Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭LovetohateTV

Hi all, im new to taking supplements and i just picked up some Pro Power Pure Creatine Monohydrate and Pro Power weight gainer from Argos on sale. Firstly it says i should only take 1 teaspoon (3-5g) of the pure creatine per day and dont exceed that but then ive read for your first week you should be taking (20-30g). Is this true? ive already noticed my strenght has improved when im benching and ive already moved up to much heavier weights i bought. Also will the weight gainer actually work for me? im a pretty commited guy and i'll always try work out every morning for 1 hour so i will put the work in! im just under 6ft and weigh between 11.5 and 12 stone and ive already noticed im closer now to 12stone..im looking to move up to around 12.5 stone. Any advice on the creatine at all would be welcome! ive upped my weights and ive all ready noticed some improvent but im still very new to supplements and any advice would be great thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

I think it's Maximuscle that's sold in Argos?

I wouldn't go near it, to be honest. In my experience, it tends to put on 'love-handles'!

Where's the best place to buy?

Thanks for the quick response btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ConfusedFella

Hi everyone,

This is my first ever post on Boards, so if this is done wrong somehow, please be kind...

Strangely enough, I don't have an address at the moment (my landlady fupped up big time), and I was looking to buy some whey protein, as I'm trying to build some muscle mass. Don't worry, I know all about eating big, lifting big etc., and I'm committed to it too.

So my question is - where's the shop (as opposed to online store) where I can get the best whey protein (price and quality-wise)?

I see Argos are doing a bit in this department - am I right to feel apprehensive about buying it from them?

I appreciate any reply - you all know better than myself, I would imagine.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Hi everyone,

This is my first ever post on Boards, so if this is done wrong somehow, please be kind...

Strangely enough, I don't have an address at the moment (my landlady fupped up big time), and I was looking to buy some whey protein, as I'm trying to build some muscle mass. Don't worry, I know all about eating big, lifting big etc., and I'm committed to it too.

So my question is - where's the shop (as opposed to online store) where I can get the best whey protein (price and quality-wise)?

I see Argos are doing a bit in this department - am I right to feel apprehensive about buying it from them?

I appreciate any reply - you all know better than myself, I would imagine.

Cheers.

Where do you live?

I havent looked at the supplements in the argos catalogue for ages but I think they do york supplements? and maximuscle. Wouldnt be my first choice to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

If in Dublin, you can get them off:

ProNutrition (Phibsboro)

Nutrition Connection (Capel St)

Supplement Store (Camden St)

There's also a nutrition store in Swords, thats related to NC

Or else just get it delivered to work or to a friends house?

York stuff... never heard anything good about it. Same for Maximuscle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 ConfusedFella

God can't believe I left out where I live... pretty essential in the context me thinks!:o

Yeah, it's Dublin, thanks for the advice and list guys... that was really quick! I'll have to have a look around those shops you listed jimmy.

Thanks again for the quick advice, it's really appreciated when you're starting out at this.:D

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Also I heard that they can lead to things like stress and mood swings
    I'd say that the people that told you that were referring to steroids rather supplements. Bad advice like that is normally borne from ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dave-smith

Hi all, im new to taking supplements and i just picked up some Pro Power Pure Creatine Monohydrate and Pro Power weight gainer from Argos on sale. Firstly it says i should only take 1 teaspoon (3-5g) of the pure creatine per day and dont exceed that but then ive read for your first week you should be taking (20-30g). Is this true? ive already noticed my strenght has improved when im benching and ive already moved up to much heavier weights i bought. Also will the weight gainer actually work for me? im a pretty commited guy and i'll always try work out every morning for 1 hour so i will put the work in! im just under 6ft and weigh between 11.5 and 12 stone and ive already noticed im closer now to 12stone..im looking to move up to around 12.5 stone. Any advice on the creatine at all would be welcome! ive upped my weights and ive all ready noticed some improvent but im still very new to supplements and any advice would be great thanks!
    Hi mate this might sound stupid i have just got the same creatine but on the tub it dosn't state how much or what to take with it. just wondering what you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

dave-smith wrote: »
    Hi mate this might sound stupid i have just got the same creatine but on the tub it dosn't state how much or what to take with it. just wondering what you do.
    Do you really need to take it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭LovetohateTV

Hi yeah! yeah i was wondering the same so i set up a new thread called "Can anyone advise me, please" the guys gave some great answer so just check that out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭BuyingorSelling

So what supplement should a footbaler take who has to do cardio 2 times a week but also does strenght training 2-3times a week also in order to maintain weight or get slightly bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Usually between 5 and 10 grams a day. Which is a heaped table spoon if i'm right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Just starting using whey for the first time today. God does it get easier to take after the first few times it has the most vile after-taste !!

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pro-Nutrition

opr wrote: »
    Just starting using whey for the first time today. God does it get easier to take after the first few times it has the most vile after-taste !!

Opr

Hi there, What brand are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Hi there, What brand are you using?

Its the stuff they had in aldi for sale last week. "Sports lab whey protein".

From a bit of research on other sites it seems to be good quailty stuff at a cheap price but most have found it not very nice to drink. To hell with as long as i get the protein and can keep it down its all good :)

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Hi all. Just a few questions. I'm a middle distance runner who runs most days combined with 3 days of gym work per week. My diet is pretty good but recently I've been contemplating taking a supplement. I've been looking at a few and have a few questions:
    Would it be sufficient to just take whey before and after my gym workouts?
    Should I take it after running?
    If Whey what whey? I was looking at either Optimum Nutrition or Nutrition x's Big Whey.
    How about nutrition x's explode II before weights and RAM afterwards?
    Would Creatine make a difference?
    As a runner I need to have the optimum power to weight ratio so could whey protein add unwanted weight?
    Finally: How much difference could a protein supplement make to my times and lifting ability?

