Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

robindch wrote: »
    What happens when the heat gets too much in Jerusalem:

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2012/02/ff_jerusalemsyndrome/all/1

The second-last paragraph is worth waiting for.
    There’s a joke in psychiatry: If you talk to God, it’s called praying; if God talks to you, you’re nuts.

The Republican presidential candidates all said that jesus/ god talks to them. Some said that he/ she/ it told them to run for President.
    But more severe cases can lead otherwise normal housewives from Dallas or healthy tool-and-die manufacturers from Toledo to hear the voices of angels or fashion the bedsheets of their hotel rooms into makeshift togas and disappear into the Old City babbling prophecy. . . it wasn’t that long ago that one respected Israeli physician put two patients who both claimed to be the Messiah in a room together just to see what would happen. Each rabidly accused the other of being an impostor, barking fire-and-brimstone threats. . . . One of his early cases involved an Englishwoman who was so convinced the Second Coming was at hand that she climbed to the top of Jerusalem’s Mt. Scopus every morning with a cup of tea to welcome the Lord.

:D

• Moderators Posts: 51,720 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Gay marriage is not a human right, according to European ruling
    [..]the judges said there had been no discrimination.

Judges also said that if same-sex unions became lawful, any church that refuses to marry gay couples could be charged with discrimination.
    "With regard to married couples, the court considers that in view of the social, personal, and legal consequences of marriage, the applicants’ legal situation could not be said to be comparable to that of married couples," the judges added.

Haven't seen any info yet as to what reasons were given as to why it isn't a human right.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

I've no real interest in any christian pope but the selection process, of how the next coptic pope will be chosen prompted me to alert people. Be careful if going to Egypt any time soon you may end up the pope of the place. :eek:

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-03-20/africa/world_africa_egypt-coptic-pope_1_egypt-s-christian-coptic-christian-community-coptic-church?_s=PM:AFRICA
    His successor's name will be chosen by a blindfolded child from among three finalists chosen by community leaders -- a process that could take months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

koth wrote: »
    Judges also said that if same-sex unions became lawful, any church that refuses to marry gay couples could be charged with discrimination.

Do christian churches have to allow muslims couples get married in them? Do Jewish synagogues have to allow hindu couples to get married in them?

I don understand why they can't just say that homosexuals can have marriage, but not necessarily a religious marriage (if that religion doesn't allow for it). Its not like religions don't already discriminate against homosexuals in terms of employment (no gay priests) or entry to heaven.

Exactly why I'm hoping they actually have a non-religious reason for the judgement. As you say, the churches already have exemptions from discrimination legislation in other areas.

• Advertisement

Cape Town faith healing event ends in one death and 16 injuries!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/southafrica/9154179/Cape-Town-faith-healing-event-ends-in-one-death-and-16-injuries.html
    Simon Williams, a 56-year-old pastor from nearby Paarl, was taken from hospital intensive care to the event by his family. He collapsed and died from renal failure inside the stadium.

Faith killed him. Moreover, how the hell was he allowed to be discharged from the hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Moreover, how the hell was he allowed to be discharged from the hospital?
    You can't really imprison someone in hospital. Technically very little stopping someone from discharging themselves provided that they can sign the forms.
    In some jurisdictions, family may have the power to do this on the sick person's behalf.

Also depends on the country too I suppose. In this country if you told your doctor that you were discharging yourself from ICU to go to Lourdes, they'd be straight down the court to get an order to have you declared mentally incompetent or something. On the other hand if you told them you were leaving so that you could go and die at home, they might not argue.

In another country the hospital staff may turn a blind eye or even support the idea of a religious intervention.

One would hope that stories of idiocy on this level would discourage people from attending these snake-oil conventions, but most likely this man's family have rationalised the death by saying that, "God decided that rather than heal him, he would take him into His arms", or some similar nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Do christian churches have to allow muslims couples get married in them? Do Jewish synagogues have to allow hindu couples to get married in them?

I don understand why they can't just say that homosexuals can have marriage, but not necessarily a religious marriage (if that religion doesn't allow for it). Its not like religions don't already discriminate against homosexuals in terms of employment (no gay priests) or entry to heaven.

I never understood the "If gay marriage is allowed then churches will be forced to marry gay people" line of thinking. It's not like the church is the only place you can get married in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Alas, if only anti-anxiety medication had been available 2,000 years ago...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Devil's advocate here: churches which turned away black Christians would be in trouble surely? And we've discussed the odd dychotomy of gay Christians here more than once.

seamus wrote: »
    You can't really imprison someone in hospital. Technically very little stopping someone from discharging themselves provided that they can sign the forms.
    In some jurisdictions, family may have the power to do this on the sick person's behalf.

Also depends on the country too I suppose. In this country if you told your doctor that you were discharging yourself from ICU to go to Lourdes, they'd be straight down the court to get an order to have you declared mentally incompetent or something. On the other hand if you told them you were leaving so that you could go and die at home, they might not argue.

In another country the hospital staff may turn a blind eye or even support the idea of a religious intervention.

One would hope that stories of idiocy on this level would discourage people from attending these snake-oil conventions, but most likely this man's family have rationalised the death by saying that, "God decided that rather than heal him, he would take him into His arms", or some similar nonsense.

Anything is possible in Africa I suppose. They still burn witches and eat Albinos there. :(

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/03/death-toll-grows-for-african-albinos-hunted-for-witch-doctors-brews/

The family and the deceased may have put up a fight in the hospital ward. I'm visualising a vehement display of ignorance and anger, resulting in the doctor thinking "Ah feck it, why bother, let them off"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Go one step further and you have my stance, no marriage. Private contract between two people, if they wish to do something in a church they're a member of then great, they can still pose for the signing the book picture etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

mikhail wrote: »
    Devil's advocate here: churches which turned away black Christians would be in trouble surely? And we've discussed the odd dychotomy of gay Christians here more than once.
    I suppose as a private club they can allow in only the members they want to. No gays or gingers etc.
    But as a club open to and offering services to the public they might become more like a shop, which as far as I know, can't discriminate on race grounds.

In the UK they also have a state sponsored CofE so that further complicates issues there as to how private/club like it is.

Here at least, if we legalise gay marriage, then I wouldn't see a need to force churches to marry anyone they don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

mikhail wrote: »

They probably would if any ever did (has it ever been tested?). They already discriminate based on homosexuality in areas outside of marriage and they already discriminate marriage based on religion, so there is nothing stopping them discriminating against gay marriage should it be made legal.
    The whole disagreement from the churches arises from the point of view that they own the concept of marriage, that it only counts if it happens in their church under their god. Which is why I have always wondered why christians who argue that marriage only exists according the christian definition of marriage don't also argue that this means that jewish, muslim, hindu etc marriages are all invalid as they where all conducted in the wrong building, under the wrong god.

I'm of the same (or similar) opinion as amacachi: marriage is a private civil contract and should be open to all consenting citizens over 18; Weddings are ceremonies which may have religious connotations and so should have the agreement of the religious organisation you are a member of and whose buildings or services you are using (but thats not to say you can't have a wedding without religious connotations).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

When I heard about the shootings in France, I mentally chastised myself for my first reaction, which was "it's a Muslim nutter". It's too easy, because a) France's Muslim population have been under political pressure over headscarves, violence, education, and numbers of immigrants, and b) well, who else these days hates Jews with sufficient venom to explicitly target a Jewish school and shoot children?

Was I wrong in my first reaction? No:
    According to French prosecutors, he has expressed no regrets other than "not having claimed more victims" and is proud of having "brought France to its knees".

He said he had been motivated by the fate of the Palestinians, the French military presence in Afghanistan and France's ban on the full veil, prosecutor Francois Molins told reporters.

Earlier, the suspect had reportedly described himself as an Islamist warrior and member of the al-Qaeda network.

French news channel BFM TV said he was linked to Forsane Alizza (Knights of Pride), an Islamist group banned last month in France.
    :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

bnt wrote: »
    Was I wrong in my first reaction? No:

What did you think about what happened in Norway last year?

Tennessee bill protects teachers who challenge evolution and climate change

Tennessee opens the door to creationism entering the science class.
    The state legislature of Tennessee has given legal cover to public school teachers to challenge the science of evolution and climate change, in a move that looks set to deepen a debate about politicisation of the classroom.

The bill passed in the Tennessee Senate this week provides legal protection to teachers who personally do not believe in evolution or the human causes of climate change, and instead want to teach the "scientific strengths and weaknesses of existing scientific theories".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I don understand why they can't just say that homosexuals can have marriage, but not necessarily a religious marriage (if that religion doesn't allow for it).
    Its not just about religion though, its about holding the EU together, and not having its institutions make directives that member states would refuse to implement. Plenty of EU states would react against being "told" by "eurocrats" to bring in gay marriage (including Ireland). "They" will no more try to bring in a euro law on this than they will on abortion. What they will do is wait for those nations or societies to "evolve" to the point where they are willing to bring in some kind of gay civil partnerships, voluntarily, and at that stage....
    the judges said: "Where national legislation recognises registered partnerships between same sex, member states should aim to ensure that their legal status and their rights and obligations are equivalent to those of heterosexual couples in a similar situation."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,328 ✭✭✭✭Penn

koth wrote: »
    Tennessee bill protects teachers who challenge evolution and climate change

Tennessee opens the door to creationism entering the science class.
    The bill passed in the Tennessee Senate this week provides legal protection to teachers who personally do not believe in evolution or the human causes of climate change, and instead want to teach the "scientific strengths and weaknesses of existing scientific theories".

"So, son, what did you learn in school today?"
    "Whatever my teacher's own opinions were."
    "Err... will that be on the State exams at the end of the year?"
    "THE ONLY EXAM IS THE HEAVEN ENTRANCE EXAM, HEATHEN!"

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

I wonder could it be extended to cover more areas than just evolution and climate change.

For instance, could a christian religion teacher, teach the reading of islam to children, it being his/her opinion that it is the strongest active religion and that the theory of christianity is weak?

Or is it JUST scientific areas that people like to piss on?

dmw07 wrote: »
    Or is it JUST scientific areas that people like to piss on?

Of course it is. I'm sure critically assessing the weaknesses of various religions in class would be deemed 'intolerant'.
    One rule for them...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A propos of the Mahon Tribunal report yesterday, here's Pee Flynn's unforgettable performance on the Late Late Show:

A propos of the Mahon Tribunal report yesterday, here's Pee Flynn's unforgettable performance on the Late Late Show:

good ol' Gaybo, "D'ya need three houses?"

I am a little shocked. She says she is a Christian, but the Bible doesn't say anything about dinosaurs. Should I let him keep them, as long as he understands that dinosaurs aren't real? Even the PBS shows that he watches talk about dinosaurs and evolution, and how the scientists found these "bones" but the Bible doesn't say that God ever created them, and the earth is only 6,000 years old, not old enough to have "bones" that they say are MILLIONS of years old! I know that Satan tries to trick us in many ways, and this is one way that he tries to fool man into believing that there isn't a God who created the universe. How can they be bones when they are made out of ROCKS? I told my son that dinosaurs are one of Satan's many ways of tricking man, and he must talk to God before he plays with them. Am I handling this right? My first 3 were all girls, and I adopted boys, and lots of mothers tell me that boys are often attracted to these dinosaurs. So I don't know what to do. Is this just harmless fantasy play for him, or should I be worried that he may go on to believe in things like evolution?

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a2517575/my_neighbor_gave_my_8-year-old_toy_dinosaurs.

I came across a similar question on answers.com a few years ago. Maybe it's a big problem for these fools.

Does boards have a [Florida] tag?

http://freethinker.co.uk/2012/03/22/student-goes-postal-over-peacocks/

FEATHERS flew during a classroom discussion about peacocks and evolution at Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton when one student became violent and had to be subdued with a taser. It isn’t known yet whether the incident had a religious dimension. According to this report, all hell broke loose when FAU student Jonatha Carr interrupted associate Professor Stephen M Kajiura and asked:

"How does evolution kill black people?"

When Kajiura attempted to explain that evolution doesn’t kill anyone. Carr became violent.

[...etc, etc, etc...]

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Sorry if Repost, girl goes crazy in lecture on Evolution in Florida

^^^ Moved to hazards thread for obvious reasons!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

^^^ Moved to hazards thread for obvious reasons!

But its so funny !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement