Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

what tested brands do you buy?? lol

myprotein, bulk powders are 100 percent! Infact they are better that most of the larger well known premium brands. Have seen private independant testing to verify this fact. That said i am currently boycotting mp over their new pricing structure but theyre quality is top notch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Morpheus77 wrote: »
    VITARGO is VITARGO its patented product so every pure vitargo should be the same. Price is OK.

The vitargo those guys are selling is an old blend of the product that was bought up during it's last production run, it's been warehoused for some time and I've heard from a couple of sources that it's inferior to the newer blends as being sold by Genr8 etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Morpheus77

john_cappa wrote: »

myprotein, bulk powders are 100 percent! Infact they are better that most of the larger well known premium brands. Have seen private independant testing to verify this fact. That said i am currently boycotting mp over their new pricing structure but theyre quality is top notch.

I'm too long in that to say that smth is 100%. I know one brand which do tests every month- they are slighty different every time and it's natural like I said difference 2% is normal and if someone tell me that smth is 100% I'm sure that is bull**** :-)

There is few products controlled and produced only by companies which get CErt like Vitargo, Creapure thats why they are more expensive because they are TESTED and produced under licence.

Which brands I buy...
    First is ON 100% Gold Standard its not only taste because I like more Gaspari taste, PEAK -MIcellar Casein, Daily One from SCitec if about vitamins, lean gainer Jumbo or Dominator, boosters there is few of them NO SHotgun, NOX Pump, Plutonium, if I'm not on Creatine I like Nitrix or Vasobolan, what more do you want to know??

• Advertisement

I dont think you understand what i meant when i said they are 100 percent. I meant that they are 100 straight and can be trusted. Apologies if i wasnt clear. My protein always meet their label claims from what i have seen.

I am not going to comment on specific brands negatively as it is unfair and i would be liable so generally only comment positively, as i said mp can be trusted. Given they manufacture most of their own stuff in house i would trust them more than most branded companies who outsource their manufacturing. ON are also a great company! Got 10 lb of rocky road last week myself!

I dont think you understand what i meant when i said they are 100 percent. I meant that they are 100 straight and can be trusted. Apologies if i wasnt clear. My protein always meet their label claims from what i have seen.

I am not going to comment on specific brands negatively as it is unfair and i would be liable so generally only comment positively, as i said mp can be trusted. Given they manufacture most of their own stuff in house i would trust them more than most branded companies who outsource their manufacturing. ON are also a great company! Got 10 lb of rocky road last week myself!

I understood what you meant and I dont want to fight for any brand, because nobody pay me for it.
    As I said, I know market pretty well and I saw too many 'funny' situation like last year on small EXPO during Stongmen competition in Limerick I talked with sales rep from one brand he said that thay are on market from 70's, that ON has the same manufacturer, that flavours are exactly the same and what? I tried that belive me it was far far away from ON and I checked company they are on the market since 70's but with milk producing :-) however they had test sheet from laboratory in UK signed, stamped and described exactly which product and when was tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

It's easy to test for protein % but not as easy to test for other ingredients.

A lot of non-university UKAS or otherwise accredited labs do not possess the necessary equipment to perform tests on creatine etc.

To put this in perspective protien can be tested for £15 and one person was recently quoted £900 to test L-Glutamine and that was after most labs told him they could not even test for it.

Some brands test their whey every batch but do so in-house - some would say this is good but not great as it is not independent.

MP are simply putting up in most cases the COA they receive from their supplier(s).

The Guvnor wrote: »
    It's easy to test for protein % but not as easy to test for other ingredients.

A lot of non-university UKAS or otherwise accredited labs do not possess the necessary equipment to perform tests on creatine etc.

To put this in perspective protien can be tested for £15 and one person was recently quoted £900 to test L-Glutamine and that was after most labs told him they could not even test for it.

Some brands test their whey every batch but do so in-house - some would say this is good but not great as it is not independent.

MP are simply putting up in most cases the COA they receive from their supplier(s).

Aye! Prices get crazy! Even the basic cheap protein test can be easily fooled I am lead to believe as it is simply a nitrogen test and other cheap ingredients could be added to fool the test.

I wanted to test a product for aspartame (just out of sheer curiosity) a few weeks back and was quoted 120 sterling + vat.

I dont care that much lol!

I'll be in Essen attending FIBO.

• Advertisement

The simple Nitrogen test - tests for protein not whey protein so yes any protein source will contribute to the Nitrogen content.

The N score is then X by 6.38 in most cases and reported on a dry basis.

The cost for isolating the aspartame is not that bad really but it proves the point that an individual in 99.99% of cases simply will not bother going ahead with it if the cost is a bit high.

The only issue I would see with substituting whey with a cheaper protein is the taste issue - pea protein might be hard to mask in larger amounts etc.

The Guvnor wrote: »
    The simple Nitrogen test - tests for protein not whey protein so yes any protein source will contribute to the Nitrogen content.

The N score is then X by 6.38 in most cases and reported on a dry basis.

The cost for isolating the aspartame is not that bad really but it proves the point that an individual in 99.99% of cases simply will not bother going ahead with it if the cost is a bit high.

The only issue I would see with substituting whey with a cheaper protein is the taste issue - pea protein might be hard to mask in larger amounts etc.

I was too lazy to try and put together a consortium to share the cost as I dont really have any vested interest bar curiosity. I am sure you can guess the product I wanted to test :D

Pea protein is rank :eek:

In all fairness the new pea protein is not nearly as bad. However add in considerable amounts of this to whey and it would be hard to disguise.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Anyone want to suggest a nice flavour off myprotein? Been doing some searching but got a boatload of conflicting info as obviously different people have different tastes. For reference i've been using ON chocolate for quite some time. Going to try myprotein for a change because it's cheaper and protein is protein so.... i'm thinking of going for choc nut. How does that compare to ON chocolate if anyone has used both? Any info would be nice, ordering tomorrow night. Also a discount code if there is one going :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bosswinger

jive wrote: »
    Anyone want to suggest a nice flavour off myprotein? Been doing some searching but got a boatload of conflicting info as obviously different people have different tastes. For reference i've been using ON chocolate for quite some time. Going to try myprotein for a change because it's cheaper and protein is protein so.... i'm thinking of going for choc nut. How does that compare to ON chocolate if anyone has used both? Any info would be nice, ordering tomorrow night. Also a discount code if there is one going :P

I can't compare MP to others because it is the only one I have tasted but I highly recommend Choc mint and Cookies & Cream! Both are delicious! Vanilla and Choc Orange are nice also. Toffee fudge and Raspberry ripple are ok. All my opinion but I would advise when you do make an order to get a couple of samples to taste different flavors.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

jive wrote: »

Chocolate whey tastes all the same to me, so that's what I always get. I got the MP one a while back, grand.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I generally don't like chocolate protein so take the following for what it's worth. I really like the banana MP one, and the cookies and creme is tasty too.

Chocolate & Banana mixed = NYOM

My code's MP125520 if anyone wants to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Cool thanks for the info above! I had banana protein before and i loved it but towards the end of the tub it was getting a bit too sweet for me! Chocolate isn't too sweet and it doesn't take like ass so i'll probably chance chocolate nut for a tiny bit of variety. Not too much of a risk in that one. Getting a 5kg bag so don't want to go too wild or anything :P

I'll use your code hanley, sound

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Hanley wrote: »
    I generally don't like chocolate protein so take the following for what it's worth. I really like the banana MP one, and the cookies and creme is tasty too.

Chocolate & Banana mixed = NYOM

My code's MP125520 if anyone wants to use it.
    +1 on banana and cookies and cream. Thought C+C was a bit sweet at first but its really grown on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭KeithReilly

Looking to buy some protein bars.

Making them or bringing a food alternative is what I usually do but this isn't an option.

What is the best bar?
    The best price?
    And
    The best place to buy?

• Advertisement

It depends mate - I was always partial to the peak body 50 bars. They are decent if a little chewy but price per gram - hard to beat.

Best place to buy - not sure really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

"Oh Yeah!" bars are awesome. They've about 25g of protein in each. It's like a big snickers bar.

DiscountSupplements.ie do them, as do Nutrition Connection. You can get a box of (12?) them for about 25 quid if I remember correctly.

The Oh Yeah bars are disgracefully nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Hanley wrote: »
    The Oh Yeah bars are disgracefully nice.

Oh Yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I've been taking protein constantly for the past 3 months. I've gone from using Gold Standard to cheaper Holland & Barrett Precision Engineered Protein (due to it only costing €19.99).

Well, I went into H&B today and the deal for the €20 P.E. Protein was over. I only had €20 on me so I scanned around and saw Creatine for €19.99.

