Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Bavar wrote: »
    That is not the modem problem. I switch back voip on my old router (Linksys WRP400) and this same situation, try call and the gate down. Even if some miracle get connection, nobody hear me :(

Odd thing is, if i dial my mobile from the landline, nothing happens, just silence. When I hangup the landline, then my mobile starts ringing. I can answer but no one is there. Phantom call!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bavar

Voip service fixed, testing and working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

According Magnet they upgrade their backbone. Voip has been restored as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Does anyone know if Magnet can cap the speed of torrent programs? I have magnet fibre, 150mb i think it is.

I used to use Utorrent but a yr or two ago i noticed i could never get good speeds, just a couple of kb/s. So i changed to bitcomed where i got speeds of up to maybe 10-20mb/s. The past or so Bitcomet seems to be giving me max 400kb/s! Are magnet capping it or what?

actually im downloading the same file on both now and getting roughly 750kb/s on utorrent and 350kb/s on bitcomet!

Same here, took them long enough

• Advertisement

Murtinho wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Magnet can cap the speed of torrent programs? I have magnet fibre, 150mb i think it is.

I used to use Utorrent but a yr or two ago i noticed i could never get good speeds, just a couple of kb/s. So i changed to bitcomed where i got speeds of up to maybe 10-20mb/s. The past or so Bitcomet seems to be giving me max 400kb/s! Are magnet capping it or what?

actually im downloading the same file on both now and getting roughly 750kb/s on utorrent and 350kb/s on bitcomet!

I have gotten torrent speeds of up to 5mb down recently so dont think they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

magnets so called fix is broken again, my 30 days notice cant come fast enough

3170824896.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Confirmed that the download speeds are low again.

phill106 wrote: »
    I have gotten torrent speeds of up to 5mb down recently so dont think they do.

I havnt gotten speeds like that in weeks, previously i regularly did, which makes me wonder if they notice the large amount of BB i use and cap the program. They might even do it specifically for me?

I havnt gotten speeds like that in weeks, previously i regularly did, which makes me wonder if they notice the large amount of BB i use and cap the program. They might even do it specifically for me?

I queried that with a manager chap I was talking to on the phone the other day, I cited ps4 and large downloads etc etc. He said while throttling was in the t+c it was not being implemented yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Yeah with the PS4 it would be a balls. I downloaded a legitimate copy of Battlefield 4 through the Playstation network the last day that was 37GB!

Downloading a new movie at 2.8mb at the moment while also downloading a new tv show at 1mb.
    Ive had faster but its ok as I am going to bed now anyway!

Update...just hit 5mb down on the movie, be down in 10 minutes now

I think magnet have some script which one throttle bandwidth when you download over 4 gigs.
    My connection is fine
    3171913519.png

Bavar wrote: »
    I think magnet have some script which one throttle bandwidth when you download over 4 gigs.
    My connection is fine
    3171913519.png

over 4 gig/ day, /month,/yr???

over 4 gig/ day, /month,/yr???

When you download 4 gig or more in time from 4pm to 1am/day, then throttle your bandwidth. Im only quess that maybe happend, and no idea how long to abide.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭RichCRX

I got a text from Service Prov saying my new phone service has now been connected, with an order no.

I'm guessing this is from Eircom?

The thing is Eircom didn't show on the scheduled appointment and I have been trying to reschedule another date asap through magnet (to no avail) and now I get this. My phone services couldn't possibly been connected.

I've order Magnet Broadband near 3 weeks ago now...such a joke, even if it is an Eircom problem, I don't think Magnet are following up with them very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Izmak

Had a phone call from Magnet earlier, stating that they'd found errors on my line and wanting to know if they could send out an Engineer.

Pointed out that I wasn't in the country over Christmas, and said they'd reschedule.

Kinda came out of the blue, as I haven't spoken to them since my previous correspondence just over a week ago regarding the download speeds (which were fixed, from what I can tell).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Izmak wrote: »
    Had a phone call from Magnet earlier, stating that they'd found errors on my line and wanting to know if they could send out an Engineer.

Pointed out that I wasn't in the country over Christmas, and said they'd reschedule.

Kinda came out of the blue, as I haven't spoken to them since my previous correspondence just over a week ago regarding the download speeds (which were fixed, from what I can tell).

It will not be their engineer, it will be from Eircom and they did the same to a friend of mine and charged him €120 on his next bill, cowboys!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

anybody know what happens when the eircom engineer fails to show up. I was supposed top get fatpipe 70 setup today but no show from the engineer.

There is 45 install fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Situation: Current DSL line in place, operated by vodafone. Residents want to provide a second line for VDSL with either Vodafone or Magnet. Anyone know if they both will charge the installation fee? And do magnet do new provides or only port in place lines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Anyone with Magnet in Dublin 4 with good/bad experiences to share?

So, figured I'd post an update on here.

Last 4-5 weeks, Magnet's had horrendous packet loss issues each and every night during prime time (18:30 -> 00:15 approximately). By massive, I'm talking anywhere between 5% and 30%. Currently have ~26.5% packet loss to a teamspeak server that I use in the Czech Republic.

Every single person I know in Cork who has Magnet has the same issues, and every single one of them has contacted Magnet, only to be fobbed off with excuses as to how they are looking into it, and it will be fixed soon. At this point, I don't even know why I'm still with Magnet, aside from the fact that knowing how slow Eircom is when it comes to sorting stuff out. Several of my friends are in the process of switching, and it's taking them weeks to get their replacement connections up and running.

Edit: Updated with a screenshot link to Teamspeak Packet loss - it dropped back down sub-20% whilst writing this:
    http://imgur.com/MboANzK

Is anybody else in the Cork area (on Magnet, or on another ISP) having these issues? It's beyond infuriating at this point, and Magnet honestly don't seem to give a damn.

Same thing to germany on UPC. Dont think its any one provider having issues atm.

ED E wrote: »
    Same thing to germany on UPC. Dont think its any one provider having issues atm.

For the last few weeks? Originally Magnet told us that the routing equipment up in Dublin had been damaged in floods.

Izmak wrote: »
    For the last few weeks? Originally Magnet told us that the routing equipment up in Dublin had been damaged in floods.

I wasnt gaming for a few weeks but the last week at least. And know a few Eircom customers with issues to mainland europe.

UPC supposedly are implementing IPv6 but I'd say its more likely issues at DECIX that eircom reps posted about a while back.

To update you all on this, the packet loss issues around Cork for those on Magnet Fibre are still happening, over a month since I last posted in this thread (and ongoing for over 2 months in total).

Whilst you have the occasional day where your internet works normally during 18:00 - 00:15 Prime Time, over 90% of the time you still have 5-30% Packet Loss, making any kind of online gaming, or even talking on Skype/Teamspeak pretty much impossible.

I sent a second email to Magnet last night, have yet to hear a reply.

The only thing keeping me attached to Magnet right now is, hilariously enough - the lack of a contract that their Fibre offer has. I really don't want to get tied down into another 12-18 month contract with another provider. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 12 S4astliv

I also have an issue with Magnet Fibre Broadband. Not critical though, but still it is there.

FTP download sets itself the constant speed of around 100 kb/s. Does not go up or down. FTP upload is much more faster (1 mb/s). HTTP is fast both directions.

I have done lots of troubleshooting:

- tried to FTP download the same file from work - no issue (3 mb/s)
    - tried different computer a home - same issue
    - tried router reset - not helped
    - a friend tried to FTP download the same file from his home (also magnet fibre) - no issue (3 mb/s)

Called magnet support - they never heard of such an issue. Anyone with the same problem?

S4astliv wrote: »
    I also have an issue with Magnet Fibre Broadband. Not critical though, but still it is there.

FTP download sets itself the constant speed of around 100 kb/s. Does not go up or down. FTP upload is much more faster (1 mb/s). HTTP is fast both directions.

- a friend tried to FTP download the same file from his home (also magnet fibre) - no issue (3 mb/s)

Called magnet support - they never heard of such an issue. Anyone with the same problem?

Its been mentioned on boards before. It would appear they have a hard rate limit on FTP traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

S4astliv wrote: »

Discussed here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057158312

Try SFTP (port 22), otherwise it seems you need to go through a VPN for full speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 S4astliv

seanp_25 wrote: »
    Discussed here:

Try SFTP (port 22), otherwise it seems you need to go through a VPN for full speed.

Using SFTP (SSH), a bit different port, seems to be better, but not much...

Advertisement