Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pachey100

Mellor wrote: »
    It's a different product to the one you posted about

I am aware of that thanks I was saying thank you for giving a sensible answer and not speculating if the product works or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Gator wrote: »
    Its n the shelves in holland and barret, has this been 'legalised' here again?

Kept my trap shut when I bought it :)

I doubt the staff are aware of what is legal and what is not legal.

I doubt they were going to do you for buying a food supplement OTC but then again it does say EXPLODE... -

Next time why not ask for some C4 at the same time - then they will throw the book at you!:D

c4-top-banner.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

squod wrote: »

The ironic thing is that they're trying to be ironic considering they sh*te they actually sell and promises they make from some of their products.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

xgtdec wrote: »
    have you tried a "smartshaker"?, they have compartments for storing your protein so your still only bring one beaker with you, like today in mine i have my animal nitro in the main compartment, 2 servings of storm in the next and 1 of whey in the other!!

This actually looks like a fairly useful piece of kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

grimloch wrote: »

Yeah, they have them in my supp shop, i keep angling for a few one.
    i should really just buy the thing, but i have it in my head that shakers should be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

I know it's been covered before, but I've been using OxyElite Pro over the last couple of weeks and it's making a huge impact on how long and hard I can train for.

Take one first thing in the morning - about 20 minutes before breakfast, and another about 20 minutes before training after work.

They really heat you up (the leg sweats are weird) and it's a bit like exercising on speed. I've lost a bit of fat and trained better since I started taking them.

I'm not sure how much of it is placebo or novelty factor, but I like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

i should really just buy the thing, but i have it in my head that shakers should be free.

agreed on the free...for a regular shaker, i must of had about 20 regular shakers at home which have all been replaced with 4 smartshakers, i dont mind paying for stuff that deserves to be paid for:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

xgtdec wrote: »

agreed on the free...for a regular shaker, i must of had about 20 regular shakers at home which have all been replaced with 4 smartshakers, i dont mind paying for stuff that deserves to be paid for:)

Yeah regular shakers should be generally free as good will. I don't take them anymore as they usually go stinky fast and can leak.

I love my blender bottles from myprotein. Worth the cash.

Anyone here ordered from bodybuilding.com?

I'm wondering how long there super saver delivery actually takes and whether it was caught by customs

• Advertisement

No.

If it is declared correctly and is over the small import threshold it will be assessed for tax.

The usual will happen:

Value of goods
    Cost of shipping
    Slap on duty and or VAT.

Even though most food supps are zero rated on vat and in a lot of cases low or no duty there is a high chance it will be added - there is certainly the duty and vat to be added to the shipping.

I think now they make you pay the fee online before goods are released - I made the mistake with a replacement laptop battery which despite a .co.uk addy shipped from China!

It's not like it was a few years ago - if bb.com declare accurately which they will it will then be assessed for additional charges - worst part is the customs clearance fee!

Do An Post send you a notice about this?

I've only dealt with customs when it was a courier like DHL or UPS.

Not certain but probably yes.

BB.com are likely to be sending out via courier and not usps.

Not certain but nowadays if over the threshold one is likely to get hit with import fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Excess protein, means more than the bodys daily need. Obviously this is more than 30g.
    I do believe that excessive protein causes an increase in urea, but how much this is I don't know. All/Most/Some of it will be converted to glucose.

The body doesn't process any amount of protein in one go. It's can't even process 30g in one go. Protein digests slowly, whey is about 10g an hour. Basically, you body is almost constantly digesting food and converting protein, it makes sense to me to have a constant supply. Having more than 30g won't be wasted, it will just go to the back of the queue.

The 30g idea came from a study that monitored the rate of protein absorption. 30g whey takes 3 hours. So this lead to the believe that 30g is the max and that you must eat every 3 hours to stay anabolic.

Another study showed that protein aborption rates increase as you eat more, but the effect stops at around 30g. this doesn't mean that 30 is the max, it just means you don't process 40, or 60 any faster. Basically, 30g at breakfast then 30g 3 hours later is the same as 60g at 6 hour intervals.
    I presume, when you say "the body" can do 10g an hour, you mean some kind of average body of a certain weight. Otherwise there wouldn't be any point in anyone ever eating more than 240g in a day*... No matter how big they are. So it'd be good to know what size body can only get 10g digested/hour.

*unless they needed some kind of surplus to carry over to the next day when they were going to get less than 250g, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

For people thinking of ordering from bodybuilding.com, I made a thread on bb.com a while back(can't find the link right now, still have the screenshot on my laptop though), and I tried to highlight to them why european people don't order from their website.
    I was looking into ordering 2lbs of protein and some free samples, this is what I ended up with

1z35qmv.jpg
    I know it surely must be a glitch as that is ridiculous, a customer service guy said he was going to look into it, but he never got back to me.
    Btw, has anyone seen the latest myprotein.com offer? 1KG of WPI with every order over €65. Doesn't sound to bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

grimloch wrote: »
    They're more versatile than you'd expect.

