Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

baraca wrote: »
    Got the modem for the 150mb service in wexford today and it's very slow, Wireless i'm getting between 35-45mbps and wired i'm only getting around 50mbps. Anyone know what could be wrong?

I'm not paying €65 a month for this.

1597243866.png

Wow, that's shocking. Have you tried doing a proper download instead a speedtest?
    Go grab something from ftp.heanet.ie and see what speeds you get.

Maybe its a Wexford thing?
    I'm in Sandyford and my connection is still fast, but the router lockout has me disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

daffy_duc wrote: »
    Wow, that's shocking. Have you tried doing a proper download instead a speedtest?
    Go grab something from ftp.heanet.ie and see what speeds you get.

Maybe its a Wexford thing?
    I'm in Sandyford and my connection is still fast, but the router lockout has me disappointed.

Downloaded the 11th file down on this page and i was getting speeds of 3.3mbps, ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/debian-cd/current-live/source/tar/

What speeds are you getting up there? I'm very disappointed to be honest.

Can i not get into the router settings?

Downloaded the 11th file down on this page and i was getting speeds of 3.3mbps, ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/debian-cd/current-live/source/tar/

What speeds are you getting up there? I'm very disappointed to be honest.

Can i not get into the router settings?

It looks like my line is down at the moment. I have a feeling they've blocked my router, since I wasn't using the one they supplied.

You can login to their router, but the user login they give you can do almost nothing. You can forward ports, but thats it.
    Can't even change the SSID or Passkey on the Wireless.

It looks like my line is down at the moment. I have a feeling they've blocked my router, since I wasn't using the one they supplied.

You can login to their router, but the user login they give you can do almost nothing. You can forward ports, but thats it.
    Can't even change the SSID or Passkey on the Wireless.

That's a bit shit.

Will it make any difference if i ring and complain, My wired connection is useless i don't mind the wireless being around 50mbps but my wired should be a lot more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

That's a bit shit.

Will it make any difference if i ring and complain, My wired connection is useless i don't mind the wireless being around 50mbps but my wired should be a lot more than that.

What is the username and password I seem to put it on and it asked me for a user name and password on a thompson webpage

• Advertisement

brijay wrote: »
    What is the username and password I seem to put it on and it asked me for a user name and password on a thompson webpage

Same as me i don't know what it is?

Same as me i don't know what it is?

How did you do a speedtest?

I've got it written down at home, but I think its user/mygateway

How did you do a speedtest?

speedtest.net

speedtest.net

No I mean like how did you connect to the internet does it not ask you for a username and password when you load a webpage

• Advertisement

No I mean like how did you connect to the internet does it not ask you for a username and password when you load a webpage

No sorry just went straight in.

Bit better now, Getting this over wireless, Although it does vary. May try wired again.

http://speedtest.net/result/1597619882.png

speeds im getting with wired http://speedtest.net/result/1599414198.png

speeds im getting with wired http://speedtest.net/result/1599414198.png

Around the same. Wonder will i ever break the 100mb barrier

1599431405.png

Around the same. Wonder will i ever break the 100mb barrier

1599431405.png

The guy told me the max with the cable is 100mb so I dont no

The guy told me the max with the cable is 100mb so I dont no

Yep, the LAN ports are only 100mbit/s. A bit silly really, but at least it means that 1 person downloading won't kill off everyone elses browsing...

Yep, the LAN ports are only 100mbit/s. A bit silly really, but at least it means that 1 person downloading won't kill off everyone elses browsing...

So the only way i could get the 150mbps is to buy a different router??

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭borygo77

I don't get it ! Did you got router from Magnet for 150Mbps with 100Mbps lan in it ? Then for what I bought Gbps router ? :/
    I think I will cancel my order from magnet....

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

The router also supports wireless n, so it'll give a bit more bandwidth on that.

It's stupid don't you think ? :/
    How is this fibre cable connected to modem/router ? Any chance to replace it ?
    Got Gbps router with wireless N standart but it will never get proper speed over radio ;/

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭weazlor

second ethernet card = €10
    Considering you can rarely be pulling 100mb from one single operation, might work well for you. Just route your browser through one line, and everything else through the other.

Problem solved. :)

(yeah yeah it's not perfect, but what is in this crazy world)

• Advertisement

You're right! Thats's crazy ;)
    What Magnet just dod'nt provide proper modem for their service ? :/

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

In response to some of the messages that you have been posted in relation to the speeds received on the new Magnet Fibre service in Wexford and Sandyford, we just wanted to try and explain how the service works and what it is designed to do.................

Your Magnet Fibre service is designed to support the full requirements of the modern connected home, which has multiple smart devices using the Internet connection. Each individual device that is being used in the home, e.g. Laptop, Tablet, PC, Smartphone, PlayStation, Xbox, etc can connect at speeds of 100Mbps through each wired connection or at 130Mbps using the wireless network. This download speed is the maximum that any individual device in your home can support whilst ensuring that even if you are downloading a movie at 100Mbps it won’t affect your ability to watch aertv or youtube or play online games on your Xbox!

*devils advocate hat*
    What if you want to watch youtube on the same pc as the one you're downloading from? :)
    Not to nitpick, but we dont all have a seperate pc to steam from.

In response to some of the messages that you have been posted in relation to the speeds received on the new Magnet Fibre service in Wexford and Sandyford, we just wanted to try and explain how the service works and what it is designed to do.................

Your Magnet Fibre service is designed to support the full requirements of the modern connected home, which has multiple smart devices using the Internet connection. Each individual device that is being used in the home, e.g. Laptop, Tablet, PC, Smartphone, PlayStation, Xbox, etc can connect at speeds of 100Mbps through each wired connection or at 130Mbps using the wireless network. This download speed is the maximum that any individual device in your home can support whilst ensuring that even if you are downloading a movie at 100Mbps it won’t affect your ability to watch aertv or youtube or play online games on your Xbox!

Your routers support 130mbps over wireless?

*warning: only capable in a vacumn enviroment at 0 degrees kelvin

weazlor wrote: »
    *devils advocate hat*
    What if you want to watch youtube on the same pc as the one you're downloading from? :)
    Not to nitpick, but we dont all have a seperate pc to steam from.
    Weazlor – Your PC will connect (using a wired connection) at 100Mbps which is going to limit the speed from that interface. If you have a second Ethernet card (or wireless connection) and you watch youtube over that 2nd connection you can utilise the full 150Mbps download.

All - We take on board the comments raised here and will ensure that we communicate the limit on a single device at the point of sale from now on. This is a fibre service that is only available to 10,000 homes however there will be 100,000 homes using VDSL by mid next year and we chose to use a single CPE to server both solutions knowing that there would be a 100Mbps limit for a single device; but 150Mbps limit for the home. In our trials to date we are seeing homes with 3 or more laptops plus iPhones, internet radios etc. These homes now experience no contention for the Internet connection.

Yep - we have a live customer at present getting in excess of 130Mb over wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

So magnet proivde a service of 150Mb but the Router thats supplied can only handle a max of 100Mb over Ethernet?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Weazlor – Your PC will connect (using a wired connection) at 100Mbps which is going to limit the speed from that interface. If you have a second Ethernet card (or wireless connection) and you watch youtube over that 2nd connection you can utilise the full 150Mbps download.

All - We take on board the comments raised here and will ensure that we communicate the limit on a single device at the point of sale from now on. This is a fibre service that is only available to 10,000 homes however there will be 100,000 homes using VDSL by mid next year and we chose to use a single CPE to server both solutions knowing that there would be a 100Mbps limit for a single device; but 150Mbps limit for the home. In our trials to date we are seeing homes with 3 or more laptops plus iPhones, internet radios etc. These homes now experience no contention for the Internet connection.

Surely it is not for Magnet to dictate how people wish to use their connection in their own home?

For instance, if nothing else is connected, a user would not be able to utilise the full speed of their connection for 1 particular use? (i.e downloading a large file etc).

Its a matter of principal really, not that many people would really need a 150mbit connection.

Therefore, for a single user household, the 150mbit is useless, and they should only order a 100mbit line (if that's even available??)

Just curious. It seems like an odd decision. (or a way to artificially exaggerate how good the service is with multiple users connected).

Considering you're selling a 150mbit service, why not supply a 300mbit capable wireless n router?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 n00bizme

Any chance of magnet coming to Drogheda? Right now the town is stuck with Eircon's supposed NGB, which is you can afford to buy is utter crap anyway. I know magnet has the resold Eircon 8MB package, but I'm asking if magnet is considering installing their own cabinets/equipment is existing cabinets in Drogheda.Wouldn't be a bad publicity stunt either, what with the ' A town fights back ' series on at the moment.

Advertisement