Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 yuenzhi

Hi, is there a way to restore the magnet router to it's default settings ?

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

yuenzhi wrote: »
    Hi, is there a way to restore the magnet router to it's default settings ?

Restoring it to its default or factory settings would render it unable to act as a bridge to our network and it would wipe the VOIP settings.

Perhaps if you PM me exactly what it is you're looking to do I could help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Restoring it to its default or factory settings would render it unable to act as a bridge to our network and it would wipe the VOIP settings.

Out of interest, does pressing the Reset button on the back have this effect?

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    Out of interest, does pressing the Reset button on the back have this effect?

I believe so. Do you need more help on this?

I won't know if it had any effect until my line is connected. Though the router might have been a dud, out of the box the SSID doesn't match what it should be(it doesn't contain the serial number, it's just "Magnet-1") and it's unsecured instead of WPA.

• Advertisement

I won't know if it had any effect until my line is connected. Though the router might have been a dud, out of the box the SSID doesn't match what it should be(it doesn't contain the serial number, it's just "Magnet-1") and it's unsecured instead of WPA.

Give me a shout if you have difficulty once your service is connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

My parents have been trying to get set up with a broadband service for years now to no avail. They can't get Eircom's or any other fixed line service as they're living in a remote (not even that remote - many of their neighbours can get it!)

Hello Choronzonix, if your parents can see any neighbour's house that has broadband then, with the help of that friendly neighbour and some high-spec wireless gear, they could connect wirelessly to the other house and share their broadband. Distance is not an issue for the wireless link - just clear line of sight.

Give me a shout if you have difficulty once your service is connected.
    Thanks, if the settings are lost can this be rectified remotely or does a new router have to be dispatched? Surely on restart the Telsey can pull settings from your servers, as I believe other provider's hardware does?

Thanks, if the settings are lost can this be rectified remotely or does a new router have to be dispatched? Surely on restart the Telsey can pull settings from your servers, as I believe other provider's hardware does?

It can be done remotely so no need to worry.

Am I also right in thinking that the router won't have the right settings on it and can't be expected to work until it can establish a link to the outside world?

At the minute it won't assign IP addresses to any device connected to it(DHCP not working) via Wifi or Ethernet, I assume that this is because of not being connected to a WAN?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Hi Rory,

I seem to have the same issue as friendlyface.
    We hooked up the modem yesterday and it seems it is unable to receive a DSL connection.

We contacted Eircom and they informed us that this is Magnet's concern (As they do not provide support for just telephone lines :rolleyes:).

I've sent you the details ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mcdavey

I've been very happy with the Magnet broadband service since joining last spring. There were some teething problems getting everything going, but it's been pretty good.

The voice service has been a different story. It is continually quite choppy, making voices sound like daleks from time to time. I've been on to customer support several times and received various conflicting stories. The most intriguing was that my modem had apparently been used previously and had a non-VoIP-friendly config on it (by which I'm guessing it means VoIP wasn't prioritised?) that they said they'd then fix.

I have never been able to use the Gas/ESB dial-a-read service, for example. The automated systems never understand the numbers I send by tones.

I'd like to get to the bottom of this. Nice as the broadband is, I will leave if the voice doesn't improve.

Details sent to Rory via PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nottooxabi

after 3 weeks and still waiting for issue to be resolved..never received call from support regarding issue even after it was escalated by their guy on boards... really appauling... (Thanks for trying at least Rory)

for 55 euro a month i'm outta gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 hugh1097

Why am I paying for 24Mb broadband and only getting 10Mb? With UPC 15Mb I was getting 13Mb, which is a lot less than half the advertised speed? How can this be legal at all? On the website there is a star beside the 25Mb broadband icon with no explanation to be found anywhere on that page!

Can I pay half the money for half the speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I just left Magnet after being with them for 1.5 years and have nothing but good things to say about them.

When I signed up, they warned me that my area (Killiney/Glenageary, Dublin) wasn't fully supported and that the 10Mb package would provide just a 7.6Mb speed, which it did. Pings to European game servers were usually 80-90 ms (down to 50-60 with registry tweak) and download speeds were always above 600k when maxed out with a download manager.

The only times I had connection issues were when I first joined (I was using the wrong bloody DSL filter), during an Eircom outage back in July and whenever my router caved in. Aside from these incidents, my connection over the course of 1.5 years was flawless.

The only bad things I can say about them is that the Zyxel router provided crashed frequently and that combined with line rental, it cost a lot. They were even extra helpful when I was canceling the service. The only reason I am not with them any more is because I have moved to an NTL area and am saving money with their combined package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭net4hack

I have a magnet connection at home. At the beginning of this thread I could see the address http://192.168.1.254. Isnt it for the eircom? I tried it and was getting the error message "The connection was reset". I have a PacketFront CPS218C (is this a switch or router?) to which magnet connection comes in. Any way to access its interface via a browser?

