via an ethernet cable successfully however.

My housemate has phoned magnet support today and yesterday and both days was promised a call-back from tech-support but both times none was received.

Is there anything you can do to fix this please?
    We are very unhappy at the moment as we are paying a lot for the service and dont wish to sit in a dark cold hallway to use it,
    thanks.

Can you PM me your details?

I have sent a Pm I am still waiting for a reply, as well as a callback from the "technical team"

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

hi Magnet (Rory) ,can you tell me if the new 50mb fiber BB will be avaliable in Malahide soon ,many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭wandererz

So, i've been thinking of getting the 50meg fibre service but what i've been reading here gives me goosebumps of nightmare service from yet another service provider.

Are there any caps on this service?

What's the typical delivery time from the time i place the order?

Does magnet offer a "cooling off period" ... i.e. if my service isn't delivered and or is not operable by the date initially stated i should have the right to cancel.

I just don't want to be stuck going around in circles with people who just will not listen, if you get my drift.

From my experience they were very quick to get the package to you,
    and there are no caps in the service,

but if anything goes wrong they are ultimately uncontactable,

I had a problem with my router, so I contacted magnet (rory) on here, me and my housemates kept phoning customer support and getting fobbed off that tech support would call us, I emailed them directly also and basically they were more than impossible to deal with.

I ended up having to buy a router to do the job the one they supply is meant to do (they fix it so you cant access any of the settings)

but for the speed of the broadband they are worth the price if you can put up with that nonsense from them

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Also another very unsatisfied customer here.

Their customer service is utterly useless.

Was holding for 15 mins today to talk to someone in technical support, only to be cut off by Magnet bang on 6 o'clock.

When I rang back all I got was a message saying we are now closed.

Making a serious complaint in the morning, I mean how is anyone who works 9-530 supposed to be beside the modem and contact Magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

I'm currently a happy BT customer, dreading being switched to Vodafone. Anybody have the experience of going from good BT speeds like those posted below to Magnet's?
    Thanks!

719991574.png

I'm currently a happy BT customer, dreading being switched to Vodafone. Anybody have the experience of going from good BT speeds like those posted below to Magnet's?
    Thanks!

719991574.png

All depends on what exchange you are hanging off. Your service looks like you are close to the exchange with a good line also.

Good line on Dolphin's Barn Exchange. Its been rock steady for a couple of years now.

• Advertisement

Good line on Dolphin's Barn Exchange. Its been rock steady for a couple of years now.

We are available in that area. Up to 24Mb is available on 1:1 sharing ratio.

current speed down 20.1 up 88.0
    line rate 22526Kbs 1019 Kbs
    noise margin up 4.9 down 11.5
    attenuation down 22.5 down 9.8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

722600485.png

:) Gotta love that Fiber

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Damn Cros ftth ?

You are one of the lucky 10 people in Ireland who can avail of it ? ;) Posting that is kinda fail though considering the reach of that package against the population...Clutching at straws i is, who wouldn't want that lolol...

If/When Digiweb muck up Smart guess i will be going to Magnets 24mb package...Am still holding out for Digiweb kinda seeing the infrastructure Smart has and try and utilize it and makes monies from it rather than forcing us out thinking even average net users can be hoodwinked into 40/50/60 gb packages and be happy for it.Up the Smart cap to whatever the competition has and you will reel in customers.Even Magnet with a similar type exchange set up pales in comparison to the performance of Smart excluding ftth of course.Nobody comes close to smart for performance and this is where Digiweb should be looking to make money imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SOSTECH

Hi,

I have a 50mb connection with Magnet and i am using the Ruckas Wirless router.

I have been trying to strem media to my XBOX (Sometimes it works fine and other times it wont work at all)

I think the reason for this is my x-box is sometimes receieving a different IP range to my laptop .... Hence they are not on the same network and they cant recognise each other?

Is there anyway to sort this out?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,075 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

SOSTECH wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a 50mb connection with Magnet and i am using the Ruckas Wirless router.

I have been trying to strem media to my XBOX (Sometimes it works fine and other times it wont work at all)

I think the reason for this is my x-box is sometimes receieving a different IP range to my laptop .... Hence they are not on the same network and they cant recognise each other?

Is there anyway to sort this out?

I'm not familiar with the Ruckus, but I'm assuming that both devices get public IP's as is Magnets habit. In which case you'll need to put a router between them and the Ruckus.

So basically run the Ruckas router off a separate magnet router and pay them for that also???

Can i use a Zyxel router for this or will i have to by one of Magnets plug and play devices?

d22ontour wrote: »
    Damn Cros ftth ?

You are one of the lucky 10 people in Ireland who can avail of it ? ;) Posting that is kinda fail though considering the reach of that package against the population...Clutching at straws i is, who wouldn't want that lolol...

If/When Digiweb muck up Smart guess i will be going to Magnets 24mb package...Am still holding out for Digiweb kinda seeing the infrastructure Smart has and try and utilize it and makes monies from it rather than forcing us out thinking even average net users can be hoodwinked into 40/50/60 gb packages and be happy for it.Up the Smart cap to whatever the competition has and you will reel in customers.Even Magnet with a similar type exchange set up pales in comparison to the performance of Smart excluding ftth of course.Nobody comes close to smart for performance and this is where Digiweb should be looking to make money imo.

Both Magnet and Smart have ADSL2+ equipment at exchange level. I am unsure of what advantage smart have that would give them an improved performance? Unless you are referring to a LLU vs. Bitstream situation?

SOSTECH wrote: »
    So basically run the Ruckas router off a separate magnet router and pay them for that also???

Can i use a Zyxel router for this or will i have to by one of Magnets plug and play devices?

Did this work out ok in the end. Do you need anymore help?

• Advertisement

Called magnet Tech support this morning still awaiting a reply from second levels tech.

Advertisement