Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 i need this

Went to see the consultant yesterday.. And getting it done in 2 weeks! But have to say, im worried after talking to him. First thing I was told is its the most common operation in the world, so there are alot of complaints about decreased sensitivity? How common is it for the sensitivity during sex to be decreased after a circ?.. :/ Then he went on to tell me that there is bleeding sometimes? (Surely this is only during recovery?) But he said I definetly need the operation, and I agree.. I wasnt feeling great about it all throughout this meeting and then at the end, he asks if I would be ok with a blood transfusion if necessary :O and he went onto say that it has never happened one of his patients but some people dont survive these operations :O WTF. PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME IM WORRYING TOO MUCH... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 livindublin

Went to see the consultant yesterday.. And getting it done in 2 weeks! But have to say, im worried after talking to him. First thing I was told is its the most common operation in the world, so there are alot of complaints about decreased sensitivity? How common is it for the sensitivity during sex to be decreased after a circ?.. :/ Then he went on to tell me that there is bleeding sometimes? (Surely this is only during recovery?) But he said I definetly need the operation, and I agree.. I wasnt feeling great about it all throughout this meeting and then at the end, he asks if I would be ok with a blood transfusion if necessary :O and he went onto say that it has never happened one of his patients but some people dont survive these operations :O WTF. PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME IM WORRYING TOO MUCH... :(
    Hey man just to say I've been there with the worrying believe me. Just look at my post a couple above where I nearly cancelled it the night before. 8 days post circ and I have to say I'm delighted I done it. Should have done it years ago and I'm 25. As for bleeding yes there's a little but it's minimal. The surgeon has to advise of this as there's a risk with every type of surgery but the risk here is minimal at the most. As for sensitivity I can't comment yet as I'm out of action for 4-6 weeks post circ. from what I've been advised its a different type of sensitivity. I had pain when I had sex with a girlfriend without a condom so if that's gone I'm happy. I guess everyone is different but one guy above described it as walking on sand with your socks on and then walking on the same sand with your socks off :-). My foreskin never ever could be retracted a centimetre so in my opinion having it removed is the best thing I could do. I'll report back in a few weeks though when it's healed enough for me to get back in the saddle :-)

Worrying is perfectly normal but you'll be glad you got it done.

Thanks for the reply :) im also wondering does it matter what clothes I wear on the day of the operation?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dazaazad

Hey this thread is amazing, pity just discovered it tonight. Going in to have it done at 4 tomorrow. Hope its not too painful and I have no regrets. I'll be sure to post updates and such. I have college exams on Wednesday too :O, they never told me that it could be that sensitive or nothing? Im not putting it off as I may have to wait another year and a half for an appointment!!!Again this thread is a great read :D

Thanks for the reply :) im also wondering does it matter what clothes I wear on the day of the operation?

Make sure to have a tight pair of trunk boxers. It will hold it in place when walking around after leaving the hospital. Over those wear a loose tracksuit. Should be all set then :-). Best of luck man you'll be happy you got it done.

• Advertisement

thanks :) im also wondering would anyone know how long I will need to wait to play sport again after the circ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

This has to be one of the biggest threads on boards?

Really shows up our medical system for what it is.

Pure crap.

Just a question, in primary school did a nurse come round and check that your foreskin could be pulled back all the way with ease?

They did in my school and if a problem was spotted it was treated.

I'm amazed at this thread to be honest, health system in this country is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

dazaazad wrote: »
    Hey this thread is amazing, pity just discovered it tonight. Going in to have it done at 4 tomorrow. Hope its not too painful and I have no regrets. I'll be sure to post updates and such. I have college exams on Wednesday too :O, they never told me that it could be that sensitive or nothing? Im not putting it off as I may have to wait another year and a half for an appointment!!!Again this thread is a great read :D

Yep this thread gave me great encouragement earlier in year when I had the job done..
    Relax all will be good...You will be SO glad you got it done :)

thanks :) im also wondering would anyone know how long I will need to wait to play sport again after the circ?

Depends really .. 3 weeks maybe..depends on the sport ?

Can I add that now many months on from my op... I LOVE IT

Should have gotten it done years ago...no more damned foreskin in the way of everything :rolleyes:

Love the looks, look the feel and love the freedom......

yeah i have to say, I wouldnt have even gone to my GP without this thread.. actually has been a HUGE help reading other people's stories :) thanks guys :)

zippy, soccer or football im talking about? sorry I should have been more specific!

Well lads, got it done almost exactly 48 hours ago now! Was told to take off the bandage in a salt bath yesterday and I did, but there is a fair bit of dried blood around the frenelum area : im wondering is this a problem??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Nip The Tip

Well lads, got it done almost exactly 48 hours ago now! Was told to take off the bandage in a salt bath yesterday and I did, but there is a fair bit of dried blood around the frenelum area : im wondering is this a problem??

from my own experience and from reading that of others, the frenulum takes a lot longer to heal than the rest, and is also a lot more prone to bleeding during post-op healing.
    i had a very dark scab on mine for a while after the op. im sure i did the right thing by leaving it alone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭BigProblem

need to get op done in feb/mar but cant tell work what im getting done, its too embarrasing. what did ye that got it done tell your work? im gonna take 3 weeks off so can say getting a mole removed, anyone got any good excuses?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Nip The Tip

BigProblem wrote: »
    need to get op done in feb/mar but cant tell work what im getting done, its too embarrasing. what did ye that got it done tell your work? im gonna take 3 weeks off so can say getting a mole removed, anyone got any good excuses?

I had a history of knee problems so i said it was a minor procedure on that :)
    Something to do with your legs, feet or lower back are good ideas because then you have an excuse should you be John-Wayne rickets-walking for a few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 anfearbeag

Something to do with your legs, feet or lower back are good ideas because then you have an excuse should you be John-Wayne rickets-walking for a few days!

3 weeks ?? Jesus I was back at work after 3 days....youre not getting your legs cut off ? It does depend on where and how you get the op done - there is a huge difference in the healing time. Avoid public hospitals at all costs, they are butchers, victorian in their methods. Seek out private hospitals/clinics if possible, pay the extra if you can. It makes all the difference.

anfearbeag wrote: »

3 weeks ?? Jesus I was back at work after 3 days....youre not getting your legs cut off ? It does depend on where and how you get the op done - there is a huge difference in the healing time. Avoid public hospitals at all costs, they are butchers, victorian in their methods. Seek out private hospitals/clinics if possible, pay the extra if you can. It makes all the difference.
    Was off work for 5 days myself. I wouldn't be too dismissive of public hospitals to be honest. At the end of the day most of the consultants work out of both public and private hospitals.

I was due to get mine done by a consultant in a high tech private hospital but the hospital rang to say my insurance didn't stretch that far. I called the consultant and he said he'd do it in the public hospital he also works out of. The only difference was that I had an extra 5 week delay. Same surgeon but done in a different hospital. Made no difference to me and I'm over the moon with the results. The 5 week delay didn't bother me too much. Private hospitals are more efficient but at the end of the day it's still the same surgeon with the same skills.

DAY 38

Been a while since I posted an update but have to say getting this done was the best thing I ever done. Back playing rugby now with no bother.

Should have got it done years ago. Still some minimal swelling of inner foreskin but consultant says it can take a couple of months to be 100% healed. For anyone that's interested, in my experience sex is way better now and feels so much better. I've lost no sensitivity and have heightened sensations. Pre-op I couldn't retract my foreskin 1 cm it was so tight. Post-op I'm happier then ever.

Only regret is not having it done years ago!

DAY 17 for me now.

Im happy I got it done, and as everyone else here says : it should have been done sooner.

Not fully healed now of course but on its way. Inner foreskin is still swelled and nearly all my stitches are still in, with some of them showing little sign of coming out. But if reading this thread has taught me anything its to be patient with it.

On sensitivity : its not sore anymore to wear boxers or anything and its not sore rubbing of clothes but at the same time its still too sensitive to clean the pipes :p

But overall, im pleased I got it done.

Thanks for the help lads. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭BigProblem

anfearbeag wrote: »

i am getting it done privately. consultant said i could have 2or3 weeks cert if i wanted it. i work in an office so was just wondering if 2 weeks was enough to take off, need to make up an operation now :p what kind of operation on your knee would you only need two weeks off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tomtom926a

Hi everyone ... Iv been thinking about circumcision for a while now as steroid cream I used has not worked ... My question is do you need a g.p referal to get a circumcision ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tomtom926a

tomtom926a wrote: »
    Hi everyone ... Iv been thinking about circumcision for a while now as steroid cream I used has not worked ... My question is do you need a g.p referal to get a circumcision ...

Or can I make an appointment without one ... I will be going private with this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Two questions please:

1) Is sensitivity reduced as a result of circumcision?
    2) Can you drive right after the the OP ?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

tomtom926a wrote: »
    Or can I make an appointment without one ... I will be going private with this

It all depends on what kind of health insurance plan you have. If you have an HMO, yes, if you have a ppo or an epo. No you do not, but if you are going private with this and the insurnace doesnt cover you. It really doesnt matter.

Where do you live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

kingtut wrote: »
    Two questions please:

1) Is sensitivity reduced as a result of circumcision?
    2) Can you drive right after the the OP ?

Thanks in advance!
    Yes, sensitivity is reduced in the glans as, for the first time, the glans is exposed to friction from clothes towels etc. But it is damn sensitive for a good few weeks until the sensitivity goes away

No you cant drive after afaik. I had a general anastethic so i was advised not to drive for 24 hours and i would not be released until someone could come to collect me. It may differ with a local anastethic

Day 21

Well its 21 days since the Op, and I am really glad I got it done. All stitches are out now I think (there may still be one left) and the only thing left in recovery is the sensitivity and the swelling of the inner foreskin.

Also, for those of you that had it done before:
    I am wondering does all of the head eventually turn the same reddish colour as the the bit that was exposed before the Op?

and

does the inner foreskin just under the head de-swell completely?

thanks in advance :)

also, for anyone considering getting this done, or if you need to get it done.. Its worth it.

Hello tGC,

Not a regular poster here but I am on Boards, posting atm as a guest for confidentiality reasons.

Story is, I only recently discovered that having a tight foreskin wasn't normal, and I had never heard of a frenulum before. Becoming conscious of these facts, I searched the internet and diagnosed my condition as frenulum breve.
    Thing is, I'm not 18 yet, and obviously still living with my parents.

Upon further research, I discovered that a simple surgical solution, known as a frenuloplasty (think I'm right with the name). could solve my problems.

I have been thinking about undergoing this procedure, but the only real problem is discussing it with my parents (it's like openly admitting to them, "yeah I'm gonna be having sex soon" :pac:).

Has anyone else had this operation/have this problem? Is there anyway to combat the problem without surgery?

Thanking you in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ChickenCaesar

Hi all. I've read a bunch of stories, and it's comforting to know that other people are going through some of the same stuff as me.

Anyway, I need some advice/help on my recent circ.

I had it performed 4 days ago ultimately successfully, but at first experienced a large hematoma, which swelled my penis up to a small bleeding mountain - my glans at the top. Needless to say, they took me back into the OR within an hour, drained it, sutured the ruptured vessel, and closed me up again. It was successful, but it left my whole dick bruised. My urologist said that it would regardless heal in the same amount of time as a normal, complication-free circumcision.

I came home, and it would seem my bruising got worse, turning my whole dick near black. Additionally, it started to swell around the base of the shaft, giving it a "buddha belly" of sorts. I saw my urologist the next morning, as he wanted to check to see if everything was well, and he saw it and said it was alright, and that my penis would not look very appealing during the healing process.

So days 2 and 3 were alright, with my dick maintaining a swollen appearance, but getting slightly bigger. I applied the antibiotic ointment (basitracin) I received, as well as took my antibiotic pills, which I just finished yesterday, all the while routinely replacing my dressing due to nighttime erections and them constantly slipping off my now misshapen, triangular-ish penis.

Today, I realized that my shaft has swelled up a bit more and is turning "hard" more. Bruising is subsiding, and my penis color is returning, but my shaft is bulging a tiny bit more, and I'm now worried that the hematoma will/is come/coming back. My first hot shower on day 3 actually made the swelling go down some, but that hasn't been the case since. Ice packs hadn't worked for me since the start, so I've given up on them. I just now took 2 ibuprofen, but into 30 mintues, there's been no change in size or feel.

Should I be worried at all, or is this just the normal swelling kicking in?

Also, my scrotum seems to have been slightly bruised, as it is now darker in appearance, but I've read that that happens after groin surgery pretty often.

By the way - and I'm not sure if this is relevant - there has been barely any pain at all throughout all of this.

Anyway, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I came home, and it would seem my bruising got worse, turning my whole dick near black. .

Holy sh*t!:eek:

registered member also goin unreg's for this Q.

Over the past few months I have also began to look into this as sex was always painful for me and any time my foreskin was fully pulled back it was really painful... sometimes it was a struggle to even get it back over the head after goin soft...

Anyway any time I had sex the pain was too bad that I would not ejaculate... and any time I had sex where my foreskin didnt retract I wasnt feeling any sensation on my penis as the head wasnt exposed... also not ejaculating...

has anyone ever experienced anything similar to this??

With regard my own situation I have been to see a doc and was told the my foreskin is very tight and was referred to a urologist... waiting for the appointment...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Nickknock28

Day 21

and

does the inner foreskin just under the head de-swell completely?

thanks in advance :)

Mine is still going down 3 months after my op. I had very tight stitches and the swelling buldged between them. Once the stitches had come out the buldges remained but are slowly going down. I was worries about this "pie crust" look for a while but i really dont even think about it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 morseendeavour

Long suffering from worsening phimosis and going to have to bite the bullet in March. Been looking into Arte Novi Clinic in Malahide under a sedation.

Anyone experience of this clinic. Shivering in my timbers at the prospect of the operation but want to get it behind me and restore my sex life.

Thanks

PM

Advertisement