Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I have the Magnet Fat Pipe and haven't had any issues. I get constant speeds of 20-50 gigs, usually closer to 20 during peak hours but that still is brilliant sure. Previously I had the Eircom NGB package which only have me 7 megs so this being treble that even during peak times is pretty amazing, especially considering I'm paying about the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

CptSternn wrote: »
    I have the Magnet Fat Pipe and haven't had any issues. I get constant speeds of 20-50 gigs, usually closer to 20 during peak hours but that still is brilliant sure. Previously I had the Eircom NGB package which only have me 7 megs so this being treble that even during peak times is pretty amazing, especially considering I'm paying about the same.
    Well thats great wish I was getting 20. Question for those who know networks if I got 12 megs solidly for 9 months and it drops to 20k tonight is it likely to be a quick fix issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

DRice wrote: »
    Well thats great wish I was getting 20. Question for those who know networks if I got 12 megs solidly for 9 months and it drops to 20k tonight is it likely to be a quick fix issue?

not likely a quick fix no, im guessing your on a adsl2+ package yeah? if you post up line stats some might be able to help you

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

dazdrog wrote: »
    not likely a quick fix no, im guessing your on a adsl2+ package yeah? if you post up line stats some might be able to help you
    Ah thanks, how do I check the line stats? I am on adsl2+

it could be http://192.168.1.1 but im not too sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

disaster cant get upc in my apartment block , i hate magnet so much , anybody use eircom efibre 70mb broadnand at all or would it be the same as magnets fatpipe rubbish , i had eircom years ago and it was piss poor but wondering has it changed with that efibre broadband ,

MAgnet resell Eircom services. So the performance and stability you get with Magnet wont improve with Eircom tbh.

I'm in an area that the only choice is Eircom or Magnet, and I swore I'd never give Eircom a penny of my money ever again. Magnet has been less then smooth sailing but I've been getting some help atleast, although consistent issues since April.

Absolute nightmare coming from high speed stable internet.

Fatpipe is basically Eircom Next gen, btoh are Fibre to the cabinet.

If you can get Magnet specific lines, then its the fastest in the country, faster then UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

TheDoc wrote: »
    MAgnet resell Eircom services. So the performance and stability you get with Magnet wont improve with Eircom tbh.

I'm in an area that the only choice is Eircom or Magnet, and I swore I'd never give Eircom a penny of my money ever again. Magnet has been less then smooth sailing but I've been getting some help atleast, although consistent issues since April.

Absolute nightmare coming from high speed stable internet.

Fatpipe is basically Eircom Next gen, btoh are Fibre to the cabinet.

If you can get Magnet specific lines, then its the fastest in the country, faster then UPC

I do not believe that when it comes to Magnet, when I was with them I could only get about 6mb on a speedtest on a good day with a whole host of other issues such a terrible pings that went over 1800 and speeds that would go down to around 0.3mb. I then moved to Vodafone after some disgraceful behavior from their support team and now on the same line I get 19mb constantly without any issues, the modem is even the same. Magnet do some strange patching on the lines which renders them very unreliable and unusable quite a lot of times, well with the 24mb plan anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm in an area that the only choice is Eircom or Magnet, and I swore I'd never give Eircom a penny of my money ever again.

That is completely untrue, ALL ISPs in the market ultimately use the Eircom network. I.E. Digiweb, Smart, Vodafone, BT, Magnet, Sky and of course Eircom.

The difference is who is using whos backhaul. Digiweb and Smart share backhaul as its the same company. Vodafone use backhaul provided by BT and Sky also use the BT backhaul.

All still run over Eircoms network.

You can get service from any of the above providers and are not forced to use Eircom/Magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 eagle has landed

i hate magnet because the speed is slow and it goes at to a crawl after 6 cant even load a 50 sec youtube clip iv 70mb fatpipe it loses connection an awful lot aswell ,

• Registered Users Posts: 12 foxaxel

i hate magnet because the speed is slow and it goes at to a crawl after 6 cant even load a 50 sec youtube clip iv 70mb fatpipe it loses connection an awful lot aswell ,

How far are you from the cabinet? what speed do they promise to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Mason Storm

Same over here. Speeds are fine and at an average of 30-40mbps between 1AM and 5PM and then go straight down the toilet again until 1 in the morning. Same thing every day.

Same over here. Speeds are fine and at an average of 30-40mbps between 1AM and 5PM and then go straight down the toilet again until 1 in the morning. Same thing every day.

Sounds like they are throttling your speed, are you going over the 4 gig download cap in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Mason Storm

Xenji wrote: »
    Sounds like they are throttling your speed, are you going over the 4 gig download cap in that time.

I might go over 4 gigs in the middle of the night but never during the evening. I couldn't even if I wanted to with how slow it is.

I might go over 4 gigs in the middle of the night but never during the evening. I couldn't even if I wanted to with how slow it is.

There was a rumour a few pages back of them limiting speeds between 4 and 1 regardless of what you had downloaded, maybe it is being rolled out now?

they said i should get around 50mb on my line i get 40mb sometimes, i do go over the limit most days but if im paying 45 euro a month for unlimted i shouldnt see why im brought down to a crawl its a disgrace really , the cabinet is only across the road not far at all , im goin to try a VPN for awhile and see does that help somewhat , i also used those google tools to test am i been throttled and it says my download speed is been effected but not my upload , i ran the test at 7:30 , i ran the test again at 3am and it said it wasnt effected

They lie when they say its unlimited, I got out of my contract by telling them it was false advertising and I would go to comreg and that they were breaking EU law as regards throttling discrimination, such as not throttling Youtube, but throttling competition.

id love nothing better to do than leave them but the options in my apartment building are slim magnet or eircom , i was spoilt when i had upc in my old place never a problem with them on the broadband side although there sales team can be very annoying constant calls trying to sell you stuff , i think il try the vpn for a week or two and see does it make much of a difference

id love nothing better to do than leave them but the options in my apartment building are slim magnet or eircom , i was spoilt when i had upc in my old place never a problem with them on the broadband side although there sales team can be very annoying constant calls trying to sell you stuff , i think il try the vpn for a week or two and see does it make much of a difference

if you can get eircom, you can get any provider that resells eircom, thats vodafone, magnet and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ogre357

Service for the past two months have even shocking. Can't even get online most evenings. Phone wifi turned off to be able to use 3G for bb.
    Rang Magnet up to be told that I had too many devices connected - I counted 5 in the house. What a load of bs. Tried to switch to sky but what ever way Magnet gave phone line configured were stuck without having to go back to eircom. Bought new router but not being given setting to enter into it.
    Time to give them the two fingers and use phone as hotspot me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Magnet FTTH just crapped out in Dunboyne it seems...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SnipSnop

Life with Magnet.

lcdpe.png

Daily drops are between 5pm - 1am. Last 2-3 days down to *beep*

half 11 in the day with 161MB downloaded since 1am last nite and this is the ****e ive to put up with

tested to see if im being throttled and yup i am

HTTP TEST

Is your upload traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your uploads.
    Is your download traffic rate limited?

Your ISP appears to rate limit your downloads.
    There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your HTTP downloads. In our tests, downloads using control flows achieved up to 880 Kbps while downloads using HTTP achieved up to 850 Kbps.
    Your ISP appears to allow higher bandwidth downloads on port 8080. In our tests, downloads on port 8080 achieved up to 4745 Kbps while downloads on port 49312 achieved up to 880 Kbps.

BITTORRENT TEST

Details:

* There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests, downloads using control flows achieved up to 858 Kbps while downloads using BitTorrent achieved up to 862 Kbps.

* Your ISP appears to allow higher bandwidth downloads on port 6881. In our tests, downloads on port 6881 achieved up to 4627 Kbps while downloads on port 50842 achieved up to 858 Kbps

3156087089.png

strange that i get 5mb down while my mate next door on vodafone gets 43mb down (its same speed i get when magnet aint playing with bandwidth)

least ill only have a few more days of this to put up with as ive just changed to vodafone, 5 euro a month cheaper too

half 11 in the day with 161MB downloaded since 1am last nite and this is the ****e ive to put up with

HTTP test

Details:
    square.pngThere is no indication that your ISP rate limits your HTTP downloads. In our tests, downloads using control flows achieved up to 880 Kbps while downloads using HTTP achieved up to 850 Kbps.
    square.pngYour ISP appears to allow higher bandwidth downloads on port 8080. In our tests, downloads on port 8080 achieved up to 4745 Kbps while downloads on port 49312 achieved up to 880 Kbps.

