Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afghan hunger strike in St Patricks.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Cork wrote:
    Fair play to the government standing up to these people.

How many countries did they pass thru before they reached Ireland they then had every legal avenue open to them. Then they resort to hurger strike and threat.

The government is 100% right on this one.

Is it true about the 2 rival gangs of students yesterday?

look yes there as likley to get deported to some other european country as they are afghanistan at the moment but that won't solve the problem, they still be stuck in hostel or camps, prevented from working for years on end and it won't improve their situation or the one in afghanistan either.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 hiberno

This is such a well orchestrated stunt that is going to cause more problems, especially if they get away with it. Turn off the publicity, chuck them out and let the people who have made the effort to maintain St. Patrick's as a place of worship regain use of it. If this was a mosque they'd have been thrown out on Monday and we'd never have heard of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

I think those in indymedia / rar & co are equally to blame for not level setting these people about what their entitlements and responsibilities are with respect to claims for asylum.

I have a hard time thinking that any group of people could be so arrogant and presumptious were it not based on bogus information. I have lived and worked abroad before and the thoughts of behaving like this against a foreign government are absolutely mind blowing - it really is bordering on terrorism in my honest opinion.

For whatever reason they mistook Irish hospitality as a sign of weakness - they thought that the Irish Govt would be a pushover and that they could dictate terms to the people & government of the land that they are a guest in. I think a lot of the blame for this lies with the do-gooder uber PC crowd encouraging this 'spoilt brat' mentality.

BTW just noticed that the indymedia comments page :

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/76174

is deleting any posts which questions these mens right to behave in this manner. Not so independent media after all is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

Looks like this is all over - finally.

From http://www.indymedia.ie/article/76186
    "
    Sunday Independent Fans the Flames
    by reader Sat May 20, 2006 21:53
    Just picked up a sindo. Front page headline: "Afghan says: "I am a rapist and killer".

No named sources provided: "He is understood to have stated on his written application form" is all the evidence provided.

The Sindo are scum.

audio report
    by Kevin - imc éire Sat May 20, 2006 21:55
    recorded phone call live from the scene

900 kb download mp3

report from what's going on at the moment (9:45pm)

All reports from scene relayed by B & K
    by Jon - 1 of Indymedia Ireland Editorial Group Sat May 20, 2006 22:12
    Minors appear to have been removed from the Cathedral
    2 GNIB vans have moved to Cathedral so seems they are going to attempt to take everyone out
    Public Order Cops present appear to have no ID

report from E
    by Jon - 1 of Indymedia Ireland Editorial Group Sat May 20, 2006 22:19
    Islamic cultural Centre interpretors state " This was a negotiated choice".
    Phone call from inside has said different.
    People unclear as to the reality.

LINK -Texas National Guard Start to Question Going from Invading Afghanistan to Border Patrol
    by Say Whaaaaaa? Sat May 20, 2006 22:20
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060520/ap_on_re_us/immigra...guard

Related Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060520/ap_on_re_us/immigra...guard
    ALL MEN TAKEN BY GARDAI
    by Relayer Sat May 20, 2006 22:23
    All of the men have been taken out of the Cathedral by riot police on their way to the Bridewell.

Update of situation
    by seedot (by way of ch.) Sat May 20, 2006 22:28
    Hunger strikers are coming out one by one and being arrested. They are not resisting but are not going willingly. There are about 200 people out on the street, with a 2:1 ratio of the hunger-strikers supporters and those calling for their deportation / death / whatever. Apart from a brief scuffle, there has been no trouble, but a number of heated exchanges.

"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

about time too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The men will appear in court at 11:30 tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

A great victory over the forces of Political-Correctness and the radical left.

Yes, and whats more it will put ppl off taking similar action in the future. Although I dont know what they are going to charge them with. Also we have no guarentees the hunger strike is in fact over although id hazard a guess it is:D :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Im after coming back from the scene and i have to say i "interviewed" nearly every person there the amount of people hanging on the fence was shocking a lot of people had no opinion even tho they were there!!!!! mind u some people were of the opinion that they should be allowed to stay but others said they should be ****ed off to where they come from!!! facinating stuff!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Great victory for whoever wanted this result!

• Advertisement

Giblet wrote:
    Great victory for whoever wanted this result!

It is the best possible result. We have proven we are no soft touch and wont (unlike the Belgains and the French) give in to blackmail. Kunle must have a lump in his throat - MC DOWELL IS COMING FOR YOU NEXT:D :D

Fair play to McDowell. He gets my vote at the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

darkman2 wrote:
    It is the best possible result. We have proven we are no soft touch and wont (unlike the Belgains and the French) give in to blackmail. Kunle must have a lump in his throat - MC DOWELL IS COMING FOR YOU NEXT:D :D

Fair play to McDowell. He gets my vote at the next election.

I normially view McDowell as an assh0le and d!ckhead but I've new found respect for the man now! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Catney

Think i'll make myself a cheese sandwich to celebrate!!

