Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Oxmz

keithb93 wrote:
    I'm having the same problem, the b keeps on flashing and the @ hasn't lit up yet. It's been two days since the engineer came and still no Internet.

Same problem here, ordered Magnet BB 2 weeks ago, had a technician from Eircom working on the line ( but not inside the flat ) on the 9th this month, and still nothing, only this flashing b light.

Tried to call Magnet 3 times to have more informations, and was just told that my request was escalated to another department, but I do not have information, any delay for the line to be correctly setup, nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mad_fluffy

Hello im thinking about changing my broadband supplier Eircom to Magnet, does anyone have any advice on this. as im very unsure about moving. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

mad_fluffy wrote: »
    Hello im thinking about changing my broadband supplier Eircom to Magnet, does anyone have any advice on this. as im very unsure about moving. :confused:

if you're thinking about their fat pipe product, be aware of their throttling policy ...
    check http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86879749#post86879749

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Anyone getting close to the advertised 70mb? I am only about 50 feet from the green cabinet, but getting about 48mb down and 17mb up. Sounds good, but if 70mb is there, I thought I would get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 IV1916

Anybody know how to open ports using Magnet? Can't seem to get it working. I've got Technicolor TG589vn v3. How to get login name and password? Do I have to ring them?

• Advertisement

Down for anyone else? Fatpipe 70 and I reset the modem as per the tech supports instruction. Since then no phone or broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 eagle has landed

i was always on upc broadband and its fantastic but switched to magnet worse thing i did magnet 70mb fatpipe is shocking always loses connection and im in the same room as the router i find it so slow its actually criminal iv had it for 3 months , il be switching back to upc next month i would advise people dont use magnet unless you have no other choice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I just got Magnet last week and they are brilliant. The Eircom guy came out and did the phone line then they posted me the modem and I too thought it should be working but it wasn't. I rang them and they said it could take another week before the broadband was active on the line but it came on in about four days. Once the B stops flashing on the modem it will be working and all good sure.

I have the fatpipe 70 but was having wifi issues, any ideas of alternative modems?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm on the 24mbps ADSL package, since Friday night my line operating 1mbps top according to speedtests.

Rang up yesterday and was told no one can help until Tuesday. Absolutely shocking. Long weekend, and I can touch an online video game or watch anything on netflix,

I'm five weeks waiting on a tier 2 in magnet to come back with some analysis or cause as to why my internet is in bits. Absolutely sick of this tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm on the 24mbps ADSL package, since Friday night my line operating 1mbps top according to speedtests.

Rang up yesterday and was told no one can help until Tuesday. Absolutely shocking. Long weekend, and I can touch an online video game or watch anything on netflix,

I'm five weeks waiting on a tier 2 in magnet to come back with some analysis or cause as to why my internet is in bits. Absolutely sick of this tbh

Your as well off leaving, I had the same thing happen to me and had 3 different engineers try and fix it but to no avail, their tech support is woeful and is actually outsourced to a company in Cork.

Another call this morning and they finally tell me there is a general issue in the area technicians are working on hoping to resolve ASAP.

Atleast I finally got some answers
    Still not happy, long weekend, time for gaming and watching Tv shows online, and I can't do ANYTHING

Another call this morning and they finally tell me there is a general issue in the area technicians are working on hoping to resolve ASAP.

Atleast I finally got some answers
    Still not happy, long weekend, time for gaming and watching Tv shows online, and I can't do ANYTHING

They rent the lines off of Eircom, so it would also be affecting Vodafone and Eircom customers, you should ask some friends how they are finding theirs in the same area, they love to bull**** people.

Xenji wrote: »
    They rent the lines off of Eircom, so it would also be affecting Vodafone and Eircom customers, you should ask some friends how they are finding theirs in the same area, they love to bull**** people.

Don't know anyone really in the area, all my mates live in another town :/

It's just annoying as ****.

I stream all content and TVshows, movies etc. over the web ( I don't have TV services) and am mad for games.

I lvoe when Bank holiday weekends come around as it means I can catch up on everything, I even booked Tuesday off for a 4 day weekend.

Saturday has come and gone with me unable to do anything.
    Sunday looking the same....genuinelly sitting here on 3G on my phone checking the web, and reading a book.

**** this

Don't know anyone really in the area, all my mates live in another town :/

It's just annoying as ****.

I stream all content and TVshows, movies etc. over the web ( I don't have TV services) and am mad for games.

I lvoe when Bank holiday weekends come around as it means I can catch up on everything, I even booked Tuesday off for a 4 day weekend.

Saturday has come and gone with me unable to do anything.
    Sunday looking the same....genuinelly sitting here on 3G on my phone checking the web, and reading a book.

**** this

If you're not using Netflix you know they throttle you down to 1mb between 4pm-1am if you download or stream over 4 gigs in that time.

If you're not using Netflix you know they throttle you down to 1mb between 4pm-1am if you download or stream over 4 gigs in that time.

I don't use netflix, but this problem has been going on since Friday, and has been happening in the mornings aswell as after hours.

I discussed with Magnet a while back in regards to throttling and they assured me it was only on the new fatpipe packages streaming came into affect, that my line was excluded from any caps.

If there was actual throttling on the line, I'd be gonzo. They'd also have to disclose it to me as to why my line was acting piss poor. I'm happy enough to know its a network issue in the area, although not so happy I'm now into the second day of my 4 day break, now ****ing still internet-less

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Spiritine

Magnet are useless, no calls back, took a month to install, and now they say this is acceptable as they only say up to 24mb,

3065972286.png

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Alzone

Is there anyone who was able to set the TG589vn v3 in Bridge mode? The Magnet modem is terrible: low granularity, no Gig Ethernet ports...

When trying to call the support I have been told that it is not supported! But I was given my PPOE logons. When trying to set up the TG589vn in Bridge mode then connect to a proper router I just changed the following settings: PPOE connection (+ logons). It seems that I can't obtain a WAN IP address. The MTU is 1492.
    Primary DNS: 85.91.1.130
    Secondary DNS: 85.91.1.128

The PPOE logins given were: 88XXXX@magnet.ie but when resetting the modem it says magnet@magnetbusiness.ie

Is there something I am missing? I don't want to be locked with the TG589vn modem :(

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 foxaxel

Hi people,

I am thinking to leave Smartelecom (24Mb/1Mb) and go to Magnet (24Mb/?Mb) I have been reading for a while and I still have some unanswered questions. Perhaps some of you can help me :-) I have until the 25th, they will call me back to switch. I hope this can help other people too.

1.- What is the technology used by Magnet? HFC, FTTH, FTTC...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_fibre-coaxial
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_to_the_x

Keys to know about the technology used are:
    - Socket in the modem, is it a RJ11, RJ45, Coaxial, Optical?
    - The cable from the wall is like any other phone cable? Is it like a TV cable? is it like a computer network cable?

I have read about the routers and it seems VDSL, so probably FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet) This is not bad nor good if the ping and speeds are good. I know that UPC uses HFC but I do not know if this is better or worst.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very-high-bit-rate_digital_subscriber_line_2

2.- What does the technician install in the wall? does he has to install new cable from the street? As far as I know VDSL uses the same copper wire, what does he install?

3.- What are the speeds? I know it is 70/20 but I am going for 24. 24/10? 24/5?

4.- What happens with the throttling? Is the 4GB (with capital B?) for every day or for the whole period? (which would be insane)
    As far as I read it seems that you can argue with them and they have to release the restriction. I think I can live the limit by setting the downloads during the off-peak hours but I would like to know. (But I also agree, They are liars and cheats)

5.- What is the cost of the installation? this is perhaps the only thing that could make me stop changing.

If somebody wonder by I am changing: Smart does not has technical service (I think they have just one guy working on that), they left me twice without service and it cost me a lot of money and time to get it back (phone calls), Magnet could be bad in this but not worst. Also, I have reached the 250GB cap once and I need to be careful (I want torrents and Netflix HD and do not worry about the cap, ok, off-peak). The latency is not the best and I think any other technology than ADSL2 would be better (here comes my first question) They said "no congestion ratio" and I cannot play at the afternoons with a ping over 120ms, sometimes over 200ms.

Thank you very much

OK, I have keep reading. Here are some answers I have found:

1.- As already told in this and other threads, Magnet (Vodafone, Digiweb,...) rents the eFiber infrastructure of Eircom. The technology is FTTC, Fibre To The Cabinet, this means, an optic fibre to a green cabinet in the street and VDSL2 from there to the Home.

FTTC based on VDSL is fine if you live not far from 1Km from the cabinet. I have one of the cabinets just across the street.

2.- The technician installs a wall plate with a splitter, a filter and 2 sockets, phone and modem. The cable is the same from home to the cabinet but the technician change the cabinet end from the old "standard digital" cabinet to the one with the fibre.

5.- For me it is 57€ according to the web. Installation + modem delivery as I remember.

