Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

dlofnep wrote: »
    tbh wrote: »
    Vhi plan 1 anyway. I would say the majority would if it's medical and not cosmetic.

It's pretty much cosmetic. Will they not cover that?

Don't think so man, if you can get a policy that covers elective proceedures, you could probably afford to pay for them yourself. Just my hunch tho, give them a buzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

tbh wrote: »
    Don't think so man, if you can get a policy that covers elective proceedures, you could probably afford to pay for them yourself. Just my hunch tho, give them a buzz.

Roger that.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Nip The Tip

has anyone here gone private?
    how much did it cost?
    and how long were you waiting to get it done?

thanks

Well I have VHi which covered the op itself & hospital (semi private) ward etc (although I'm still looking over my shoulder for a huge bill to come in the door :rolleyes:) so the cost for me was...
    50 doctor who referred me (for medical reason) to consultant surgeon
    120 for consultant surgeon first consultation fee
    op & hosptal.... nowt (so far!)
    15 or something for antibiotics etc after op
    few euros for giant tub of vazeline and gauze and medical tape etc for DIY dressings
    and 80 for the 2 week follow up checkup with consultant (this dude was 120 1st visit and 80 every visit thereafter)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Well I have VHi which covered the op itself & hospital (semi private) ward etc (although I'm still looking over my shoulder for a huge bill to come in the door :rolleyes:) so the cost for me was...
    50 doctor who referred me (for medical reason) to consultant surgeon
    120 for consultant surgeon first consultation fee
    op & hosptal.... nowt (so far!)
    15 or something for antibiotics etc after op
    few euros for giant tub of vazeline and gauze and medical tape etc for DIY dressings
    and 80 for the 2 week follow up checkup with consultant (this dude was 120 1st visit and 80 every visit thereafter)

I never had a post op check up.....should i have had ???

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi all,

Well I saw the doctor today and everything seems well down there, However he seems to think its more a bacterial infection as I was on anitbiotics last week and it cleared up a lot of the "main issues"

He wanted me to continue with a couple of creams which is what I have been doing for the last 6 months. I told him I was pver that so he said circumcision would be the only option, I said I was happy for that...

Booked in and ready to go for the 23rd Sept.

My only problem now is we didn't talk about the procedure other than the fact that he said he would be removing both the inner and outer foreskin and that the insicion line would be about 1cm from the glads.

I am thinking that I will have to call him back and find out more details about the procedure itself....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 anfearbeag

Hi fellas, as a roundhead myself, i am just wondering out of curiosity what 'style' of cut other guys got, and if they were happy with how it turned out for them ?
    Mine is medium high and fairly tight and i think this is the best possible for me, i wouldnt like it to be a low loose cut or too low. i think a very high cut might leave too much inner thin foreskin too far back on the shaft, which might get irritated by clothing etc.

However as a 'grower' i couldnt have a very tight cut, but still my head is always exposed, which is how i like it. clean, dry and fresh always.

as for loss of sensation, i dont think there is any 'loss', just an adjustment to 'normal', so that it is not hyper sensitive, just tolerant to brushing off things without causing an 'electric shock' every time, but still sensitive enough to feel whats important ;)

what do others think, any advice or regrets ?

Hi all,

More to report. Just spoken with the Dr again, he is going to perform a "sleeve Circumcision" does anyone have any information on this???

The Dr said its the best procedure for an adult circumcision....

Zipppy wrote: »
    I never had a post op check up.....should i have had ???

Well I didn't choose to have one, the consultant surgeon just stated it upfront at the initial consultation as if it were just required, end of.
    TBH I think it was a good idea anyway, as like everyone who gets the chop, for the first few days especially and also the first week or 2, you have a few "concerns" about things. So the checkup was a good opportunity to set them straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 run100s

I think my circumcision story is worth sharing. I am 44 now, but when I was 20, I realized I had a problem. My foreskin was so tight that I never masturbated until I turned 20! I never knew what an ejaculation was. I started having sex at 17 with my girlfriend (we were both virgins) and we stayed together until I turned 24. Intercourse was painful and since I never climaxed, we both accepted it as the norm. I eventually realized I had a problem and I went to my GP. Operation went fine and I had a general anaesthetic and was home by supper. It was bloody painful for 2 weeks...erections were quite an ordeal. Once everything healed, it took 6 months of sex before I discovered what an orgasm was. Can you imagine what that was like? I didn't know what it felt like to ejaculate. I still remember the day. I was in my girlfriends house and close to "the end", I felt that sensation when you know it is only minutes away. It was the most amazing feeling I ever experienced. I was like a diseased rabbit for the next few months. It took another year before I was able to climax from masturbation. I am happily married now and the sex is great. The only advice I have is, if your foreskin is any way tight, go to your GP and get it taken care of. Thanks.

