Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 trveller72

There is a solution for your phone problem. If you send me a PM we can activate it on your account.
    It shouldn't be activated by default?
    i hope i was clear enough: i can use the phone now, but when i'm calling, let's say, to the bank, i can't get through, because the menu is not working. i can't choose any options.
    why the web interface has to be deactivated for the ATA device?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ddaithi

Hi Rory,

I live in the Killiney (I'm probably on the shankhill exchange) can i get broadband from Magnet? If so could you give me a breakdown of prices/speeds and what installation work needs to be done if any?

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Hi Rory,

Can I ask Do you provide Broadband out in Roundwood ?
    I need dsl. Do you install the phone line (your website says "Free landline connection") ?

What is the cheapest I can get Magnet for, All I want is dsl, not TV or calls. So could you give me a breakdown of what I need and cost? (I have tried to use your website but its a little ambiguous).

Many thanks

k

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Roundwood and Killiney are both areas where we offer the up to 7.6Mb service (swift). There is no ADSL2+ equipment in either.

The price is €40

-Up to 7.6Mb Down (exchange dependant)
    -Up to 672Kb up (exchange dependant)
    -Unlimited down and up (fair usage)
    -Doesn't include line rental
    -12:1 contention (exchange dependant)
    -There is no install charge, so as long as the eircom line is in situ we just send you out the router.

Have you anymore questions? (free line rental refers to fiber areas)

Thanks Rory. I'm currently with Eircom, on their 7mb package but I rarely get speeds over 4mb, would Magnet be different?

• Advertisement

ddaithi wrote: »
    Thanks Rory. I'm currently with Eircom, on their 7mb package but I rarely get speeds over 4mb, would Magnet be different?

In that area we would be reselling the eircom product (most of our customers would be on the Magnet network). In your case its unlikely that we would offer a faster download speed but we would offer an unlimited service.

Is 7mb the lowest speed that you have? If you're just reselling Eircom's products does that mean that if there is a problem then you need to get Eircom to fix it?

ddaithi wrote: »
    Is 7mb the lowest speed that you have? If you're just reselling Eircom's products does that mean that if there is a problem then you need to get Eircom to fix it?

We resolve internet connectivity issues with bitstream customers in the majority of cases .If it is a physical issue with the line the customer may need to contact eircom. With Magnet the key difference is that we have a large amount of expertise in the area of networking (which may not be the case with wholesale line rental suppliers) because we own our own network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Roundwood and Killiney are both areas where we offer the up to 7.6Mb service (swift). There is no ADSL2+ equipment in either.

The price is €40

-Up to 7.6Mb Down (exchange dependant)
    -Up to 672Kb up (exchange dependant)
    -Unlimited down and up (fair usage)
    -Doesn't include line rental
    -12:1 contention (exchange dependant)
    -There is no install charge, so as long as the eircom line is in situ we just send you out the router.

Have you anymore questions? (free line rental refers to fiber areas)

so what does "Free landline connection" (which is on almost all your products on your website) mean ?

KStaford wrote: »
    so what does "Free landline connection" (which is on almost all your products on your website) mean ?

Our fibre services are offered with free landline connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Hold on now here Rory...

You mean Free VoIP Connection with a free ATA.... not a "landline" mate...

cros13 wrote: »
    Hold on now here Rory...

You mean Free VoIP Connection with a free ATA.... not a "landline" mate...

We give a phone number and we offer phone packages and the service is delivered through a wire. For all intents and purposes its acts like a landline, it just so happens its provided through different technology to what is ordinarily considered a "landline".

(You guys are keeping me on my toes)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

We give a phone number and we offer phone packages and the service is delivered through a wire. For all intents and purposes its acts like a landline, it just so happens its provided through different technology to what is ordinarily considered a "landline".

Which in fairness to Magnet, is exactly what BT in the UK are moving to (an all IP next generation network) and what Eircom will probably eventually do too.

Nothing wrong with VoIP at all, as long as the correct Quality of Service and backend peering links are put in place.

bk wrote: »
    Which in fairness to Magnet, is exactly what BT in the UK are moving to (an all IP next generation network) and what Eircom will probably eventually do too.

Nothing wrong with VoIP at all, as long as the correct Quality of Service and backend peering links are put in place.

I dont know of any cast iron definition of exactly what a "landline" is. I dont know if its excludes VOIP or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭crol

Nothing wrong with VoIP ... other than it eating 64Kbps(assuming a G711 codec) of your upstream and downstream bandwidth per simultaneous call when in use.

crol wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with VoIP ... other than it eating 64Kbps(assuming a G711 codec) of your upstream and downstream bandwidth per simultaneous call when in use.

This is very small in comparison to the size of upstream channel we offer (512Kb is the norm on LLU, 2Mb is the minimum in FTTH developments).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I dont know of any cast iron definition of exactly what a "landline" is. I dont know if its excludes VOIP or not.

Agreed

I suppose most people are thinking of a Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS) running on Cat3 into a Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) or in other words an Eircom phone line.

But that is pretty old thinking, a high quality phone service can be run using VoIP over the same cat3 line and the end user wouldn't even realise that it was VoIP rather then POTS/PSTN.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I'd actually use the phone service if 'twas provided using G722.2 instead of G711. Wideband codec, same bandwidth usage, adaptive to network congestion. Even if you're not using a widband handset and the wideband connection wasen't end to end it would improve voice quality beyond what most people expect of a phone service.

Give a a holler at Darren O'Donahoe for me, Rory. Tell him Noel out of Ericsson sent ya :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

I just got magnet internet servce.
    but my normal land line phone does not work now.
    no dial tone
    How do to I make a phone call now that I have the magnet service?

Belfast wrote: »
    I just got magnet internet servce.
    but my normal land line phone does not work now.
    no dial tone
    How do to I make a phone call now that I have the magnet service?

Phone line has to be plugged into the back of the telsey wireless box. Has this been done?

• Advertisement

Phone line has to be plugged into the back of the telsey wireless box. Has this been done?

I have not got the telsey wireless box yet.

edit
    I spoke to magnet on the phone
    courier had trouble finding the house
    It should be delivered on friday

my house always seems to confused couriers

edit

Good to hear, you should be up and running in no time.

edit

I picked up the modem for the courier depot today.
    I can get dial tone,
    but can not make out going calls or get incoming calls

591756171.png

I picked up the modem for the courier depot today.
    I can get dial tone,
    but can not make out going calls or get incoming calls

Send me your account number/name and ill look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dangerousdavid

Rory - I finally got me modem in yesterday. Connection speed seems good enough but the ping is still pretty bad - you told me the pings would be good. Getting around 70ms ping

Rory - I finally got me modem in yesterday. Connection speed seems good enough but the ping is still pretty bad - you told me the pings would be good. Getting around 70ms ping

Are you connecting directly or are you wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Hi Rory,
    I asked you about making a callback to Sky using my magnet package a few weeks back and you escalated it for me.
    I havent heard anything back.
    Has there been any update on it.
    Thanks
    Brian.

This is very small in comparison to the size of upstream channel we offer (512Kb is the norm on LLU, 2Mb is the minimum in FTTH developments).
    Wireless, as I would be with my Wii which is what I want the low ping for

Wireless, as I would be with my Wii which is what I want the low ping for

Wireless connections would usually result in higher pings, I would recommend connecting directly into the telsey to ensure a lower ping time.

• Advertisement

Wireless connections would usually result in higher pings, I would recommend connecting directly into the telsey to ensure a lower ping time.
    I understand that, but it is worse than the ping I had with bt when you told me yours were better.

Advertisement