I've never taken it before but have always been intrigued by it. I'm not sure if I've bought the right type of Creatine or if I should be taking Creatine & Protein at the same time?

I bought 'Precision Engineered High Potency Formula Creatine Powder, HPLC Pure Creatine Monohydrate'.

Is this good to take? When I was taking protein, I would have a shake every morning (post workout) and then one every evening, (I've been doing supersets every morning 5 days a week since the start of Jan). The protein I was taking was low in carbs (I really don't want to gain weight, currently I'm 13.5 stone, 6"1, 27 yrs old).

According to the instructions on the bottle, I need to take 1 heaped spoon 4-6 times daily for the first week and then 1 a day for 11 weeks after. Is the loading phase too much? What differences will I see by taking Creatine instead of Protein?

shuffles03 wrote: »
    I've been taking protein constantly for the past 3 months. I've gone from using Gold Standard to cheaper Holland & Barrett Precision Engineered Protein (due to it only costing €19.99).

Well, I went into H&B today and the deal for the €20 P.E. Protein was over. I only had €20 on me so I scanned around and saw Creatine for €19.99.

I've never taken it before but have always been intrigued by it. I'm not sure if I've bought the right type of Creatine or if I should be taking Creatine & Protein at the same time?

I bought 'Precision Engineered High Potency Formula Creatine Powder, HPLC Pure Creatine Monohydrate'.

Is this good to take? When I was taking protein, I would have a shake every morning (post workout) and then one every evening, (I've been doing supersets every morning 5 days a week since the start of Jan). The protein I was taking was low in carbs (I really don't want to gain weight, currently I'm 13.5 stone, 6"1, 27 yrs old).

According to the instructions on the bottle, I need to take 1 heaped spoon 4-6 times daily for the first week and then 1 a day for 11 weeks after. Is the loading phase too much? What differences will I see by taking Creatine instead of Protein?

Creatine is responsible for energy in muscles, proteins are muscle tissue builder so best way is taking them togheter unless you can get proper amount of protein from your diet.

Don't do loading period with creatine it can only affect your kiddney.
    Take 10 g on workout days ( divided for 2 5g portion one in the morning 20 minutes before first meal and second straightway after workout) and 5 grams on non workout days in the morning only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I workout every morning Mon-Fri so is it ok to be taking Creatine everyday? Also, stupid question but 5 grams is 1 teaspoon right?

So, my best combination is 5 grams of Creatine before my workout, 5 grams post workout & a protein shake. Then another protein shake in the evening?

Is the Creatine i've bought any good?

shuffles03 wrote: »
    I workout every morning Mon-Fri so is it ok to be taking Creatine everyday? Also, stupid question but 5 grams is 1 teaspoon right?

So, my best combination is 5 grams of Creatine before my workout, 5 grams post workout & a protein shake. Then another protein shake in the evening?

Is the Creatine i've bought any good?

Do you eat smth before workout? You can mix creatine with protein in the morning (1 teaspoon is 5g) but mix that with water not with milk!!!
    2nd portion of protein after workout. Third before you go to bed.
    Creatine Monohydrate is usually the same-some companies add vitamins B6,B12, taurine to improve muscle anabolism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Emmanu

Hi,
    Whey protein is usually used to build up muscles and it is a mixture of globular proteins which is isolated from whey.
    This liquid material type of whey protein which is created as a by-product of cheese production.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DARCHA22

Morpheus77 wrote: »
    Do you eat smth before workout? You can mix creatine with protein in the morning (1 teaspoon is 5g) but mix that with water not with milk!!!
    2nd portion of protein after workout. Third before you go to bed.
    Creatine Monohydrate is usually the same-some companies add vitamins B6,B12, taurine to improve muscle anabolism.

Why not with milk?? utter nonsense.

Creatine can be taken with any liquid any time of the day

You alos dont need to take creatine with your protein shakes as you advised in an earlier post.

Also you say take 10g on workout day but dont do the loading phase(20g per day for 5 days) as it damages the kidneys, that statement is laughable there is no evidence of kidney damage from creatine use and its recommended to use 5grams per day. and recommending 10g on workout days why do you recommend this???

Also the amount of "portions" or "portion" sizes is dependent on the persons entire diet, no point recommending someone has a shake 3 times a day if they are eating enough protein now is there. Post workout and fill nutritional gaps thats all they shoudlbe used for.

The amount of bad advice on here is absolutly shocking at times!

Advertisement