Day 365

Well it's been a year today since my op, not much to say really that hasn't been said. Just wished I got it done when I was younger.
    Having followed this thread for a while before getting it done, I used to log in every day at least to read up on people's latest & greatest experiences, thought I'd always be interested etc.. but now, it's like "meh" :D as I'm so used to the circ.
    Nice to check in every so often to see others getting sorted out etc.
    Thanks to those who keep posting!

• Advertisement

Hey all,

Well its been 9 days since the op and everything is good, Just wanted to know when everyones stitches started to come out, I am healing well and have just a faint line now where the doctor did his thing.

My stitches don't look like their going to be coming out in a while and I actually think that they are hindering my healing process now.

Does anyone have any advice? I read somewhere on here that someone used vaseline would this help?

Thanks

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭BigProblem

Hi Guys

I have been on here with questions before. I have a tight foreskin and cannot retract my foreskin over the penis head.

I finally went to doctor today after a lot of putting it off.
    So went in and told the doc my problem, he straight away asked me did I have private helath insurance which i do and it does cover the procedure, he said he would send a referral letter to consultant for procedure and i should here in 2-3 weeks about appointment for operation. The doctor never looked at my penis, is this normal for people on here? Dont get me wrong i was happy out i didnt have to get it out but for €40 i was expecting he would have a look. I asked him should i see a uroligist before i go for operation and he said i didnt need to.

The ball is rolling now but should the doctor have had a look? A part of me thinks he surely should of looked at it.

Thanks for any comments and this thread has been of great comfort to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭westskipper

BigProblem wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I have been on here with questions before. I have a tight foreskin and cannot retract my foreskin over the penis head.

I finally went to doctor today after a lot of putting it off.
    So went in and told the doc my problem, he straight away asked me did I have private helath insurance which i do and it does cover the procedure, he said he would send a referral letter to consultant for procedure and i should here in 2-3 weeks about appointment for operation. The doctor never looked at my penis, is this normal for people on here? Dont get me wrong i was happy out i didnt have to get it out but for €40 i was expecting he would have a look. I asked him should i see a uroligist before i go for operation and he said i didnt need to.

The ball is rolling now but should the doctor have had a look? A part of me thinks he surely should of looked at it.

Thanks for any comments and this thread has been of great comfort to me.

Why not seek a second medical opinion if you are not entirely satisfied with the first ?

Why not seek a second medical opinion if you are not entirely satisfied with the first ?

i am satisfied myself that i need a circ but i expected the doctor to have a look, did everyone else on here who went to doctor did the doctor have a look or just refer to consultant for operation?

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting and talking about this...
    About a year ago I was attempting to have sex with this girl which did not really work and my foreskin ended up stuck behind the 'head' and 5 hours later I still could not get it back over the head and it swelled up. A quick google told me I had 'paraphimosis' which it said was a medical emergency.... so I rushed to the hospital and with the help of two doctors pulling and prodding etc it finally went back to normal.

Ever since then I am terrified of it happening again (and anytime it happens I pull my foreskin over my head asap) which is ruining my sex life. I am seriously considering getting a circumcision.

So I am curious if anyone else has been in this position and went for a circumcision and if so did it cure all your problems ?? (Mods - I am NOT looking for medical advice, just looking to see if anyone else has taken the path that I am considering taking).

• Registered Users Posts: 19 testx

I suppose it depends on the doctor. I'm in the same situation, but at least my doctor took a look, said that he thought that the prepuce should be trimmed rather than a full circumcision.
    I've an appointment with the urologist in November.
    I'm assuming that the appointment is for the urologist to make his own opinion rather than doing the op there and then.

testx wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on the doctor. I'm in the same situation, but at least my doctor took a look, said that he thought that the prepuce should be trimmed rather than a full circumcision.
    I'm assuming that the appointment is for the urologist to make his own opinion rather than doing the op there and then.