Also I am looking for a Wireless N Router to share a USB printer (Dell All in One 962) and a NAS drive (2TB LaCie Network Space 2 Ethernet+Hi-Speed USB). Could someone suggest a good N wireless router suited best for "Magnet Broadband and its unique features" and also able to connect the USB printer and NAS drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

nottooxabi wrote: »
    after 3 weeks and still waiting for issue to be resolved..never received call from support regarding issue even after it was escalated by their guy on boards... really appauling... (Thanks for trying at least Rory)

for 55 euro a month i'm outta gone!

Also still waiting to be connected to broadband. Signed up over 3 weeks ago and are still waiting for the problem with our phoneline to be rectified. Since we are paying 99 euro extra to have an engineer come out to have a look at the line, I would have expected him to arrive without delay. The problem was reported over a week ago and we still haven't even got a date for a call-out. Apologies for the rant but I had enough trouble with UPC customer support when I was with them and I was hoping Magnet would be better. Thanks for raising the issue with the tech support guys Rory. I believe they attached urgent status to the repair request. I would just like to have a timeframe for when we can expect to have our broadband set up.

Line was connected today, a whole 1 day ahead of the deadline(eircom really outdoing themselves there:rolleyes:) Router worked normally despite having pressed the reset button. Getting a public IP for every device on the LAN is pretty cool. Speed/ping etc as expected, more or less. Thanks to Rory for his help.

Just caught up to quite a few cases this morning. If anyone is still awaiting a response or have not been told when they will get a callback please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

Rory,

I am moving to a new place on Killiney Hill next week and am wondering if the 7.6MB swift broadband is still the only one available in the area as per a previous post in this thread? It was posted back in '09 so has there been any updates since?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Rory,

I am moving to a new place on Killiney Hill next week and am wondering if the 7.6MB swift broadband is still the only one available in the area as per a previous post in this thread? It was posted back in '09 so has there been any updates since?

Thanks

We have not upgraded that area. The swift pack is available now at 8.1Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Raptor12

Roundwood and Killiney are both areas where we offer the up to 7.6Mb service (swift). There is no ADSL2+ equipment in either.

The price is €40

-Up to 7.6Mb Down (exchange dependant)
    -Up to 672Kb up (exchange dependant)
    -Unlimited down and up (fair usage)
    -Doesn't include line rental
    -12:1 contention (exchange dependant)
    -There is no install charge, so as long as the eircom line is in situ we just send you out the router.

Have you anymore questions? (free line rental refers to fiber areas)

Hi! Rory

I did a line check on magnet website and it came back with been compatible with the swift service
    Are there any plans for the "Force" product line for Ennis
    Also would I have to use the supplied router from magnet or can I use my existing router

Raptor12

Raptor12 wrote: »
    Hi! Rory

I did a line check on magnet website and it came back with been compatible with the swift service
    Are there any plans for the "Force" product line for Ennis
    Also would I have to use the supplied router from magnet or can I use my existing router

Raptor12

We dont have the equipment in Ennis however we could offer the swift pack.

In any case customers can use their own router but the question is whether or not it will work with the Magnet system. We cannot offer help on these 3rd party routers as none of our staff have been trained on them.

are there any plans to upgrade Ennis in the future

IF I were to change to magnet, would there be any disruption to my current service during the change over

regarding using my own router, would the settings be made available if required

Raptor12

Raptor12 wrote: »
    are there any plans to upgrade Ennis in the future

IF I were to change to magnet, would there be any disruption to my current service during the change over

regarding using my own router, would the settings be made available if required

Raptor12

There would be little or no disruption to the service as the migration does not require any significant physical work.

We are quite happy to provide customers with settings in order that they can use their own equipment, however, it should be noted that if 3rd party equipment is used that Magnet will not be able to support this equipment in the event of a fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Just signed up for the 5mb service. Roughly how long should it take for the service to be installed ? Oh and it said Free Installation*** Couldnt find the small print for the disclaimer on this? Anyone know what it is?

thanks for all the above info,

final question - waiting for answer to question on when Ennis will be upgraded to use your network and get faster speeds

Raptor12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kaisersosa

I am currently with vodafone and find their broadband service next to useless, I enjoy playing some internet games and vodafones service drops on average 4 times per night. I then have to reset the router.

I had a look at your magnet bolt product and done the line checker, it said it was possible for me to avail of this offer. The issue I have is that vodafone could only provide me their 3mb (actual speed 2.34 max) package and to memory eircom also.

How is it possible for magnet to offer me 12mb with their magnetbolt package?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Trying to connect the xbox to live through my macbook at the moment(i.e Xbox to macbook with ethernet, macbook to router wireless). The instructions seem pretty straightforward, the only problem is i need to get the router ip and i have no idea what that might be for the Telsey one we have.

Anyone have any ideas? or better yet has anyone gotten this working with Magnet?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Trying to connect the xbox to live through my macbook at the moment(i.e Xbox to macbook with ethernet, macbook to router wireless). The instructions seem pretty straightforward, the only problem is i need to get the router ip and i have no idea what that might be for the Telsey one we have.

Anyone have any ideas? or better yet has anyone gotten this working with Magnet?

There isn't one. The Macbook should have been given a public IP, so you're using that as the router.

Advertisement