Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 buzzzsnip

Long suffering from worsening phimosis and going to have to bite the bullet in March. Been looking into <snip> in Malahide under a sedation.

Anyone experience of this clinic. Shivering in my timbers at the prospect of the operation but want to get it behind me and restore my sex life.

Thanks

PM

Hi. You asked about this clinic...I had my circ done at this clinic and i can tell you you will go far in Ireland to find a service and great clinic like that. I also opted for the sedation and tell you i had absolutely no pain or discomfort from the moment i went to sleep (was awake after 30 minutes and was chatting away with the doc not feeling anything) until the next day when I took my first painkiller and that was also the last!! telling you the laser surgery makes a huge difference and I had very little swelling and was quite bruised, but very very little pain! The stitches was not visible and i had no stitches to be taken out afterwards... hear this can be quite sore!!:eek: I also did not have to return to the clinic, which suited me cause i'm from the country. fantastic job - looks very neat and exactly how i discussed it with the doc. PS - very very private... and was very very well looked after - in and out of the clinic in 3 hours and back into action;) 3 weeks later...no bother... what really amazed me was i had the whole job done ... theatre, anaesthetic and procedure for 730.00... after i had quotes for thousands... still baffle me????

Cheers - write me if you need more info ...buzzzz

tomtom926a wrote: »
    Or can I make an appointment without one ... I will be going private with this

Hi tom-tom.

No, you do not need a GP referral as far as i know. I went to the <snip> and the doc there did a proper exam and explained the procedure and then i had time to consider and study the consent form. i was a bit fussy with what i wanted and the doc took great care to understand and accommodate me with my procedure... did not want the full monty if you understand... it was great to talk to him after my own doc told me this is not done in ireland!! :mad:

Nevertheless, had it done and will never look back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tomtom926a

buzzzsnip wrote: »
    Hi tom-tom.

No, you do not need a GP referral as far as i know. I went to the <snip> and the doc there did a proper exam and explained the procedure and then i had time to consider and study the consent form. i was a bit fussy with what i wanted and the doc took great care to understand and accommodate me with my procedure... did not want the full monty if you understand... it was great to talk to him after my own doc told me this is not done in ireland!! :mad:

Nevertheless, had it done and will never look back.

hi thanks 4 theadvice im booked in for the procedure this friday 27th ... any advice on sensitivity post op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Bartleby1138

Hi there.
    I have been following this thread ever since I had my op on the NHS in Belfast on 20th January - 4 days ago. It was the first time I had ever been in a hospital for myself and the first time I had ever undergone surgery. I'm hoping a wiser head can keep my paranoia levels from running away with me...
    1. Since to op the shaft of my penis is still very swollen in girth and no real bruising has shown up yet from the local anathetic. Should I be expecting it sometime soon and will the swelling go down?
    2. I have some discharge which I think is either lymphatic fluid or something else benign as I could't really call it puss. It is translucent, occasionally mixed with a little blood, and is neither white nor gree. (A good thing, right?) However, it has the tendency to be a little whiffy. During the surgery the doc told me I had a slight infection under my foreskin and prescribed a 7 day course of anti-biotics. Should I be concerned at all?
    3. Bathing and keeping clean - the advice seems to be entirely conflicting. Many people say to keep bathing regularly to keep it as clean as possible, other say not to in case the stitches dissolve too fast. Which is it?
    4. Still getting intermittent bleeding after 4 days. Is this normal?
    5. The whole area is as sensitive as a thousand papercuts on your eyeball, rinsed with lemon and chillies. Normal?
    6. Peeing has become a little more challenging. It was no problem until 4am on day 4 when it felt like I had something jammed in there preventing the pee from escaping. Now each time I pee there is a little droplet of blood. Is this normal?
    7. Time off - I had the op on Friday and still have yet to go back to work (this being Tuesday). I occasionally feel absolutely fine, but only once I hit the afternoon and I have been taking my pain meds according to pre-planned hours rather than as-needed. I spent today striding about in just a T-Shirt. I'm guessing the ladies at work may have something to say about that if I show up that way for work. How long before clothes, underwear and a desk job is bearable?
    I am fully aware that all the above perhaps makes me sound like a little girl. I'm ok with that. It's my penis. It has looked after me over the years and the least I can do is try to look after it after having assaulted it so grievously (incidentally, I had to have the op because of phimosis and have been greatly suffering with 'buyers' remorse' ever since because it still looks like a road traffic accident.)
    Any help or advice gratefully received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