No urologist i asked the doctor did i need to see one first but he said there was no need, im going straight for operation i think

i am satisfied myself that i need a circ but i expected the doctor to have a look, did everyone else on here who went to doctor did the doctor have a look or just refer to consultant for operation?

Yep he took a quick look at mine. You'd kind of expect him to take a gawk alright, wouldn't you!

Yep he took a quick look at mine. You'd kind of expect him to take a gawk alright, wouldn't you!

that is what i thought aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 36 budwider

Hey guys just wanted to re-visit this thread and let you all know that i finally got the circumcision in may and i am fully healed now,i can honestly say that it is the best thing ive ever had done,it feels and look a hell of a lot better,i can cum a lot easier now and sex just feels way way better.Im also a lot more confident and have gotten a new girlfriend and there no bad smell from a forskin anymore.Thanks for all of you help and kind advice,it was very much appreciated :):):):):):):):):):):)

• Advertisement

budwider wrote: »
    Hey guys just wanted to re-visit this thread and let you all know that i finally got the circumcision in may and i am fully healed now,i can honestly say that it is the best thing ive ever had done,it feels and look a hell of a lot better,i can cum a lot easier now and sex just feels way way better.Im also a lot more confident and have gotten a new girlfriend and there no bad smell from a forskin anymore.Thanks for all of you help and kind advice,it was very much appreciated :):):):):):):):):):):)
    Have to ask: how much different is it? For example, when the foreskin doesn't retract, there's pressure on the head which stops the full erection. So, is it like training with weights? Working against pressure develops muscles/vascularity. When the foreskin is removed, the pressure is relieved. Afterwards, do erections appear bigger? Do they feel more comfortable? Do they last longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 budwider

Have to ask: how much different is it? For example, when the foreskin doesn't retract, there's pressure on the head which stops the full erection. So, is it like training with weights? Working against pressure develops muscles/vascularity. When the foreskin is removed, the pressure is relieved. Afterwards, do erections appear bigger? Do they feel more comfortable? Do they last longer?

Well,i think the best way for me to put in to words how much difference the cicumcision made,would be simply that my biggest regret was not building up the courage until i was 25 to finally get it done,i wonder how different life would have been had i gotten it done sooner.There is a bit of a difference from my own perspective,full errection appears a lot thicker,however for the first month or two it seemed to be a little bit shorter,i originally thought that the surgeon had removed too much skin,but i was wrong,it was just my bodys own way of not damaging the new wound by getting fully errect(odd how the body seems to know these things)now its back to its original length,so my worries were premature. Intercourse is a completely different experience,feels like losing your virginity all over again,but even better.My girlfriend says she prefers the circumcised man,apparently it feels better for her and its not "icky" as she would say.If your suffereing from phimosis(tight forskin) i can't explain how much better the quality of life is when u finally get the op,for a few weeks of mild discomfort,you recieve a lifetime of amazing sex.Dont end up like me,dont waste years trying to, just get on with it.Stretching and steroid cream didnt work for me,i explored all options and none of them worked.Hope you take some inspiration from this little rant lol.Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. :D:D

Aged 25? Try aged 50! Reading your post was almost verbatim what is inside my head! I also wonder how life would've been.... Well, the past's the past, and regret is a fool's game. Thanks for the encouraging words. Here's to the future!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Hi, just noticed this thread, well basically im a 25 year old man with a tight-ish foreskin.. i cant retract it fully but it retracts maybe 60% and no more during intercourse,but only during intercourse never during masterbation etc. It never causes a problem or pain for me so im just wondering is this ok for me like this? Every now and again a build up of skegma comes but with a few thrusts in the shower it's gone in no time!Anyone else the same, and is this dangerous that you can't retract your foreskin if its painless the way it is?

I got my appointment to see the consultant in the next two weeks. The doctor had made out to me that I would get the operation there and then but it seems the appointment is to see the consultant only. I would hardly get the circ there and then if i need the operation would I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I got my appointment to see the consultant in the next two weeks. The doctor had made out to me that I would get the operation there and then but it seems the appointment is to see the consultant only. I would hardly get the circ there and then if i need the operation would I?

almost certainly not. You'll hopefully get a date for it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Nickknock28

Hi! New user just signed up! Got to say its been great reading all these posts about circumcision. Really helped me take me mind off worries i had.

The one thing that has really helped me the most is reading day to day diaries and id like to start one here to help others in my position (and also give me something to do while im laying in bed all day :) ).

Ok so heres the story, for about 14 years now ive known that I didnt have a "normal" foreskin. Pulling it back over my glans when soft was hard enough (a little easier in the bath) but when erect was impossible. Ive had quite a few sexual partners since then (im now 28) and each time sex has ranged from uncomfortable to painful. Id never want to explain my condition to them and guess i hoped it would just sort itself out in time. Well it hasnt and when the problem came up again with my new girfriend i though enough is enough and booked myself in to see my GP. I was also having bouts of thrush like itching all around my foreskin and it would flare up almost everyweek and was very itchy/sore.

My GP gave me a check and inspected my penis and said circumcision was my best option. I was very scared but also happy to hear him say this. I had finally taken the 1st step and it felt great!!

fast forward 3 months and I was booked into have a assessment at my local hospital. They just checked my weight and blood pressure etc. I then got sent a letter i was all booked in to have the procedure in 2 weeks. EEEKK!!

so this wednesday just gone was my big day....

DAY 1:
    My appointment was at 8am so had to wake up at half 6 to be there on time. I wasnt allowed to eat anything past 3am or drink anything past 6am so i was a little hungry and was dying for a cup of tea :) Got driving to the hospital and was there bang on 8am. Got taken through to the ward and made to feel very comfortable. Signed a few forms, met the surgeon who explained to me the procedure and what to do afterwards etc. After that i got into my gown and got into the bed. 10 minutes later i was wheeled down the hall and sent to sleep under general anesthetic. Just drifted off and had a lovely deep sleep. Woke up back on the ward with no pain at all and dozed for a good hour longer. When i was fully awake the nurses gave me cups of tea and sandwhiches which was great as i was starving. Everything seemed fine until i tried to stand up. A small trickle of blood came out of my penis onto the floor and the minute i saw that i almost fainted. Im fine with blood etc but seeing it come from there was a different story. I was told to lay back down and just relax. I was given some oxygen and felt fine after 5 minutes. Half an hour later i tried again and was ok, still some blood but not alot. I was asked to have a wee and once id gone i was told i could go home! Was given my painkillers and anti swelling tablets and was driven back home. Once home I changed into a loose pair of shorts and just laid in bed trying not to think too much. Had a nice deep sleep.

Day 2:
    Woke up still in no real pain, just twinges rough my glans where the stitches are. Checked the bandages and they looked pretty bloody but i was told to keep them for at least 48 hours. Had a wee sitting down and found out i had the sprinkler effect going on. Was very careful when urinating as i felt like it might hurt but glad to find out it didnt, just a little tender. Hospital phoned later to make sure i was ok so i asked if i could remove the dressing that night. They said that was fine and do sit in a shallow bath with a handful of salt and slowly unravel the dressing.
    This was the part i was dreading, was so nervous as to what id look like and it took me a good 5 minutes to pluck up the courage to go for it. Wasnt as bad as i was expecting. Penis is black n blue and swollen. I was concerned to see there was a little bit of bleeding still. I put a very thin layer of gauze around my shaft and retired to bed. Started to itch slightly which i took to mean things are begining to heal :)

DAY 3:
    Woke up at 4am in a small amount of discomfort, think i had just had a nighttime erection. Checked my dressing and there was bleeding. This was worrying and i ended up just laying there until 8am. Just took it easy today, laying in bed watching TV. At around 6pm I had another salty soak and removed the dressing...NO BLEEDING!! So happy! Decided to leave it out in the open and let things breathe. Have to avoid the tip touching anything as it's really sensative, hope this dies down soon. Had a good look at myself and even though its bruised and swollen, i dont think it looks too bad. Itching coming on bit more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Ive the exact same problem and ive had my appointment with the surgeon so im just waiting on the op date now... Lets hope its before christmas... :)

Amen, brother! Amen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Nickknock28

Well done KrustyDoyle! Hope you have it all taken care of soon :)

Advertisement