Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travellers in flash cars??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Just try pinning one of them down, they're like Leprechauns, in fact,a friend of mine reckons they're descended from them.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

they are offered houses by the government totally for free.. they won't take them!

it'd mean they'd have an address and have to pay tax like the rest of us!!
    they want to remain unaccountable and anonymous!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hobbes wrote:
    I am curious how people come to this conclusion and how come everyone knows this yet the Revenue commisioners are completly in the dark. :rolleyes:

Whatever their means of income, the vast majority isnt legal. At the very least they are evading tax, at worst they are thieving, illegally claiming and sell dodgy crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭the_menace

What are you talking about, you lot? Travellers are some of the most upstanding, decent members of our society and they contribute more to the development of this country than anyone else and a disproportionate number are NOT involved in criminal activity. You're, eh, bigots if you say any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

I ended up on the wrong end of a road rage incident recently with a traveller on the N4 near Lucan. I flashed my lights at him for changing lanes directly in front of me, with no indicators.
    His first reaction was to slam on his brakes directly in front of me... and give me "the finger"...
    We exchanged "hand guestures", then he manoveured into the bus lane on the left of me and fired something at my car.
    Then he caught up with me at the lights, I locked the doors but my window was wide open. After a heated argument he grabbed my glasses from my face and fired them ahead on the road. I reported him immediately to the Guards, and could "swear" I got his reg number.... must've been false reg plates.

If the Guards don't stop them in the act... they get away with this behaviour for years. I hope those unmarked Traffic corp cars start rolling out in the New Year.

I wrote some very racist remarks just now, and deleted them before hitting the "Submit Reply" button.... Maybe someone in the "Society" forum can tell me what positive contribution the travellers make to Irish Society......

regards,
    Owen

• Advertisement

Don't all rush at once.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

EduMyth wrote:
    I wonder whether some people receive text messages through txtspk and questions if the sender has ever been to school.

I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

OMcGovern wrote:
    I ended up on the wrong end of a road rage incident recently with a traveller on the N4 near Lucan. I flashed my lights at him for changing lanes directly in front of me, with no indicators.
    His first reaction was to slam on his brakes directly in front of me... and give me "the finger"...
    We exchanged "hand guestures", then he manoveured into the bus lane on the left of me and fired something at my car.
    Then he caught up with me at the lights, I locked the doors but my window was wide open. After a heated argument he grabbed my glasses from my face and fired them ahead on the road. I reported him immediately to the Guards, and could "swear" I got his reg number.... must've been false reg plates.

If the Guards don't stop them in the act... they get away with this behaviour for years. I hope those unmarked Traffic corp cars start rolling out in the New Year.

I wrote some very racist remarks just now, and deleted them before hitting the "Submit Reply" button.... Maybe someone in the "Society" forum can tell me what positive contribution the travellers make to Irish Society......

regards,
    Owen

If the other person was a member of the settled community would you ask what positive contribution they have made to Irish society?

Litcagral wrote:
    If the other person was a member of the settled community would you ask what positive contribution they have made to Irish society?

The majority of the settled community usually have jobs, which the taxman knows about, so they contribute to Irish society.
    The scientific term for organisms which take, but give nothing back, are "parasites".

I remember the case just a few years ago, where a traveller ran down a little kid in Tallaght, and the grieving parents were harassed by the travellers to drop the case. They sat in cars/vans outside their house etc.... the distressed parents were in bits on the Kenny Live / Late Late show about the whole incident and on-going witness intimidation.

Yes, my ideas are extreme, but that doesn't invalidate them if they're based on real experiences. I've been the victim of incidents with travellers twice in my lifetime.

Where do I sign up for the "John Ward" fan club ?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭micosavo

we are being brow beaten by all these anti-racist groups that spend all day saying that the Knackers (and lets not beat around the bush here, they are knackers, I liked to see one respond to this thread!) are being given a bad rep by the minority of the travellers. They are all bad.

They have never "subscribed" to our society. They never pay taxes, insurance, nothing, nothing, nothing. Yet, they get full social welfare payments and all politicians and gardai are afraid to say anything because they are afraid of being labelled racists.

Our society has become such that we cannot complain anymore, we cannot say that something is wrong without fear of retribution. I've worked for half my life (15 years). I've paid my share of my wages into the government coffers so if I get my teeth fixed on the PRSI or it goes to help the aged or people who are less well off, all the better.

But I really begrudge any of my money going to people who have only ever contributed to the black economy.

