Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Deedsie wrote: »
    deedsie

How did it go?

Good to hear it deedsie. If its still bleeding I'd be careful about wrapping it in tissue, the tissue could stick to the skin and that'd be sore. Can yiy leave it exposed to the air for a bit?

tbh wrote: »
    Good to hear it deedsie. If its still bleeding I'd be careful about wrapping it in tissue, the tissue could stick to the skin and that'd be sore. Can yiy leave it exposed to the air for a bit?

Salt..warm water..plastic cups...let him dangle.

• Advertisement

tbh wrote: »
    Salt..warm water..plastic cups...let him dangle.

As soon as you're ready to take the bath. I didn't bother with the bath (the whole purpose of which is to clean the chap) I just dangled twice a day instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

ahh so we know deedsie named his lad Elmo - it's ok, mine was christened Gonzo once (we didn't last as a couple too much longer)

Glad you're on the mend, for such a build up, the op and recovery really isn't that bad - just a bit boring after a while.

Don't expect too much the first couple of days. Days 1->4 are all pretty samey with no real difference - by Sunday/Monday you´ll see a change, then probably within 7 days of the op you won't know yourself. Scabbing will come with time, in the meantime keeping it clean is the most important part

That and thinking un-sexy thoughts

did the doc tell you how long to keep the bandage on for? Mine came off the next morning and they just said to leave it off.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JosefK

Well lads. Hard to believe it's been two weeks already. Life has improved dramatically with the reduction of the swelling, and I made a makeshift dressing to go around the remaining stitches which makes wearing boxers pretty comfortable. I had just worn a bathrobe with no boxers for the first week and while it was more comfortable, the dressing + boxers has helped reduce the hyper-sensitivity which has made normal movement possible again.

Healing seems to be going ok, although it's hard to tell for sure just yet. I've a small concern about on part where the stitches came out but the skin doesn't look to have knitted. Not sure if I should leave it or go to a doctor in case it needs restitching. It's not bleeding or anything so maybe it's ok. Erections are painless at this point (thank fu*k!!) which makes a massive difference. Much easier to drift back to sleep when you know you won't be awoken half an hour later in some discomfort.

All in all, and provided that bit where the stitch came out isn't a problem, I'm in pretty good nick. I know a lot of people have said it already but once it does start to get better it gets better pretty quickly. The first five days or so are the toughest.

I know there's tons of advice on dealing with the whole situation on this thread as well, but I would like to reinforce the general theme.

I was honestly pretty freaked out when I realised I was going to have to get this done. I was very low for a week or so with it and I got so worried about it I couldn't sleep on some nights. It's fairly overwhelming at first, and I don't know about everyone else but it was a mixture of embarrassment and fear that hit me. Naturally, because I'd never heard of it I almost felt like this was some one in a billion thing that had happened to me and the sense that this was somehow really rare made me feel even worse.

Thankfully though, a bit of reading made me cop onto myself a small bit. The drama is unnecessary for lots of reasons. Firstly, and probably most importantly, is that the problem and procedure are incredibly straightforward for the medical professionals you deal with. The GP I went to didn't have to pull down some dusty old medical manual to diagnose me. He knew what the issue was immediately (phimosis) and he knew exactly what I needed to do. Ditto for the urologist. When I told the urologist that I'd been a bit embarrassed about it he genuinely couldn't understand why I had been. Honestly he just said "Embarrassed?" with a slightly confused look and added "I don't see what there is to be embarrassed about. It's nothing."

That doesn't mean that it wasn't a big deal in my head, but reading about it and talking to the medical professionals helps you look at it a lot more practically. And that's the biggest piece of advice I'd give to anyone who's reading this, slightly freaked out about the whole thing. This is just a practical problem. Yeah it's one that can evoke panic because of the part of your anatomy you're talking about but it's just a practical problem all the same.

If it was a slipped disc or a fractured hand or anything else you'd know exactly what you need to do about it, but because it's your mickey and you've probably never heard about it before your emotions get involved and make the whole thing more complicated than it actually is. It really is very simple. If you think you've got this issue, you need to see a GP. If the GP concurs, you'll be referred to a urologist and they'll do the rest. Honestly the only really difficult bit is the five seconds it takes to respond to the doctor when he first asks you what you wanted to see him about. That's the bit you've been building up in your head. But once that's over, the rest is much easier.

So that's the main thing I'd say to anyone who's worried about this. Realise that it's just a problem you need to fix and don't get too emotional about it. As this thread shows, it's a common problem, and it's easily fixed. If you really want to beat yourself up about it, go ahead, but it's just a waste of energy. Taking action made me feel a lot better about it than all the pointless angst I put myself through over it.

with regard to the stitching....

I had a bit of concern about it as well, i went back to the urologist and he explained that it may look that way flacid, but he stitched it in a specific way so that when erect it would be "seamless". He did offer to re-stitch, but felt it was un-necessary

I have noticed that when erect you can barely tell there was a wound, and now the swelling has gone down, when flaccid it looks very tidy.

If you really are concerned, go talk to him - however, urologists are very sensitive to the look of it, and know what their doing - but still...it's your manhood and they also don't worry about concerns you have

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gavin89

decdev wrote: »
    Hi m8 im medical card holder and got seen to, all in about 3 months.visit to gp and letters sent to various hospitals,but during this time of waiting for reply about 2 weeks after visiting my GP got pain down there which was really sore walking was hard to do from penis getting in contact with whatever type of trouser i wore.Hence i went to a&e in tallaght now i was in pain m8 they took me in and i was there for about 8hours gave me a steroid cream and booked me in for surgery.They said roughly 2 months waiting time which would have been middle July but done now 4 days since so going to a&e made big difference for me.

PS my GP also told me about a year waiting list

i got a date for consultation...may next year!! im so annoyed :(

Gavin89 wrote: »

ah man - sorry to hear that, that's shocking. I wonder could you get a private consultation (probably about 150 - 200) and then go on the public system?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭decdev

Me too sorry about that m8 i guess it was because i was in pain at the time and went to a&e

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

Why don't you try the non-surgical skin stretching methods while you are waiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gavin89

Thanks guys. Dont know what route Im gonna go down but I will start saving to have it done in a private clinic in the meantime.

I have tried stretching which worked enough so that I can pull the foreskin back when flaccid, which is great! but now when its erect i have what my doc called paraphimosis which can be very painful when it happens.

Since i started stretching iv also developed fordyce spots on the foreskin...does anyone know if there is any relation between the two??

God i hate foreskin lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Yid

How's it going lads
    I'll share my story with you...
    Had my op on the 15 of this month (one week 2days) in Tallaght
    I went publicly and from seeing the doctor to the urologist took about a year then about 3 weeks after that I was in for the op, I had a full circ done. Only cost was price of the bed (75 euros)
    Advise is get there early (they tell you 7.20am) I was there at 6.50 as I couldn't wait at home anylonger and I was ticket no 3 by the time 7.20 came and they started seeing people there was about 50 people waiting !!!!
    Staff there are really good, very helpful go through everything and try and settle you while they book you in, asking if you smoke drink etc etc
    Walked down at around 8.15 and they put you on bed
    I was surprised how many doctors etc are down there I even asked if they where students etc but she said no there all doctors
    They wire you up to the heart monitor and then they "knock you out" about three people rounding around you at this stage but they tell you what there doing and even though your nerves are getting the better of you they are helping... Bam your asleep

Woke up thinking I was about to go in but she said your all done... I went to have a look but she held the covers saying I have to wait as I was in the recovery room

Went then up to my ward and had two pots of tea 2 bits of toast and biscuits (I was starving)

I then went to go the the toilet and ended up asking if they had a mop trying to crack the (the aim wasn't as good as it was)

They don't tell you how sencertive it is after although I had a slight infection which I have no idea how I got as I was dipping it twice a day in Epsom salts but a trip to the doctors and a few more tablets and I'm fine

Over all I'm delighted with how it looks, only bad thing is night time erections (from using it 3-4 times aday to nothing in 10 days is hard)

Sencertivity is going down all is looked good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 JosefK

The erections are tough, but it gets easier. I think the stitches started to come out after twelve days or so for me and they're not all gone yet (seventeen days). It's not painful now though, just a bit uncomfortable sometimes. I found that difene helped me sleep and eased the swelling which made it much less uncomfortable overall. Any anti-inflammatories would probably help.

Is it a good idea to visit a GP to see if it's all healing ok? Or is it unnecessary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

lynchy, cop on and don't post here in that manner again

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

I keep trying to read this thread, but it keeps making me nauseated to the extent that I thought I would faint... Fair play to you all who got this done. I can't even bring myself to even read up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

can someone confirm for me if vhi still cover this ?and also i only have my vhi for 2.5 years and was wonderig if this is seem as a pre-existing condition and the 5 year waiting rule applies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Yid

So it's been 3 weeks since I had the op

As I said before I had a slight infection which after the antibiotics I found I wasn't as sencertive as I was, I decided after two and a half weeks to take my stitches out myself as the erections where killing me and I was like a horny teenager

Ive had a couple of **** but only held it under the scar line happy days

One bit of advise I read somewhere is.. Even tho it might hurt when your in the bath etc be quite hard on it and after a couple of days the sensertivity is minimal

Glad I got it done (it was for med reasons) can't wait to use it with herself

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What did you guys tell other people? Like is there a good cover story to deflect from what's actually been done but is also correct for the time off you need :P

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Smashius_Clay

What painkillers would you recommend, if any? This goes out to other posters here as well. One poster has suggested Difene. This is not available over the counter, is it? Are there any over-the-counter painkillers which are good for discomfort after circumcision?

Having it done this Tuesday, am kind of fretting. Anyone have any last minute tips?

• Advertisement

in all honesty, i used parcetomol the day of the op, probably as a "just in case" (jeez i sound like my grandmother...) but didn't need it. You really won't believe me when I say this, but look over the forum again and you'll see that there really is no pain.

There is some discomfort, i would rate it as 1/3->1/2 as bad as being kicked there, but that is it. All you can do is lie down for a couple of days and wait it out, find a good position and stay there. Have some DVD's ready and maybe for the first 2 or 3 days, either someone to cook for you, or some meals that can defrosted.

By the time you get to Saturday/Sunday you'll be feeling if not normal, at least close to it.

I'm six weeks in, and sat in the Spanish sun yesterday evening on the beach after a day of messing around in the water with my niece, i seriously couldn't believe that I had been a)worrying about the op 7 weeks ago and b)on the table 6 weeks ago.

Just as a side note, spanish people are not in the least bit shy about it - my brother in law blithly asked me at dinner on Saturday "so how is lad (literally how is the chicken)". Then i got not only his story about his op, but his grandfathers one many many years ago - put all of my illusions of polite dinnertime conversation finally to bed....
    You'll be fine, you just won't believe it until you get through it.

Advertisement