Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Laptop for Euro399 incl VAT and del

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Where can you get extra memory for this? I was told that 512 would be recommended but would cost 115 more??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

shop4memory, crucial.co.uk, OCuk, eBay (but be cautious)...just use a memory configurator to make sure you're getting the right type. You'll need SODIMM not desktop RAM, and it's pretty easy to fit.
    Shouldn't cost you much more than 40-50 quid for another 256mb stick and if you keep your eyes open on the FS forums here, they pop up from time to time for much less.

[edit] DDR2 PC2-4200 • CL=4 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR2-533 • 1.8V in your choice of module size, crucial have the 256mb for €30 + €8 delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

yea lol dell were charging 115 for 512 when you can get it around 40 on shop4memory

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

mine arrived yesterday-for the record it uses an express card for wireless access not the standard pcmia card though obviously usb is still an option

yea i have got a wireless dongle except i dont really want wireless so i didnt order itm what the difference between the express and pcmia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

pjproby wrote:
    mine arrived yesterday-for the record it uses an express card for wireless access not the standard pcmia card though obviously usb is still an option
    Do they deliver on weekends? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

out of 10 what do you give it?

it looks very well-nice finish-i took the smaller screen and it looks terrific-i need it for a particular purpose and it suit my needs perfectly.

arrived saturday morning

the difference between the express and the normal pcmia is that the normal one does not fit into the express slot
    unfortunately

Didnt know that, where can you get them at that price. How much is the 256mb new cost.

36 for 256 and 60 for 512 so your wrong there with your 40 euro...

• Advertisement

Ah thought it seemed cheap. Anyways my price is by no means set in stone. Always room for a bit of bargaining:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,139 ✭✭✭✭Esel

@shortys74 - Go for the 15.1" screen (it's widescreen, no?) if it's not too late.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote:
    @shortys74 - Go for the 15.1" screen (it's widescreen, no?) if it's not too late.
    He already ordered... and its a 15.4" widescreen :)

i got the normal screen with it, the 14.1 i think... but the brochure says its a widescreen.... and besides as a previous poster said its a great screen..... sending off a cheque for dell tomorrow, should i put the sales rep on the envelope?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I'm using the 14.1" (it IS widescreen) and it's the dogs dangly bits :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Rags wrote:
    Ah thought it seemed cheap. Anyways my price is by no means set in stone. Always room for a bit of bargaining:D.

30 quid is a very fair price for that I'd have thought.

Umm...what the hell is an express card?
    Nearly all dell laptops use a mini PCI card, broadcom or whoever happens to be the cheapest supplier that month, not one that fits in the PCMICA slot.

On the screen thing; it's down to personal taste I suppose but there's no way I could have that 2cm worth of bezel bordering my screen.. especially if you intend to watch video on it, or work with photos...

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Sharp

Is it worth paying the extra €34 for the faster cpu??

Will Upgrade to 512 or would upgrade to 768 have the same speed increase.

Intel® Celeron® M Processor 370 (1.50 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 400 MHz FSB) [Included in Price]

Intel® Celeron® M Processor 380 (1.60 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 400 MHz FSB) [add € 33.76]

i would go with the 768 ram...

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

Sharp wrote:
    Is it worth paying the extra €34 for the faster cpu??

Will Upgrade to 512 or would upgrade to 768 have the same speed increase.

Intel® Celeron® M Processor 370 (1.50 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 400 MHz FSB) [Included in Price]

Intel® Celeron® M Processor 380 (1.60 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 400 MHz FSB) [add € 33.76]

i wouldn't bother with the faster cpu. get xrta ram, not from dell though. check out www.shop4memory.com

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭King Eric

Im thinkin of getting one of these, mostly will be used for working with digital photos (editing and viewing them) just wondering if people think it would be able for it and would the screen be good enough resolution/sharp enough

At the moment im using an old dell desktop 400MHz 128MB RAM so this laptop would definately be much better especially if i put in extra RAM myself, im just wondering should i hold off for a while and buy a better laptop in a couple of months time when ive hopefully saved up a bit more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

i don't think you'd get a better machine at this price. get as much ram as you can affoard. in the long run you'll certainly need a faster machine, but this will a good option to start off with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Wertz wrote:
    shop4memory, crucial.co.uk, OCuk, eBay (but be cautious)...just use a memory configurator to make sure you're getting the right type. You'll need SODIMM not desktop RAM, and it's pretty easy to fit.
    Shouldn't cost you much more than 40-50 quid for another 256mb stick and if you keep your eyes open on the FS forums here, they pop up from time to time for much less.

[edit] DDR2 PC2-4200 • CL=4 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR2-533 • 1.8V in your choice of module size, crucial have the 256mb for €30 + €8 delivery

Thanks. Odered this with wireless. Could've used usb but its nice just to have it in there. The guy also gave me mcafee 15 mth half price - around 25e. Ordered 256 from crucial also. Thanks for the tip.

Also thanks to the guy for the memory install link!

anyone else received it yet? i am waiting for my cheque to be cleared, anyy idea how long that will take? do i get order number when its dispatched?

I missed delivery yesterday so they said i will get it today :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

are these still on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭savemejebus

offer is valid till 3rd of may according to the advert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

sounds like a sweet deal, only by phone yeah?

i got mine today :D and i love it :) a little bit of ram and it will be flying along...

waiting for damn chque to clear!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My Dad got one during the week. He upgraded to the 15.4 screen. I told him to wait for extra ram. I'll order that on shop4memory - it is 1024 for a gig of ram there. All in all it is a bargain!! Once all the Dell crap in the startup is removed it ticks along nicely (they have an awful lot of rubbish installed by default - Corel Photo something or other running at startup etc).

Great deal - fair play Dell!!

Advertisement