Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Jon wrote: »
    40 quid in Caple street I believe. I tried Road side Lemon today, man it's the nicest thing i've ever tasted, no joke!

Thanks Jon, but it's an awful small tub for that money! I think it's about €28-30 online if you're into that kinda thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

I reckon so, it's worth it though. It'll be my staple isolate for the next while anyway :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Esse85 wrote: »
    Because if you compare both labels, you'll see that Maximuscle is slightly superior to The Supplement Factory per serving.

Promax has 3% more protein, 75% more carbs, 25% more fat and 10% more calories.

That's quite some trade off for an extra gram of protein....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I reckon so, it's worth it though. It'll be my staple isolate for the next while anyway :)

Thats whey isolate right, and a 2 lb tub? I've never tried this stuff, but at the same price for over twice as much product it might be worth a shot? http://www.universalnutrition.ie/viewproduct/18
    you could do a product review for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Thats whey isolate right, and a 2 lb tub? I've never tried this stuff, but at the same price for over twice as much product it might be worth a shot? http://www.universalnutrition.ie/viewproduct/18

It's a pity there's 3g of carbs and fat in it though - I'd stick with the SF stuff over it imho. But nectar has zero carbs so it's a different story tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Hanley wrote: »
    Promax has 3% more protein, 75% more carbs, 25% more fat and 10% more calories.

That's quite some trade off for an extra gram of protein....
    Malteaser! Can you see now why Maximuscle is more superior?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Eh no, having 75% more carbs and 25% more fat than the Supplement Factory hardly makes it superior.

For everything in life, there's a photo;

missed_the_point.jpg

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

will do! coming right up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Sorry for stupid question lads.
    Am just starting into talking whey protein as i am doing a lot of cv (running) exercise one day and then circuits of weights the next day, and so on.
    Should i take it before or after workout and how often a day should I take it... result im looking for is to build up muscle, if it takes weeks so be it, its just i feel that whatever weight training I do i loose the benefits due to the cv work.
    Thanks for advice in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Am just starting into talking whey protein as i am doing a lot of cv (running) exercise one day and then circuits of weights the next day, and so on.
    Should i take it before or after workout and how often a day should I take it... result im looking for is to build up muscle, if it takes weeks so be it, its just i feel that whatever weight training I do i loose the benefits due to the cv work.

Drop the running for a while. Lift heavy weights, as you're probably already doing.

And take your whey supp after lifting. But have a good heqalthy diet, and eat loads to gain weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pro-Nutrition

I have not been on the boards for a while, just flicking through today and seen your post.

If I was you I would cut back on the cardio while trying to build size. Do up your food intake within reason, some people do go over board with the MD'S and Subways thinking that they can turn fat into muscle. Up the calories, carbs and protein, depending on what you want out of it I would be more inclined to focus on my protein intake. Mainly because it’s easy to get carbs in and not so easy to get good quality protein in unless your to walk around with pounds of steak. If you want to just put on as much weight well go for it eat eat eat what ever but you will have more work to do when it comes to getting some sort of shape. Even off season for me I would focus on protein intake, that way when it comes to dieting I don’t have to drop 3-4 stone to look good. It’s up to you. Just make sure if you are still doing the cardio that you are taking in enough protein and fats so that when you are doing cardio your body is not eating into protein and fat reserves which you need to build muscle.

All the best and let us know how you get on

will do! coming right up.

Jon,

Just sent you a PM.

Keith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

www.discount-supplements.co.uk

Some great bargains on this site with the sterling currency rate. I have ordered off them in the past and yesterday ordered 5lb reflex instant whey for around 27pound and they have MRPs by Met Rx on sale for half what you'd pay in Ireland (even on a website) free delivery from UK on orders over 200sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

at last somebody gave me a fecking answer...

What product should i get - protein wise. I noticed a few of them have creatine inbuilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Optimum Nutrition is always a good safe bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bulk powders have 5kg 80% whey for £29.99

Then delivery is £11.48 for parcelforce 48hr. So £41.44 in total so about €45-46, under €10 per kilo delivered.

£71.43 for 10kg since post remains the same. http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/product.php?xProd=276

postage remains only £11.48 for up to 4x5kg tubs. jumps to £21.85 @ 5 tubs. I think the parcelforce cut off is 25kg, so the containers and box must bring it up to near that with just 4. Works out about €7.25 per kilo delivered.

I'm gonna try out some of the Olimp stuff over the coming few months in the run up to the IDFPA national champs. I've a good 4-5kg to gain so hopefully it'll help!

I'll let y'all know how I get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Nice one, I'd like to hear what the Olimp stuff is like... heard good things.

Does anybody have any experience with MyProtein.co.uk by the way?

Nice one, I'd like to hear what the Olimp stuff is like... heard good things.

Does anybody have any experience with MyProtein.co.uk by the way?

I'm gonna try get some Massacra , a gainer and maybe a PWO shake if they have one and see what the story is. That and 1.5x the quantity of food I'm eating!!

A lot of english lads that post on powerliftinguk.com have a 5% discount code in their sig for myprotein which you should check out, they seem to get on well with it.

Bulkpowders.co.uk are a good bet.

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    I'm gonna try get some Massacra , a gainer and maybe a PWO shake if they have one and see what the story is. That and 1.5x the quantity of food I'm eating!!

A lot of english lads that post on powerliftinguk.com have a 5% discount code in their sig for myprotein which you should check out, they seem to get on well with it.

Bulkpowders.co.uk are a good bet.

Hanley, I was using the Olimp for a while to see what it was like and I have to say that I made great gains. As a gainer I was using the Gain Bolic and their Egg protein. You mentioned the Massacra, its good. You will get a good kick out of it. The only down side to it would be having to make it with hot water, but not a biggy. Taste good as well. Take it about 30 mins before you train and make sure that you have all your pre carbs in before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Just thought I'd post this as I feel it's what this thread is missing. I think this sh1t is hilarious...

1229582389932.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

resource.jpg

Yessir..them supplements REALLy work!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭6stringmaniac

I don't really know alot about supplements. Ive heard about some side affects of them.
    Are these true?
    What are the negative consequences of taking supplements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

You grow biceps on your shoulders :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

What about buying those supplements in Argos? Are they all the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I don't really know alot about supplements. Ive heard about some side affects of them.
    Are these true?
    What have you heard? I'm going to guess that by and large they're untrue.
    What are the negative consequences of taking supplements?
    It depends what you're taking. If you take too much Vitamin B complex your pee goes neon yellow. Harmless but hilarious. If you take too much whey you'll... well, you'll just get fat actually. Too much creatine? Hard to do, mostly just pee'd out of you. But some people report cramp and bloating with regular use creatine monohydrate. There's not very much in the way of really bad side effects with legal supplements to be honest, was there anything in particular you were worried about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Satan Polaroid

Dean820 wrote: »
    What about buying those supplements in Argos? Are they all the same?

I think it's Maximuscle that's sold in Argos?

I wouldn't go near it, to be honest. In my experience, it tends to put on 'love-handles'!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭6stringmaniac

g'em wrote: »
    What have you heard? I'm going to guess that by and large they're untrue.

Nothing too serious.
    Just things like they are unhealthy and can be bad for you in the long term.
    Also I heard that they can lead to things like stress and mood swings

• Advertisement

Nothing too serious.
    Just things like they are unhealthy and can be bad for you in the long term.

What is "unhealthy"... 99% of the things we do is unhealthy (and bad for us in the long term).

I find it hard to believe that someone who dillegently goes to the gym, trains hard, watches what they eat and has a protein shake afterwards will be more unhealthy, or in worse shape over the long term, than the person who sits at home watching TV with a glass of coke and a bag of crips!
    Also I heard that they can lead to things like stress and mood swings

Working's a bitch isn't it?? :D

Seriously, it's food. It's like eating a chicken breast, or drinking a pint of milk. If anyone told you that effected your mood you'd probably laugh in their face. I do the same to people who say it about supplements.

Advertisement