Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Back to normal - my doctor signed me back on to work yesterday. In all honesty, i probably could have worked last week - but the extra rest made a difference - also the commute would have freaked me out a bit.

I am pretty much back to normal, am able to do normal day to day stuff with no bother, sensitivity is going - i do get caught every so often but it isn't the worst thing in the world.

All the stitches are out, no visible tunnel. The stitches being out are great for getting a full night sleep, which in itself makes a big difference

now the clock is ticking down to the 6 week mark...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

This post has been deleted.

It worked out to 2 full weeks + 1 day.

Based on how I was after 4 days, i wouldn't do it - i think a full 7 days of limited activity is for best. I was just at home with dvd's and relaxing in a dressing gown for pretty much the whole time.

Don't get me wrong, there is not a lot of pain but I know i couldn't concentrate on my job 4 days after getting the operation (i am an IT unit lead for a Tier 3 operation support).
    Plus there isn't the actual work, but the stuff around it (commuting, walking around the office etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Deedsie wrote: »
    new experience for both of us :D

http://www.freshpair.com/mens/Calvin-Klein/underwear/trunks.html

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭decdev

Hi all just home from the chop and so far so good given augmenten and Tylex for soreness and in case of infection but no discomfort at minute but expecting soon maybe tomorrow ? But as I say all done

• Advertisement

decdev wrote: »
    Hi all just home from the chop and so far so good given augmenten and Tylex for soreness and in case of infection but no discomfort at minute but expecting soon maybe tomorrow ? But as I say all done

The worst of it really is over- and even that wasn't that bad (at least i hope not :) ). I did have an infection as well, but it was caught early and cleared up in 4 or 5 days (just remember to finish the course of antibiotics

just remember the basics -
    • let the lad have as much air as possible
    • you may have to sit down when you pee for a few days but peeing in itself is not painful
    • night erections are tough, especially the first couple of them - standing up really quickly and thinking of mary harney in a bikini did it for me. The only result is that your sleep pattern may be a bit off for a few days

Nothing else really to do except have a few DVD boxes ready (the fewer naked girls the better...)

decdev wrote: »

The worst of it really is over- and even that wasn't that bad (at least i hope not :) ). I did have an infection as well, but it was caught early and cleared up in 4 or 5 days (just remember to finish the course of antibiotics

just remember the basics -
    • let the lad have as much air as possible
    • you may have to sit down when you pee for a few days but peeing in itself is not painful
    • night erections are tough, especially the first couple of them - standing up really quickly and thinking of mary harney in a bikini did it for me. The only result is that your sleep pattern may be a bit off for a few days

Nothing else really to do except have a few DVD boxes ready (the fewer naked girls the better...)
    Thanks for the advice m8 like the Mary Harney in a bikini bit lol that would certainly do it all right haha cheers

Me again quick question:confused: about peeing :o as i say no pain or anything but when i pee the dressing gets wet like a babies lol nappy and was told to leave this on for 48 hours (24)so far surely this would cause infection am i doing a pee wrong lol cheers (37 and wondering how to pee)lol cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6 777hunter777

Hey guys need help here,since i can now see the 'head' i found out it's pretty much like very sensitive whats a good,quick and safe way you can desensitize it,i guess some expirinces would help.
    PS:remember im not cut,just tight and now im trying to flex it a little so maybe,,,maybe it becomes normal although i wouldnt mind getting circumcised,but surely until december im stuck with this so ill try do my best.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Smashius_Clay

Two questions:

(1) I am due to have my circumcision on July 3rd, in St. Vincent's Hospital, performed by Dr. Gerard Lennon. Has anyone else had their surgery performed by him, and if so, was it successful?

(2) I am due to see The Stone Roses in Phoenix Park on July 5th. I have been looking forward to this concert for a long time, but am worried now that I will be in too much discomfort to enjoy it. What is the verdict? I do not want to postpone surgery, but I am conflicted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Tidus_reborn

@777Hunter777

I think the only real way to help with desensitising the head would be to expose it and put it in contact with other things (e.g. against your underwear or with your hands). So I guess if you could touch it against your underwear say for a few minutes a day you may be able to reduce the sensation. You could maybe also use a lubricant and maybe run your fingers over it too. If you can fully retract the skin you could try leaving it 'up' and have it brush of your underwear as you go about your day (be careful though if you feel the skin is too tight to retract then don't try this!)

You mention that you haven't had the op yet and are flexing/stretching yeah? I've heard that your GP can prescribe a steroid cream which may be of some use to you, or alternatively sitting in a warm bath is well known to help loosen you up. so maybe if you had access to a bathtub you could soak in it for a while (maybe lowering the temperature compared to what you are used with just so you don't burn yourself) and then try to do whatever stretching your GP recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JosefK

Things improving gradually. I took a difene before going to sleep for a couple of nights (housemate had them) and I think they really helped with the swelling. Erections still a bit sore but much, much better than they were. Head is still pretty sensitive. Have just been wearing the bathrobe for the last week and letting him hang in the fresh air. I suppose wearing underwear would help? Tried it for a bit yesterday but the sensitivity was a bit much. Still have a bit of pain around the stitches on the underside but in the main the pain is gone. If I could stick having a pair of boxers over it I reckon I could nearly resume normal life again. Something to aim for I suppose :)

Two questions:
    (2) I am due to see The Stone Roses in Phoenix Park on July 5th. I have been looking forward to this concert for a long time, but am worried now that I will be in too much discomfort to enjoy it. What is the verdict? I do not want to postpone surgery, but I am conflicted.

Yeah I'm going to that too. For me I would say no, I still wouldn't be comfortable being out and about, never mind two days later. I didn't have any anti-inflammatory pills or anything like that though and maybe they'd speed up the process. If he was well wrapped and you'd a pair of baggy tracksuits on it might be possible as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gavin89

How long does it take to get an appointment with the surgeon? My GP sent a referral letter about 2 weeks ago but he told me I would be waiting up to a year for a consultation. I am a medical card holder so I am not sure whether that slows the process down or not

• Registered Users Posts: 6 777hunter777

Well thanks,i think its streatching little by little already,today i managed to pull it back when erect,and to say it all with some 'lubrication' it ain't that bad,a new sensation which is nice,although still a bit sensitive,but it was very tight i don't think it's normal yet,the first day i slept with it exposed it stayed all night(was awoken some 3 times beacuse of night time erections beacuse it was very tight)today im going to try again.

I have a question,if you have a tight foreskin but head exposed and with a condom would you be able to have sex?Any expirinces would be appreacated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Smashius_Clay

JosefK wrote: »
    Yeah I'm going to that too. For me I would say no, I still wouldn't be comfortable being out and about, never mind two days later. I didn't have any anti-inflammatory pills or anything like that though and maybe they'd speed up the process. If he was well wrapped and you'd a pair of baggy tracksuits on it might be possible as well.

That's a bit disappointing to hear, but thank you for responding. If anyone else either agrees or disagrees with this verdict, please chip in.

On an other note, how long before you can comfortably have sex? The doctor told me 6 weeks before sex OR masturbation. Will the tip toughen up by itself or will I have to keep exposing it to surfaces (e.g. boxer shorts)? Is the first sex you have post-circumcision painful, or not?

That's a bit disappointing to hear, but thank you for responding. If anyone else either agrees or disagrees with this verdict, please chip in.

On an other note, how long before you can comfortably have sex? The doctor told me 6 weeks before sex OR masturbation. Will the tip toughen up by itself or will I have to keep exposing it to surfaces (e.g. boxer shorts)? Is the first sex you have post-circumcision painful, or not?

Well 2 days after my op, i was told to take the bandage off - I personally wouldn't feel comfortable being around a lot of people at that point for a couple of reasons.

1) you'll be walking slightly awkwardly for a couple of days
    2) anything rubbing against the tip gives you a bit of shock (clothes etc), god knows how it'd feel if someone bangs into you (inevitable at concerts)

I wouldn't recommend going....but i'd also wouldn't recommend cancelling the operation as it is best to get it out the way and on the road to recovery.

as for sex? I'm 3 weeks in so can't comment....though my wife does have a big circle on the 6 week mark. I did however have a "wet dream" the other day and the orgasm did wake me up (in a good way, not in a "post surgery erection way). My own doctor said that 30 days post surgery some "light manipulation" would be healthy, but no sex for 6 weeks.

Feeling a lot better today and the healing is coming along nicely. Can wear boxers reasonably comfortably with a dressing and I'm walking relatively normally. Erections still a bit uncomfortable but nothing like they were a few days ago. Having the dressing in contact with the head has really helped reduce the hyper-sensitivity as well which is a massive step forward. For the first time since the op I can sort of imagine engaging in normal life (although not every aspect :)) again. Hopefully it keeps going in the right direction.

4 days later and all good for me no dressing or sensitivity of head guess im lucky just a bath every day and all good removed dressing after day 2 after first bath.swelling going down near gone just waiting for stitches to go and wound to heal

Gavin89 wrote: »
    How long does it take to get an appointment with the surgeon? My GP sent a referral letter about 2 weeks ago but he told me I would be waiting up to a year for a consultation. I am a medical card holder so I am not sure whether that slows the process down or not

Hi m8 im medical card holder and got seen to, all in about 3 months.visit to gp and letters sent to various hospitals,but during this time of waiting for reply about 2 weeks after visiting my GP got pain down there which was really sore walking was hard to do from penis getting in contact with whatever type of trouser i wore.Hence i went to a&e in tallaght now i was in pain m8 they took me in and i was there for about 8hours gave me a steroid cream and booked me in for surgery.They said roughly 2 months waiting time which would have been middle July but done now 4 days since so going to a&e made big difference for me.

PS my GP also told me about a year waiting list

• Advertisement

jaysus no, an icepack would be agony!!!

tbh wrote: »
    jaysus no, an icepack would be agony!!!

Deedsie the best advice I could give you is don't waste too much time worrying about the pain. Its genuinely not that bad. You'll certainly know work has been done but you won't be bursting into tears every time it moves! It sounds hard to accept but I think you'll find its true.

I think those shorts and trackie bottoms for the car ride home and then just chill out on the couch for a few days, take some ponstan or neurofen if you need them.

Well - I'll be going back to my non-alias account soon, so thought i would post a quick summary of everything from my perspective and gently bow-out

Spanish Public Medical System

Diagnosis - Phimosis, frenulem breve, BXO

Initial Consult - 21st April
    Initial date for operation - 6 months away!
    New Date - June 6th
    Revised Date - May 25th

The Operation
    Local anesthetic - a breeze. High cut, frenulectomy. Operation took 1 hour with NO pain and minimal discomfort (the needles). 17 stitches around the wound, 2 in the frenulem. Wrapped up in gauze and a pressure bandage, sent on my way and had a coffee and toast before heading home in a taxi

Recovery
    1) first few days were uncomfortable. Walking in a strange way, didn't want anything near it. Poor wife went to sleep in spare room. Urination was easy and painless, though did have to sit down for a few days
    2) Bandage came off 48 hours from operation, probably didn't soak it enough but it still came away quite easily. Penis and wound looked like a dog ate it, digested it then sewed it back on.
    3)Slight infection sorted out by antibiotics which probably threw full recovery back a few days - it seemed like there was a sore - especially by the frenulem.
    Washed the area 3 times a day with saline solution and gauze
    4) Stitches started coming loose on day 7, all out by day 13 except for the frenulem two, no pain with them coming out - just a bit of gentle tugging. Erections were very painful initially, but as the stitches started to pop out, they became fine.
    5)wound healing nicely by day 12, scabs appearing.
    6) Sensitivity of the head took a while to get used to, by day 12 it was grand and was able to walk around as normal. Glans dried out perfectly- new skin peeling which is normal, however doctor just recommended normal moisturizer through the day and baby lotion after a shower - now at day 25 it feels back to normal

Relations have yet to resume, however I did knock one out recently and holy mother of pearl it was needed, welcomed and completely different to anything i've experienced before. Different technique is needed, but I'm willing to learn

In short - the thinking about the operation and recovery are a hell of a lot worse than the actual recovery. Yes, you will need to take it easy for a few days, leave the lad out in the air as much as possible and be prepared for a new assgroove in your couch - also, if you are like me and unable to pull the foreskin back at all, you'll need to learn a whole type of hygene.

Just remember that this operation is neccessary in many circumstances and NOTHING to be embarrased about. We're guys and we need to look after our own tubes. In many ways, the operation has taught me that we really need to be more aware and open about mens health issues. We have different needs to women but lack the openess that womens health issues have.

and remember one thing..

THE OPERATION IS WORTH THE DISCOMFORT

no, I didn't anyway - I think once the bandages come off, that's it. Mine were off before I went home.

it's difficult to relax because, as much as we're telling you, you won't accept it until you've done it yourself - that's perfectly natural.

It's very difficult to accept that an op of this nature won't be agony until you've had it. You probably think we're all supermen or something, I assure you, my pain threshold is very low :)

What I'd say to you is try not to think about it too much and just deal with it as you're going through it - I almost guarantee you'll be posting here saying it wasn't as bad as you'd feared.

• Advertisement

deedsie

How did it go?

Advertisement