Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I'll halve my Creatine intake

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

shuffles03 wrote: »
    So I should just take 1 teaspoon (5grams) of creatine before the gym, a protein shake without creatine after the gym and then another protein shake in the evening. Cool.

The American College of Sports Medicine, recommends that creatine is not consumed before training. It is unnecessary for effects and a minority of people have complained of distress during training taking this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

any one recommend a whey protein for first timer, ie never really being bothered with it but im willing to give it a try,thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

Compak wrote: »
    a minority of people have complained of distress during training taking this way.

Distress of the PUMP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Can somebody give me cliffs on Jack3D.
    housemate asked me about it and I know nothing.

I've googled the ingredients, but most I have no idea what they do, if they are legal etc

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »

I've googled the ingredients, but most I have no idea what they do, if they are legal etc

Well its sold in all good Supplements stores, and the Irish medical board knows about all supplements being sold "off the shelf". So legality wise, yes its legal.

Jack3d is a pre-workout supplement, its gives you energy and helps with that "pump" in the gym.

Ingredient wise, it contains:

Arginine: An amino acid
    Creatine: We all know about this
    Caffine: Its in youre coffee
    Beta Alanine: Regulates muscle pH for increased endurance
    Schizandrol A: Apprantly help nerve responses in relational to the CNS
    1,3-Dimethylamlamine: It can be simialrly based to caffine, its a stimulant.

Its the most popular pre-workout supplement out there. Seems everybody is using it.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Mellor wrote: »

Iv'e been using Jack3d for the last 2 weeks now and love it! I bought it in my local nutrition store so its definitely legal! Definitely does what it says on the tin! Extreme focus while training and does give a small strength boost(maybe just enough to bang out that extra rep!;))! definitely not something you want to take if your just doing cardio though! (tried this for a spin class and was still climbing the walls when i got home:eek: lesson learned!)

Start off slowly with the recomended dosage and then up the dosage by half scoops as you begin to build a tolerance to it! I find 2 scoops is plenty but i know some mad men who take upto 4!! Sometimes i get mild tingles in my face and hands(and occasionally balls?) when iv'e taken it and from what iv'e seen online this is from the ingredient: Beta Alanine, but to be honest i dont mind it at all and kind of like it as it lets me know the stuff is working!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I've been taking Jack3d now for a week and a half. It is definitely interesting stuff and I don't know If I'm going to continue taking it once the tub runs out.

My arms do go a little tingly for a short while after taking it (kind of sweatey/itchy feeling) but I feel it really enhances your focus working out and I have noticed a big difference in my ability and willingness during workouts. The major issue I have with is how it's affecting my moods; At night time I seem to crash and become irratable and I have even noticed it affecting how I sleep too. I have found several nights waking up in the middle of the night unable to get back to sleep and being irratable and frustrated that im waking up (?). - I'm sure most people dont experience any of this but it's definitely got some power behind them small 5g scooops.

Super workout stuff though.

Thanks guys, I was just asking as about legality as i'm not in ireland. There are products available here that are illegal in ireland. So I knid of threat those as maybe didgy. Obviously ireland is more conserative that others but its not a bad litmis test.

Intriged a bit now. Might give a tub a spin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭derkav

Tried two different pre work out supps and to be honest 1 was nothing really (no Shotgun i think) and the other one was hemo .... Didnt like this left me feeling in a bad mood all day after gym. Now i just have a nice strong espresso before i go to gym at 7am. wakes me up and focuses the mind too. Plus a hell of a lot cheaper and more natural than the shi*e in most prework out supps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

When you get a tingling sensation after using Jack3d(and many other pre-workout supplements), it is caused by the beta-alanine contained in it. It's one of the common side-effects of beta-alanine supplementation, nothing to worry about. If you buy the main effective raw ingredients for these PWO supplements(creatine, beta-alanine and caffeine), you can actually save a lot of money, and change the dosage/ratios of ingredients to give you better results.
    It can also help if you workout at night, and don't want to take in a lot of stimulants that would keep you awake.

If you are feeling bloated after creatine, try mixing it in warm water instead of in cold water or a shake, it will dissolve better. Bloating and cramps are generally caused by the powder not dissolving fully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Hey lads

Quick question regarding supplements and building muscle

What would be best to take if i want to increase muscle size, creatine or protein??

ION08 wrote: »
    Hey lads

What would be best to take if i want to increase muscle size, creatine or protein??

Emmm Chicken and Brown rice is the best supplement Ive found to increase muscle size, along with hard training.

gymsoldier wrote: »
    Emmm Chicken and Brown rice is the best supplement Ive found to increase muscle size, along with hard training.

Cheers for the insightful advice but chicken & brown rice is a food, not a supplement

So in addition to a healthy diet, I am wondering what gives best results: creatine or protein... or both?
    (creatine before training and protein afterwards?)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

Anyone tried l carnitine before? Read a bit about it and might give it a go but wanted to heard what some Boards people thought of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Hey lads

Take both together in PWO shake straight after training and it'll help with reduced recovery time from hard training sessions and also boost lean muscle mass!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Cheers for the insightful advice but chicken & brown rice is a food, not a supplement

So in addition to a healthy diet, I am wondering what gives best results: creatine or protein... or both?

Protein is a food. Whey protein is a food. It's not magic or particularly special other than being a food with a high content of protein.

Take both together in PWO shake straight after training and it'll help with reduced recovery time from hard training sessions and also boost lean muscle mass!:D

Creatine isnt going to help with recovery (its involvement is with ATP and CP), and protein will only help recovery in conjuction with a good diet.

These two products are not "miricle" supplements, the fact that the OP is asking which is better tells me his diet is going to be pretty poor to begin with.

Quite an assumption to make there :rolleyes:

My diet is pretty good actually and my metabolism even better!

I was simply asking what are the best supplements to take alongside my diet.

Not what food i should eat, and that protein is "theoretically" a food :rolleyes: ... sure I may aswell not bother eating food then by that logic

Thats why there called supplements you know, they are supplementary to your existing diet.

I never, asked for a "miracle" .. it was a simple question of what supplements would be best to take if i want to build a bit more muscle.

Not like i was asking where to buy steroids?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Protein = a food macronutrient.
    Whey protein is high in protein.
    Protein helps repair old cells and helps for cells to grow to optimum size and then divide making more cells.

This is true of all cells in the body, not just muscle cells.

you should be consuming around 2g of protein per kg of bodyweight, if you cant achiveve this eating steak, chicken, tuna, nuts etc, a whey shake or two a day are a good way of making up the balance, i.e. it is supplementing your food as it IS food

There is no magic window when it comes to protein ingestion, as long as your getting it in at some stage in the day, you'll be grand.
    Just train and eat sleep and do them in whatever order you can but do them all

Creatine is ok, I find I put on a bit of weight with it, water weight like, it would give you and extra 2-3% in the gym, not much more but it helps prevent injury by drawing more water into the muscles and joints.

Protein is a good thing to supplement with.

Try one, try the other, try both together, make up your own mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

The product I use is Nutrition X Ultimate. I know it's not the cheapest option, and it tastes lousy, to be frank, but I use it for the convenience. I went into a shop in town this week and they didn't have it but recommended another all in one shake - Titanium Trinity. The guy said it had some kind of miracle ingredient, but I wasn't really listening to him, as I assumed he was just spouting the usual waffle, but when I looked the ingredients up, it turned out to contain beta ecdysterone. I'd never heard of this, but it's supposedly classified as a steroid by the Irish Medicines Board, although it's not on the WADA banned list.

My instinct is to bin this stuff just to be on the safe side. Should I, or should I use this pack and just not get it again? Can it really be a steroid if they are openly listing it and selling it in broad daylight?

Don't bin it, I'll have it if you don't want it!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Healy Boy

Hi

I just want to know if anyone can tell me a real good supplement such as a protein, which would be good for recovery after the gym and also if anyone can give me a few tips on some foods for fast muscle building i just want to get ripped fast, and if there any other suppements that anyone can suggest that would be good 2..

It's a slippery slope, this business... Just a few days ago, I wouldn't have known a steroid if it injected itself into my ass. Now I'm one step away from dealing the stuff!

Just kidding. I took a scoop to taste it before looking up the ingredients, so I'm sure you wouldn't want it.

Bruce7 wrote: »
    beta ecdysterone

Just googled it there:

http://www.nutritionalreviews.org/betaecdysterone.htm

Yes, I saw that, which made me wonder why the Irish medicines board would have classified it as a steroid, if little or no research has been done on it. Also, the only source for its banning in Ireland seemed to be a hysterical article in the Sunday Tribune. A search on the Irish Medicines Board website gets no results.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 atwal

Hi,

Could any expert suggest me the best brand of Whey protein. There are number of brands in the market and I see in gym but I am not sure which one to go for. Price does not matter.

If possible suggest the same for Casein protein too.

Thank you,

Atwal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I use BSM ad Gold Standard,
    a friend of mine swears by the BSM stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Dilsheen

Optimum Nutritions 100% gold whey standard
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optimum-Nutrition-100%25-Chocolate-2-2Kg/dp/B000QSNYGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303181372&sr=8-1

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/whey.html

• Advertisement

Bruce7 wrote: »
    The product I use is Nutrition X Ultimate. I know it's not the cheapest option, and it tastes lousy, to be frank, but I use it for the convenience. I went into a shop in town this week and they didn't have it but recommended another all in one shake - Titanium Trinity. The guy said it had some kind of miracle ingredient, but I wasn't really listening to him, as I assumed he was just spouting the usual waffle, but when I looked the ingredients up, it turned out to contain beta ecdysterone. I'd never heard of this, but it's supposedly classified as a steroid by the Irish Medicines Board, although it's not on the WADA banned list.

My instinct is to bin this stuff just to be on the safe side. Should I, or should I use this pack and just not get it again? Can it really be a steroid if they are openly listing it and selling it in broad daylight?

It's not a steroid. It's a secosteroids, don't let the name confuse you the most common secosteroid is Vitamin D.

Steroid has a technical definition, so the medicines board can't classify it as a steroid. The head guy of the IMB came of and staid it was an anabolic steroids, he was wrong. They can ban it sure, just like they could ban anything that they believe should be prescription only. They can treat it like a steroid, but its not a steroid just becsue they say it is.

Advertisement