Thanks for reading. I apologise for my naivness. I appreciate your patience and look forward to your replies.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

What about good ZMA, i find it great for sleeping after the gym, i'd be exhausted and sleep like there's no tomorrow, however i find it expensive and tough to get good reviews.

Would anybody like to recommend some ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

Jon wrote: »
    Usually between 5 and 10 grams a day. Which is a heaped table spoon if i'm right?

Tea Spoon, id say a table spoon would be about 20-25 grams :eek:

Hi all. Just a few questions. I'm a middle distance runner who runs most days combined with 3 days of gym work per week. My diet is pretty good but recently I've been contemplating taking a supplement. I've been looking at a few and have a few questions:
    Would it be sufficient to just take whey before and after my gym workouts?
    Should I take it after running?
    If Whey what whey? I was looking at either Optimum Nutrition or Nutrition x's Big Whey.
    How about nutrition x's explode II before weights and RAM afterwards?
    Would Creatine make a difference?
    As a runner I need to have the optimum power to weight ratio so could whey protein add unwanted weight?
    Finally: How much difference could a protein supplement make to my times and lifting ability?

Thanks for reading. I apologise for my naivness. I appreciate your patience and look forward to your replies.

Thank you.
    To be honest with you, you would need some carbs prior to weight for energy unless you are up to your eyes with the likes of Vapor, Explode or something like that. I personally would go with the Optimum 100% Whey or have a look at Syntha6 from BSN. Now regarding the RAM, I have to say that I would find that to be a great product, you will find that you will start to recover faster and best of all you wont be as sore the next day. So I would recommend getting some RAM into you, my favorite flavor would be Strawberry. Protein won’t make a difference to your times or lifting but it’s important to include.. Basically Protein will help you recover and build lean muscle without fat

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

To be honest with you, you would need some carbs prior to weight for energy unless you are up to your eyes with the likes of Vapor, Explode or something like that. I personally would go with the Optimum 100% Whey or have a look at Syntha6 from BSN. Now regarding the RAM, I have to say that I would find that to be a great product, you will find that you will start to recover faster and best of all you wont be as sore the next day. So I would recommend getting some RAM into you, my favorite flavor would be Strawberry. Protein won’t make a difference to your times or lifting but it’s important to include.. Basically Protein will help you recover and build lean muscle without fat

Cool. So I should take some Optimum whey before my workouts and RAM afterwards? Should I take both in the same quantity on running only days? There are no probs with taking the 2 on the same day?

• Advertisement

Cool. So I should take some Optimum whey before my workouts and RAM afterwards? Should I take both in the same quantity on running only days? There are no probs with taking the 2 on the same day?

Taking Whey prior to training yes, but you also need carbs for energy. After training get the RAM into you but will also need to take in some protein. Again on running days get carbs in before you start running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Is Viper any good lads and what exactly will it do for me???
    Taking supplement factory Whey atm before i go training (gaa, twice a week) and before i do weight training in gym (2 days a week) weight training is not a big workout, usually just a couple of free weights at low weight for longer, and sometimes before match at weekends but thats all im taking.
    Problem is that im finding myself getting soarer and finding it harder to recover, any ideas on something i can take for recovery.
    Should i take something else instead of Whey.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Does anybody have any experience with MyProtein.co.uk by the way?
    Hanley wrote: »
    A lot of english lads that post on powerliftinguk.com have a 5% discount code in their sig for myprotein which you should check out,
    I just ordered from www.myprotein.co.uk so will let you know how I get on. I think the 5% discount is for the first order only. My code is MP99441 I get some referral points or something.

I got 5% off my order using a boards members code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Is Viper any good lads and what exactly will it do for me???
    Taking supplement factory Whey atm before i go training (gaa, twice a week) and before i do weight training in gym (2 days a week) weight training is not a big workout, usually just a couple of free weights at low weight for longer, and sometimes before match at weekends but thats all im taking.
    Problem is that im finding myself getting soarer and finding it harder to recover, any ideas on something i can take for recovery.
    Should i take something else instead of Whey.

You might be better served having a good meal an hour or so before training, and having the whey afterwards.

Hi Guys, just wondering has anyone tried proform from Educohealth which you can get from the Tony Quinn outlets. Its a casein protein. It says is less fattening on the tub?Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Hi Guys, just wondering has anyone tried proform from Educohealth which you can get from the Tony Quinn outlets. Its a casein protein. It says is less fattening on the tub?Any thoughts?

TQ = Crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Dr4gul4 wrote: »
    What about good ZMA, i find it great for sleeping after the gym, i'd be exhausted and sleep like there's no tomorrow, however i find it expensive and tough to get good reviews.

Would anybody like to recommend some ?

ZMA was developed by Balco (who were major steroid providers/dealers/advisors) so not sure if publications about it's claimed benefits are true. Do you really find it helps sleep or could it be placebo?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It is very overpriced. Mixing normal whey with milk can mimic the slowed down absorption rates of casein. Also this means you can buy just whey in bulk, rather than a 2 small tubs of whey & casein.
    ZMA was developed by Balco (who were major steroid providers/dealers/advisors) so not sure if publications about it's claimed benefits are true. Do you really find it helps sleep or could it be placebo?
    I do get sleepy on it. It definitely has some hormonal effects since I always get spots about 2 days after using it, and it is a total shock since I never get spots usually!

rubadub wrote: »
    It is very overpriced. Mixing normal whey with milk can mimic the slowed down absorption rates of casein. Also this means you can buy just whey in bulk, rather than a 2 small tubs of whey & casein.

It states on the container that it contains 0% Whey. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

I have to say i do find it does help, it's a much deeper sleep.

Advertisement