Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Kurosaki_ wrote: »
    Hi Rory, We have been having horrible connection issues in the last 2~ weeks, the download speeds have been fine but we can't play any online games without getting huge lag and pings. Do you know if there is an issue with the exchange? My friend who lives in this area is also having bad Internet issues (he is with Magnet too) - we are located in Blackpool, Cork. I have tried contacting you guys via phone and e-mail but I feel like nothing is being done at all. Thanks.

Can you PM me on the matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Kurosaki_

Can you PM me on the matter?

Done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

A quick question for Rory when you get a chance.

Is, and if so, what speed is Magnet available in Glounthaune in Cork ? I dont have a landline, (obviously I have the physical wiring, I just dont have an eircom account) so I cant check using the online availability form.

I did use 3 neighbours numbers and it said the "swift package" was available on our street. I`m interested in subscribing due to Magnet not following Eircoms ridiculous "3 strikes policy" and being reasonable with the FUP, going by what`s being said in this thread. Feel free to PM me or answer here either.

Cheers mate,
    Will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Advertkriz

Hi Rory,im interested in getting broadband in the house,im already with eircom 3mb(absolute rubbish).If its ok i will send you my phone number in pm to see what sort of speeds i can get ect.. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 hugh1097

Hey Rory,

What brand and model is the free WiFi router that comes with the 'Force 24' broadband package?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Zseek

Kurosaki_ wrote: »
    Hi Rory, We have been having horrible connection issues in the last 2~ weeks, the download speeds have been fine but we can't play any online games without getting huge lag and pings. Do you know if there is an issue with the exchange? My friend who lives in this area is also having bad Internet issues (he is with Magnet too) - we are located in Blackpool, Cork. I have tried contacting you guys via phone and e-mail but I feel like nothing is being done at all. Thanks.

Just chiming in with similar issues, have had them most noticably in the last 7 days or so. I get dropped from Starcraft 2 games, otherwise very sluggish gameplay (lagspikes mainly). Even using the internet sometimes drops me with website time-outs for perfectly fine working websites 5 seconds later on retrying.

Download speeds have dropped to about 10% of what they used to be (between 200-400 kb/sec for the 8 mbit package, I've been on 20/40 kb/sec speeds mainly while downloading recently). Admittedly I'm sharing the line with 2 other people, but several of my co-workers living in the same area (we're quite the local crowd) have reported the same issues.

I do suspect an issue with the exchange as the above poster. The connection is in my housemate's name and I'd be happy to look these details up or PM them if further feedback is needed, otherwise an update from anyone involved would be grand :).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have been having a lot of timeouts in the last couple of weeks.
    It is very frustrating.
    Magnet has been pretty good up to this point.

A quick question for Rory when you get a chance.

Is, and if so, what speed is Magnet available in Glounthaune in Cork ? I dont have a landline, (obviously I have the physical wiring, I just dont have an eircom account) so I cant check using the online availability form.

I did use 3 neighbours numbers and it said the "swift package" was available on our street. I`m interested in subscribing due to Magnet not following Eircoms ridiculous "3 strikes policy" and being reasonable with the FUP, going by what`s being said in this thread. Feel free to PM me or answer here either.

Cheers mate,
    Will.

I can check your availablilty but you do need a landline. Send me a PM and I can look into the coverage in your area.

Advertkriz wrote: »
    Hi Rory,im interested in getting broadband in the house,im already with eircom 3mb(absolute rubbish).If its ok i will send you my phone number in pm to see what sort of speeds i can get ect.. Cheers

Great stuff. PM away.

hugh1097 wrote: »
    Hey Rory,

What brand and model is the free WiFi router that comes with the 'Force 24' broadband package?

Cheers.

Its a Telsey wireless.

• Advertisement

Mediator wrote: »
    1. They don't offer "always on" Internet. They offer "on whenever we could be bothered" Internet.
    2. Broadband? Smoke signals has equal, if not higher, bandwidth.
    3. I've had faster ping response from computers that are turned off.
    4. Given their representatives cavalier relationship with the truth, I wager all of them have worked in marketing at one time or another.

I'd be more than happy to go into detail about my relationship with this fraudster of a "broadband" provider for those that hate their money sufficiently to consider this joke of a company.

This seems to have come out of left field and seems a lot more personal than is really acceptable.

If you are indeed still a customer you can PM me and I can look into your issues. It must be noted that your points on our service are not true, in saying this I am more than willing to help you should you need assistance.

Zseek wrote: »
    Just chiming in with similar issues, have had them most noticably in the last 7 days or so. I get dropped from Starcraft 2 games, otherwise very sluggish gameplay (lagspikes mainly). Even using the internet sometimes drops me with website time-outs for perfectly fine working websites 5 seconds later on retrying.

Download speeds have dropped to about 10% of what they used to be (between 200-400 kb/sec for the 8 mbit package, I've been on 20/40 kb/sec speeds mainly while downloading recently). Admittedly I'm sharing the line with 2 other people, but several of my co-workers living in the same area (we're quite the local crowd) have reported the same issues.

I do suspect an issue with the exchange as the above poster. The connection is in my housemate's name and I'd be happy to look these details up or PM them if further feedback is needed, otherwise an update from anyone involved would be grand :).

Can you PM me on this.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I have been having a lot of timeouts in the last couple of weeks.
    It is very frustrating.
    Magnet has been pretty good up to this point.

Can you PM me on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 izt_is

Hi Rory, i could use your help here. Im a new customer who has just signed on with Magnet 24mbps plan. (Hope i made the right choice!!)

Here are my questions i need answering as soon as possible:

1) I would like to know if this would be sent to my house via fiber or ADSL2+ or cable?

2)Will I be able to use my own ADSL2+ Modem and Router or will i have to strictly stick with the WiFi router that you provided? I have a wireless N router and ADSL2+ modem that I really want to use!

Hope to hear from you as soon as possible Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jimmy9999

Hi Rory,
    I have Magnet Entertainment Platinium with extra room viewing for nearly 1 year.

Can I upgrade it to Ultimate 25 for free and get the TV boxes changed? The Amino box in the second room is no use at all as it has a huge lag.

Thanks in advance,

jimmy

jimmy9999 wrote: »
    Hi Rory,
    I have Magnet Entertainment Platinium with extra room viewing for nearly 1 year.

Can I upgrade it to Ultimate 25 for free and get the TV boxes changed? The Amino box in the second room is no use at all as it has a huge lag.

Thanks in advance,

jimmy

This all depends on the boxes you have currently. PM me if you like and I can call you.

izt_is wrote: »
    Hi Rory, i could use your help here. Im a new customer who has just signed on with Magnet 24mbps plan. (Hope i made the right choice!!)

Here are my questions i need answering as soon as possible:

1) I would like to know if this would be sent to my house via fiber or ADSL2+ or cable?

2)Will I be able to use my own ADSL2+ Modem and Router or will i have to strictly stick with the WiFi router that you provided? I have a wireless N router and ADSL2+ modem that I really want to use!

Hope to hear from you as soon as possible Thanks!

I think I have answered your q in another forum, give me a shout if you need more help.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056015119&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=digestthread

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Our net has been down for the last 1.5 hours in Kilmainham.

Connecting to the router fine, but not getting any IPs. Is DHCP done remotely?????

Have magnet started providing different modem/routers other than the telsey one?
    The only documentation I could find online for the thing was in Russian!

The one provided seems like a flakey piece of crap.

dregin wrote: »
    Our net has been down for the last 1.5 hours in Kilmainham.

Connecting to the router fine, but not getting any IPs. Is DHCP done remotely?????

Have magnet started providing different modem/routers other than the telsey one?
    The only documentation I could find online for the thing was in Russian!

The one provided seems like a flakey piece of crap.

The telsey does usually work well for most customers but if you PM me I can look into the issue fo you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Right. It's gone again.

Seriously, this is a joke.

We're paying close ~€55/month for a 24Mb line that rarely gets close to 8Mb.

Rip off.

• Advertisement

Right. It's gone again.

Rip off.

Can I look into this for you? Can you PM me?

Right. It's gone again.

Rip off.

To be honest this sounds like a problem with your tuning profile. If you PM me I can help you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

How long is the "Magnet Force 24" special offer set to continue? On the website it states that it should have expired on the "31st of August" but it is past that now . . .

Is the offer being extended?

How long is the "Magnet Force 24" special offer set to continue? On the website it states that it should have expired on the "31st of August" but it is past that now . . .

Is the offer being extended?

It will continue till the end of September at least. It also remains at 54.99 for the duration of your time with Magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Huffalump

Does anyone have any idea of the specs of the Telsey router that Magnet provide?

I'd like to get the apple TV thingummy but it says that you need a wireless network that runs 802.11g or 802.11n.

I phoned Magnet support and they hadn't a clue. All I know is that the router they provided me with is black, has two aerials and looks as though it was made somewhere in Eastern Europe (so I'm not terribly hopeful)

Huffalump wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea of the specs of the Telsey router that Magnet provide?

I'd like to get the apple TV thingummy but it says that you need a wireless network that runs 802.11g or 802.11n.

I phoned Magnet support and they hadn't a clue. All I know is that the router they provided me with is black, has two aerials and looks as though it was made somewhere in Eastern Europe (so I'm not terribly hopeful)

Its a router in bridge mode and operates on wireless G.

What specs are you looking for? I know its not a stylish piece of equipment but it does the job.

Its a router in bridge mode and operates on wireless G.

What specs are you looking for? I know its not a stylish piece of equipment but it does the job.

All I really needed was to find out if it worked on wireless g or n (i.e. not b). That means, I think, it should work fine with Apple TV. Which is good news. Many thanks for the prompt response.

Out of interest, what does "bridge mode" mean?

All I really needed was to find out if it worked on wireless g or n (i.e. not b). That means, I think, it should work fine with Apple TV. Which is good news.

Out of interest, what does "bridge mode" mean?

The router houses the config details for the voip services and as such the telsey config details are unalterable (you need to call CS if you wish to change details on the telsey) it is a bridge to the Magnet network

The router houses the config details for the voip services and as such the telsey config details are unalterable (you need to call CS if you wish to change details on the telsey) it is a bridge to the Magnet network

Ok. I think I understand all of that. Thanks again.

D' you think it's likely I'll need to change config details if I wanted to use my home network to stream media, wirelessly, from my iMac to my telly (via Apple TV)

• Advertisement

Ok. I think I understand all of that. Thanks again.

D' you think it's likely I'll need to change config details if I wanted to use my home network to stream media, wirelessly, from my iMac to my telly (via Apple TV)

I dont believe so but the best thing to do is try it first then give us a shout if there is a difficulty.

We dont block ports so I cant see why there would be a difficulty.

Advertisement