Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

tumblr_lzv9oqbkXq1qlh1nvo1_500.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

So, wait. She's an elected official that wants to undermine the electoral system? Ironical.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

^^^ A female senator who disapproves of females voting?

//head explosion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

If I were her I'd study for an MBA, just cos.

Miss Mba MBA :) took me 24hrs to get it, but I got there in the end :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gbear wrote: »
    The idea of someone missing work because of their nonsensical beliefs really really annoys me for some reason.
    It's even worse in this case though as presumably the point is that she was an on-call care worker on weekends, so it simply doesn't work that she can "clock off" on Sundays because when people need help, they need help.

That she believed that observing a holy day is more important than providing care to someone in need, indicates that she is wholly unfit to occupy a position in the care industry.

Ironically, risking eternal damnation by breaching the ten commandments in order to provide care to a needy person, is something that her God would wholeheartedly endorse. Or so they tell us. But then they also tell us that moral relativism is evil.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

koth wrote: »
    Christian loses employment tribunal over Sunday working
    She said she had told her employer she had "difficulties" working on Sundays before she was employed, but did not specify they were religious.

The tribunal in Croydon found there were no viable alternatives to requiring Miss Mba to work Sundays.

Merton Council director of children schools and families, Yvette Stanley, said: "As a local authority, we have a duty to ensure our children with disabilities who need weekend care are supported by carers who are familiar with their specific needs."

Miss Mba said: "I am amazed by this decision.

"I thought that this country was a Christian country.

"I worked hard for years at my job, and to lose it because of intolerance towards my faith is shocking to me."

Miss Mba is also a keen golfer.
    Busted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Gbear wrote: »
    I've always wondered about this in relation to Euan Murray not playing for the Scottish rugby team on the "sabbath".
    Has it caused problems with his club sides?

I'm pretty sure Pep Guardiola was getting pissed off at his muslim players not eating properly during ramadan aswell.

Almost out of principal I wish these people would be sacked from their clubs.

The idea of someone missing work because of their nonsensical beliefs really really annoys me for some reason.

It's a more difficult one for me. I've thought about it and I'm undecided tbh.

In relation to Murray specifically, his stance on Sunday games, along with Mujati's form, contibuted to the cancellation of his contract at Northampton. As I remember it was by mutual consent.

Never heard anything about Muslim players and Ramadan but it'd be far more prevalent than Murray's case. Obviously it isn't much of an issue for the thousands of pro soccer players and their teams, otherwise we'd be hearing about it every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Never heard anything about Muslim players and Ramadan but it'd be far more prevalent than Murray's case. Obviously it isn't much of an issue for the thousands of pro soccer players and their teams, otherwise we'd be hearing about it every year.

Çhamakh was doing well for Arsenal last season until around Ramadan. Never got his form back and there's rumours it's down to something else but apparently they had to work around his fasting etc. and give him different training scedules and diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

CiaranMT wrote: »
    It's a more difficult one for me. I've thought about it and I'm undecided tbh.

In relation to Murray specifically, his stance on Sunday games, along with Mujati's form, contibuted to the cancellation of his contract at Northampton. As I remember it was by mutual consent.

There is no club football in Northern Ireland courtesy of the unionists. At least that used to be the case. I don't really do football so can't say if it is still the case.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

MrPudding wrote: »
    There is no club football in Northern Ireland courtesy of the unionists. At least that used to be the case. I don't really do football so can't say if it is still the case.

MrP
    What? The Irish League is small (comparable with the League of Ireland down here), but it's a bit rich to claim it doesn't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

mikhail wrote: »
    What? The Irish League is small (comparable with the League of Ireland down here), but it's a bit rich to claim it doesn't exist.

I think he means on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Richard wrote: »
    I think he means on a Sunday.

Yes, I did, sorry.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

amacachi wrote: »
    Çhamakh was doing well for Arsenal last season until around Ramadan. Never got his form back and there's rumours it's down to something else but apparently they had to work around his fasting etc. and give him different training scedules and diet.

I remember watching one of those Police, Camera Action type shows before. A policeman was chasing a criminal on foot but couldn't keep up with him. Then the policeman said that he normally would have caught the criminal, but couldn't keep up because he didn't have the energy as it was Ramadan and he was fasting.

Penn wrote: »
    but couldn't keep up because [...] he was fasting.
    Obvious not all that fasting...

//boom, boom

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

robindch wrote: »
    //boom, boom

I hope that was the sound of you throwing yourself down the stairs...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Penn wrote: »
    I remember watching one of those Police, Camera Action type shows before. A policeman was chasing a criminal on foot but couldn't keep up with him. Then the policeman said that he normally would have caught the criminal, but couldn't keep up because he didn't have the energy as it was Ramadan and he was fasting.
    BRITISH rower Mo Sbihi has said he will postpone his Ramadan fast during next year's Olympics in order to maximise his competitive chances.

As a sports science graduate who wrote his dissertation on the performance of athletes without food and water, Sbihi has made an informed choice. In rowing, an endurance event, he believes the risk of dehydration could undermine his performance.

The arrival of Ramadan this year has focused minds on how the estimated 3000 Muslim athletes expected to compete in next year's Olympics in London will fare. In 2012, Ramadan will start on 21 July - a week before the opening ceremony - and cover the entire Olympic period. Athletes are allowed to defer their fasts until a later date, but many are expected to honour the religious period and fast during daylight hours throughout the games.

Recognising that this might put some athletes at a disadvantage, the nutrition working group of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) convened a meeting in 2009 to review the evidence. They agreed that fasting could create problems in some sports, though the impacts are far from clear.

For example, studies in soccer players found no deterioration in sprinting ability or agility, but saw a fall in aerobic capacity, endurance and jumping ability (British Journal of Sports Medicine, DOI: 10.1136/bjsm.2007.071712). Another recent study in the same journal found that moderately trained Muslim men ran an average of 5448 metres in 30 minutes when fasting, but 5649 metres outside Ramadan (DOI: 10.1136/bjsm.2009.070425).

"If you're running 100 metres or weightlifting, what you eat in the few hours beforehand will have no impact on performance," says Ronald Maughan of Loughborough University, UK, who chaired the IOC working group. However, he adds that in events that last for more than about 30 minutes, or that take place late in the day, performance may suffer.

While the focus is often on food, dehydration may be more significant, says Jim Waterhouse of Liverpool John Moores University, UK. "Performance is less good, physically and mentally, if a person is dehydrated," he says.

To overcome such problems, it makes sense to schedule events early in the morning where possible, when all competitors will be well fed and hydrated, Maughan says.

Waterhouse agrees: "All studies that have been done on Ramadan have concluded that morning performance deteriorates less than afternoon performance."

A question that Islamic scholars may need to consider is just what constitutes breaking a fast. Several studies have suggested that merely rinsing the mouth with a carbohydrate drink improves performance in cycling time trials. Rather than providing calories, the carbohydrate seems to act on mouth receptors that activate areas of the brain involved in motivation and reward during exercise (Nutrition Journal, DOI: 10.1186/1475-2891-9-33). Many Muslims believe it is OK to rinse the mouth with water or mouthwash during Ramadan, as long as they don't swallow.

Even if fasting reduces performance during lab experiments, no one really knows if this equates to a slide down the medal table when it really matters. Manchester City soccer player Kolo Touré claims to have fasted through the first month of the English Premier League without consequence. Muslim athletes may even find fasting carries benefits. "Many say that the intense focus they experience during Ramadan gives them an added edge," says Maughan.

Source.

Seemed relevant to the previous discussion.:)

Church erects signage declaring "Jesus heals cancer." naturally some cancer sufferers are very pissed off.

Doesn't Jesus cause cancer too?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Doesn't Jesus cause cancer too?

No, free will causes cancer.

Somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Galvasean wrote: »
    No, free will causes cancer.

Somehow.
    God gave us free will. But if you use it, you'll get cancer.

Seems Legit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Some good news for once:

Witchcraft murder: Couple guilty of Kristy Bamu killing

A couple have been found guilty of murdering a teenager they had accused of using witchcraft.
    Eric Bikubi, 28, and Magalie Bamu, aged 29, from Newham, east London, had denied killing Bamu's 15-year-old brother Kristy.
    Kristy drowned in a bath on Christmas Day in 2010, during torture to produce exorcism, an Old Bailey jury heard.
    Bikubi had admitted manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility, but the prosecution rejected his plea.
    The pair, who were remanded in custody, are due to be sentenced on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I was going to post these in 'The Funny Side of religion', but they're not funny.

@Mods: Please move if they're in wrong thread. Thanks.

w8dwW.jpg

RQxvA.jpg

Church up the Swannee sans paddle, says Martin:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/church-at-breaking-point-says-archbishop-3038487.html

I'd quote the article for the record, but under NoShitSherlock's SOPA, I believe am prohibited from doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Church up the Swannee sans paddle, says Martin:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/church-at-breaking-point-says-archbishop-3038487.html

I'd quote the article for the record, but under NoShitSherlock's SOPA, I believe am prohibited from doing so.

I wonder if the Vatican worries about the people of Ireland turning away from the church, since they have so many other customers worldwide? There are bigger markets such as:

(In millions)
    Brazil 137
    Mexico 95
    Philippines 75
    N. America 74
    Italy 53
    France 40
    And
    Ireland 3.7-ish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_by_country

I doubt the pope is losing sleep but Martin certainly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Jernal wrote: »
    Well well, Miley might find herself a candidate for the 'Good looking atheist/agnostic' thread soon. Tis a bit bare in there at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From the New York Daily News:
    A two-week old boy died at a Brooklyn hospital in September after contracting herpes through a religious circumcision ritual that ignited controversy in 2005 after another infant died, the Daily News has learned. The unidentified infant died Sept. 28, 2011, at Maimonides Hospital, according to a spokeswoman for the city Medical Examiner, who confirmed the death after a News inquiry.
    The cause of death was listed as “disseminated herpes simplex virus Type 1, complicating ritual circumcision with oral suction.”

Circumcision is harmless, eh? :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Well well, Miley might find herself a candidate for the 'Good looking atheist/agnostic' thread soon.
    Yeah, she could probably qualify if she combed the hair and touched up those eyebrows a bit.

bnt wrote: »
    That is the most disgusting "religious practice" I have heard of for a long time :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

recedite wrote: »
    That is the most disgusting "religious practice" I have heard of for a long time :mad:

Is this right? The child died along with others because the rabbi sucked blood from his penis skin and the adult was infected with herpes and, it seems, he knew this because other children had died?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement