Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

Buy some usp labs modern Bcaa and use a scoop of that to a scoop of the bcaas you have - tastes quite nice with just water then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

I get the ultimate nutrition BCAA's unflavoured.

I mix it with green tea and/or some vitamin C powder

Or I just suck it up and forget about the taste. :D

Also I drink it with a litre of water each time so the flavour is lost quite a bit anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mick990

Hey peeps,

I just bought Nutrition x pro matrix as i'm trying to lose weight and just looking on the directions it says to take three shakes , one before training then one before your next two meals . Just wondering is this the proper way to use it as it kinda seems a bit excessive or if anyone else has used it differently ??

Any help here would be greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

The Guvnor wrote: »
    L-Glutamine should be ok - imo it is rank when mixed with whey but ok on it's own with juice.

As for BCAA - yours are non instant hence the clumping - not an issue but they really taste fowl even the better tasting instant taste fowl.

Best bet IMO is to mix the bcaa liberally with something like Rose's Lime Cordial or Vimto - I prefer the citrus flavours and others prefer the berry taste.

That is your only option but it will still not taste too exciting but will be manageable!

L-Glutamine with water was grand this morning, and the lime cordial worked like a treat! Cheers Guvnor would have never have though of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Out of interest how much cordial did you use and how much BCAA?

Glad it worked well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Out of interest how much cordial did you use and how much BCAA?

Glad it worked well!

A splash of cordial, about 3 times as much water, and 5g of BCAA. All into a bottle and given a vigorous shake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Mick990 wrote: »
    Hey peeps,

I just bought Nutrition x pro matrix as i'm trying to lose weight and just looking on the directions it says to take three shakes , one before training then one before your next two meals . Just wondering is this the proper way to use it as it kinda seems a bit excessive or if anyone else has used it differently ??

Any help here would be greatly appreciated :)

i take 1 with breakfast but I use Nutrition x whey post work out.
    But if you don't have a separate whey - I'd take another post work out

If i was taking another matrix I'd take it pre training - I generally don't but that's cos I don't eat a pre training meal unless it's lunch or dinner time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

A splash of cordial, about 3 times as much water, and 5g of BCAA. All into a bottle and given a vigorous shake.

I was doing 500mls water 100mls cordial and 20 grams BCAA (instant - ish). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 drakezoid

has anyone here bought anything off supplementcentre.com? the price rise of whey on myprotein is putting me off buying there again, prices seem pretty good at this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Hi guy's,

Was talking to a buddy of mine who recommended Jack 3d to me.
    He's the type of dude with more money than sense and would pretty much buy everything they sold him in the shop so I take his advice pretty lightly.
    But having looked it up, it seems to get a good bit of praise.
    Anyone here any experience of it?

Thanks
    Rob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Hi guy's,

He's the type of dude with more money than sense and would pretty much buy everything they sold him in the shop so I take his advice pretty lightly.

Thanks
    Rob

Yeah it's great stuff if you're a fan of heart attacks and don't like sleep!:P
    nah....it's a good pre workout drink, in that it gives you bags of energy but it's verrry strong so don't over do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Hi guy's,

Thanks
    Rob

If you are going for an ultra concentrated pre workout then go for c4 by cellucor. Mich better blend. Google it for reviews against jack3d. Only just after getting into Ireland recently

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

d-gal wrote: »
    If you are going for an ultra concentrated pre workout then go for c4 by cellucor. Mich better blend. Google it for reviews against jack3d. Only just after getting into Ireland recently

Thanks - it certainly gets good reviews. Where can it be got here ?

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Limousine Fred

Hi guy's,

Thanks
    Rob
    Yea couldn't recommend it enough tbh wouldn't go back to working out without it now if it wasn't for breaking creatine cycles!!

If you do go for it start off with one scoop for a week and build from there, I've never taken the three at one time, usually take 2 rounded scoops!!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Limousine Fred

https://www.store.cellucor.eu/products/C4-Extreme.html

Couldn't an irish site with it, might give it a go meself!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

hey,

I'm looking for a post training shake with protein, glutamine and amino acids.
    I really want to avoid creatine, as when i started taking it, my weight ballooned up and this is something i'm looking to avoid.

I do a mix of weight training with 30 mins cardio about 3-4 times per week and looking to lose weight but add lean muscle, basically look better.

thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

Hi all,

I've been at the Gym since the beginning of the year and have done weights since a few weeks in. I've been steadily working my way up the weights and getting more complex programs done up for me by my gym instructor.

When I initially joined the gym I was a bit over weight and over the 5 months I've lost 90% of the weight I wanted to lose doing mostly lifting and a bit of cardio. (2 & 3/4 stone)

So since I've been eating at a calorie deficit I've been supplementing with Whey protein for a couple of months now and have experienced some modest growth in the right places while lowering measurements in the right places also.

I've gotten to the point now where the weights/programs are getting quite hard, and pushing through the workout is getting more and more difficult, so my question is would it be majorly beneficial to me to also start on Creatine?

I am eager to gain size and strength but am also not prepared to put my health at risk in the immediate or long term to do so. I've read such conflicting information about Creatine all over the place, and talking to people in the know doesn't really help either as they all contradict each other.

People who use it will say I'm mad not to have started on it ages ago, while those who don't will go on about side effects and how it's not needed.
    On the note of side effects are there any notable ones? For example I've heard it can damage your liver over time and that it's bad for you in general, while also reading studies have shown little or no negative side to Creatine.
    So I'm conflicted about what to do.

Also need info on dosage, obviously directions come with the product but some experts around the net recommend 20-25g of saturation for the first 5 days and then 5-10 grams daily from then on for 6-8 weeks then start the cycle again. What do you guys think?

Lastly I'm not sure whether to go with the powder or the capsules. The capsules save me having to make another shake alongside my whey which saves time and effort but means dosage isn't customisable. Thoughts?

I'm heading into town tomorrow to that BioTech shop in the Ilac centre so would appreciate any info asap. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I am eager to gain size and strength but am also not prepared to put my health at risk in the immediate or long term to do so. I've read such conflicting information about Creatine all over the place, and talking to people in the know doesn't really help either as they all contradict each other.
    There's plenty of stuff written on creatine, a lot of it is nonsense. The fact that sunday papers refer to it as a steroid should highlight the fact that there is nonsense out there.
    Half of the "people in the know", don't know what they are talking about.
    Also need info on dosage, obviously directions come with the product but some experts around the net recommend 20-25g of saturation for the first 5 days and then 5-10 grams daily from then on for 6-8 weeks then start the cycle again. What do you guys think?
    The general accepted idea is that the loading phase is a myth pushed by the manufacturers, not much better than 5g a day.

With a loading phase cycle for 6 weeks you use 310grams (25g x 5 + 5g x 37)
    5g a day is 210g

You'll end up buying 50% more creatine, you can see why they might push this loading phase.
    Lastly I'm not sure whether to go with the powder or the capsules. The capsules save me having to make another shake alongside my whey which saves time and effort but means dosage isn't customisable. Thoughts?
    5g powder mixed in a drink isn't nearly as heavily as a whey shake, you could even toss it into the shake if you wanted.
    Capsules are alot more expensive, compare caps to powder in terms of gram for gram when you go in to the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Hi all,

I've gotten to the point now where the weights/programs are getting quite hard, and pushing through the workout is getting more and more difficult, so my question is would it be majorly beneficial to me to also start on Creatine?

My First question is what do you expect from Creatine with regards to the statement you made above?

I am not sure of the exact figure but it is a fact that firstly Creatine does not work for everybody. Some folks see no benefit from taking Creatine.

Secondly, Creatine is not a magic powder/potion which will give you heaps more energy and suddenly make your tough workouts easier. At best it will give you an extra rep or two on your heavy sets.

So my advice is to do a little (more) research of the purported benefits of supplementing with Creatine and understand what it is supposed to do for you and be realistic in your expections for results, then make up your mind.

My First question is what do you expect from Creatine with regards to the statement you made above?
    At best it will give you an extra rep or two on your heavy sets.

That's about what I was expecting, and any extra reps I can make easier is good enough for me. Also it helps add mass through Hydration if I understand it right so will help towards my goal in that department too.

On the note of doing more research, I've done quite a bit and came here as I found it conflicting and difficult to distinguish between truth and myth.

I got some info I found to make sense here:

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/creatine%20myths%20and_facts.htm

But that could also be wrong in places I don't know.
    Mellor wrote:
    The general accepted idea is that the loading phase is a myth pushed by the manufacturers, not much better than 5g a day.

With a loading phase cycle for 6 weeks you use 310grams (25g x 5 + 5g x 37)
    5g a day is 210g

You'll end up buying 50% more creatine, you can see why they might push this loading phase.

So just go with 5g a day from the beginning? And should I take breaks from it after a certain point and if so for how long? Also I work out 3 days a week and do walking/cardio most other days, should I still take Creatine every day?
    Mellor wrote:
    5g powder mixed in a drink isn't nearly as heavily as a whey shake, you could even toss it into the shake if you wanted.
    Capsules are alot more expensive, compare caps to powder in terms of gram for gram when you go in to the shop

Mixing the shakes sounds like a good idea, hopefully I can get either flavourless or the same flavour as my whey.

Only other thing I can think of right now is, is there any brand that's better than others or is it all the same as long as you buy it in a good store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

That's about what I was expecting, and any extra reps I can make easier is good enough for me. Also it helps add mass through Hydration if I understand it right so will help towards my goal in that department too.

I was not trying to be smart. It just that you see posts here from lots of guys who think that supplements are some kind of magic potion. I just wasn't sure if you fell into this bracket also :o
    On the note of doing more research, I've done quite a bit and came here as I found it conflicting and difficult to distinguish between truth and myth.

I got some info I found to make sense here:

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/creatine%20myths%20and_facts.htm

But that could also be wrong in places I don't know.

As above I advised further research so that you know what to expect from Creatine.

So just go with 5g a day from the beginning? And should I take breaks from it after a certain point and if so for how long? Also I work out 3 days a week and do walking/cardio most other days, should I still take Creatine every day?

5g-10g a day seems to be the doseage usually recommended. I usually take 5g in the morning (around 09:00) at my desk with 2 scoops of whey mixed with coconut milk.

From my reading on Creatine, there is no proof that it is detrimental to health and I don't believe that there is a requirement to cycle it, so personally I don't.
    Mixing the shakes sounds like a good idea, hopefully I can get either flavourless or the same flavour as my whey.

Only other thing I can think of right now is, is there any brand that's better than others or is it all the same as long as you buy it in a good store?

I have heard of folks mixing it with fruit juice or just plain water and downing it. I have always just mixed it into a shake. I usually have a shake at 09:00 in the morning at my desk (convenience) and another after training. I mix 5g of creatine into both of these.

This is the brand I use personally and the outlet I buy from. You can order online or they have a store in Dun Laoghaire and Dundrum. This is a flavourless version, so ideal for mixing into whey.

Also this creatine is made with Creapure which is suposed to be a purer type of creatine and I watched a vid on youtub which showed that Creapure Creatine mixed quicked and more fully in room tempature water than just ordinary Creatine Mono, so I always use a Creapure creatine.

I was not trying to be smart. It just that you see posts here from lots of guys who think that supplements are some kind of magic potion. I just wasn't sure if you fell into this bracket also

No worries, :)

5g-10g a day seems to be the doseage usually recommended. I usually take 5g in the morning (around 09:00) at my desk with 2 scoops of whey mixed with coconut milk.

From my reading on Creatine, there is no proof that it is detrimental to health and I don't believe that there is a requirement to cycle it, so personally I don't.

So you take 5g once a day? Am wondering myself whether to go with 5g or 10g a day.

This is the brand I use personally and the outlet I buy from. You can order online or they have a store in Dun Laoghaire and Dundrum. This is a flavourless version, so ideal for mixing into whey.

Also this creatine is made with Creapure which is suposed to be a purer type of creatine and I watched a vid on youtub which showed that Creapure Creatine mixed quicked and more fully in room tempature water than just ordinary Creatine Mono, so I always use a Creapure creatine.

I went with this one (In a Tub though):

http://www.biotechusa.com/100-creatine-monohydrate.html

Had gone into town this morning before you had the chance to reply so didn't have the opportunity to check out the stores you mentioned.
    There was loads of different Creatine there, this was the first one I looked at:

http://www.biotechusa.com/creapump.html

But it was so high in calories and a bit much for me just trying it out so I went with the first one which is just Mono-hydrate.

Will see how I get on, thanks for all the information.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Creatine dosage this and creatine loading that..a marketing scam..the stuff doesnt work!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Degsy wrote: »
    Creatine dosage this and creatine loading that..a marketing scam..the stuff doesnt work!!

B*llox.

Creatine works, and it works very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Degsy wrote: »

There's journals full of peer-reviewed, verified, scientific studies on a variety of sportsmen and women that have documented quite the opposite to your personal experience.

Creatine works, people just a) get waaaay too bogged down in the myth that is 'loading', b) expect it to be some miracle supplement that can somehow out perform a crappy diet and bad training and c) expect too much from it even when they are doing it right.

edit: or as Hanley so eloquently put it, b*llox :)

g'em wrote: »
    There's journals full of peer-reviewed, verified, scientific studies on a variety of sportsmen and women that have documented quite the opposite to your personal experience.

Creatine works, people just a) get waaaay too bogged down in the myth that is 'loading', b) expect it to be some miracle supplement that can somehow out perform a crappy diet and bad training and c) expect too much from it even when they are doing it right.

edit: or as Hanley so eloquently put it, b*llox :)

Never use 74 words when 1 will suffice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Hanley wrote: »
    Never use 74 words when 1 will suffice!

Did you C&P that into word or count it by hand? :D

g'em wrote: »
    Did you C&P that into word or count it by hand? :D

word.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

I reckon the reason your weight ballooned was because its usually creatine monohydate in those shakes and so you retained water. The all in one's cost you about 45-55 quid and last about 2 weeks if taken twice daily.
    Just buy a regular tub of protein and something like Scivation Xtend or BCAA powder/tables and take them separately. might cost you more up front but you get to control your intake and get far more aminos acids/protein and there'll be less carbs too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

You post indicates that your started taking it and yoru weight shot up?
    i find it hard that your weight just "ballooned" and creatine is the only culprit.

I'm not having a go - just don't pick the easy candidate to blame.

As for post workout - I've tried Nutrition X RAM and I liked it.

However the best recovery aid I've used for myself is ZMA.

Advertisement