Local joe soap on the ground gets find up to €1,500 for dog poop and rubbish and such. Higher for companies. But all around I see the local councils spending our money providing skips for them and cleaning up after "them" after they leave a particular side of a road in a total mess. One such place was Dun Láoghaire marina. My car gets clamped if i don't pay €1 for hr. They have their caravans all over the place, with burnt out cars and mounds of rubbish

It makes my blood boil. We live in a democracy. I have a right to say my piece. They are a vast minority (and not bloody ethnic!). They are inforcing their will on the majority. I contribute to this country, they do not. We all know what they are. We all have our own stories. I will not entertain peoples excuses about how bad lives they have, how they live in a vicious circle. B******ox! I drive passed the "halting" sites with a car that is always older than the passats, hiaces and whatnot parked outside.

I have no sympathy for them whatsoever. They should all be put on a boat, the boat should be sailed out to the middle of the atlantic and sunk.

Sorry, thats my rant over, a bit harsh to be honest.

But I leave you all with one thought if you managed to make it through my diatribe...

If the boat "Final Solution" did occur; What contribution to our society would we be missing?..........would anybody miss them?

• Advertisement

It strikes me that some of the people here never had any dealings with Travellers, well here's one that did and a word of warning don't. I treated them like everyday people and they have no word and can't be trusted. The day I see otherwise I'll be the first to tell ye all.:(

The only comfort I can take from my unpleasant experieneces with them, is knowing that they live in a dump with the rats.

They're hyper-agressive, with behaviour that's completely outside the norms of society.

micosavo wrote:
    we are being brow beaten by all these anti-racist groups that spend all day saying that the Knackers (and lets not beat around the bush here, they are knackers, I liked to see one respond to this thread!) are being given a bad rep by the minority of the travellers. They are all bad.

They have never "subscribed" to our society. They never pay taxes, insurance, nothing, nothing, nothing. Yet, they get full social welfare payments and all politicians and gardai are afraid to say anything because they are afraid of being labelled racists.

Our society has become such that we cannot complain anymore, we cannot say that something is wrong without fear of retribution. I've worked for half my life (15 years). I've paid my share of my wages into the government coffers so if I get my teeth fixed on the PRSI or it goes to help the aged or people who are less well off, all the better.

But I really begrudge any of my money going to people who have only ever contributed to the black economy.

Local joe soap on the ground gets find up to €1,500 for dog poop and rubbish and such. Higher for companies. But all around I see the local councils spending our money providing skips for them and cleaning up after "them" after they leave a particular side of a road in a total mess. One such place was Dun Láoghaire marina. My car gets clamped if i don't pay €1 for hr. They have their caravans all over the place, with burnt out cars and mounds of rubbish

It makes my blood boil. We live in a democracy. I have a right to say my piece. They are a vast minority (and not bloody ethnic!). They are inforcing their will on the majority. I contribute to this country, they do not. We all know what they are. We all have our own stories. I will not entertain peoples excuses about how bad lives they have, how they live in a vicious circle. B******ox! I drive passed the "halting" sites with a car that is always older than the passats, hiaces and whatnot parked outside.

I have no sympathy for them whatsoever. They should all be put on a boat, the boat should be sailed out to the middle of the atlantic and sunk.

Sorry, thats my rant over, a bit harsh to be honest.

But I leave you all with one thought if you managed to make it through my diatribe...

If the boat "Final Solution" did occur; What contribution to our society would we be missing?..........would anybody miss them?

Couldn't agree more. Particularly about the uber-PC idiots who'll jump down the throats of anyone who complains about anything or anyone these days. It's all very well to start up a thread saying that someone like Grainne Seoige is an ugly, boring bint and yet you're a bigot if you complain about scumbag knackers. It's sadly indicative of how many idiots there are in Irish society and how twisted so many people's logic is on certain issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

the_menace wrote:
    What are you talking about, you lot? Travellers are some of the most upstanding, decent members of our society and they contribute more to the development of this country than anyone else and a disproportionate number are NOT involved in criminal activity. You're, eh, bigots if you say any different.

Never a truer word said! :v:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

OMcGovern wrote:

regards,
    Owen

it's very simple...the f*ckers don't..except for fighting in bars and treating the countryside like their personal dump.
    plus i just saw menace's comments above..very true and screw the pc brigade..and I'd be the first in a long line of volunteers to sink the f*ckers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Sadly someone ****ed up on the genocide shipping list and the Irish are scheduled to sail first before the gypsys, We here at ayrian shipping would like to apologise for any inconvience this may cause, However you should have thought of this before birth.
    Have a nice day.

I don't think anyone's actually suggesting that they all be killed. We know that's just rhetoric from micosavo. However, they should bloody well behave like civilised people and contribute more to society. Apart from putting them on a boat and sinking it (which wasn't meant literally, Ajnag) micosavo's post was absolutely spot on. Parallels with nazi'ism are best left in the playground where they belong. Don't perpetuate yourself by saying that you respect travellers. Because I suspect people who do that don't know many. Just making yourself look a wee bit thick really. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Hmm the humour too much for ya?

