Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

Will do that. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 DEMON 90

i think RORSER WORKS FOR MAGNET:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nicamuke

Magnet just launched a TV channel on their website....http://magnetentertainment.ie/mitv.ie/ am on digiweb wireless and quality is perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Anyone has a list of the Magnet LLU exchanges?

I'm on the Finglas exchange - neither Smart nor BT have it on their LLU list. It's on eircom's 12MB business list. UPC not in my area either.

But Magnum claims I can get Force Max 24MB..
    Even the 10MB would be huge step forward.

Any views on reliability, support etc (just for broadband).
    can you get your modem settings by now...? cause i would want to use my own router.

/WD

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Just have a quick question about Magnet.

I am in the process of changing between Eircom and Magnet. I got my router today and waited until my Eircom service was suspended. By 6pm my connection and phone was dead from Eircom so I connected up the Magebt router but they don't seem to have it set up on their end as I keep getting ''aquiring IP address'' message when I try to go online and I have no dial tones from my phones.

I'm going to ring Magent in the morning but from people who have done a change over, about how long did it take to get set back up again? I was told about 5hrs of down time when I ordered it, so I assume those are 5 normal working hours.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

the switchover is very quick but make sure to ring customer support, they'll help you through.

Have you called yet?

It was sorted this morning, did have to ring them. I was getting worred last night as it said the due date for the change over was 24th of Dec, couldn't go that long without bb.

I'm only now seeing how bad my line is, when I was on 3meg with Eircom I was getting 2.5meg/312kb 38ms ping when I was on their 3meg package. Now on the 10meg Magnet pack I'm getting 3.2meg/1meg 88ms ping. Pity there is not a way to see how much your line can take before you sign up to high speed packages.

Well at least it will be a stable 3.2, im in the same situation as you. The line stays steady but the real kick is the distance from the exchange, its not really the damage on the line (although this can play a part).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Kel Varnsen

On a related note: I just got Magnet today, I also signed up for the 10meg service and am downloading at about 600KB/s. Shouldn't that be higher, or is it just the state of my line?

Also, I have a Sky box plugged in upstairs(in a different socket to the Magent box) that the guy I talked to on the phone said might work without getting an engineer out, but isn't. Do I need an engineer here, or is there some way to get different sockets to work with Magnet?

On a related note: I just got Magnet today, I also signed up for the 10meg service and am downloading at about 600KB/s. Shouldn't that be higher, or is it just the state of my line?

Also, I have a Sky box plugged in upstairs(in a different socket to the Magent box) that the guy I talked to on the phone said might work without getting an engineer out, but isn't. Do I need an engineer here, or is there some way to get different sockets to work with Magnet?

600kb sounds very low. Have you called customer support about this yet?

They are still recieving calls.

• Advertisement

Yep, they said that was probably all my line could handle. Why they offered me 24megs in that case, though, I'll never know.

Nobody knows what your line can handle till the line is taken over, its a shame I know but there is a discount if your line cant reach a certain point. Aswell as that; if ADSL2+ cant get anymore out of it nothing else will for the time being.

also remember 600KB is very different to 600kb.

Right now it's barely going over the 3 meg mark on speedtest...earlier today it almost made it to 5.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

JNive wrote: »
    if you are one of the entertainment packages but without the TV, you will get the wireless telsey modem. THis is only a 4-port modem switch and not a router, so there is no forwarding required. Im not sure what equipment people get if they get the TV service also, or if they are on the teh Magnet basic 2mb service

Bull.

If it's not a router then how do you suppose it's sharing out the connection four times?

Right now it's barely going over the 3 meg mark on speedtest...earlier today it almost made it to 5.:(

remember speedtest is not always acurate....to be certain call up the support line on monday to find out if there are any difficulties on the line.

Rorser wrote: »
    600kb sounds very low.

I can only download at 300kbps, same as my old Eircom connection. I find it odd that people in Clare Hall can get the full 10meg and I'm very close to there and cannot get over 3.2meg. I does not look like a distance issuse just that the copper in the ground is in a very bad way.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

What speed is your line syncing at?

Is Magnet slow for anyone else tonight.

I'm usually getting 4.8meg/1meg

Tonight its 136kbs/280kps. Yes my upload is faster than my download speed.

Also my home can make calls out but it won't receive any.

Add to that Magnet tech support line seems dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Is Magnet slow for anyone else tonight.

I'm usually getting 4.8meg/1meg

Tonight its 136kbs/280kps. Yes my upload is faster than my download speed.

Also my home can make calls out but it won't receive any.

Add to that Magnet tech support line seems dead.

mine was the same earlier on but back to normal now

im in lucan area

Mine is back now aswell, must have been a glitch in the server or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Achilles wrote: »
    Bull.

If it's not a router then how do you suppose it's sharing out the connection four times?

you get 4 separate IP's, more if you've got the wireless on the go as well. Even stranger, I can share files over laptops connected to the same router, even though they're not on the same LAN on my end

you get 4 separate IP's, more if you've got the wireless on the go as well. Even stranger, I can share files over laptops connected to the same router, even though they're not on the same LAN on my end

That's a router then. You'd be getting seperate local IPs, not seperate public IPs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Operator9

Magnet ....simply the .....WORST!

Operator9 wrote: »
    Magnet ....simply the .....WORST!

Is there anything in particular you are having a problem with?

Perhaps i can help?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭djr

Achilles wrote: »
    That's a router then. You'd be getting seperate local IPs, not seperate public IPs.

it could well be a device that has a dsl modem on one interface, and runs a dhcp server of it's ethernet interface. it can be a router, and not perform NAT you know. it's both a modem and a router, it modulates/demodulates and routes packets.

dsl syncs, router is assigned 4+ public ip addresses by magnet's dhcp server (they must have IP's up the wahoo to be able to give out 4+ to each customer...), it takes the first one (of the subnet), and then passes out the other 3 or 4 public ip addresses on the ethernet interface to connected devices.

so you can connect your own router yourself to the modem, set it to grab it's address from dhcp, and let it do nat for you. out of the box, it doesn't sound like the device they ship out with the 4 ports does nat at all, or at least it isn't configured that way...

djr wrote: »
    it could well be a device that has a dsl modem on one interface, and runs a dhcp server of it's ethernet interface. it can be a router, and not perform NAT you know. it's both a modem and a router, it modulates/demodulates and routes packets.

dsl syncs, router is assigned 4+ public ip addresses by magnet's dhcp server (they must have IP's up the wahoo to be able to give out 4+ to each customer...), it takes the first one (of the subnet), and then passes out the other 3 or 4 public ip addresses on the ethernet interface to connected devices.

so you can connect your own router yourself to the modem, set it to grab it's address from dhcp, and let it do nat for you. out of the box, it doesn't sound like the device they ship out with the 4 ports does nat at all, or at least it isn't configured that way...

Yes it could be, but it's not. It's just a standard adsl wireless modem/router (Telsey is their manufacturer just like Netopia is Eircom's manufacturer, they're just devices rebranded with a custom firmware installed). After some further investigation it turns out to be a model similiar to this one;

http://submax.altervista.org/alicewgate/device.jpg

The op just doesn't really understand what a wireless adsl modem is or how it works but it's not his fault we're the nerds not him. Let's not get into a pointless debate ok?

Does anyone want me to escalate this within Magnet? If you want any help on this just send me a PM and i will get on to the tech support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 drealmrt

Hi has anyone managed to get port forwarding working on the Telsey router with Magnet???
    I've tried accessing the router configuration with no joy.
    I've heard plugging in an additional wireless router to the Telsey modem and configuring the port forwarding on that router may work. Has anyone been able to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 trveller72

i am using magnet entertainment gold (that is fibre to home) for almost 3 years and so far:

Broadband: good speed, good quality, poor support

TV: nothing special here, except maybe that the stb is quite slow

Phone: poor - sometimes doesn't work, can't use the "for sales press 1, for customer support press 2, etc".

i will recommend the broadband.

Another thing: for the phone you get an ATA device. if you could access the settings, you could use it to make really cheap calls, but again, getting access to the settings will be not be an easy task.

• Advertisement

trveller72 wrote: »
    i am using magnet entertainment gold (that is fibre to home) for almost 3 years and so far:

Broadband: good speed, good quality, poor support

TV: nothing special here, except maybe that the stb is quite slow

Phone: poor - sometimes doesn't work, can't use the "for sales press 1, for customer support press 2, etc".

i will recommend the broadband.

Another thing: for the phone you get an ATA device. if you could access the settings, you could use it to make really cheap calls, but again, getting access to the settings will be not be an easy task.

There is a solution for your phone problem. If you send me a PM we can activate it on your account.

Can I help you with the other issues (support, TV, etc.)

Advertisement