Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Galvasean wrote: »
    So they are charging him with blasphemy for exposing a fake miracle? You'd think they'd be happy.

Fake miracles get more people in the door than no miracles ;)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

"Swedish town rocked by second child exorcism" -- immigrants from DR Congo assault and electrocute their ten-year old daughter because of "evil spirits". Various priests up in front of the beak too:

http://www.thelocal.se/40250/20120413/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

robindch wrote: »
    "Swedish town rocked by second child exorcism" -- immigrants from DR Congo assault and electrocute their ten-year old daughter because of "evil spirits". Various priests up in front of the beak too:

as her parents tried to exorcise her from evil spirits.
    I thought it was usually the other way around

how disgusting, i don't know how anyone could do that to their own baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Seems to be a lot of that about
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/mar/01/couple-guilty-boy-murder-witchcraft?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

At Age 19, From Utah to Uganda.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/education/edlife/at-age-19-from-utah-to-uganda.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&sq=church&st=cse&scp=6

From Utah to Uganda. Seeking out the vulnerable, trying to convert them to Mormonism.
    Missionaries are slingshot into an intensive, airtight and sometimes lonely schedule of prayer, Scripture study and door-to-door proselytizing six days a week, 52 weeks a year. They are to abstain from virtually every earthly pleasure — not just the usual temptations prohibited under Mormonism, like premarital sex, alcohol, tobacco, coffee and tea, but also magazines, television and music not sanctioned by the church. They can call home two days a year, on Christmas and Mother’s Day.

Tea? /scratches head :confused:
    “It’s a lot harder to teach the people in Europe than the people in Africa,” adds Elder Lee, Elder Davis’s companion. “It’s Africa’s time.”

Again we see the uneducated/ ignorant are shown to be far more susceptible to religious teachings.

For Elder Davis, the cord was cut on a Christmas. He phoned his girlfriend of more than five years. She told him she had met someone else and was going to be married. “It happens a lot on missions,” he says.

Well then, don't go on missions. The mind boggles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Clearly one hazard of belief is a propensity to state the obvious:

Mayo TD blames unwanted babies on the act of sex

OK, lexical hilarity aside (yes, I'm aware that "fornication" traditionally means pre-marital sex), I'm actually having difficulty figuring out what she's trying to say.

Is she saying that because a child is the result of a sin, and we don't legislate for sins like greed, hate and fornication, that we shouldn't legislate for abortion?

Or is it just a spewed pile of nonsense way of saying, "If you have sex outside of marriage, tough ****, accept your baby because you're a sinner!"

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pro-marriage maybe. That's what i thought initially. She sounded like benny, with his condoms cause aids line of thought. The only thing that doesn't is marriage, so he says. Similar retarded line of thought in this woman's thinking perhaps. A mind that is completely indoctrinated so that logic is replaced with dogma, skewing rational and opinion can't function well. Pains me when i see it.

My guess, the most likely cause of unwanted pregnancies is alcohol. But let's not talk about what the real issues may be. Let's all push our agendas.

"Abortion, as murder, therefore sin, which is the religious argument, is no more sinful, from a scriptural point of view, than all other sins we don't legislate against, like greed, hate and fornication, the latter, being Fornication, I would say, is probably the single most likely cause of unwanted pregnancies in this country," she said.

That's the only way what she said makes even the least bit of sense to me. And even then I'm not sure what she's saying. I'm wondering does she even know what she meant to say:confused:

Vatican gets annoyed with nuns in the USA who are spending too much time worrying about poverty and not enough about abortion and same-sex marriage:
    The Vatican has appointed an American bishop to rein in the largest and most influential group of Catholic nuns in the United States, saying that an investigation found that the group had “serious doctrinal problems.” [...]

“I’m stunned,” said Sister Simone Campbell, executive director of Network, a Catholic social justice lobby founded by sisters. Her group was also cited in the Vatican document, along with the Leadership Conference, for focusing its work too much on poverty and economic injustice, while keeping “silent” on abortion and same-sex marriage.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/19/us/vatican-reprimands-us-nuns-group.html?_r=2&ref=todayspaper

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭robroy1234

Seamus - I believe the old phrase used to be - "its not a sin if you didn't enjoy it." Therefore my wife is free from sin and I am sinful. What makes me laugh about these religious extremists and their views on celibacy and sex, is that they forget that according to the Law of Moses it is sinful in the eyes of God not to procreate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Vatican gets annoyed with nuns in the USA who are spending too much time worrying about poverty and not enough about abortion and same-sex marriage:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/19/us/vatican-reprimands-us-nuns-group.html?_r=2&ref=todayspaper
    The verdict on the nuns group was issued by the Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which is now led by an American, Cardinal William Levada, formerly the archbishop of San Francisco.

Isn't this the congregation formerly known as the Holy Inquisition? This is unexpected. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The verdict on the nuns group was issued by the Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith...
    Meh... nobody listens to them anymore. Since they changed their name from "The Inquisition" and gave up the thumbscrew, their verdicts don't mean jack ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nobody expects... The Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith!!!

spanish_inquisition.jpg

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Boko Haram kill 7 civilians in north Nigeria: government
    MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (Reuters) - Gunmen from radical Islamist sect Boko Haram have killed at least seven civilians in the past 24 hours in a spate of attacks in northern Nigeria, police said on Thursday.

Boko Haram, which wants to carve an Islamic state out of Africa's most populous nation split evenly between Muslims and Christians, has killed hundreds in almost daily gun and bomb attacks this year.

seamus wrote: »
    In response, Independent Roscommon-South Leitrim TD Luke “Ming” Flanagan points out:
    Archbishop McQuaid’s crozier is firmly still around your necks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Boko Haram were the ones responsible for the Christmas Day bombs in Nigerian christian churches, weren't they? That was a horrible story.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Boko Haram were the ones responsible for the Christmas Day bombs in Nigerian christian churches, weren't they? That was a horrible story.

Yes, that was them.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

seamus wrote: »
    Clearly one hazard of belief is a propensity to state the obvious:

Mayo TD blames unwanted babies on the act of sex

OK, lexical hilarity aside (yes, I'm aware that "fornication" traditionally means pre-marital sex), I'm actually having difficulty figuring out what she's trying to say.

Is she saying that because a child is the result of a sin, and we don't legislate for sins like greed, hate and fornication, that we shouldn't legislate for abortion?

Or is it just a spewed pile of nonsense way of saying, "If you have sex outside of marriage, tough ****, accept your baby because you're a sinner!"

I know Michelle and since she was a councillor she has done great work. I think her solicitor speak sometimes gets in the way. But in a town where we have Darragh Calleary and Michelle Mulherin she does a lot of work. For sure she is one of the few TD's that does actually work.

A child conceved from a one night stand or a child conceived from marriage, both are still children, both human beings, both equal. Who should we legislate to allow women kill unwanted children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

qrrgprgua wrote: »
    I know Michelle and since she was a councillor she has done great work. I think her solicitor speak sometimes gets in the way. But in a town where we have Darragh Calleary and Michelle Mulherin she does a lot of work. For sure she is one of the few TD's that does actually work.

A child conceved from a one night stand or a child conceived from marriage, both are still children, both human beings, both equal. Who should we legislate to allow women kill unwanted children.

You realise that debate wasn't about abortion as a means of contraception?

In response, Independent Roscommon-South Leitrim TD Luke “Ming” Flanagan points out:

I would disagree with much, or even most, of what he says but he's dead right there.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

koth wrote: »
    Seems the mayor of London isn't too happy about the ads and has made a move to block them.

Anti-gay adverts on London buses blocked by Boris Johnson

More oppression of the poor Christians!

So Boris is an aggressive secularist, too?

Yesterday's weekly rant in the Irish Times from John Waters was a good laugh as usual. Apparently Benedict is teh greatest pope evar :pac:

Why media apparatchiks are hostile to Pope Benedict

Vatican gets annoyed with nuns in the USA who are spending too much time worrying about poverty and not enough about abortion and same-sex marriage
    Looks like the Vatican might have ruffled one too many wimples. The Vatican has said that the Leadership Conference of Women Religious (LCWR), which represents 80% of America's 57,000 nuns, is to be "reformed" over a period of five years by their man, Peter Sartain, the Archbishop of Seattle. The nun who runs the organization said:
    I don't think the bishops have any idea of what they're in for.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17794961

Watch this space.

NY teen gets prison in religious-dispute firebomb
    A Hasidic teenager was sentenced Tuesday to seven years in prison for the firebomb attack that badly burned a neighbor during a religious dispute in an insular Jewish enclave.
    Spitzer admitted that he attacked Aron Rottenberg, a plumber, outside Rottenberg's home in May. He said he did it because Rottenberg defied New Square's grand rabbi by worshiping with nursing home residents rather than at New Square's main synagogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/19/saudi-arabia-beheading-woman-withcraft
    A Sri Lankan woman could face the death penalty by beheading after she was arrested on suspicion of casting a spell on a 13-year-old girl during a family shopping trip, a police spokesman said on Wednesday.
    In December, Amnesty International condemned the beheading of a woman in Saudi Arabia convicted on charges of "sorcery and witchcraft," saying it underlined the urgent need to end executions in the kingdom.

Amnesty said the execution was the second of its kind last year. A Sudanese national was beheaded in the Saudi city of Medina in September after being convicted on sorcery charges, according to the London-based group.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

What's the deal with all this 'withcraft' stuff? How does somebody identify someone else, say a child, as being a witch?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What's the deal with all this 'withcraft' stuff? How does somebody identify someone else, say a child, as being a witch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Interesting question Galv.

Pope "Innocent" started the ball rolling on the murder of hundreds of thousands of (really) innocent human beings. By the way, Pope "Innocent" tried his best to avoid paradise during his dying days by suckling the breasts of a nursing mother and he was also given blood transfusions from 3 boys who all died in the procedure.

It will be no surprise to anyone that it was all an expense account scam. Those who were accused of witchcraft had to pay for the torturer's wine, and all the costs of the "investigation" and execution, with bonuses for each witch burned. The executed individual's estate was then divided between the church and state.

The identification process was also a scam e.g. a sudden rainstorm that occurred after a girl pulled up her stockings, a birth mark (usually sought by the priests in the genitalia area) etc., etc.

Ah yes, religion. You gotta love it.

How does somebody identify someone else, say a child, as being a witch?
    A lot closer to this than you might think:

• Advertisement

A Brazilian actor has died after accidentally hanging himself while playing Judas in an Easter Passion play.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-17817352

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement