Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I got a text message today from "ServiceProv" reminding me to be in my apartment tomorrow morning, I am assuming this is from Magnet?

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

I got a text message today from "ServiceProv" reminding me to be in my apartment tomorrow morning, I am assuming this is from Magnet?

No, this is from eircom. If the install tomorrow doesnt suit please PM me.

We order the line, eircom install it, then we take it over, in that order.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

No, this is from eircom. If the install tomorrow doesnt suit please PM me.

We order the line, eircom install it, then we take it over, in that order.

Ah, thought as much . . . quicker than I expected. :)

Ill be out of the apartment myself for an hour in the morning - but I assume as long as someone is there to let Eircom in all should be OK? I can give a second contact number if needs be.

Ah, thought as much . . . quicker than I expected. :)

Ill be out of the apartment myself for an hour in the morning - but I assume as long as someone is there to let Eircom in all should be OK? I can give a second contact number if needs be.

As long as someone is there its not a problem. Just make sure you take the call from eircom.

Missing the appointment may cause you to go to the back of the queue so it really is important that you take the call.

We can't change the phone number at this stage as eircom have the order in process.

No problem, thanks Rory. :)

• Advertisement

No problem, thanks Rory. :)

Happy to help. PM me if you have anymore updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 stacey_girl

I signed up with Magnet almost 1 year ago, and while I had nothing but problems at the start (ended up being due to Eircom and not Magnet), I can honestly say, that they are one hell of a company to deal with.

They are nothing short of fantastic, they used to have to worst customer support and service, but now, I have to say they have improved so much, in fact I would easily say, they have the best support and customer service I have experienced in this country!!

Only last week, I was having problems with my xbox 360 disconnecting from live every few minutes, I rang Magnet and wow, not only did they sort it all out for me, they also rang me back a couple of times to make sure that all was going well with it.

If you are looking for an isp, then look no further than Magnet, I have already got my dad and both my brothers to sign up with them rather than Eircom.

Thanks Rory for a job well done, and sorry for all the hastle I gave you at the start.

I signed up with Magnet almost 1 year ago, and while I had nothing but problems at the start (ended up being due to Eircom and not Magnet), I can honestly say, that they are one hell of a company to deal with.

They are nothing short of fantastic, they used to have to worst customer support and service, but now, I have to say they have improved so much, in fact I would easily say, they have the best support and customer service I have experienced in this country!!

Only last week, I was having problems with my xbox 360 disconnecting from live every few minutes, I rang Magnet and wow, not only did they sort it all out for me, they also rang me back a couple of times to make sure that all was going well with it.

If you are looking for an isp, then look no further than Magnet, I have already got my dad and both my brothers to sign up with them rather than Eircom.

Thanks Rory for a job well done, and sorry for all the hastle I gave you at the start.

Thanks so much for the kind words, don't worry about asking for help on this site, after all thats what we're here for.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 colinryan

colinryan wrote: »
    Hi,

Just signed up for 24Mb. I got my router on Monday and am only getting 7.5 to 8mb! Exactly what I had before with Eircom.

I have isolated (disconnected) all the telephone wiring in the house so that the router is connected directly to the point where Eircom POTN wiring enters the house and still no better.

Can any one shed any light/similar experiences?

Also does anyone know why the second A2D phone port is not working on the router - is this standard configuration?

I have a call logged with Magnet tech support two days ago (who said someone would call be back with a resolution (line tuning) in 24 hours - no call so far. I'm guessing it will be next week now. I have to say I am dissappointed as I had heard good things about the support.

Rory if you are on here I would appreciate if you can look into this for me?

C.

Just by way of update...

I rang again yesterday morning (before your PM thanks Rory) and was told I would be called back within 24 hours. I have still not received any calls from Magnet (other than your PM Rory) since raising a support case 1 WEEK ago. Incidently the person I spoke to yesterday told me nothing had been done on my case since last week.

Rory your efforts are to be commended in terms of working outside of the normal support processes but the 'normal' customer support process in Magnet is a concern - not to mention that I am only getting an average 7Mb download (6.3 last night) for a 24Mb advertised package. If this were an outage it could be impacting me financially.

colinryan wrote: »
    Just by way of update...

I rang again yesterday morning (before your PM thanks Rory) and was told I would be called back within 24 hours. I have still not received any calls from Magnet (other than your PM Rory) since raising a support case 1 WEEK ago. Incidently the person I spoke to yesterday told me nothing had been done on my case since last week.

Rory your efforts are to be commended in terms of working outside of the normal support processes but the 'normal' customer support process in Magnet is a concern - not to mention that I am only getting an average 7Mb download (6.3 last night) for a 24Mb advertised package. If this were an outage it could be impacting me financially.

I can only apologise for the slowness of response here. It looks like your line is incapable of hitting the top speeds. Expect a call very shortly and if no contact is made I will PM you my own personal contact details.

This customer has been called and a request for a submission of a fault case has been placed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 yolloms

Hi Magney (Rory),

I have recently got my Telsey modem. Got the email from Magnet to say my services should be activated and to plug in my modem as shown by the guide in the welcome pack.

I did not receive a setup guide in my pack only a user guide about the modem that details each light and port but not how to set up the modem.

I however plugged in the modem, like the engineer (who patched in my line) told me.
    I should be seeing the link light flash then go solid however it doesnt even come on.
    Can you help?

yolloms wrote: »
    Hi Magney (Rory),

I have recently got my Telsey modem. Got the email from "" to say my services should be activated and to plug in my modem as shown by the guide in the welcome pack.

I did not receive a setup guide in my pack only a user guide about the modem that details each light and port but not how to set up the modem.

I however plugged in the modem, like the engineer (who patched in my line) told me.
    I should be seeing the link light flash then go solid however it doesnt even come on.
    Can you help?

We can but if its at all possible could you delete the name mentioned. While there is nothing untoward about the mentioning of the name it would be unfair to mention specific individuals.

PM me your details and we can look into the circumstances.

We can but if its at all possible could you delete the name mentioned. While there is nothing untoward about the mentioning of the name it would be unfair to mention specific individuals.

PM me your details and we can look into the circumstances.

Post updated.
    Received call from Magnet, engineer is being scheduled to look at wiring.

Thanks Rory

Post updated.
    Received call from Magnet, engineer is being scheduled to look at wiring.

Thanks Rory

No problem, keep me informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Just wondering whether magnet broadband is available in Wexford?

kevovek wrote: »
    Just curios as to whether magnet broadband is available in Wexford?

We could offer you the up to 8.1Mb service, can you PM me your details and I can check.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I'm sure their connection is good, now if only I could actually use it.
    They sent me the modem last week, I still haven't been able to use it since there are absolutely NO instructions with it, only a page with some data like adresses etc, which by the way also says that wireless is turned off.
    It's obviously a wireless modem, is this a standard settign which can easily be changed ?

I wouldn't even mind paying for a technician coming by and taking a look, but I have sent 2 emails so far (Since I work later than the customer support opening and closing hours calling them is out of the question, and fixing it from work is impossible for me) and no response.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I'm sure their connection is good, now if only I could actually use it.
    They sent me the modem last week, I still haven't been able to use it since there are absolutely NO instructions with it, only a page with some data like adresses etc, which by the way also says that wireless is turned off.
    It's obviously a wireless modem, is this a standard settign which can easily be changed ?

I wouldn't even mind paying for a technician coming by and taking a look, but I have sent 2 emails so far (Since I work later than the customer support opening and closing hours calling them is out of the question, and fixing it from work is impossible for me) and no response.

Can you PM me on this? Perhaps I can push on the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Can you PM me on this? Perhaps I can push on the case.

Sure, thanks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Slaughterhouse

HI
    Quick question for all you Magnet TV users. I missing about 3 inchs on wither side of my TV with Magnet. When there is a Subtitle movie on i'm missing words on both sides and also with Sky sports news i'm Missing the league tables and the scores on soccer saturday.

i have rang magnet and they said to turn on and off the system (what a suprise from an IT fella) which i have done to no Avail.

ALSO NB i have checked the setting on my Samsung 32" HDTV and it is set to Widescreen. When i play DVD's it fine just the Magnet signal there are sending seems to be the Problem

your Help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 willynt

Hi,
    For a few days, my magnet connection is terrible.
    My modem (zyxel, provided in my swift package) disconnects many times every day, and doesn't reconnect by itself. I have to reset it manually.
    I sent many emails to magnet support, but never got any reply...:(
    I'm posting from my mobile right now, cos my magnet connection is down.
    I would appreciate if a magnet guy could pm me...

Cheers
    William

willynt wrote: »
    Hi,
    For a few days, my magnet connection is terrible.
    My modem (zyxel, provided in my swift package) disconnects many times every day, and doesn't reconnect by itself. I have to reset it manually.
    I sent many emails to magnet support, but never got any reply...:(
    I'm posting from my mobile right now, cos my magnet connection is down.
    I would appreciate if a magnet guy could pm me...

Cheers
    William

If you can PM me your name/address/account number we can look into the details.

No problem, keep me informed.

Engineer out this morning. When the last engineer was out, it was such a tight working space that he accidently paired the wires to much n one snapped.

Working now.

Is there a way to put a Password on the wifi - noneof the usually ip's work to gain access to the telsey router/modem.

I've tried....192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1, 192.168.0.1, 87.168.1.*
    Or do I have to turn of the wifi on the telsey and use my old wireless router (which I can PW protect)

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Engineer out this morning. When the last engineer was out, it was such a tight working space that he accidently paired the wires to much n one snapped.

Working now.

Is there a way to put a Password on the wifi - noneof the usually ip's work to gain access to the telsey router/modem.

I've tried....192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1, 192.168.0.1, 87.168.1.*
    Or do I have to turn of the wifi on the telsey and use my old wireless router (which I can PW protect)

Thanks
    You can't access the router at all, you have to call Magnet to have them change the Wifi password.

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    You can't access the router at all, you have to call Magnet to have them change the Wifi password.

Thats nothing but a hassle and a waste of everyones time.

Thanks Jahuty42

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭chrabo

hi

Do u have any plans to have FTH or own DSL in Dundalk co.louth next year??

Thats nothing but a hassle and a waste of everyones time.

Thanks Jahuty42

Its a router in bridge mode. It has to be managed by CS as it holds the config details for the voice service. If you need extra help just pop me a PM.

chrabo wrote: »
    hi

Do u have any plans to have FTH or own DSL in Dundalk co.louth next year??

At the moment no, we will be informing all customers should there be any changes in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

A couple of weeks ago I ordered Magnet 24mb Broadband for our house in Galway city. I believe I was actually speaking to Rory placing the original order.

Anyway, the DSL box arrived last week and we received an e-mail to say our phoneline had been activated. We tested the box that evening but were unable to connect. To troubleshoot the problem, we purchased a phone to check for a dial-tone. There was none. We then checked the internal wiring in the house for any problems. Everything appears okay here, the problem appears to be external.

On Friday we called Eircom, as we suspected this would be a line problem and assumed Eircom would be in charge of maintaining the network. They instructed us to call Magnet, who in turn, logged a fault with Eircom. Today, I received a call-back from a Magnet representative who said they would have to send out an Engineer to fix the problem at a cost of €99 to us.

To be honest, I do not feel the above charge is justified as it pertains to the basic provision of the service which we signed up for. Therefore, is it not covered under line maintenance which part of the monthly cost of the service is attributed to? I'm not sure whether this is the responsibility of Magnet or Eircom but, as I had understood, broadband was available to our residence and would be provided to us within a reasonable timeframe with any work covered by the installation cost (specifically line activation and maintenance). I'll gladly provide any additional details as I'm looking to get this issue resolved asap.

• Advertisement

friendface wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago I ordered Magnet 24mb Broadband for our house in Galway city. I believe I was actually speaking to Rory placing the original order.

Anyway, the DSL box arrived last week and we received an e-mail to say our phoneline had been activated. We tested the box that evening but were unable to connect. To troubleshoot the problem, we purchased a phone to check for a dial-tone. There was none. We then checked the internal wiring in the house for any problems. Everything appears okay here, the problem appears to be external.

On Friday we called Eircom, as we suspected this would be a line problem and assumed Eircom would be in charge of maintaining the network. They instructed us to call Magnet, who in turn, logged a fault with Eircom. Today, I received a call-back from a Magnet representative who said they would have to send out an Engineer to fix the problem at a cost of €99 to us.

To be honest, I do not feel the above charge is justified as it pertains to the basic provision of the service which we signed up for. Therefore, is it not covered under line maintenance which part of the monthly cost of the service is attributed to? I'm not sure whether this is the responsibility of Magnet or Eircom but, as I had understood, broadband was available to our residence and would be provided to us within a reasonable timeframe with any work covered by the installation cost (specifically line activation and maintenance). I'll gladly provide any additional details as I'm looking to get this issue resolved asap.

Can you PM me your details and I can look into the case.

Advertisement