Call them up and tell them that they are breaking EU competition laws by throttling sites certain sites and not others, for example not throttling YouTube, but throttling LoveFilm, as soon as I mentioned it to them and others have done the same here, they agreed to lift it, also got out of my contract that way as well without having to pay the month in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 foxaxel

Hey where do you get that speed analysis? It is quite good. Also, what web tells you if your provider is slowing down some download/uploads

Thanks
    Soerenlp wrote: »
    Life with Magnet.

lcdpe.png

Daily drops are between 5pm - 1am. Last 2-3 days down to *beep*

HTTP test

Details:
    square.pngThere is no indication that your ISP rate limits your HTTP downloads. In our tests, downloads using control flows achieved up to 880 Kbps while downloads using HTTP achieved up to 850 Kbps.
    square.pngYour ISP appears to allow higher bandwidth downloads on port 8080. In our tests, downloads on port 8080 achieved up to 4745 Kbps while downloads on port 49312 achieved up to 880 Kbps.

Bittorrent

Details:

* There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests, downloads using control flows achieved up to 858 Kbps while downloads using BitTorrent achieved up to 862 Kbps.

* Your ISP appears to allow higher bandwidth downloads on port 6881. In our tests, downloads on port 6881 achieved up to 4627 Kbps while downloads on port 50842 achieved up to 858 Kbps

3156087089.png
    Call them up and tell them that they are breaking EU competition laws by throttling sites certain sites and not others, for example not throttling YouTube, but throttling LoveFilm, as soon as I mentioned it to them and others have done the same here, they agreed to lift it, also got out of my contract that way as well without having to pay the month in hand.

3156087089.png

strange that i get 5mb down while my mate next door on vodafone gets 43mb down (its same speed i get when magnet aint playing with bandwidth)

least ill only have a few more days of this to put up with as ive just changed to vodafone, 5 euro a month cheaper too

Emailed magnet last night in relation to this and got a call this morning (Have to say not bad support).

Anyways was told they are having issues on the whole network and that it will probably be January before the issue is sorted.
    From what he said every single "fatpipe" customer is effected.

ive already left them tbh and ill be telling friends on the fatpipe packages to do the same. and the throttling aint only on a few sites, the hole world wide web is limited at the moment, they are no longer breaking eu law by doing so and as i can see from my connection are enforcing this the last week or two
    Emailed magnet last night in relation to this and got a call this morning (Have to say not bad support).

Anyways was told they are having issues on the whole network and that it will probably be January before the issue is sorted.
    From what he said every single "fatpipe" customer is effected.

What does that tell you? it tells me they didnt buy enough bandwidth, so this "fix" in January in my eyes is going to do little, as they will without a doubt buy not enough bandwidth again and users will be back to the same poor speeds in no time

for people wanting to know where the test came from http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/glasnost.php

What does that tell you? it tells me they didnt buy enough bandwidth, so this "fix" in January in my eyes is going to do little, as they will without a doubt buy not enough bandwidth again and users will be back to the same poor speeds in no time
    Totally agree.

How easy to switch to vodafone? Do they send out router/modem and what about cancelling magnet?

Totally agree.

How easy to switch to vodafone? Do they send out router/modem and what about cancelling magnet?

I switched over to Vodafone from Magnet and it was very easy, all you need to do is get two numbers off of Magnet, which I cannot remember the name of now but Vodafone will tell you, and then give them to Vodafone and then they will do the rest for you. I got a letter from Magnet saying I had to send my router/modem back and just got a TP one from Argos, was up and running with Vodafone in just over a week from when I switched with them.

I switched over to Vodafone from Magnet and it was very easy, all you need to do is get two numbers off of Magnet, which I cannot remember the name of now but Vodafone will tell you, and then give them to Vodafone and then they will do the rest for you. I got a letter from Magnet saying I had to send my router/modem back and just got a TP one from Argos, was up and running with Vodafone in just over a week from when I switched with them.

Thanks for that. And what are speeds like at nighttime? slowdown or full speed?

• Advertisement

Totally agree.

ring them up on 1800 805 014 they will tell you whats needed and they also post out a new modem, 5-10 min phone call and its sorted. magnet fatpipe packages are contract free and on a monthly basis so there is no problem with canceling

Advertisement