Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

Here's what Christopher Hitchens had to say about Kony back in 2006.
    http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2006/01/hitchens200601?new
    For 19 years, Joseph Kony has been enslaving, torturing, raping, and murdering Ugandan children, many of whom have become soldiers for his "Lord's Resistance Army," going on to torture, rape, and kill other children. The author exposes the vicious insanity—and cynical politics—behind one of Africa's greatest nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hitchens hated Kony before it was cool. I liked Hitchens before he died (and therefore became cool).
    Does that make me very cool?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Galvasean wrote: »
    Hitchens hated Kony before it was cool. I liked Hitchens before he died (and therefore became cool).
    Does that make me very cool?

*glances at the forums Galv mods*

Probably not :pac:

Sonics2k wrote: »
    *glances at the forums Galv mods*

Probably not :pac:

WHHHHAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT?????????????????????????
    g1-221-desertion-of-the-dinobots-part1%20(27).gif

I'll have you know I get more ass than a toilet seat
    that is located in an abandoned factory

Not strictly a hazard of belief hazard, but these kind of things get discussed often enough here it's worth posting. Article deals with US state laws criminalising pregnant women who attempt suicide.
    http://www.thenation.com/article/166664/protect-pregnant-women-free-bei-bei-shuai
    On March 14, Bei Bei Shuai will have spent one full year in jail in Marion County, Indiana. Her crime? The prosecutor calls it attempted feticide and murder. What it really is: attempting suicide while pregnant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Galvasean wrote: »
    WHHHHAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT?????????????????????????
    g1-221-desertion-of-the-dinobots-part1%20(27).gif

I'll have you know I get more ass than a toilet seat
    that is located in an abandoned factory

Completely off-topic, but I recently watched the original animated movie from decades ago.

It was awful, and I loved every moment of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Inhofe: Well actually the Genesis 8:22 that I use in there is that ‘as long as the earth remains there will be seed time and harvest, cold and heat, winter and summer, day and night,’ my point is, God’s still up there. The arrogance of people to think that we, human beings, would be able to change what He is doing in the climate is to me outrageous.

Because god! (puts fingers in ears) "La la la la la la can't hear you". What a skidmark this f*cktard is!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

<yt>EKd6UJPghUs<yt>

Inhofe: Well actually the Genesis 8:22 that I use in there is that ‘as long as the earth remains there will be seed time and harvest, cold and heat, winter and summer, day and night,’ my point is, God’s still up there. The arrogance of people to think that we, human beings, would be able to change what He is doing in the climate is to me outrageous.

Because god! (puts fingers in ears) "La la la la la la can't hear you". What a skidmark this f*cktard is!

I'm literally........stuck for words.:eek:

Jernal wrote: »
    I'm literally........stuck for words.:eek:

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/james-inhofe-says-bible-refutes-climate-change?rss

It gets worse:
    Inhofe: There’s another piece of Scripture I’ll mention which I should’ve mentioned, no one seems to remember this, the smartest thing the activists did in trying to put their program through is try to get the evangelicals on their side, so they hired a guy named Cizik, and he had his picture in front of Vanity magazine dressed like Jesus walking on water. He has been exposed since then to be the liberal that he is. I would say that the other Scripture that I use quite frequently on this subject is Romans 1:25, ‘They give up the truth about God for a lie and they worship God’s creation instead of God, who will be praised forever.’ In other words, they are trying to say we should worship the creation. We were reminded back in Romans that this was going to happen and sure enough it’s happening.

What have Liberals got to do with anything?

Oh look. Those silly people are trying to look after their home planet. :confused:

This guy is probably being rewarded handsomely to downplay the issue of Global Warming. It's all about the Benjamins ($$$$$$).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Stoned to death for being an emo: NINETY Iraqi students killed for having 'strange hair and tight clothes'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2112960/90-students-Iraq-stoned-death-having-Emo-hair-tight-clothes.html

Al-Bayaty said the killings appear to have been carried out by extremist Shia militias in mostly poor Shia neighborhoods and said she suspected 'there's complicity of the Ministry of Interior in the killings.'
    A group of armed men dressed in civilian clothing led dozens of teenagers to secluded areas a few days ago, stoned them to death, and then disposed their bodies in garbage dumpsters across the capital, according to activists, activists told the Cairo-based al-Akhbar website.
    The armed men are said to belong to 'one of the most extremist religious groups' in Iraq.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Stoned to death for being an emo: NINETY Iraqi students killed for having 'strange hair and tight clothes'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2112960/90-students-Iraq-stoned-death-having-Emo-hair-tight-clothes.html

Al-Bayaty said the killings appear to have been carried out by extremist Shia militias in mostly poor Shia neighborhoods and said she suspected 'there's complicity of the Ministry of Interior in the killings.'
    A group of armed men dressed in civilian clothing led dozens of teenagers to secluded areas a few days ago, stoned them to death, and then disposed their bodies in garbage dumpsters across the capital, according to activists, activists told the Cairo-based al-Akhbar website.
    The armed men are said to belong to 'one of the most extremist religious groups' in Iraq.