the main thing I'd say to you is that 4 days is too close to the op to make any significant judgement on what'll be normal once you've healed. I think you should go to your doc with your concerns, some of what you've described I experienced too, some I didn't. Today is Tuesday - I would say you'll see a huge improvement by Saturday.
    I've said it before, and it's been borne out again and again, that it doesn't seem to heal at all for about ten days and then it practically heals overnight. It'd be no harm for you to get checked out by your doc tho, if nothing else than for to put your mind at rest.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice TBH. I think I may have been worrying in isolation and getting myself tied up in knots. I've never had surgery of any kind before and it sure ain't like the neat little sutures you see on Grey's Anatomy!
    Anyhoo, it's day 5 and I have just removed the overnight gauze. Slept through till 6am this morning which is the longest I have slept since the op. Woke up with a painful stonker of an erection which I was rather pleased to feel as at least I now know I'm functioning down there.
    The gauze came off ok in the bath and it appears some of the swelling has gone down at the base where the local was inserted but still like a football at the end. There is some peeling, which I am led to believe is normal and I cleaned it the best I could. I think I might have a day of sitting on the sofa with my tackle out watching old movies. I'm pleased at least I feel like that. I love reading and movies and I have been surrounded by both but had neither the inclination, motivation or concentration to watch or read anything.Still drugged up but my appetite appears to be returning - a shame as I managed to lose 6lb over the last 4 days.
    Will keep you posted if I may.

yes, of course, do! It's definitely worrying, especially given the area of surgery, but don't panic yet - it's still very early days.

Hi Tom Tom

Good luck with the procedure coming on... now - have to say I had a lot of bruising but very very little pain afterwards 0- I think i took one painkiller the next day - i really think the laser surgery has a lot to do with the relative low pain afterwards - must say <snip> doc was very skilled - I had no messy bandages and there were no visible sutures that get stuck to clothes and bandages like I am reading around..so the after care is really simple - do nothing - I got a special cream from the doc... brilliant and you put that on the wound for the following days and I WAS BACK IN OFFICE DAY 3 - had bit of discomfort when sitting or moving ... but with a bit of adjustment I was back in full swing at work, no prob. Hope this helps. Cheers

So, day 6 post-op. Woke this morning at 3am with erection pain which bummed me out a little. Went downstairs so as not to disturb the wife and watched Morcambe and Wise in The Riviera Touch which was quite good fun and then dozed under a blanket for an hour or so.
    Soaked off the bandage I had used last night in the bath. Plenty of plasma/lymph/whatever fluidy-stuff had leaked onto the boxers. No real change in swelling or sensation. I phoned the doc as today sees the end o my prescription for antibiotics and I think there is still some infection there as I am still leaking. He has prescribed another 7 day course and a daily salt bath - I'm guessing that's gonna be kind of stingy.
    Should I be bandaging at night or leaving it free? Getting a bit fed up now.

However, the salt baths appear to work like a dinger. Off to bed a little perkier and in less pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 circum222

Had this done in Vincents hospital today. Reading this they gave me no information whatsoever????They said to wash off bandage tomorrow and thats it??No pain killers/extra bandages/fact that my urinating would sprout me in the face???wtf??

So, day 6 post-op. Woke this morning at 3am with erection pain which bummed me out a little. Went downstairs so as not to disturb the wife and watched Morcambe and Wise in The Riviera Touch which was quite good fun and then dozed under a blanket for an hour or so.
    Soaked off the bandage I had used last night in the bath. Plenty of plasma/lymph/whatever fluidy-stuff had leaked onto the boxers. No real change in swelling or sensation. I phoned the doc as today sees the end o my prescription for antibiotics and I think there is still some infection there as I am still leaking. He has prescribed another 7 day course and a daily salt bath - I'm guessing that's gonna be kind of stingy.
    Should I be bandaging at night or leaving it free? Getting a bit fed up now.

I'd be leaving it free at this stage. Get it over and done with!

Significant improvement this morning. Slept just with a pad inside a pair of boxers and didn't wake up until either a full bladder or a hard-on twinged me awake. Went to the loo, looked down and thought, "Hello; I recognise you. Why, if I didn't know any better I would say you looked like my cock." Grat day in the morning. I now look a little less like Robert Shaw's death scene in Jaws and the infection appears to be clearing. May even decide to venture outside later.
    Thanks to all for this invaluable resource. I don't know entirely what everyones' experiences are but I didn't know there were dirrerent types of circumcision, nor was I offered one on the NHS after being on the waiting list for 13 months. I wasn't offered a follow-up consultation and, if it hadn't been for the kindness of my own GP giving me a call to check on me, I would have felt very alone and bewildered.

There are different types?Yesterday the doctor only explained that i need to wash off this bandage today in the bath and said nothing about pain relief. She said i wouldnt even need to visit my gp. I thought I would be back in college today/Monday, how wrong I was considering I could not walk like a penguin after the anasthetic wore off!

Thanks for enquiring circum222. Yes, there are different types of procedures and you would read in this blog that there are many "customised" possibilities for the circumcision. I took a very long time to decide...would say more because I was so confused about the whole issue and could not get my head around the facts flying around even on this blog. I must say again the doc at the <snip> was brilliant examining me and then explained the mechanism of my problem...which by the was was a phimosis - head has never seen the light before!! hehe. He also took great care explaining my options which included removing only the problematic tight inner ring of the foreskin and that allowed me to keep most of my foreskin!! I was delighted, because my partner kind of liked the bit of skin if you know what I mean and i was not ready to be completely exposed!! hehe. The hospital and doc i seen was not interested in discussing any other option than the full monty...and even said the partial circus is not done in Ireland... After consulting the doc at arte novi clinic i was over the moon and for the first time it felt like somebody is actually listening to what i want and how i want to look like!! i opted for the partial circum and never looked back. The doc explained the procedure and the after care was very simple because there was no stitches visible on the outside that stick to your clothes. i special bandage that does not stick to dead blood or the head was put over the head and i could take this off every time i went for a wee.. just put it back when finished and absolutely no pain or discomfort... worst part was waking up at night with a boner... very sore - but the cream he gave me worked the bits!! best is to ask your GP for a local anaesthetic cream to apply...really felt that was great and helped me a lot even going back to work for that first few days. Hope that helps. Cheers

Hey Buzzsnip, thanks for your reply. I am just about to take my bath now and havent seen under my bandage yet. Terrified to say the least :O ....No mention of after care was mentioned at all. Could i pick up non stick bandages in tesco/chemist? I hope mine is only partial aswell but i can see the head of my penis through the bandage so I dont really think ive been lucky. I was told to abstein from sexual activity for 6 weeks, the only reason I got it done is because it was getting tighter and started to bleed during intercourse. Ill post in the morning for more advice. I woke up last night with a boner and wasnt too bad just a tad painful :P

well iv had my partial circumcision done at <snip> in Malahide ... the doctor was very welcoming and discussed in detail my options and my procedure ... i was satisfied with what i was explained and decided to go ahead ... the procedure itself only took 40 minutes with light sedation so i would not feel the injections into my penis ... and local anasthetic and looked great after i saw my helmet for the first time in my life :-p ... he placed a non stick cover on the head and brought me to a room 2 wake up and relax and i was brought tea and a sandwich after which the doctor examined me one more time before discharging me ... i am now at home after 2 trains 2 darts and 2 luas trips and i am bruised and slightly swollen ... i was given a prescription for painkillers and a numbing cream for pain and erections ... i am happy with how everything went and will keep you all posted on the pros and cons as i heal

I think mine is a full circumcision, it goes well below the head. The skin is all blown up behind the head and i cant wear clothes now because its too sensitive. Is it normal for the skin to be blown up behind the head?When can i start wearing clothes?Will the skin stay like a big baloon?Has he left too much skin there?So disgruntled with the hospital no mention of aftercare, going to the gp Monday.

Day 9 and I am dressed, wearing boxers with some padding and pottering about. Went shopping in Sainsbury yesterday with my wife and must admit that the discomfort did edge into pain once or twice but, on the whole, a massive improvement. The auld fella looks substantaiily less like a shark attack but is still leaking lymph onto the padding a little. Cn't complain, really but lookig forward to being able to do something with these erections!

Hi Circum222. Sorry to hear you so concerned. Now I found the name of the dressing - you can get this from any pharmacy - melolin - get the size about 10 cm. Seems your dressings needs to be soaked in the bath if you read around on this blog and once it comes off you can put on your melolin dressing - you will see it has one side shining and this does not stick to your wound or the head!! ask your GP for the anaesthetic cream - i found this really really works well. hope this helps!! cheers

• Advertisement

how long does it take the stitches to dissolve as the doc used the skin he cut off to pad my head ... and i have not got an erection since the procedure on friday is this normal ... its mostly the stitches that concern me

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Snipp

I had a full circumcison last thursday morning. Since iv been practically immobile since, iv spent hours lurking this thread and found the day by day " diary entries" very useful and comforting. So, iv decided to do the same myself in the hope i can help some others to take the big step!
    I was due into hospital at 8:30am, and was knocked out by 9:30!!! (quicker than i was expecting) Woke up around 2 or 3 hours later with the little fella wrapped up snug and painless - only a small amount of blood visible through the compression bandage. I was asked to pass some urine just to make sure everything was ok, and was disharged around 2pm that afternoon. The surgeon prescribed two different types of painkillers, which weren't even that strong, and only enough for a few days anyway! Looking back now, i wish i had asked alot more questions about the after care. All i was told was to take off the bandage in about 2 or 3 days in the shower or bath and then just leave it and it will be fine - i dont think this is the case though. Regardless though, i went to bed that night comfortably.
    Day 2 was the same, no difference as far as i could see.
    Day 3 arrived and it was time for me to remove the bandage!! I spent around 30mins lying in the bath slowly trying to unravel the little man without tugging at the stitches. I eventually got all the bandages off though and when i did, i nearly died! My dick looked completely mutilated! I could barely make out that it was infact once, my wong! That night, i made a botch attemp to bandage it up before going to bed with gauze, vaseline, and surgical tape (which id read on this forum) because it was just too sensitive to leave hanging. Got an awful case of boner the next morning and actually had to get out of bed around 6am to stop it. The bandage had fallen off almost completely and was caught on one of the stitches : /

Woke up again with a failed bandage half hanging on the head. No blood spilled for the first time last night. Had three 30min warm salt baths to hopefully encourage healing around the cut. Left the fella hanging out under my dressing gown for most of the day cause i couldnt bare attempting another bandage. The sensitivity is getting better, i can tap it now without pain or anything so it seems to be slowly improving. The only thing thats worrying me now is the swelling on the underside of hte shaft - its like a balloon right under where the frenulum was! My plan is to leave it for another few days and if it stays, then to give the gp a buzz! Apart from that, its taking longer than i thought to heal. Im due to head back to college in a few days and i can still harld walk, never mind sit! Not to mention i have to go to a house party and head to a club the first day im back for my bfs bday bash! think i might invest in a jock strap or something in case someone bashes off the young fella.

Woke up again with the bandage tugging away at the stitches. The boner situation seems to be under control anyway. Anytime a semi comes along, i concentrate hard ( excuse the pun) and it goes away in a matter of seconds. Again, i continued my "three salt baths a day" ideology, in the hope it would speed up recovery. So far, i think its helping - a scab seems to be forming around the cut area despite how grusome it still looks! As for the swelling, well its worse than ever. Looks like im pregnant under the shaft! From my view when i look down, it looks like a normal lad with a stitch line, but when u look under it, its like i caught it in a door! Sensitivity is getting even better - im walking around with it knocking off my dressing gown and i only have a slight cringe now and then! Im gonna dip the little man in a glass of cold water i think to try and ease the swelling because its getting a bit out of hand! As for the medication, well im still taking both painkillers but i may as well be jsut taking paracetamol - the dose is just not sufficient. Overall i dont see much difference between now and when i took the bandage off but judging by others experience on this forum, that 6 and 7 will have a vast improvement (or so i hope). Il keep posting these if this forum is still alive : P im stuck at the computer all day anyway for the next while : D

Hi Tom Tom - the stitches dissolves as i understand in about 14 days - can you see your stitches? I see he did the same for you - used the tissue under the foreskin to fold back and pad the shaft behind the head to increase the thickness of the shaft ...must say a cool trick and I can see a real difference in my size.. so did my partner and i did not even tell her until she herself remarked that it has increased in thickness.!! was delighted he used the tissue ...had a double bonus ...not only loosing the bits that troubled me, but also walked outs with a bit thicker tool!! Not strange not to have an erection ....yet... they will come back - i felt mine coming on slowly afterwards... don't worry... cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6 morseendeavour

Hey Tom Tom,

Looks like you went down the route of partial circumcision with <snip>

I am scheduled to have a full circumcision under light sedation in March because of phimosis (I am 50) and am literally bricking it as I am not at all good with needles and going under etc.

Is it as bad as I am making it out on my head or is the 45 minutes somewhat easier than that. My current girlfriend is pretty supportive so that is a plus.

Also if you don't mind - can you drive after sedative or is this not an option.

You seem to be fairing out a bit better than some of the other posters when it comes to healing. Have spoken to <snip> and he seems a very decent bloke willing to answer questions.

All the best.:)

Hey Tom Tom,

Looks like you went down the route of partial circumcision with <snip>
    I am scheduled to have a full circumcision under light sedation in March because of phimosis (I am 50) and am literally bricking it as I am not at all good with needles and going under etc.

Is it as bad as I am making it out on my head or is the 45 minutes somewhat easier than that. My current girlfriend is pretty supportive so that is a plus.

Also if you don't mind - can you drive after sedative or is this not an option.

You seem to be fairing out a bit better than some of the other posters when it comes to healing. Have spoken to <snip> and he seems a very decent bloke willing to answer questions.

All the best.:)
    yep i did go down that route and im glad i did ... still a lil discomfort but nothing major ... im not good with needles either and had no choice but to get the op because of phimosis (im 19) the worst part for me was the light sedation into my arm before the local anesthetic ... apart from that it is ok ... <snip> was great and he will answer any questions you have before and after the op ... id advise against driving after any type of sedation to be honest ... private message me if you have any questions

day 6 now and im not doing to bad ... bruising does not look as violent and swelling of the shaft is gone ... my only minor concern would be the swelling of my glans and sensitivity of the head but apart from that everythings looking good ... had my first shower today and really enjoyed it was told not to shower for 3 days after but left it till the pain numbed down have not had to take any painkillers or numbing cream since i went to bed lastnight but kept getting repeat erections which was not fun

honestly i was not bandaged up down there and my stitches are on the inside of my skin because the excess skin was used to pad underneath my head and shaft but i do get pains now and again ... and the doc used a laser for the procedure which does not cause as much damage or irritation as a scalpel knife that's probably another reason im healing pretty good and my shower was day 5 sorry just realized theres a typo lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Finally decided to take the plunge and I'm going to get this done. Noticed a few weeks ago that my foreskin seemed to be getting a bit tighter (couldn't see the head anyway, but felt tighter taking a p*ss).

Have to go to the doctors in a few weeks anyway for something else, so I'll get her to have a look at it then and tell me what my options are (would probably prefer a male doctor, but f*ck paying to go to the doctors twice in the same general time period. Expensive enough as it is)

I'm thinking of going to the <snip> I've seen mentioned here. Because of my job, I can't afford to take too long off work. And even though it's an office job, there can be a lot of walking/movement, so the <snip> way seems to have less of a recovery period. Plus, I live at home and would rather not tell anyone about what I'm having done.

So without knowing too much about what's going to happen, my plan is to hopefully book it for a Friday and take that whole next week off work (so that and the Friday would give me about 9 days to recover), then stay at home and say I hurt my knee to explain walking funny.

Anyone else managed to conceal the fact they've had it done?

Anyone see any flaws with this plan or advice to help me achieve all this?

And thanks to all. Your stories have made the whole thing easier for others to do, especially once you've gotten past the "OH MY GOD MY PENIS LOOKS DISEASED AND MUTILATED" posts and get to the "I'm so glad I had this done" posts

Advertisement