Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jbjwilliams

Looking also for isolate whey protein .. although, is possible to get Isolate whey protein Lactose Free or recomended for people with lactose intolerance? I think I am lactose intolerant ... What brand do you recomend? and where I can get it?
    Thanks,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

http://www.maximuscle.ie/thermobol

what do ye think of these?

A load of overpriced crap..do some cardio instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RazorR

http://www.maximuscle.ie/thermobol

what do ye think of these?

Not the best. Get your diet right first, up your cardio and then use a good fat burner to help get really cut.

RazorR wrote: »
    Not the best. Get your diet right first, up your cardio and then use a good fat burner to help get really cut.

Whats a good fat burner?Since you cant get ephedra anymore there are no good legal fat burners.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭louis626

Any one got any opinions on whether I should go for Optimum Serious mass or BSN True Mass as im looking for a good quality gainer?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

louis626 wrote: »
    Any one got any opinions on whether I should go for Optimum Serious mass or BSN True Mass as im looking for a good quality gainer?:D
    Both are good brands, id go with which ever one is cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pro-Nutrition

Esse85 wrote: »
    Both are good brands, id go with which ever one is cheaper.

I have to agree. Both brands are a high quality and will do the job. If you were to put a gun to my head I would go with the BSN, Mixes easy and tastes amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Hornd

Serious mass has too many carbs per serving. Go with True Mass if thats the only other option. You could try IDS Smart Gainer or if you can find it cheap enough 2 BSN Syntha 6s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

just want to ask something

had been using RAM from nutrition x for the post workout shake, along with good meals within an hour of finishing the session. i don't use a pre workout shake, but make sure i've eaten protein during the day - eggs, tuna, milk before the gym

does this stuff actually work? i noticed i ended up passing a lot more fluid than i do when not using it. not sure if it was aiding muscle recovery or not

does it make much more of a difference?

just want to ask something

had been using RAM from nutrition x for the post workout shake, along with good meals within an hour of finishing the session. i don't use a pre workout shake, but make sure i've eaten protein during the day - eggs, tuna, milk before the gym

does this stuff actually work? i noticed i ended up passing a lot more fluid than i do when not using it. not sure if it was aiding muscle recovery or not

does it make much more of a difference?

It has its adeherents,mostly,i would imagine because of its disgusting sickly sweet taste.If you want an inexpensive PWO shake you can make your own by adding three scoops of glucose to one scoop of whey powder.Maybe add some electrolyte powder if you like but i wouldnt bother buying RAM as its an expensive version of the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

It depends really where your buying the ram...if its in the shops for 35/40 euro then id agree with the above poster make your own but if your getting it from irish lifting for 25 or supp factory for 20 then i reckon you wont find a better PWO shake, bit of creatine in there its all u need! Although were money not an issue Surge from biotest is marginally better - whey is whey hydrosolate and carbs is waxy maize starch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭TrueMass

Where did you get the SURGE, what is the taste like, it says maltodextrin and dextrose when i looked it up.

I wonder what Degree of Hyrolysed Whey protein Concentrate/Isolate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I use PWO time to indulge in simple carbs, why have bland glucose when you can be eating sweet cakes with ice cold strawberry whey milkshakes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I use RAM after every workout, mainly because I go to the gym before work and can't get a proper meal (other than a banana and a yoghurt) into me straight afterwards. I really enjoy the taste of it, especially when used with very cold water. Does it work? I don't know, but I know I'd rather use it than not as without it I don't think my body would have what it needed after a workout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

It depends really where your buying the ram...if its in the shops for 35/40 euro then id agree with the above poster make your own but if your getting it from irish lifting for 25 or supp factory for 20 then i reckon you wont find a better PWO shake, bit of creatine in there its all u need! Although were money not an issue Surge from biotest is marginally better - whey is whey hydrosolate and carbs is waxy maize starch

Not really sure how good an idea a waxy maize and protein combo is tbh…. The whole idea of waxy maize is that it bypasses everything and does its job as quickly as possible. Taking whey with it would only slow it down, defeating the purporse. AFAIK the recommendatino with WMS is to take it immediately after training and wait approx. 30 minutes before you get your protein in.

I actually have a tub of WMS in my car that I keep meaning to use. I must try it and see. My training partner swears by it.

thanks for the replies

i suppose the thing i notice is that i just starting going to the toilet a lot during the evening after taking RAM after a 3/4pm workout

as for pre-workout supplements - i've never taken any (just eat well). what would be the best thing to take (if i wanted to go down that road)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

as for pre-workout supplements - i've never taken any (just eat well). what would be the best thing to take (if i wanted to go down that road)

A sandwich.

Some day my anti supplement message will get through.

go on, whats the anti supplements message then...

usually i'd have a banana and some fruit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

go on, whats the anti supplements message then...

You don't need them! You dont need something called ALFA BLAST MUSCLETRON 5000 X to get stronger.

I've said it before and I've said it again there is a supplements sticky on the site. That's enough for their discussion. I think the Mods have actually lost the will to ask people to stick to it cos the flood of topics is too much.

I see an endless list of usernames popping in here with their 2 cents on supplements and zero discussion on training etc. If someone comes in asking about bench plateaus or any other topic related to actual training there's not a peep from anyone. I bet I could get a list of 10 usernames in minutes that have only contributed to the fitness forum in discussions on supplements.

For the love of God get some perspective. If anyone gave a shít I'd love to stop taking any supplement AT ALL and see if my numbers dropped in my log.

Think they would?

I'm off to take some deep breaths.

• Advertisement

yeah. well, was just looking for an opinion

tbh, i've read most of the stickies and its very good info.

and i only started using that RAM stuff in the last few months. just wanted to see if others felt it was worth the hassle buying it and taking it after workouts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

kevpants wrote: »
    I think the Mods have actually lost the will to ask people to stick to it cos the flood of topics is too much.
    Is it that obvious? :o

Thread merged with sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Hornd

You don't need them! You dont need something called ALFA BLAST MUSCLETRON 5000 X to get stronger.

You mean powerthirst doesn't work!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭quirkster

Hanley wrote: »
    Not really sure how good an idea a waxy maize and protein combo is tbh…. The whole idea of waxy maize is that it bypasses everything and does its job as quickly as possible. Taking whey with it would only slow it down, defeating the purporse. AFAIK the recommendatino with WMS is to take it immediately after training and wait approx. 30 minutes before you get your protein in.

I actually have a tub of WMS in my car that I keep meaning to use. I must try it and see. My training partner swears by it.

whey and waxymaize are two completly different supplements.
    whey protein, if taken with water, is pretty much instantly absorbed as it is pre digested. with milk, the caesin ensures it is slowly released (ideal for night time)

waxymaize will replenish your glycogen stores in your muscles after a workout, so as to stop your body going into a catabolic state. niether affects the others absorption rate at all, or their effectiveness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

anybody use or have any experience with bulkpowders.co.uk?? Also whats the difference between whey protein concentrate and isolate??

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/

A controversial question that bodybuilding/supplement companies argue back and forth about.

To cut a long story short, isolate protein is purer and contains more protein and less carbs/sugar/fat whatever. Isolate is said to be 90-94% protein while whey concentrate has a protein ratio of 70-85%.

I have always just used whey concentrate as I don't see the justification in paying more and most other people I know with great bodies do too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

Does anyone on this forum use whey protein I am thinking of purchasing some. Is it any good and what are the best brands to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭quirkster

T Corolla wrote: »
    Does anyone on this forum use whey protein I am thinking of purchasing some. Is it any good and what are the best brands to purchase.

if your not getting enough protein, you will not grow.
    you should aim for at least 1 gram of protein per pound of your bodyweight.most people need whey to supplement this amount.
    its way more convienient to make a shake, than to fry up some chicken fillets, which is why, anyone who is serious about putting on muscle will use whey protein

There are ALOT of companies producing whey, the one ive found to be the best in terms of quality and price, is IDS Whey Protein

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

newby.204 wrote: »
    anybody use or have any experience with bulkpowders.co.uk??

Yup. Found them good. myprotein.co.uk are also good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Twin Lance

Hey guys, got a tub of Creatamax off eBay last week, and it might seem completely irrelevant but the stuff tastes terrible. Got Orange flavour because I didn't specify and the thought of stomaching the stuff every day is pretty daunting. Any ideas for a mixer to use?
    I know it sounds terrible, and I'm sure the benefits are surely going to outweigh the disadvantage of a bad taste, but I wouldn't mind not having to chug the stuff in the morning just to get it out of the way!

Advertisement