Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Was going for the 24mb package as an upgrade (already on the force 8 package) but I was told my line would only support 12 mb.
    As I was only connecting at 6 mb, I instead asked them to change the profile on my connection and I am now connecting at 8mb with no cost increase :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

phill106 wrote: »
    Was going for the 24mb package as an upgrade (already on the force 8 package) but I was told my line would only support 12 mb.
    As I was only connecting at 6 mb, I instead asked them to change the profile on my connection and I am now connecting at 8mb with no cost increase :)

Just got 24mb installed, might ask about what profile I'm on, because it seems to be capped at 8mb:

2775018020.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I have the same. 6.5 down and ~0.6 meg up :/. There is a condition in the terms whereby if the line cannot sustain the advertise speeds your package will be downgraded and you'll have to pay less.

I'm going to try that soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Gumbi wrote: »
    I have the same. 6.5 down and ~0.6 meg up :/. There is a condition in the terms whereby if the line cannot sustain the advertise speeds your package will be downgraded and you'll have to pay less.

I'm going to try that soon enough.

Have you been having trouble with dropped connections?

When I'm online, very often the DSL connection will drop (message from router and '@' dsl light goes off) and takes a few minutes for the router to get the connection back.

I'm in an area with 70MBit available (new VDSL2 cab just outside), yet their line checker says I can only get 24MBit. After getting it, it turns out to be capped at 8MBit, and with these dropped connections, could their solution be to drop my connection speed even lower?

No, in fairness, my connection has been consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 WardyCfc

Last post here has been a while but anyway ill shout at you guys for info.

As some of you are probably aware Magnet throttle your down speed to 1mb/s if you dl over 4gb between peak hours (4pm-1am)
    I am unsure of the legality of this especially when it comes to certain sites (netflix, facebook, tv3 player etc) not being throttled but that is for another day.

My question is has anyone successfully negotiated Magnet around this constriction, even tried to do so to what result or is it something you just have to live with ??

WardyCfc wrote: »
    Last post here has been a while but anyway ill shout at you guys for info.

As some of you are probably aware Magnet throttle your down speed to 1mb/s if you dl over 4gb between peak hours (4pm-1am)
    I am unsure of the legality of this especially when it comes to certain sites (netflix, facebook, tv3 player etc) not being throttled but that is for another day.

My question is has anyone successfully negotiated Magnet around this constriction, even tried to do so to what result or is it something you just have to live with ??
    No, but I am going to try. Am getting ~8MB/s down and ~0.7 up on the 24 down 1 up package. So I will give out to them about that and the cap (for example I watch a lot of streams on Twitch.tv).

Calling something unlimited and then applying restrictions to every site bar a select few is doubtfully legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

WHAT!!!

I'm about to change from UPC 150 Mb/s to Magnet 70 Mb/s tomorrow.

I've my sky box connected to it at the moment, and I know I will well download in excess of 4GB between the hours of 4pm and 1am - last month I downloaded over 600GB!!!

If they throttle me, they can get stuffed!

I changed from UPC because of a constant late payment fee on my bill - even though the bill was paid on time, in full, before the due date, they keep adding a 12 euro charge to the bill. I've gotten so sick of billing issues, so I'm prepared to leave and try magnet fatpipe 70mb broadband - reports on here seem to suggest magnet is faster than upc due to lower contention ratios on magnet!

But a throttle at peak times renders this service unusable!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

UPC 150Mb/s current:

Eircom
    2932567414.png

Vodafone
    2932570923.png

UPC
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 26145 kbps (3268.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 11972 kbps (1496.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 13 ms
    29 August 2013 22:17:50

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Getting a bit annoyed, not necessarily at Magnet, but more at Eircom being so slow activating efibre to my home. The rest of Donabate are up live, and my area, in the centre of the village still isn't active.

Paying €60 a month for a 24mpbs ADSL line, that can't even break 700kbs downloads, unable to play youtube videos while I game, and can't watch 720p streams while I game. If I am downloading the internet grinds to a hault. Shocking speeds in 2013, especially when I had years on the cutting edge of Fibre with UPC.

Eircom need to pull the finger out and get rolling, I vomit everytime I get my bill in, paying that amoutn of money for a service I'd be disappointed with in 2000.

And to add insult to injury the line constantly dropping to 4-5mbps, occasionally gettig 20+. Not really bothered calling anymore as the technical support while decent, can never give me a solution that lasts more then a month

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    Getting a bit annoyed, not necessarily at Magnet, but more at Eircom being so slow activating efibre to my home. The rest of Donabate are up live, and my area, in the centre of the village still isn't active.

Paying €60 a month for a 24mpbs ADSL line, that can't even break 700kbs downloads, unable to play youtube videos while I game, and can't watch 720p streams while I game. If I am downloading the internet grinds to a hault. Shocking speeds in 2013, especially when I had years on the cutting edge of Fibre with UPC.

Eircom need to pull the finger out and get rolling, I vomit everytime I get my bill in, paying that amoutn of money for a service I'd be disappointed with in 2000.

And to add insult to injury the line constantly dropping to 4-5mbps, occasionally gettig 20+. Not really bothered calling anymore as the technical support while decent, can never give me a solution that lasts more then a month
    Regarding the streaming, if it's Twitch.tv, they are known to have an appalling infrastructure in Europe and the problem likely isn't on your end of things (at least in that regard.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Regarding the streaming, if it's Twitch.tv, they are known to have an appalling infrastructure in Europe and the problem likely isn't on your end of things (at least in that regard.

It's fine for friends and I never had a problem with UPC, it's a local ISP issue I'm afraid.

I'm aware of the Twitch issues, and I'm definitly suffering local ISP stagnation, happening on pretty much all streaming platforms

Well I rang them and played all innocent about knowing I was being throttled "I just taught it was broke".

It came out in the end and i expressed to the guy that it was unacceptable as there are 4 of us in the house and we are all developers so 4gb dl limit a day just wasn't going to cut it. Apparently he has raised the query to level 2 and is going to try and resolve the issue for me through his manager. So today we are going to download as usual and see what happens.

The plan is to dl as normal everyday and ring them everyday we get throttled giving out untill they fix it or admit they cannot and its permanent at which stage we will be forced to take another course of action. I urge you all to do the same. If they get X amount of calls a day on the same topic they are bound to do something about it

Well I rang them and played all innocent about knowing I was being throttled "I just taught it was broke".

It came out in the end and i expressed to the guy that it was unacceptable as there are 4 of us in the house and we are all developers so 4gb dl limit a day just wasn't going to cut it. Apparently he has raised the query to level 2 and is going to try and resolve the issue for me through his manager. So today we are going to download as usual and see what happens.

The plan is to dl as normal everyday and ring them everyday we get throttled giving out untill they fix it or admit they cannot and its permanent at which stage we will be forced to take another course of action. I urge you all to do the same. If they get X amount of calls a day on the same topic they are bound to do something about it

Are you on the Fatpipe?

A throttling cap to my account would be a change to terms and services and would make my contract void. There was explicitly no mention of a cap and throttling when I signed up, that is AFAIK only applying to the fatpipe accounts.

I was pretty explicit checking that when I sgined up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Totally fed up with Magnet now and it has only been 2 weeks, gonna switch to Vodafone, anyone here with experience of cancelling with them, how long does it take and how much will it cost me.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Are you on the Fatpipe?

A throttling cap to my account would be a change to terms and services and would make my contract void. There was explicitly no mention of a cap and throttling when I signed up, that is AFAIK only applying to the fatpipe accounts.

I was pretty explicit checking that when I sgined up

Yeah im on FATPIPE FIBRE 70. No mention of this throttling through the whole installation phase, we where offered unlimited download, thats what we expected. To make things worse they throttle everything except a few hand picked sites like netflix, facebook, tv3player ec. There has to be a legal issue here, for example i want to watch lovefilm but cant cause its throttled, how is this fair competition between netflix and lovefilm

Xenji wrote: »
    Totally fed up with Magnet now and it has only been 2 weeks, gonna switch to Vodafone, anyone here with experience of cancelling with them, how long does it take and how much will it cost me.

/from my understanding, unless your on that fatpipe deals, you have a 12 month contract that is costly to get out of.

I'm not exactly looking to break my contract, I'm just annoyed at paying €60 for a very sporadic service.

In fairness though my games are never interupted which is the main thing, but having to wait hours and days for downloads is a joke in this day and age.

Downloading a 10gb file from work at the moment, at 164kbps average, the state of the download speed is actually going to make me loose my work from home days...

They are scum the majority of them, just got off the phone with one to get my UAM number, and he was trying to spin some BS that I knew was not true and told me that Vodafone were crooks and would even slower speeds on my line than the 2mb I am getting now on a supposed 24mb line with them and basically started laughing at me. They are gonna charge me 6 weeks plus the installation to move, such a waste of money, but screw them anyway seeing that you have to give them a month notice to cancel. I know my line can give me over 20 Mb/s the apartment beside me is on Vodafone and is getting at 22 MB/s average.

They are scum the majority of them, just got off the phone with one to get my UAM number, and he was trying to spin some BS that I knew was not true and told me that Vodafone were crooks and would even slower speeds on my line than the 2mb I am getting now on a supposed 24mb line with them and basically started laughing at me. They are gonna charge me 6 weeks plus the installation to move, such a waste of money, but screw them anyway seeing that you have to give them a month notice to cancel. I know my line can give me over 20 Mb/s the apartment beside me is on Vodafone and is getting at 22 MB/s average.

You could argue you are not paying because they are not supplying the service to which you agreed to pay for. Check out the 5 9s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_availability

Well apparently this is totally illegal under EU law as its anti-competitive. As they dont throttle certain sites
    https://www.magnet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Magnet-NGA-Traffic-Management-Protection-Policy.pdf

Example i was given was LoveFilm customer cant stream, NetFlix customer can. As a Magnet customer I switch to NetFlix.
    LoveFilm is a victim of unfair, anti competitive bandwidth shaping.

Illegal under WU law and Magnet would want to get a grip

• Advertisement

Well apparently this is totally illegal under EU law as its anti-competitive. As they dont throttle certain sites
    https://www.magnet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Magnet-NGA-Traffic-Management-Protection-Policy.pdf

Example i was given was LoveFilm customer cant stream, NetFlix customer can. As a Magnet customer I switch to NetFlix.
    LoveFilm is a victim of unfair, anti competitive bandwidth shaping.

Illegal under WU law and Magnet would want to get a grip

Absolutely it's illegal. You can't say "no caps whatsoever" and then say - well we throttle all sits but xyz during peak hours if you dl more than 4GB. FFS. I can only use the Internet between 6 and 12 (peak hours) and I'm not the only one using it. 4 x 30 is a measly 120GB of non-throttled Internet per month. Unlimited my hole. (Not to mention the anti-competitive aspect).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

This may be of interest it's from the comreg website:

A number of telephone and broadband packages being offered are described as ‘unlimited’. In this context the word ‘unlimited’ would normally be taken to mean that a subscriber, having agreed to pay a set price, may make as many calls or spend as much time online as he or she wishes. However, some service contracts qualify the meaning of ‘unlimited’ by stating that it is subject to an ‘acceptable’ or ‘fair’ level of use by the subscriber. This is referred to as a “fair usage policy” in some advertising.

ComReg would like to advise consumers that any provision of a contract which sets usage thresholds, or describes what constitutes ‘fair’ or ‘acceptable’ use, should be clear and unambiguous, particularly where the service is described as being ‘unlimited’. Usage thresholds or limits should be clearly set out, as should the manner in which they may be updated or amended.

ComReg expects each service provider to implement a clear, transparent and policy for dealing with customer usage above any set thresholds. The policy should set out the rules for contract termination, including penalties, the charges that shall apply for any use above the threshold/limit, and the policy regarding migration of the customer to other packages, if applicable. - See more at: http://www.askcomreg.ie/internet/unlimited_broadband____fair_use_policy.391.LE.asp#

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

dub45 wrote: »
    This may be of interest it's from the comreg website:

Did you hear the one about the elephant and the zebra that went into a bar?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bealtine wrote: »
    Did you hear the one about the elephant and the zebra that went into a bar?

It gives them ammunition to challenge Magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

dub45 wrote: »
    It gives them ammunition to challenge Magnet.

and when Magnet say "go away", just like Sky currently do, where they blatantly break the rules and even publish on their website that they are breaking the guidelines, what then? Comreg will do absolutely nothing as always perhaps ask them nicely not to do that.

I agree that this "unlimited" scam is disgraceful but quoting Comreg is about as useful as being savaged by a dead snail

getting fatpipe 70 installed at the moment, thomson modem arrived yesterday. Will be checking it out tonight :)

getting fatpipe 70 installed at the moment, thomson modem arrived yesterday. Will be checking it out tonight :)

Just do not download or stream anything over 4 gigs during the hours of 4 PM and 1 AM, unless you want your speed to go down to 1MB.

Just do not download or stream anything over 4 gigs during the hours of 4 PM and 1 AM, unless you want your speed to go down to 1MB.

That does seem disappointing, it says they MAY not they will, do they def throttle all users?

That does seem disappointing, it says they MAY not they will, do they def throttle all users?

A good few people here have mentioned it, I had it done to me, their line speeds have a habit of being very volatile and drop a lot as well

• Advertisement

We got the cap lifted, you need to talk to a level 2 engineer or a sales guy.
    It seems they know they are breaking the law and quoting EU directives will get them moving fairly fst

Here the link we got most information, a bit of research you and your flying
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality

However I would recommend that if it all possible stay away from Magnet at all costs
    Horrible customer service
    False advertisement
    Anti-competitive policies

Advertisement