I presume, when you say "the body" can do 10g an hour, you mean some kind of average body of a certain weight. Otherwise there wouldn't be any point in anyone ever eating more than 240g in a day*... No matter how big they are. So it'd be good to know what size body can only get 10g digested/hour.

*unless they needed some kind of surplus to carry over to the next day when they were going to get less than 250g, I guess.

Well obviously its an average, just like the body has X litres of blood, or x metres of intentines, or any other variable.
    I assume that the bigger guys, ie the ones eating 240g+ have a higher rate of consumption. These are the guys getting up in the middle of the night to get some protein in.

I don't see how knowing what what body size digests 10g an hour is good to know? Knowing won't change anything about your diet. Eat what you need, when ever you want, and your body deals with it as quick as it can.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Well obviously its an average, just like the body has X litres of blood, or x metres of intentines, or any other variable.
    I assume that the bigger guys, ie the ones eating 240g+ have a higher rate of consumption. These are the guys getting up in the middle of the night to get some protein in.

I don't see how knowing what what body size digests 10g an hour is good to know? Knowing won't change anything about your diet. Eat what you need, when ever you want, and your body deals with it as quick as it can.

Well, it'd just be useful to know the body digests 10g/hour/X KG of LBM or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭rock27

Which supp shop is that? These look really handy but I havn't seen them anywhere so far

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭robodonkey

On sale in LA Fitness dartry, just spotted them on the shelf in lobby today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Well, it'd just be useful to know the body digests 10g/hour/X KG of LBM or something.

I think after you had a hard workout your body will use need alot more then 10g for that hour after training.

On the protein and rate of absorbtion etc.

It's over analysis imo.

ATM I am doing any shake as 90-95g whey with 400mls water.

This equates to 72-75g actual protein and perhaps 325 kcals.

Now this whey is very clean, and as you can see I am only getting 325kcals.

It would be different to eat a 400g steak, along with the chips or mash etc. - same protein but far more calories.

I don't think we should focus on the amount of protein per se but rather the overall calories consumed in one sitting.

FTR - no issues with these shakes - no bloat, wind, nothing.

The same is pretty much true though if I were to have the 400g steak albeit I would not feel as good after eating all that food as it has to sit somewhere for a period of time.:)

Everybody is different so it really is a case of experimenting with things and finding which works best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭rocksteady36

If anyone is using iherb..When you use a referral code (mine is OGA522) you get $5 off your first order at iherb.....Sweet

Actually some good deals on organic vitamins from New Chapter etc..

https://www.iherb.com

What I meant was there are so many other varibles that its pretty much useless.
    rock27 wrote: »
    Which supp shop is that? These look really handy but I havn't seen them anywhere so far

It's in sydney, its not identical bit its pretty much the same idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭SuprSi

This may sound like a dumb question, but I was looking at the nutritional information for Nutrition X's MRM (Maximum Recovery Matrix) which is a post-workout shake. Per serving there are 91g of carbs, of which 90g is sugar. Is this not a ridiculously high amount of sugar to be taking onboard, regardless of whether you've just finished a workout or not. Sugar is sugar, right? I mean, a can of Coke has something like 40g of sugar in it - what's the difference (outside of the obvious additives and crap in Coke)??

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

jesus have people here actually recommended nutrition x? aren't they a re dreg irish company. I was expecting bits of bacon to be in the protein they sell. ****in rank, bottom of the barrell sub par company. anyone on here promoting them probably works for them

jesus have people here actually recommended nutrition x? aren't they a re dreg irish company. I was expecting bits of bacon to be in the protein they sell. ****in rank, bottom of the barrell sub par company. anyone on here promoting them probably works for them

I think there is a few people on here who really like them. RAM was really popular iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Each to their own!

But I actually like Nutrition X's Pro-Matrix..no complaints from me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I bought it a few times a couple of years back-its was nice back then, think it was the choc or mint choc flavour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

SuprSi wrote: »
    This may sound like a dumb question, but I was looking at the nutritional information for Nutrition X's MRM (Maximum Recovery Matrix) which is a post-workout shake. Per serving there are 91g of carbs, of which 90g is sugar. Is this not a ridiculously high amount of sugar to be taking onboard, regardless of whether you've just finished a workout or not. Sugar is sugar, right? I mean, a can of Coke has something like 40g of sugar in it - what's the difference (outside of the obvious additives and crap in Coke)??

Simple sugar is exact what you want PWO. A 2-1 ratio between carb and protein is common so assuming you take 40-50 g of protein pwo then 90 gram of sugar is the right ballpark.

Advertisement