• Advertisement

foxaxel wrote: »
    OK, I have keep reading. Here are some answers I have found:

1.- As already told in this and other threads, Magnet (Vodafone, Digiweb,...) rents the eFiber infrastructure of Eircom. The technology is FTTC, Fibre To The Cabinet, this means, an optic fibre to a green cabinet in the street and VDSL2 from there to the Home.

FTTC based on VDSL is fine if you live not far from 1Km from the cabinet. I have one of the cabinets just across the street.

2.- The technician installs a wall plate with a splitter, a filter and 2 sockets, phone and modem. The cable is the same from home to the cabinet but the technician change the cabinet end from the old "standard digital" cabinet to the one with the fibre.

5.- For me it is 57€ according to the web. Installation + modem delivery as I remember.

I would look fully through this thread and other threads on Magnet here before going with them, very few people have good things to say about them.

This one also http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85752204

It is not unlimited either, they throttle you if you go over 4 gigs between 4 pm and 1 am.

I would look fully through this thread and other threads on Magnet here before going with them, very few people have good things to say about them.

This one also http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85752204

It is not unlimited either, they throttle you if you go over 4 gigs between 4 pm and 1 am.

Sure, there are complains about Magnet, what provider does not have them? also there is happy people, it is hard to say what is the best (and cheaper :-P) Vodafone seems truly unlimited but they have 12 months contract and huge once-off charges for installation, modem, connection...

I am aware of the 4GB, but I still do not know if those are for the day or the whole month. I can setup the downloads for off-peak (more than 100TB off peak) I would concern about the limit if it is for the whole month, what would be insane.

foxaxel wrote: »
    Sure, there are complains about Magnet, what provider does not have them? also there is happy people, it is hard to say what is the best (and cheaper :-P) Vodafone seems truly unlimited but they have 12 months contract and huge once-off charges for installation, modem, connection...

I am aware of the 4GB, but I still do not know if those are for the day or the whole month. I can setup the downloads for off-peak (more than 100TB off peak) I would concern about the limit if it is for the whole month, what would be insane.

It is daily, they throttle your speed down to 1 Mb/s between 4pm and 1 am if you go over 4 gigs in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

It is daily, they throttle your speed down to 1 Mb/s between 4pm and 1 am if you go over 4 gigs in that time.

incorrect, the 1mb has been done away with, its 10mb+ now, ive hit over 4gb today and im getting this, so it depends really

3096871365.png

usual speed
    3086987371.png

WHY THE H*** are they so sibylline? You have to find in the deep of a forum to find what somebody found in the deep of their web about some kind of throttling that even though is not fully applied. WHY?

I am testing today with "heavy" usage and even counting Youtube (some 720p videos), other video webs and full of images webs and I cannot go further than 700MB. I think I can live with it.

The really heavy usage is done by my faithful Raspberry Pi during off-peak hours xDD

Thanks everybody for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Mason Storm

Magnet, go eat a fat one(pipe that is).

3110204124.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11 eagle has landed

disaster cant get upc in my apartment block , i hate magnet so much , anybody use eircom efibre 70mb broadnand at all or would it be the same as magnets fatpipe rubbish , i had eircom years ago and it was piss poor but wondering has it changed with that efibre broadband ,

disaster cant get upc in my apartment block , i hate magnet so much , anybody use eircom efibre 70mb broadnand at all or would it be the same as magnets fatpipe rubbish , i had eircom years ago and it was piss poor but wondering has it changed with that efibre broadband ,

What did you have years ago? just ADSL? It has changed with the eFibre infrastructure, perhaps it is not so good as the private UPC network but if you are reasonably close to a cabinet you could get a good speed. Where do you live, have you checked if you are close to a cabinet? (Map of the cabinets https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1M_lYcvMkt7xIqqSa43TdS1s25oRqtA2JgpxAkYM#map:id=4)

Why do you hate Magnet? ADSL speed, customer service?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

anyone else getting really slow speeds with magnet in the stepaside area, getting a ping of 999 to 1028ms and the magnet speed test or speedtest.net tests wont even start! my android phone is saying "your wi fi connection is unstable" and my "link" light on the modem is flashing, i am guessing the speed is a good bit slower than dial up. rebooted the modem a few times

i tried calling customer services but they close @ 8 :(

i was hoping to watch the ireland match online as i dont have setanta, thats not happening now

on the 24meg connection (not fatpipe) and the connection is usually stable at about 12 megs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

EDIT

magnet speedtest ran in the end, to be honest it doesnt feel like i am getting 20K/s but i suppose i must be

Download Speed: 166 kbps (20.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 56 kbps (7 KB/sec transfer rate)

Advertisement