Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Laptop for Euro399 incl VAT and del

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

Is the Celeron M processor considerably slower than the Pentium M? Is there certain applications or functionality where you will really notice the difference?

Is it mainly only if you are a game player that its worth the extra money?

Thanks
    C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭quon

caster wrote:
    Is the Celeron M processor considerably slower than the Pentium M? Is there certain applications or functionality where you will really notice the difference?

Is it mainly only if you are a game player that its worth the extra money?

Thanks
    C

As far as I'm aware there are 2 differences between the Celeron M and its equivalent Pentium M. These are:

1. It has half the L2 cache of the Pentium M.
    2. It has SpeedStep disabled.

Other than that I think they are one and the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Just ordered one for me girlfriend :)

got the 1.5ghz with 14.1 inch screen and the Wireless option added for 425 euro :)

Hope she likes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Jesus! Can you train my boyfriend - !!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

quon wrote:
    As far as I'm aware there are 2 differences between the Celeron M and its equivalent Pentium M. These are:

1. It has half the L2 cache of the Pentium M.
    2. It has SpeedStep disabled.

Other than that I think they are one and the same.

Also i heard that when CPUs are made and tested, the ones that pass the more stringent testing go on to be Pentiums and the ones that pass but not as well are Celerons
    Dont quote me on that, could be a whole load of bollocks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Caco wrote:
    Also i heard that when CPUs are made and tested, the ones that pass the more stringent testing go on to be Pentiums and the ones that pass but not as well are Celerons

Yep, tis a load of the bollocks :D

Completely different chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭keithclancy

bubby wrote:
    Jesus! Can you train my boyfriend - !!

Heh .. its her 21st! and the laptop she has was made in 1998.... she has room for a bunch of mp3s and a movie ... and the battery lasts about 10 minutes.

Your only 21 once .. arra the europeans don't celebrate it at all .. and hence were all goin to germany to show the krauts how to drink. (shes going to college in bonn)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Caco wrote:

You don't work in PC World do you? :D

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Does it have a serial port?

Me and Dad are thinking of getting one each:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Just out of curiosity, how long are your batteries lasting on these Laptops?

• Advertisement

I have read somewhere thats its around 2 hours. I dont know if that was with the 4 cell or 6 cell battery.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

I get around 3hrs on the 6 cell

Great!

What did you enter in the company field?

Just AIB lol worked a charm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I've gotten just shy of 2 hours on the 4-cell. That's with the screen on maximum brightness (I was outside in the sun and at full brightness the display wasn't too bad at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

i think ive got more than 3 hours on 6 cell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Can anyone tell me if these babies have a firewire port as I need one to hook up my camcorder

Cheers

cubix wrote:
    Can anyone tell me if these babies have a firewire port as I need one to hook up my camcorder

Cheers
    No they dont sorry bro.

Cheers IPD, is there slots in this laptop to take those credit card size jobbies in the side

Cubix

Yes there is a ExpressCard slot, not to be confused with the more common PCMIA.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that,whats the advantage to the ECS over a PCMIA slot do you know. Off hand do you know if they make ECS firewire cards

Cubix

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

You don't work in PC World do you? :D

Haha! No no! :p
    I was just misinformed and now im glad ive been corrected cos i didnt know if it was true!

yea i also want to get express card, any idea where to get for cheap? are they 802.11g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

All gone then, yeah? :( Damn.

By the way got a netgear wireless PCMCIA for £7 new off eBay (worked out about €14 with shipping).

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

cianclarke wrote:
    All gone then, yeah? :( Damn.

By the way got a netgear wireless PCMCIA for £7 new off eBay (worked out about €14 with shipping).

Cian ... don't confuse people .. PCMCIA card will not work with the Inspiron 1300. The Inspiron 1300 does not have a PCMCIA slot, only an Express card Slot.
    Yes there is a ExpressCard slot, not to be confused with the more common PCMIA.

yep express only,

just received loads of free software for persisting with dvd problem:) even received windows back up disc and you have to pay for that now when ordering from dell:):)

no all i have to do is get through to rep:)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

bubby wrote:
    Having two of these in the family - I have been searching for the best deal for ram.

This looks like the right ram - not too sure though:

Corsair® Value Select 1GB SODIMM PC4200 DDR2 533MHz 200pin

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=9854&GroupID=61

This works out at 77.5742 euros

Did anyone try out this RAM on the Inspiron 1300? Is it defo the right one?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Hi Guys

Gonna be using this for a bit of college work but mainly just for surfing the internet.

Gonna add the 15.4 screen and wireless .... anything else i should add ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

opr wrote:
    Hi Guys

Gonna be using this for a bit of college work but mainly just for surfing the internet.

Gonna add the 15.4 screen and wireless .... anything else i should add ?

Thanks

Just looked through the thread guess i am a bit late for this offer :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The prices on that laptop have gone way up :( , I cannot get them below €500 incl vat and delivery

Advertisement