You wont be getting my respect either, so no need to worry what i think about travelers, I just like the fact that they scare the living **** out of people like you :)

Ive no allusion to defend travellers, but I dont have to take unsubstanicated bull**** and heresay posted on a public board to heart as evident truth. I think it would be "a wee bit thick really" to just swallow what someone said on the net? Dont you?

I just also happen to think that extreme and reactionary opinions are no better then the pedantic bull**** of pc extremists.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

2kinky wrote:
    ok i'll start again!!!!!
    i was having my lunch in town,then these 2 bmw's,a lexus and a porsche pull up.a large group og men came into the cafe,all with irish accents very loud rude anti-social sat down ordered food .the whole cafe could hear them,by the way they spoke they were not at all anyway ever in school.of the 4 cars 3 were german reg and one uk reg.no tax or insurance on any of the cars.just wondering how do they get these high hend cars and what laws apply to them i terms of travel,paying tax prsi etc??

My brother in law has a beemer with an english reg parked outside me sisters house. reason, he came over by car from the UK.

I love the way people claim that all travellers a criminals, just before they go off to bitorrent and download the latest episode of their favorite US tv series the minute it comes out.

Generalisation it might be, but fcuk it this thread is full of them.

Its christmas. there are going to be a lot of UK and European cars around. besides, so what if they are making enough money to buy these cars.

micosavo wrote:

Firstly I am reporting this post for the terminology used in the above paragraph. and secondly to attend to your above request.

There are knackers in the settled community also. you will find them selling drugs, stealing peoples mobiles in town, shoplifting etc etc.

I pay tax, most travellers I know pay tax. the ones that don't are unemployed. but being unemployed is not a crime. if it was there would be roughly 100-200 thousand people in jail right now. Is there anyone on this site that can claim to have never been unemployed.

You can complain. If people in your area are misbehaving then report it to either the Gardai, or to your local council. I also hope my PAYE keeps your pearly whites in good shape. I have BUPA so i am less dependent on PRSI.

Your generalising now. the number of people who have either bought or sold something on the black economy in the settled community, is probably greater than the number of travellers in the country. Take your drug dealers, your employers who exploit foreign nationals, your shoplifters, your mobile phone thieves etc etc.

Again if you find someone breaking the law, call the guards, it would be more effective than posting hate on the internet.
    It makes my blood boil. We live in a democracy. I have a right to say my piece. They are a vast minority (and not bloody ethnic!). They are inforcing their will on the majority I contribute to this country, they do not. We all know what they are. We all have our own stories.
    there are probably an equal amount of stories about sectarianism from the settled community towards travellers. I had a bad experience with vodafone this morning, it doesn't make every vodafone employee a bastard though.
    I will not entertain peoples excuses about how bad lives they have, how they live in a vicious circle. B******ox! I drive passed the "halting" sites with a car that is always older than the passats, hiaces and whatnot parked outside.

and just by looking at the cars you came to the assumption that they were not working. did you stop and ask if they were working? probably not.

They got along without your sympathy all along, why would they want it now.

well I wouldnt because I wouldnt be here :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Id just like to add my bit and say something. I wouldn't think myself a racist or a bigot, but I used to work in a Shell petrol station and shop about 5 years ago, and the majority of people from the trafvelling community who came in would try to swindle us in some way. A traveller woman would come in and distract one of us at the till looking for cigarettes while her 10 kids in the shop would rob us blind. I saw them doing it. I had 2 other guys coming in looking for 2 pounds worth of diesel, but they never had any intention of paying the money back. Another guy tried to cash a dodgy cheque for 500 pounds !!

on another note though, there was a traveller woman who used to call to our door every saturday and we would help her out with money and food. she was one of the nicest people you could ever meet, and she even gave us all a christmas card at christmas. she had a load of cuts on her arm recently because her husband got drunk and attacked her with a knife ! I hope she's ok now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Yes but there not that easy to find!!!Line from snatch:"You wont find a pikey if he doesnt want to be found". How do you send a summons or anything else to a caravan thats always on the move?

Ahh so thats why. Good thing there where no 'pikeys' in Armeggeon or we would be blaming them for metor strikes.

Or as the saying goes "When you need to prove a factual point it is always best to pick the most related fictional hollywood movie".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

OMcGovern wrote:

If you had sat the new Driving Test exam you would of known that the correct response was do to do nothing. Saying "Flash your lights" would of failed that question as it is inciting road rage.
    OMcGovern wrote:
    I remember the case just a few years ago, where a traveller ran down a little kid in Tallaght, and the grieving parents were harassed by the travellers to drop the case. They sat in cars/vans outside their house etc.... the distressed parents were in bits on the Kenny Live / Late Late show about the whole incident and on-going witness intimidation.

Do you have a link to that or more details in question regarding that.

I am also curious how the fuk people know they (and when I say they I mean all of them) don't pay taxes. Do yous take a census or something?

pontovic wrote:
    Id just like to add my bit and say something. I wouldn't think myself a racist or a bigot, but I used to work in a Shell petrol station and shop about 5 years ago, and the majority of people from the trafvelling community who came in would try to swindle us in some way. A traveller woman would come in and distract one of us at the till looking for cigarettes while her 10 kids in the shop would rob us blind. I saw them doing it. I had 2 other guys coming in looking for 2 pounds worth of diesel, but they never had any intention of paying the money back. Another guy tried to cash a dodgy cheque for 500 pounds !!

on another note though, there was a traveller woman who used to call to our door every saturday and we would help her out with money and food. she was one of the nicest people you could ever meet, and she even gave us all a christmas card at christmas. she had a load of cuts on her arm recently because her husband got drunk and attacked her with a knife ! I hope she's ok now.

So you had a bunch of troublesome youths who coincidentally were travellers. what is your point? and I love the use of the now cliched term "I am not a racist but..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

the_menace wrote:
    contribute more to the development of this country than anyone else

You mean with the rubbish and crap they leave lying around everywhere?

Actually, that's one of Ireland's favourite past-times, dumping rubbish in every ditch and hole that can be found..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Beer is Life

So you had a bunch of troublesome youths who coincidentally were travellers. what is your point? and I love the use of the now cliched term "I am not a racist but..."

Isnt it a shame it has to be said at all just for someone to get their point across without being labelled a racist when they obviously arent.
    Most of the people here have mentioned actual occurances anyway so you have nothing to stand on. "Once bitten, twice shy". I think thats just about the size of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

no they were'nt a bunch of troublesome youths actually, although I had my fair share of them too. Personally I dont think all travellers are bad people, but there are some, just like there are bad people from all demographics, but the bad name travellers have is not entirely unjustified.

thats just my piece, i dont want to argue with you because it would go on for too long. i didnt ask for any of your stick so please dont give it, and no, i'm not a racist. thanks.

Isnt it a shame it has to be said at all just for someone to get their point across without being labelled a racist when they obviously arent.

but they are not making any point. they are just stating experiences they have had. when a customer walks into a shop there is a fifty percent chance that the he/she is going to be either a nice person or a complete prick. it doesnt matter whether they are traveller, black, jew, muslim, homosexual, space alien, whatever. It is indeed bigotry to make generalisations about a group of people. let us call a spade a spade.

the term "i am not a racist but..." in my experience, is 99 out of every hundred times I have heard it, followed by a racist comment.

i am not a racist but these blacks should go back to their own country
    I am not a racist but there are too many eastern europeans in the country
    Most of the people here have mentioned actual occurances anyway so you have nothing to stand on. "Once bitten, twice shy". I think thats just about the size of it.

I am not questioning the validity of the anecdotes of the people posting here, but you have to agree. If I were to start a thread about romanian beggers, or nigerian fraudsters, I would have numerous replies from people who have been stung by them. It doesn't prove that the majority of Romanians, or Nigerians are dodgy though does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Beer is Life

i am not a racist but these blacks should go back to their own country
    I am not a racist but there are too many eastern europeans in the country
    OT but I dont see how this could be labelled as racist. In order to be racist, you must first hate, no? Most Irish people i hear saying that wouldnt hurt a fly, they just have legitimate concerns that the moral police like to call racist. Its out of control (the moral police) and people are afraid to speak thier mind in this country, and thats an absolute disgrace.
    I am not questioning the validity of the anecdotes of the people posting here, but you have to agree. If I were to start a thread about romanian beggers, or nigerian fraudsters, I would have numerous replies from people who have been stung by them. It doesn't prove that the majority of Romanians, or Nigerians are dodgy though does it?

Nope, but its only common sense to be more wary and suspicious of a person who shares the same charecteristics of someone who has done you in the past. Like, for example, a bunch of scumbags beats you up, wouldnt you feel afraid whenever you saw a bunch of scumbags again? Even though this second group never harmed you before? Even though its "wrong" to catagorize like that, i think it some kind of survival thing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Like, for example, a bunch of scumbags beats you up, wouldnt you feel afraid whenever you saw a bunch of scumbags again? Even though this second group never harmed you before? Even though its "wrong" to catagorize like that, i think it some kind of survival thing?

If one was beaten up by a group of white, middleaged men who live in three bed semi's in a suburban area would one feel afraid when meeting a group like that again??

If the second group of 'scumbags' never harmed you why would you consider them to be scumbags??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement