Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

bealtine wrote: »
    Currently there are about 60-70 exchanges unbundled out of a total of about 1200 or so exchanges. That's why magnet probably don't have equipment in your exchange

There are more than that man... that's a bit pesimistic.

If you sum up magnet, smart, bt you will probably be over 150-200.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Bohrio wrote: »
    There are more than that man... that's a bit pesimistic.

No Smart and Magnet are in about 40 and BT are in about 70 (maybe 80)...sorry to burst your bubble!
    It's also one of Ireland's secrets according to Comreg as it's "commercially sensitive" unlike the UK.

No Smart and Magnet are in about 40 and BT are in about 70 (maybe 80)...sorry to burst your bubble

BT has 61 LLU2 plus whatever is left of the of LLU1 (although this were put out of service a few months ago)

I am not sure of how many magnet or smart have but I still believe together are well over 100.

BT has 61 LLU2 plus whatever is left of the of LLU1 (although this were put out of service a few months ago)

I am not sure of how many magnet or smart have but I still believe together are well over 100.

Only if you count the exchanges double.Mostly all 3 providers are in exactly the same exchanges, so the total maybe 70 + 40 + 40...but as they are all the same exchanges the total is still only 70 or so.

Only if you count the exchanges double.Mostly all 3 providers are in exactly the same exchanges, so the total maybe 70 + 40 + 40...but as they are all the same exchanges the total is still only 70 or so.

As I said, I dont know where Magnet or Smart have such equipment so I cannot make such claim, you must be right then. If you know for certain then fair enough.

Still 2 years ago they were half...

• Advertisement

As I said, I dont know where Magnet or Smart have such equipment so I cannot make such claim, you must be right then. If you know for certain then fair enough.

Still 2 years ago they were half...

There's a list of current Magnet exchanges floating about on the net as they are the only ones that publish how many exchanges they have unbundled. The others treat it as a state secret but BT informed me it was approx 70 exchanges in total when asked directly (after much humming and hawing)

Just one thing though...

If you were an ISP and you had equipment to connect it to an exchange... will you go to one where already another ISP has their equipment or will you go to a new one where you know there is high demand but there is nobody else there?????

There's a list of current Magnet exchanges floating about on the net as they are the only ones that publish how many exchanges they have unbundled. The others treat it as a state secret but BT informed me it was approx 70 exchanges in total when asked directly (after much humming and hawing)

No no.. there are actually 60+1, available only 60... but that's what I have been told of course ;)

Anyway what would I know... rumours!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Got my ONT installed and the fibre cable ran by eircom last wednesday and i'm still waiting on my modem from magnet it's over a week now. When will i get it??

• Registered Users Posts: 13 n00bizme

Is there any hope of magnet fibre broadband in Drogheda? Drogheda has a Municipal Area Network, and is part of project kelvin, and most of the town is stuck with 8 MB resold eircom packages so it won't be hard to convince them to switch over.The only semi-decent package in terms of speed is eircom's NGB, which is too expensive for most people.

• Advertisement

n00bizme wrote: »
    Is there any hope of magnet fibre broadband in Drogheda? Drogheda has a Municipal Area Network, and is part of project kelvin, and most of the town is stuck with 8 MB resold eircom packages so it won't be hard to convince them to switch over.The only semi-decent package in terms of speed is eircom's NGB, which is too expensive for most people.

Not any time soon.
    The current rollout is a fibre to the cabinet/home so having a MAN is utterly irrelevant at this time.
    The only areas being done at this time are Sandyford/Priory and some parts of Wexford town, maybe some time in the distant future other towns areas may get done.
    A major fibre rollout FTTx is in the best interests of the country but there's no money in eircom to invest in it.

baraca wrote: »
    Got my ONT installed and the fibre cable ran by eircom last wednesday and i'm still waiting on my modem from magnet it's over a week now. When will i get it??

Didn't come today either. Man on the phone last thursday told me it would definitely be here this week as that's when your sending them out, Which was also a lie as someone else on this forum got theirs last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

baraca wrote: »
    Didn't come today either. Man on the phone last thursday told me it would definitely be here this week as that's when your sending them out, Which was also a lie as someone else on this forum got theirs last week.

I know same hopefully it arrives on Monday!!

brijay wrote: »
    I know same hopefully it arrives on Monday!!

I hate waiting! :pac:

Still hasn't arrived, 2 weeks now. Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 theangrypotato

Anyone have any problems with WiFi between the Magnet supplied Zyxel P-660HN-T1A gateway and apple iphone 3GS/4 & ipod touch?

For some reason my apple devices only connect for a few minutes at a time and then the connection seems to drop. Only workaround I've noticed so far is to disable and re-enable the wireless on them.

I have 2 laptps that maintain the WiFi connection no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭weazlor

Sounds like an apple issue (one of many)

Recommend starting here for a primer before ringing magnet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BraveSirAndrew

Hello magnet heads

Ordered the 150meg broadband a month ago. I had read that it can take up to 3 to 4 weeks before they can get out to you, so thought everything was fine. Rang up on Tuesday and was told that the order was still pending i.e. nothing has been done with it. Was promised a callback to explain, but I'm still waiting on that too. I'm tempted to back out of the whole thing now, given the way this is going. Anyone know if I'm already locked into a contract, even though they haven't started providing the service yet?

Cheers

Hello magnet heads

Ordered the 150meg broadband a month ago. I had read that it can take up to 3 to 4 weeks before they can get out to you, so thought everything was fine. Rang up on Tuesday and was told that the order was still pending i.e. nothing has been done with it. Was promised a callback to explain, but I'm still waiting on that too. I'm tempted to back out of the whole thing now, given the way this is going. Anyone know if I'm already locked into a contract, even though they haven't started providing the service yet?

Cheers

Same as myself waiting nearly 3 weeks for my modem now, Won't give me a call back either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 n00bizme

Can I just ask about magnets 100MB fibre broadband, is it being rolled out only to new estates that are cheaper to cable up, or is magnet picking out estates based on costs, building/upgrading exhanges and other things? Also, is magnets fibre planned to roll out to more counties?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

A friend got Maget broadband installed recently and it is very slow with the wireless connection. I had a look and they have a device for their Wireless which is an access point. I connected directly to it but unable to access the device to check and change the settings. The default gateway on back says it is a 192.. ... . . but when connected direct it comes back as 87 address. I have tried turning it off/on a few times but it is still the same.

Anyone any ideas? I was going to connect up a Netgear N150 and turn off DHCP to test it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Vanbis wrote: »
    A friend got Maget broadband installed recently and it is very slow with the wireless connection. I had a look and they have a device for their Wireless which is an access point. I connected directly to it but unable to access the device to check and change the settings. The default gateway on back says it is a 192.. ... . . but when connected direct it comes back as 87 address. I have tried turning it off/on a few times but it is still the same.

Anyone any ideas? I was going to connect up a Netgear N150 and turn off DHCP to test it.
    Try http://192.168.1.1:7080

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

as said above, 192.168.1.1:7080 the 87 address you are seeing is your external ip address.

Botulism wrote: »
    phill106 wrote: »
    as said above, 192.168.1.1:7080 the 87 address you are seeing is your external ip address.

I checked the wireless access point and it only had down 192.168.1.1

No mention of :7080.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Noxdormus

Hello everyone,

I get a problem with my magnet modem , by mistake I reset my modem yesterday and now everyone can use my connection cause there is not anymore a password, I can't setup a new password cause I can't access to the modem for setup a new one

What could I do ?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Does anyone have experience of the Magnet ADSL2 broadband service in Dublin 2?

Am thinking of changing to them for my office connection.

phill106 wrote: »

I can't believe i am asking this because i should know.

I connected direct to the wireless access point. No default gateway showing up.

I removed this and connected up a Netgear wireless N and disabled DHCP and nothing. It connects to the device not no connection to the net.

Anyone any ideas?

I can't believe i am asking this because i should know.

I connected direct to the wireless access point. No default gateway showing up.

I removed this and connected up a Netgear wireless N and disabled DHCP and nothing. It connects to the device not no connection to the net.

Anyone any ideas?

What a waste of time. The 2 wire router Magnet provide is only accessible remotely by them. They have it all disabled because they don't want any third party hardware involved in their network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Grahamester

What speed would be on offer in the naas road area(Dublin 12)?

• Advertisement

Got the modem for the 150mb service in wexford today and it's very slow, Wireless i'm getting between 35-45mbps and wired i'm only getting around 50mbps. Anyone know what could be wrong?

I'm not paying €65 a month for this.

1597243866.png

Advertisement