Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Nickknock28

Just thought id pop back in for an update.

DAY 34

Everything settling down well. Very last stitch came out about a week ago (was embeded deep but fell out while in the bath). Glans sensitivity has come down to a level where id dont even notice it knocking about in my pants and jeans :) The stitch line is a little sore at times still and i still have some lumps where the inner foreskin swelled between each stitch but it seems to be going down by the day. Masturbation is fine, i just have to be careful not to rub the stitchline. Not attempted sex yet but I feel it would be ok with the use of condom until everything settles down a little more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 AnBordSnip

All going well friends.

Went to the doc today as I'd some concerns, turned out to be all in my stupid head. Thought the thing was infected and going to fall off (!!!!!) turned out to a perfectly normal part of the process, bit of lymph. Well ahead of where I should be on day six.

I'd welcome any and all tips (if there are any) on sensitivity. Thanks again to all who post here, great thread. Dying to get back to action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Hi all,

I am supposed to get circumcised on Monday morning. Can anyone tell me when I can realistically go back to work? I have an office job.

Thanks,
    Walrus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Hi all,

I am supposed to get circumcised on Monday morning. Can anyone tell me when I can realistically go back to work? I have an office job.

Thanks,
    Walrus
    Monday week. It will take 4 or 5 days for the extreme sensitivity to ease and a day or two to get used to walking 'normally' again so if you arent active in work you might get back on friday but, imo, you will need the week. Again, just my opinion:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 livindublin

Hi all,

Thanks,
    Walrus

I'm getting it done on Thurs and have to be back to work on monday...office job too. i guess everyone is different but i've no option in the matter so i'm keeping my fingers crossed i'll be able to suffer through the pain and go back to work!

• Advertisement

If it's any small comfort I wouldn't use the word pain, I don't think I've experienced any real pain in the last 8 days really, discomfort is the word of the week.

I was TERRIFIED of the 'pain' in advance of the op, get that out of your head and it'll be much easier folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Nip The Tip

AnBordSnip wrote: »
    I'd welcome any and all tips (if there are any) on sensitivity.

no pun intended right? :)
    I found that there was a loss of sensitivity (not feeling) for several weeks after the circ (probably from trauma to the area), but maybe 1.5 to 2 months after the op I was back to normal sensitivity.. when erect.
    When it's flaccid there's way less "sensitivity" than before, but only in a good way. I.e. I can still feel her gentle touch (aww, yeah) but that dart of sharp discomfort I used to get if something touched the head before (with foreskin retracted) is no longer there. Like I can towel dry myself without any of that.

I liken it to your eyes first thing in the morning, after being covered up they are hypersensitive... but after a little while of being exposed they are fine, but you still see everything perfectly. Know what I mean?

no pun intended right? :)
    I found that there was a loss of sensitivity (not feeling) for several weeks after the circ (probably from trauma to the area), but maybe 1.5 to 2 months after the op I was back to normal sensitivity.. when erect.
    When it's flaccid there's way less "sensitivity" than before, but only in a good way. I.e. I can still feel her gentle touch (aww, yeah) but that dart of sharp discomfort I used to get if something touched the head before (with foreskin retracted) is no longer there. Like I can towel dry myself without any of that.

I liken it to your eyes first thing in the morning, after being covered up they are hypersensitive... but after a little while of being exposed they are fine, but you still see everything perfectly. Know what I mean?

But in terms of sex is there much of a difference? Have my op this week and am already starting to get serious cold feet:eek:

livindub, by going to the doc in the first place you've already done the most nerve wrecking bet.

Nip The Tip, cheers. Today was Day 11 (who is counting eh?) and I went to college grand, walking like Michael D. Higgins perhaps but you have to adopt. Sensitivity not as bad as it was first few days. I should say I had full-on phimosis so the head being exposed is a completely new sensation.

Day 10/11 seem to have seen HUGE improvements. Unbelievable stuff. Still waiting on most of the stitches to dissolve though. Two salt baths a day still.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 testx

I'm also getting it done this Thursday (7:30am appointment). Trying to think ahead, and anticipate the next week.

I'm boxed sets of DVDs at the ready, organised (no pun intended) putting my dogs into kennels for the next 9 days, stocked up the freezer. What's left?

Trim the pubes? Tape up the taps so I won't be tempted to drink before getting the general? Stock up on Gauze, Panadol and Vaseline?

Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

I've heard it's rare but still available if people want it.

I suffer from phimosis and it's really getting to me.

Any other alternatives to this?

Any help is appreciated, and thanks for reading.

Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My story.

Being a reasonably common sense person, I realised a good while back that a non retracting foreskin was not normal but classic Irish ignorance and no sex ed meant I didn't grasp the need for medical help unit later. Being honest it ate away at me and really destroyed me for fear of having 'non standard equipment'. Eventually caved in, thanks in no small part due to this thread.

Saw the GP, she asked a lot of sensible questions and tried to retract while I did my best to look at the ceiling and put out of my mind the fact there was an attractive woman with her hands on my member (rare event I'll tell you). Given the scale of my issue I was told circumcision was the only practical option. She even mentioned the boards.ie thread, legend of a doc.

Met the consultant, who was of the very direct almost military officer type. I know that sounds bad, but someone who is straight talking and direct is really what you need when you are half thinking of balling. He said circumcision was needed and booked me in there and then.

Now the scary part

Pain, the most painful part of this entire ordeal was having the shunt stuck in my arm and this weird warm feeling as whatever magic sauce they use went in. Second worst was the tube down my throat they pull out.

No serious pain at all at any stage really, just was very careful to keep everything wrapped up. Some reasonably tight mesh gauze is your only man as the wider the mesh the more likely to attach to the stitches when you unrap.

I managed to survive on a total of 3 paracetamol (yes seriously) kept it wrapped up for a few days. 3+ weeks since now and all is well, a little sensitive still and a small gap which is slowly joining up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

But in terms of sex is there much of a difference? Have my op this week and am already starting to get serious cold feet:eek:

for me - it's far, far better. I've made the analogy before, but it's like walking on the sand with thick socks on, and then taking off the socks and walking on the same sand :)

finallysorted - wow! have to say, I probably would have bailed if it had been a female doctor that saw me. respect.

testx, not sure if you're a boxers or briefs man, but the only practical suggestion I would give you is to get a few pairs of trunks if you don't already - you know what I mean? basically boxer shaped briefs :) you won't be able to wear anything for a few days, but when you get mobile again, the trunks are a lifesaver - stops everything swinging and banging around :)

Jan - if you search the thread for partial, you should see a few success stories alright.

Twelve hours before I was due to go in, just been notified that "due to the A & E crisis, the surgery has been cancelled until a later (unknown) date."

Wonder how long I'll have to wait now?

So frustrating!

:mad:
    testx wrote: »
    Twelve hours before I was due to go in, just been notified that "due to the A & E crisis, the surgery has been cancelled until a later (unknown) date."

Wonder how long I'll have to wait now?

So frustrating!

haven't received this message myself, also on tomorrow but i've actually bottled having it done now i think.....drove myself demented today thinking and worrying about it and whether it would be a bad decision until i accidentally said i had surgery tomorrow to a family member who, like a dog with a bone, wouldnt go away without knowing what it was....i made up a fake sport "knee injury" surgery but they saw through that and are now genuinely concerned it's somethin serious....no f**king way i'm telling them what it actually is. how mortifying :o

having too many second thoughts so i'm just cancelling it in the morning...prob for the best as i was never really satisfied with the consultant anyway....he just said i needed it and here's the date..consultation was no more than 5 mins..have no idea whether he's cutting high/low, tight/loose etc so i suppose i should have been more prepared and asked more questions.... so close yet so far :(

cheers for all the advice though lads....really appreciate all that and it was very helpful...just a pity i've bottled out of it in the 11th hour.:mad: silly i know but the idea has just freaked me out a bit way too much

Pity you were so stressed in telling a family member. But you know your own mind.

I was talking to a mate I've known for over 20years. After trying to dodge around what exactly the surgery was for, I finally bit the bullet and came right out and said it.

Turns out, he had the exact same surgery done 15years ago!

If I'd known then that I wasn't the only one, I'd have gotten this done a lot sooner.

And to be honest, I don't really care what type cut I get.
    As long as the surgeon knows the difference between circumcision and castration, I'm okay with it!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭BigProblem

testx wrote: »
    Pity you were so stressed in telling a family member. But you know your own mind.

I was talking to a mate I've known for over 20years. After trying to dodge around what exactly the surgery was for, I finally bit the bullet and came right out and said it.

Turns out, he had the exact same surgery done 15years ago!

If I'd known then that I wasn't the only one, I'd have gotten this done a lot sooner.

And to be honest, I don't really care what type cut I get.
    As long as the surgeon knows the difference between circumcision and castration, I'm okay with it!

:D

what is a good excuse to tell people in work that you have to get an operation?

dont fancy telling the truth and will be out of work for two weeks. what have people used an excuse for operation?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭norrie_1001

You could say you were getting a mole extraction

Say it's something minor you've been putting off. If pushed, just say "the plumbing" and usually they take the hint and shut up.

haven't received this message myself, also on tomorrow but i've actually bottled having it done now i think.....drove myself demented today thinking and worrying about it and whether it would be a bad decision until i accidentally said i had surgery tomorrow to a family member who, like a dog with a bone, wouldnt go away without knowing what it was....i made up a fake sport "knee injury" surgery but they saw through that and are now genuinely concerned it's somethin serious....no f**king way i'm telling them what it actually is. how mortifying :o

having too many second thoughts so i'm just cancelling it in the morning...prob for the best as i was never really satisfied with the consultant anyway....he just said i needed it and here's the date..consultation was no more than 5 mins..have no idea whether he's cutting high/low, tight/loose etc so i suppose i should have been more prepared and asked more questions.... so close yet so far :(

cheers for all the advice though lads....really appreciate all that and it was very helpful...just a pity i've bottled out of it in the 11th hour.:mad: silly i know but the idea has just freaked me out a bit way too much

ok lads - overnight i grew a pair and showed up at the hospital this morning :D

DAY 1

Showed up at the hospital at 7:30am, checked in and was allocated a bed. Had the usual pre-op questions and was told to put on a gown....hour later i was walked down to anestesia and was knocked out with some lovely drugs.....woke up with what seemed like a second later in a panic.....the nurse was laughing and said "as soon as you opened your eyes the immediate thing you did was look under the blanket". Hey I needed to see if it was still there!!:D

It was still there all bandaged up....no pain at all like most people have said but when i turned in bed the exposed part of the glands (which has never seen the light of day) grazed the blanket WHOAAAAAAAA MOMMA!!!!! OUCH!!! Now that's a sensation I've never had!!! SENSITIVE lol.......I think that's the main difficulty I'm going to have for a few days....contoling that sensitivity and the girly like screams haha

All in all, I'm absolutely delighted and over the moon I've taken the plunge.....that small piece of skin has been ruining my life for years...Am kinda freaked out by the blood stain on the bandage where the frennulum is but is bound to be expected....am looking forward to the recovery now and the decrease in sensitivity!! I have been advised no hanky panky for at least 6-8 weeks.......Roll on 2012 ;)

Like others I'll be leaving a day by day diary.....Those really helped me to make a visit to the GP and ultimately have this done........this has been said on here already but lads if you need this procedure, the worst part is going to the GP and the night before (as you'll see my post from last night lol)...the procedure itself isn't bad at all!!

• Advertisement

Way to go! :cool:

Nothing to fear except fear itself.

DAY 2

The first night wasn't too bad.....made sure to take a leak before going to bed but still woke up twice to the sharp pain of the start of an erection.....felt like the stitches were ripping and my cock trying to burst through the bandages but i managed to reign it in with some unsexy thoughts lol...might try waking up in the middle of the night to see if this helps tonight.

All in all things going well....the glands are SOOOOO sensitive though....taking a piss is a strange experience....you have to sit down as it flies in all directions....wrapping it up before pulling up the jocks takes some manouvering also but i'm getting the hang of it.

Tomorrow morning is 48 hours post op so I'm taking the first salt bath to try upwrap the bad boy....not looking forward to that experience especially when the doctor said, "don't be too alarmed when you see it for the first time":eek:

Any idea when taking a piss starts to flow in one axis after the op lads? and also when does the sensitivity start to die down at the tip...a brush of the underwear is like a 1000 volts of electricity lol....still am glad with the way things are moving along.

DAY 3

Woke up again 3 times last night with the dreaded stiffy...managed to control it though again with some disturbing thoughts lol....I guess the upside to the attempted hard-ons is that I know it still works :D

Anyway had the first salt bath today (48 hours post op), felt great. I started to unwrap the bandage very very slowly...and there it was:eek: looks like somebody was chewing on it the end of the gland is purple from bruising but no real pain....after about an hour of letting it hang freely it started to look semi normal but is very bruised and sensitive...the stitch line looks gross too..

Day wear is ok, I just put a lot of vasaline on some gauze and lightly wrap it around it pull it up and wear tight trunks which holds everything in place (in conjunction with all the pain meds the hospital prescribed me!!).....i let the air at it for about 30 mins everytime I take a piss then wrap it up again. the stiches still ooze a little blood but i'm not squeemish so it should be ok.....think I'll go to the GP on Monday (4 days post op) for an opinion on its healing (mostly just for reassurance from my perspective)....

All in all doing really well but don't think I'll make work on Monday...hopefully later in the week

livindublin, delighted for you man. Was sad to see someone get so far and turn around, so great you just made the leap. Don't worry about the sensitivty, I was the same (glans never exposed) but I spent last night and Friday dancing away in town! PATIENCE is all you need with this.

Speaking of patience, lost 5 stitches in the bath between yesterday and today. Ecstatic, as they didn't seem to be budging. Few to go.

Can anyone who has been through this before give any idea of a time-frame or the swelling of the inner-foreskin to reduce? It's not *as bad* as immediately post op, but just over two weeks and its still obvious. Will the stitches falling out speed this process up at all?

All in all very happy, but the better-half wont see anything until things are a bit better cosmetically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yeah - it doesn't improve at the same rate till it's 100% better, in my experience, which seems to have been shared by most, it improves by .5% a day for two weeks or so, and then heals practically overnight - won't be too much longer for you hopefully.

DAY 4

Making progress bit by bit.....seems to be getting slightly easier to wrap it when putting on the jocks. Am going to try to sleep commando tonight to let the air get at it. Am going to the GP tomorrow 4/5 days post op, just to check healing is going ok and not because I have any concerns or anything.

Today was grand, however, the inner foreskin is very swolen. I guess from the recent posts, this takes some time to calm down so I'm going to give this some time.

Sensitivity is dying a little but still hyper sensitive....a bit like an electric shock now and again.

Didn't know what a frenulum looked like til I looked at mine today all stitched up lol....here's hoping it looks better in a few days :D

DAY 5 / 6

Getting on fine....went to the GP yesterday to have a look....everything seems to be healing fine and was impressed with the "tidy" stitching...gave me a dose of antibiotics as a precaution as the inner foreskin was a little inflamed but was told this was nomal...

sensitivity is starting to die down a little now and i could spend last night in tight trunks with little or no sharp pains when the head rubbed off the cotton...pleased with that indeed :D....it is still quite sensitive around the rim and frenulum..

the beginning of erections are still quite sore though with the stitches so i'm using my newly trained Jedi mind power to stop them in their tracks...it's working so far....can't wait for stitches to start falling out as i'm mad to see it in full erect glory to get the full effect of the operation...after that (4-6 weeks post op) i'm looking forward to loosing the virginity.....again.....

Glad to hear you're doing well.

Three weeks exactly for me tomorrow,some notes:

1) About 70% of stitches thankfully gone. Seem to come out in the bath for me with very little encouragement needed. All the ones left are in and around the same place.
    2) Walking around grand, not an issue at all. You wouldn't know. For anyone newly cut, patience is the key here.
    3) Inner-foreskin still swollen, seems this is a waiting game. No pain or sensitivity with this, obviously just cosmetic.
    4) All in all no regrets.

AnBoardSnip - Cheers yeah everything is going cool, glad i took the plunge...100% no regrets.

1 week on
    Today is exactly one week to the day I had the procedure done and have to say my only regret was not doing it years ago.

Sensitivity is manageable now...walking around during the day fine with no problems (kept in one place by tight trunks). At night i just wear loose boxers and it's still a little uncomfortable at times but it's getting there...like has been said on here patience is the key. I'd say I'll be fine in 2/3 more days.

I think 1 stitch may have fallen out but not sure...am looking forward to these coming out but i'm happy to let them take their time.

Inner foreskin is also swolen but this I've been told will take a few weeks to subside but I'm grand with that as it's not sore.

All in all delighted I got this done and glad i finally got some use out of the VHI I've been paying into for years!:cool:

• Advertisement

Patience is key?

Getting plenty of experience now. One week after it was cancelled, going into the second and still no word on a rescheduled date.

Really hope that this is done soon.

Advertisement