Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Soerenlp wrote: »
    Thanks for that. And what are speeds like at nighttime? slowdown or full speed?

I am on the 24MB plan, was the same with Magnet, and of course Magnet gave me the usual bull**** that if your line is slow with us it will be slow with Vodafone, but I never get below 19MB when I do a speedtest and have no issues with slowdowns , it is always constantly fast, can usually download at about 1.8MB/s a second.

dazdrog wrote: »
    ring them up on 1800 805 014 they will tell you whats needed and they also post out a new modem, 5-10 min phone call and its sorted. magnet fatpipe packages are contract free and on a monthly basis so there is no problem with canceling

You have to give them 30 days notice though, so they will still charge you money for those 30 days from when you cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Izmak

Emailed Magnet support myself yesterday, had a call back last night that basically summized the same as Soerenlp.
    Emailed magnet last night in relation to this and got a call this morning (Have to say not bad support).

Anyways was told they are having issues on the whole network and that it will probably be January before the issue is sorted.
    From what he said every single "fatpipe" customer is effected.

Had fibre installed last Monday. It worked fine on Monday/Tuesday (by 'fine', I mean full 70MB download, 18MB upload), and then the download speeds went to ****. I'd been extremely careful with monitoring my download usage to ensure I wasn't capped (even went as far as telling Steam to only download games/patches in offpeak hours).

Magnet's own Speedtest (http://speedtest.magnet.ie/) varies a little, but is pretty consistently (over 80% of the time) above 46MB. It's usually closer to the advertised 70MB.

From 10 minutes ago:

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 46179 kbps (5772.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 13443 kbps (1680.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Current:

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 62970 kbps (7871.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 14511 kbps (1813.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Speedtest shows a very different story though, with results being much, much closer to Dazdrog.

To Dublin:
    3156103452.png

To Cork (I'm based in Cork):
    3156200782.png

Yet, it worked fine when it was originally installed last week. This is pretty much a dealbreaker for me, considering I was paying like 2 Euros less per month for a consistent 16MB Connection (albeit with ****ty upload).

Unbelievably frustrating to be in a position where you have the upload to stream, but you can't actually watch your own stream due to your download speed.

Had a couple of friends switch from Smart ADSL to Magnet Fibre last week. All of them are having the same issues.

Does anybody know if Eircom's own Fibre offerings have bandwidth throttling? They too advertise it as No Caps.

Had fibre from Eircom in the home house and never encountered any throttling, living away from home now and have not seen it with Vodafone either and I am a heavy downloader.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SnipSnop

Thanks guys, going to call Vodafone after lunch.
    Pretty clear that the issue is their own pipes being too small (Magnet's own speedtests shows what I should be getting).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 newbie1001

I'm getting the exact same result as this. Rang their support line (useless as usual) and they gave me some rubbish about it affecting Fatpipe customers, and it won't be resolved until January due to them not wanting to make network changes before Christmas-it's the 10th Dec FFS, not Christmas Eve! Anybody know what is going on with this crowd? They have been pretty much a disaster area since joining them a few months ago. Time to switch I think.
    Izmak wrote: »
    Emailed Magnet support myself yesterday, had a call back last night that basically summized the same as Soerenlp.

Had fibre installed last Monday. It worked fine on Monday/Tuesday (by 'fine', I mean full 70MB download, 18MB upload), and then the download speeds went to ****. I'd been extremely careful with monitoring my download usage to ensure I wasn't capped (even went as far as telling Steam to only download games/patches in offpeak hours).

Magnet's own Speedtest (http://speedtest.magnet.ie/) varies a little, but is pretty consistently (over 80% of the time) above 46MB. It's usually closer to the advertised 70MB.

From 10 minutes ago:

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 46179 kbps (5772.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 13443 kbps (1680.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Current:

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 62970 kbps (7871.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 14511 kbps (1813.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Speedtest shows a very different story though, with results being much, much closer to Dazdrog.

To Dublin:
    3156103452.png

To Cork (I'm based in Cork):
    3156200782.png

Yet, it worked fine when it was originally installed last week. This is pretty much a dealbreaker for me, considering I was paying like 2 Euros less per month for a consistent 16MB Connection (albeit with ****ty upload).

Unbelievably frustrating to be in a position where you have the upload to stream, but you can't actually watch your own stream due to your download speed.

Had a couple of friends switch from Smart ADSL to Magnet Fibre last week. All of them are having the same issues.

Does anybody know if Eircom's own Fibre offerings have bandwidth throttling? They too advertise it as No Caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

newbie1001 wrote: »
    I'm getting the exact same result as this. Rang their support line (useless as usual) and they gave me some rubbish about it affecting Fatpipe customers, and it won't be resolved until January due to them not wanting to make network changes before Christmas-it's the 10th Dec FFS, not Christmas Eve! Anybody know what is going on with this crowd? They have been pretty much a disaster area since joining them a few months ago. Time to switch I think.

eircom do not throttle. cap limit is at 500gb per month fup but its rarely enforced. but most of the enforcements tend to be due to excessive file sharing where inma have filed complaints to eircom or mass spamming emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I've recently changed to the fatpipe 70. Yes there is an issue with the download rates at the moment, but given my uploads are ~20 times faster and my downloads are going from a previous 500kbit to a current 1Mbit or so even with the current issue, I'm happy at the moment.

For those wishing to use the bridging, you may get the functionality you want from activating the DMZ on the Technicolor device and putting your own router IP as the designated DMZ device. I now have external connectivity to my network as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 eagle has landed

gave my 30 days notice today with magnet 70mb fatpipe was getting less than 1mb speed sunday and even slower monday dial up would be better than this crowd cant NOT wait to see the back of them 4 months of torture speeds with them good luck and thanks ,

gave my 30 days notice today with magnet 70mb fatpipe was getting less than 1mb speed sunday and even slower monday dial up would be better than this crowd cant NOT wait to see the back of them 4 months of torture speeds with them good luck and thanks ,

Contacted support and asked them to give an indication of when it would be back up and fast and no reply..
    Just cancelled after going with Vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Tooorbooo

Fatpipe 70. Stuck already a week with 5-6mb/s download speed, upload not affected (strange, but Youtube HD videos loads super fast). Support/engineer says that it will be back to normal in January,and they can't do anything about it now. Friend (with magnet) living next door has no issues with speed at all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Xenji wrote: »
    Had fibre from Eircom in the home house and never encountered any throttling, living away from home now and have not seen it with Vodafone either and I am a heavy downloader.

Did you get the modem vodafone give you for 20 euro or did you get your own? I have ordered the switch today but I want to make sure the modem they give is ok.

tony1980 wrote: »
    Did you get the modem vodafone give you for 20 euro or did you get your own? I have ordered the switch today but I want to make sure the modem they give is ok.

I went with a TP Link ( TD-W8951ND) modem/router from Argos as it was half price, had great reviews on Amazon as well, never had any issues with it in the last 3 months I have had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bavar

Something change, my speed back and is better quality excluding voip service:

3161479961.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Xenji wrote: »
    I went with a TP Link ( TD-W8951ND) modem/router from Argos as it was half price, had great reviews on Amazon as well, never had any issues with it in the last 3 months I have had it.

Did you get that in argos here or from the UK? I can't see it on the Irish site.

Bavar wrote: »
    Something change, my speed back and is better quality excluding voip service:

3161479961.png

Yep. Speeds seems to be back. Still switching though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Yep. Speeds seems to be back. Still switching though.

How come? Theres no reason to?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Izmak

My internet too picked up last night. It's not back up to 'full' speed (was getting 50-55 when I was downloading at home last night), but it's certainly an improvement over the 2-3 I've had for the last week.

Fingers crossed it stays like this. :)

Ronan14 wrote: »
    How come? Theres no reason to?

Pretty sure they have capacity issues (pipe just not big enough).
    Add to that the VOIP issues which has still not been fixed.

I work from home so slow speeds or phones not working = I loose money and my boss might want me back in the office.
    I don't like loosing money (or working in the office)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

My phone is down at the moment, broadband is still working though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Confirmed that speeds are up to advertised. I downloaded a torrent as a good method of saturating the connection, and I reached 65Mbit/sec. My vdsl device had been remotely rebooted and my IP address is now in a different range.

Interesting that port 80 is blocked inbound to the connection.

Anyone know why bandwidth have download cap 50mbps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Phone is down now for 4 days:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Bavar wrote: »
    Anyone know why bandwidth have download cap 50mbps?
    :confused:

Anyone get their phones working yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

dave1982 wrote: »
    Anyone get their phones working yet?

No mine is down since friday, got through to support on saturday, they said a small number of people with my type of modem was affected and they would contact me with more information. Nothing yet.
    Do you have the Technicolor TG789vn v3 as well?
    Second modem from them, got sent the v2 first and it was awful, only allowed 7 devices to connect during a 24 hour period...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ceril

Heya guys!
    I am currently very very cautious...

My household is currently with Magnet 2MB since the last 3 years (there wasnt more speed possible on our line :S).

In October I got a call from Magnet asking me if I would be interested in Fibre? I said "Sure, switch me!", however they said they can only switch me in December when its available in my area (Why calling me in October about that?)
    Anyways, they also mentioned that they can change my line right now to 6MB (or 8MB, i cannot remember was too long ago lol) free of charge and they will take over the eircom line as well free of charge (currently paying the rental fee for the line) and in december they will give me a call/mail when they are switching me to fat fibre.

2 days ago, my flatmate was asking me about fibre, and I actually completely forgot about it haha so I called Magnet and explained the situation in what happen in October.

A lovely lady checked everything and told me that my "case" got closed in October with no explanation. The lady said she will call me back on Monday telling me, hopefully, what happen. So I have not been switched since then to 6 or 8MB, as promised. I am still paying rental fee to eircom and I have no fibre.

From all the readings here and on magnet facebook page, I am currently unsure in what to do.

phill106 wrote: »
    No mine is down since friday, got through to support on saturday, they said a small number of people with my type of modem was affected and they would contact me with more information. Nothing yet.
    Second modem from them, got sent the v2 first and it was awful, only allowed 7 devices to connect during a 24 hour period...

Yeah same router and its making a clicking noise sometimes very annoying customer support was useless, tough **** approach to me just wait for it to be fixed.

phill106 wrote: »

That is not the modem problem. I switch back voip on my old router (Linksys WRP400) and this same situation, try call and the gate down. Even if some miracle get connection, nobody hear me :(

• Advertisement

Same no can hear me either, how are your speeds can't download getting getting 2mbs speed

Advertisement