Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Laptop for Euro399 incl VAT and del

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

shortys94 wrote:
    link?
    wtf its changed back now... why would they do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Use your brains lads, adding a stick of RAM wont void your warranty. The vendor will only support the machine in original (or authorised upgrade) configuration though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I've pulled a 256MB stick of memory out of one of these laptops. Anybody interested for 20 euros?

irishpimipdude the link was never there, maybe you were seeing things:P

• Advertisement

It was there i even clicked on customise... is said Now from 399 In a black font!

maybe you saw the dimension model for 399?

anyway, is this laptop worth the 399? Im considering getting it but may upgrade to 6 cell battery, 512 ram and 15 inch screen......

No seriously! it was the inspiron 1300, had a cdrw24x/dvdrom... dont know why its gone now though :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ilobrim

animaal wrote:
    I've pulled a 256MB stick of memory out of one of these laptops. Anybody interested for 20 euros?

i`ll buy it from you. pm your contact details

is this a good deal??? doesnt seem to be many people posting on it today....
    i may get one tonight, what kind of warranty comes with it?

i dont need wireless but i think ill upgrade to 6 cell battery, are the 6 cells muich better?

is there a slot for it to be upgradable to 512ram?
    anyone?

• Advertisement

shortys94 wrote:
    is this a good deal??? doesnt seem to be many people posting on it today....
    i may get one tonight, what kind of warranty comes with it?

i dont need wireless but i think ill upgrade to 6 cell battery, are the 6 cells muich better?

is there a slot for it to be upgradable to 512ram?
    anyone?
    Tbh yea its a good deal but only if you want a basic basic laptop! and yes you can stick another 256mb ram in to make it 512... and yea the 6 cell is worth the extra few quid :) im wondering what the story on there online tracking is.. cause it says mine should arrive tomorrow but it is still in pre-production since the 4th anyone know if it should arrive or have had like this prob before?

yea, should i upgrade the screen? if i dont is the 14 inch good enough? lol first laptop:P

thanks for info about ram

also, would it be good for dvds, listenin to music and web browsing? And maybe some light counter strike play

how mnay usb ports? and how much are tv tuners to get for laptops?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Sharp

Have a look at this thread about the Ram.

Here

shortys94 wrote:
    yea, should i upgrade the screen? if i dont is the 14 inch good enough? lol first laptop:P

thanks for info about ram

also, would it be good for dvds, listenin to music and web browsing? And maybe some light counter strike play

how mnay usb ports? and how much are tv tuners to get for laptops?
    my first laptop too :) i upgraded the screen,wireless and dvdrw :) im supposed to be getting it today lol... and as for tv tuners hmm... think you can get a usb one check them out here http://komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10420&sortBy=p&minprice=&maxPrice=

yea i dont want dvdrw just dvd or wireless, but is the screen god at 14 inch? i mean its alright if i dont upgrade or is it a big loss?

Yeah it will be alright... but the 15.4" is just a luxury!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

shortys94 wrote:
    yea i dont want dvdrw just dvd or wireless, but is the screen god at 14 inch? i mean its alright if i dont upgrade or is it a big loss?

The 14 inch is still fine. As for light Counter Strike play - yes, but you'll need to upgrade the RAM to at least 512 to play it - the Graphics card is integrated and will eat into your ram to actually run CS so 256mb ram wouldn't be enough (I assume you mean CS:Source - CS original will run no probs on that spec)

And added to that it prob won't look very pretty so don't be planning on gaming much (except old games of course which will be fine)

Looks like i wont be getting my lappy today :( just rang them up... another 2-3 working days its only going into production! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,675 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Sponge Bob wrote:
    If you click here , it will cost €469 Including DVD RW and Wireless and otherwise specced as Walshski said in the OP

Hints

1. Reduce warranty to 90 days to get the €469 price
    2. State your employer, make sure its a big bank or university eg UCD or AIB

Seems to have gone up a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

yep, by about €50 to €515 :( .

here is a new link, 15.4" monitor as standard instead of 14" and €501 all in , again select 90 days warranty and state you work for a bank like BoI

• Advertisement

yea im orderin in awhile, upgrading 4 cell to 6 cell battery although the slaes person said there was a delay on the 6 cells.......

could anyone tell me the ports on the laptop? like how many usb ports etc

shortys94 wrote:
    yea im orderin in awhile, upgrading 4 cell to 6 cell battery although the slaes person said there was a delay on the 6 cells.......

could anyone tell me the ports on the laptop? like how many usb ports etc
    ah thats prob why mine only went into production today...

maybe but its only a one or two day delay so maybe not......
    im not gonna upgrade warranty, i think you get a 90 day with it, and i found out theres three usb ports and an ethernet port...... so seems pretty good

just ordered, and after all the hastle of some dell sales reps telling me that the ram was not upgradable, and there was no ethernet port i finally got a rep which told the truth and even checked up on the net to be 100 percent sure that the ram was upgradable. then my mums credit card didnt go through because it has to be authorised and you cant make calls from cell phones to mbna, so so so much hastle buying over phone, so now i have to send bank draft, would credit transfer be quicker? the rep said the order will be alright because theres a SIX DAY delay on 6 cell batteries........ o well hope i it all goes well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭tallaghtdave

sounds like a lot of hastle man..
    i ordered one with the sireless. now as i didnt tick on the back up cd .would i need drivers or anything for the wireless card?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

sounds like a lot of hastle man..
    i ordered one with the sireless. now as i didnt tick on the back up cd .would i need drivers or anything for the wireless card?

Download the drivers from the Dell site and make your own CD.

so i take it i need the drivers on it before i use the wireless?
    so i cant use the wireless on till i get them?
    would anyone have a direct link to the drivers for that exact wireless card i have not mine in post yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Dell will have all the drivers pre-installed, and they will also be backed up along with an OS image on a separate partition on the harddrive.
    The only time you will need the drivers will be if you choose to wipe the disk and do a fresh install, which IMO is a necessary move with dells, since there's a lot of trialware on there.
    Note you will need a physical copy of the OS to install it...factory reset will reinstall everything including the trialware which defeats the purpose.

fair play to u . taken note of the above cheers lad.

• Advertisement

yea i think its the windows back up disc or something i ordered with it

Advertisement