I just hope they caught the end of the eurovision.

Hard luck Hallehujah!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Catney wrote:
    Think i'll make myself a cheese sandwich to celebrate!!

I just hope they caught the end of the eurovision.

Hard luck Hallehujah!!!!!
    Hard ROCK Hallelujah. Close but still a stretch.

Its great that McDowell held firm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

Indeed :D

Notice how they didn't commit suicide? ****ing pansies...! heheh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭AngryAnderson

Well, the system works. Which is something we should all take comfort in. To anyone who thought that we should have broken our own rules because we were being threatened - shame on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭juslookin

Is it true that Rosanna Flynn is English ?

What is her background ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 hiberno

This was a result for justice over deliberate media hype. This kind of carry on should never have been let happen and was too well orchestrated to be the work of those at a last chance saloon. I smiled at what Doleman wrote, after all the talking up and fearmongering about Taliban criminals splattering themselves on the sacred tile and stone of St. Patrick's, they proved themselves to be the liars they always were. Now the government has to follow the hardworking German model, when an "asylum seeker" lands in an airport or at a port from another EU country, send them back to the point of origin, it'll save the country a lot of hassle and when there are genuine seekers they'll have less hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

DOLEMAN wrote:
    Indeed :D

Notice how they didn't commit suicide? ****ing pansies...! heheh

They were never going to commit suicide! That was a bluff and was nicely called by the Gardai. I now comes to light that we had rapists and murderers in their midst. These people do not have guts.

Somebody gave them the message that we are a soft touch, maybe the Rosanna woman or perhaps the read indymedia.:p

I just hpoe that they will be convicted as charged and included in that should be child abuse! Then they can be sent back to where the come from to answer for crimes they committed there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Can someone gimme a link about the rapists and murderers? Danke!

• Advertisement

In fairness, if we didn't believe that they genuinely faced persecution, why are we all so quick to believe a report carried in the Sindo that two were rapists? Even if set out in their applications, those documents are hardly known for containing understatements.

Don't get me wrong, I was in favour of their removal, but I take the rapist angle with a pinch of salt frankly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

Last night was fantastic - down with the PC-brigade (and that includes you Ag Marbh). It has been a great victory over the lefties, Rosanna Flynn and the do-gooders. Rosanna Flynn / Joe Costello others should go and bury their heads for a while. Just imagine if Labour held the Justice portfolio - Costello would have given into their demands in minutes - don't ever vote for them!

I happened to be at the Cathedral yesterday evening - it's great to see the Gardai handled it superbly. We are not going to be intimidated by this ****e.

Now we tougher Asylum regulations - these Taliban scum deserve none of our protection! Remember we only getting drips of information about these men -I wonder what else we are going to find out. The great irony is that they have probably ruined their chances of an appeal to the Minister

Again, I am happy that the matter has been dealt with correctly and McDowell deserves credit for the way he handled it.

But I'm glad to see so many people rejoice about the prospect of sending kids back to Afghanistan so they can make some ridicolous points about the PC Brigade on an internet site.

This whole affair is sad, let's not all dance on the graves no doubt one or two returnees will end up in.

Again, I am happy that the matter has been dealt with correctly and McDowell deserves credit for the way he handled it.

But I'm glad to see so many people rejoice about the prospect of sending kids back to Afghanistan so they can make some ridicolous points about the PC Brigade on an internet site.

This whole affair is sad, let's not all dance on the graves no doubt one or two returnees will end up in.

The kids going back is not the problem, it's the adults! The seem to be a spineless bunch who thought we were a soft touch and their ploy backfired on them. They are now out on bail and I wonder who put the money up for that!

By their own admissions some of them were part of the Taliban government who repressed their womenfolk. It is interseting to note that there were no women involved in their debacle. The would of course flee with good reason based on their past activity and as women do not figure high on their respect list they leave them behind to fend for themselves. Spineless!!!

As far as dancing is concerned I am sure that these buckos were doing some neat Taliban set dances on graves whilst they were holding the cudgel.

This will blow over in a few days when public interest wanes and hopefully they will be returned as swiftly as possible to their homeland either to enjoy the liberties that are being claimed by the USA and UN or pay for any crimes that were committed.

Heinrich wrote:
    The kids going back is not the problem, it's the adults! The seem to be a spineless bunch who thought we were a soft touch and their ploy backfired on them. They are now out on bail and I wonder who put the money up for that!

But the kids will be returned too. Is that something we should all feel real good about? And this is not some macho thing about having a backbone or not, are we so twisted that we call them cowards because they didn't slit their wrists? That's just weird. Would we collectively drool at the sight of a little blood or maybe a few kids swinging at the end of a rope? I just find the whole thing depressing, and while the legally right approach was taken and the right result achieved, there are no winners in this.

As for bail, I presume the judge fixed recogs as opposed to setting cash bail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭the_dart

"Is it true that Rosanna Flynn is English ?

What is her background ?"

Who cares what country she's from. What we can confirm, is that she's stupid and nobody listens to her.

But the kids will be returned too. Is that something we should all feel real good about? And this is not some macho thing about having a backbone or not, are we so twisted that we call them cowards because they didn't slit their wrists? That's just weird. Would we collectively drool at the sight of a little blood or maybe a few kids swinging at the end of a rope? I just find the whole thing depressing, and while the legally right approach was taken and the right result achieved, there are no winners in this.

As for bail, I presume the judge fixed recogs as opposed to setting cash bail.

Cowards not because the did not commit suicide but because of what they were engaged in previously and also the fact that they left to women to their own devices. The youths will not come to any harm if they have not been involved in inhuman activity.

Nobody was going to be swinging off those "ropes" which are too thick to be able to make any sort of a knot. This was a big bluff which did not work.

Why should there be "winners in this"? These guys came and took over a cathedral, depriving the faithful their right to worship. These guys claim to have strong religious beliefs whilst depriving other religions of theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

Conor - you seen to be one of the few concerned people here! Most of us are delighted that these chancers (potential war criminals) have been ejected from the church. We are lucky that we have a strong Minister in Michael Mc Dowell - I will never vote for Labour after Costello's support for those chancers. I see on Indymedia someone posted "don't read the newspapers" - these no border enthusiasts have suffered a massive blow.

The great thing about this incident is that it destroyed RAR's campaign - they have close to zero credibility - especially Mark Grehan and Rosanna Flynn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

I've asked this question already elsewhere but I'll ask it again, were these "men" muslim? if so then why didn't they go on hunger strike in the mosque? they said that they feared for their lives if they returned to their own country, well bub, you reap what you sow, and we shouldn't be expected to take up the tab. How can we possibly accept "refugees" into this country if they openely put on their application "rape and murder" (it reminds me of the scene from blazing saddles when all the baddies are lined up lol) if you're being percecuted in your homeland and seek a better life elsewhere then that's fair enough, but if you're the percecutor and get ousted from power, don't expect any sympathy chief.

Rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭juslookin

the_dart wrote:
    "Is it true that Rosanna Flynn is English ?

What is her background ?"

Who cares what country she's from. What we can confirm, is that she's stupid and nobody listens to her.

I've read that she is English and I would like to find out more.

The English / British people were never asked if they wanted a "multi-cultural" society. (And yes of course lots of people were never asked if they wanted to be part of the British Empire ... but of course people cannot be held individually responsible for the actions of their ancestors). It has been imposed upon them. There is no going back.

Mass immigration to Britain has completely different set of issues to mass immigration to Ireland. The first wave of mass immigration to Britian within modern history was mainly from the British Empire, it was legal, clear cut, ecomomically viable, manageable and the immigrants made efforts to integrate into the law and culture of the land.

The current mass immigration of the 80s / 90s is not clear cut, it is illegal, it is done by breaking bending and twising the law, unmanageable, economically unviable and concerningly it is more like colonisation, where there seems to be a belief that people have a "right" to establish enclaves and change that the rules and morals of the law of the country be changed to suit them. Rather than respect the laws of the land, the land should respect the beliefs of the incomers. (You may not be aware that their are calls that certain areas of the UK should adopt Sharia Law)

I think it is highly concerning if, as it appears, British political agitators are attempting to impose a certain British Leftist immigration model and theory on Ireland, rather than an Irish solution for by and for Irish people.

They don't "owe" anybody anything.

Ireland has fought to establish their own set of culture and laws. The Irish people have fought long and bloody battles for self determination.

It would be crazy after getting this far to throw it all away for dodgy and unpricipled "human rights" lawyers and activists, and foreign chancers and criminals.

If British political agitators are trying to impose their beliefs on Ireland's future immigration and culture, treating Ireland as an annexe of the UK, that's just as "racist" as what they claim to oppose.

By 2010 in London the indiginous British population will be a minority, further cities will follow rapidly between 2010 and 2020 and by 2100 the indiginous population of the UK will be a minority. Those figures were based on projections from the 2000 censcus and were "official", did not include the "illegal" and "unknown" population, which may run into millions. Arguably, taking into account the growth rate since 2000 and the unnacounted figures, those projections will shorten. Carribeans and Asians settled in the UK from 1950. Africans are part of the more recent wave of mass immigration. Currently here are as many 1 million afrcians in the UK and have overtaken the Carribean populaton (iimigrant and UK born descendants), and it is projected by 2010 that Africans will be the single largest ethnic group in the UK, which given the size of the 50 year established Asian population which is still increasing through legal and illegal immigration, is remarkable.

The impact of this demographic shift amongst 60 million is quite different than amongst 5 million.

Just because Britain has arguably gone to pot and the lunatics have been allowed to take over the asylum, with regard to the collapse of control over legal and managed migration policies, it does not follow that Ireland has to do the same. I'm wondering what this woman's agenda is.

Advertisement