Killed over a hair style? Animals. Absolutely disgusting. That has to be the worst way to die. Really doesn't bare thinking about. :(

Poor kids :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

biko wrote: »
    Stoned to death for being an emo
    Jeez, what a hideous end.

Though it makes the punks in Indonesia looks well-treated by comparison:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/gallery/2011/dec/14/police-arrest-punks-indonesia#/?picture=383286323&index=1
    http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/world-news/police-give-punks-a-forced-haircut-2963594.html

A few years back, a well-known poster in the Other Forum talked at length, and on quite a few occasions, about the moral failures of punks and the anti-family attitude of kid goths. I'm intrigued to know whether any of these (western) people ever have second thoughts when they see others, as religiously fanatical as they are, actually carrying out the moral remedies that they hope for? Do they ever stop to think?

• Moderators Posts: 51,745 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

koth wrote: »
    I do hope NASA wins. His colleagues complained about being harassed by his proselatisation and he wasn't rehired when his contract expired. It seems like an open and shut case to me.

Is this going to cost NASA money? DeGrasse Tyson will NOT be happy about funding being diverted away from space missions to fight a nut case in court.

I hope they throw the case out and fine him for being stupid and annoying.

Church of England owns marriage says member of gerontocracy:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/church-approval-needed-for-gay-marriage-says-archbishop-of-york-7561456.html

The gerontocrat said that the country's elected leader would be acting "like a dictator", presumably unless he was stopped by an unelected elderly man and his similarly unelected mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

robindch wrote: »
    Church of England owns marriage says member of gerontocracy:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/church-approval-needed-for-gay-marriage-says-archbishop-of-york-7561456.html

The gerontocrat said that the country's elected leader would be acting "like a dictator", presumably unless he was stopped by an unelected elderly man and his similarly unelected mates.
    I don't think they will get too far with that. One of the most important tenets of the British constitution is that no parliament can bind another. So, the fact that there has been an act of parliament in the past saying a particular thing is no bar to the current government passing legislation to change it. Additionally, there will be nothing to stop a future government changing it back or changing it to something else.

There are complications when the act is considered to be constitutional, joining the EU for example, these are more binding but can still be changed. I don't think the particular act mentioned are constitutional. Adam Wagner (check out the UK Human Rights Blog, it is very interesting) seems to think it will not be an issue.

MrP

• Advertisement

:mad:http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/03/14/200577.html
    A 16-year-old Moroccan girl has committed suicide after a judge ordered her to marry her rapist, according to Moroccan media reports.
    Should point out that the judge may have pressured her and her family into this rather than forced marriage being explicitly codified in Moroccan law.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

muppeteer wrote: »
    :mad:http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/03/14/200577.html

Should point out that the judge may have pressured her and her family into this rather than forced marriage being explicitly codified in Moroccan law.

Just read it there. :mad:

Thankfully the wave of democracy should start to make this kind of barbarity a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Gbear wrote: »
    Just read it there. :mad:

Thankfully the wave of democracy should start to make this kind of barbarity a thing of the past.

Why should it? Democracy is essentially mob rule. In a democracy if enough people demand it then they must get their wish.

• Moderators Posts: 51,745 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

"If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay her father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives". deuteronomy22

The text seems ambiguous as to whether the 50 shekels is still payable if the girl dies before the rapist has had a chance to pay over the money. Still, its the word of god.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Fortyniner

recedite wrote: »
    "If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay her father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives". deuteronomy22

The text seems ambiguous as to whether the 50 shekels is still payable if the girl dies before the rapist has had a chance to pay over the money. Still, its the word of god.

Now how should this be applied to an Irish catholic priest?? Probably best just to cover it up and move him on....

The Vatican gets serious and launches a rare "criminal investigation".

This investigation will try to figure out who leaked documents alleging cronyism, nepotism and corruption amongst Vatican officials.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17410490

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

For a moment there I thought the investigation would try to root out cronyism, nepotism and corruption amongst Vatican officials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

"grave acts of disloyalty"?

Oh dear. Loyalty is great and all, but putting it before things like integrity, justice, all the child rape stuff... that's not good.

Not surprising, really.

• Advertisement

What happens when the heat gets too much in Jerusalem:

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2012/02/ff_jerusalemsyndrome/all/1

The second-last paragraph is worth waiting for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement