Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travellers in flash cars??

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

Hobbes wrote:
    http://www.piracyisacrime.com/bigissue/terrorists.php
    5 second google. As I said it is the RIAA adverts that declare this although that site appears to have more information.

Honestly Hobbes, you're not actually putting up any intellectual argument whatsoever, you're simply acting as an internet search engine. You'll stop me by boredom, not by some eloquent response.

Billy_the_squid was talking about internet users in relation to software/intellectual property piracy. Thats nothing to do with organised mass produced DVD copying, more to do with cracks for commercial programs, bittorrent sites etc. Nothing to do with organised crime, especially since no money changes hands. That branch of your argument is dead... let it go.
    Hobbes wrote:
    It is a bit of stretch to equate one incident to the whole population of a group too. I also posted you the DPP response earlier in regards to that issue. It was not traveller related and more a problem with how our criminal system works.

Who said one incident ? I've been their victim twice.
    From this thread, I reckon 75% of the people who posted personal (first hand) stories to tell had bad experiences with travellers, from robberies, stonings and attacks.

How on earth can you say that two traveller families, who were engaged in ramming each others cars, but ended up pinning a 5 year old girl to the wall, paralysing her for life with horrific injuries "was not traveller related and more a problem with how our criminal system works".

They fought like animals on our roads, with no concern for anyone else.
    Whether they got prosecuted for it is a "justice" issue, I used it as an example of the worse of their behaviour. That includes the repulsive intimidation of the family after that incident too. The parents were so desparate that they threatened to go on hunger strike, and went on national tv, to get the minister of justice to do "something" for them.

I've said what I wanted to say here.
    I'm happy to see that the PC bridage hasn't gagged everyone in Ireland, and plenty of people make up their own minds by using their own eyes and ears,
    rather than believe leaflets and websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

you're not actually putting up any intellectual argument whatsoever, you're simply acting as an internet search engine

Actually I have been putting forward an argument. The problem is that anytime I say anything I am accused of lying. Hence the reason I post sources to where I got official information from.

Which is funny because everyone with a negative story is taken as speaking the gospel yet earlier in the thread one of those anti posters claimed to work for the Dublin Housing Authority which was pointed later he didn't. Another claimed to be working in schools with travellers yet when I asked for a professional opinion on how to deal with a solution to the problem got no response (which would imply they aren't as professional as they made out). Most people who have worked in areas for some time tend to put forward constructive critism in relation to issues they see, where as those not in that area or new to it tend to give negative critism.

So bored with links? Fine I won't post anymore and you can assume I have already researched what I have mentioned, although tbh I prefer people checking up what I am reading. I have no problem being proved wrong on what I have read, etc but being called a liar for the sake of it i draw the line at.
    Who said one incident ?

You did when you were talking in relation to the girl being run over. You were trying to infer that (a) They got off because they are travellers which was is not true and (b) that one incident is reflective of a majority.

Has there been other incidents? Of course there have, I never at any point deny that. I do however say that there is no proof that the majority are criminal elements and the anti people here have yet to show any corrolation as such beyond stories, which I can find numerous reports from various official sources that say that the majority are not connected with Crime.

You make the accusation that it is the majority it is generally up to you to back it up. Saying "Well there is no proof therefore I am correct" is a fallacy.
    From this thread, I reckon 75% of the people who posted personal (first hand) stories to tell had bad experiences with travellers, from robberies, stonings and attacks.

The racism site (forget if I posted it on this or another thread). It has documented racist attacks. More stories then what have been posted here. Should that infer that all Irish people are racist because there are so many racist incidents? No it shouldn't.
    How on earth can you say that two traveller families, who were engaged in ramming each others cars, but ended up pinning a 5 year old girl to the wall, paralysing her for life with horrific injuries "was not traveller related and more a problem with how our criminal system works".

I have already given you a link to the video feed of the DPP saying exactly this. It is not me making the claim, it is him.

Clearly from the report the issue is with the justice system and they were not let off because they were travellers but because there was not enough evidence to create a case.

Go back and look if you don't believe me.
    The parents were so desparate that they threatened to go on hunger strike, and went on national tv, to get the minister of justice to do "something" for them.

I am with the parents. They should get Justice, however it does not draw away from the fact that them being travellers had nothing to do with the conviction not being put forward.

I would like to see a seperate thread on this as I would be intrested to know if the DPP process of not commenting on cases or making the information public is still in effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Hobbes, in all my time as a member of internet forums I dont think I have ever come across anyone as stubborn and unwilling to budge as yourself. You may take that as a compliment but the fact is that

a- You posted misleading/false statistics and information

b- I seem to know more about a Traveller war, involving guns, in your area, than you do. Actually, no, Ill rephrase that. I believe you DO know its going on. I believe that living in the locality you couldnt not know. However, you are choosing to pretend here that it isnt happening

c- You seem to think my arguement has no relevence because I compared your attitude to that of a sleazy lawyer in an admittedly fictional tv show

d- Because travellers are not a different race, stats on their representation in the justice system are not available afaik. You seem to use this politically correct omission of information to suggest that Travellers may well only be 1% of the prison population, if that.

monument wrote:
    Oh! It's my turn to guess now... Gopher is trying to prove his point by not replying to my posts.

Your post preceeding mine didnt contain anything worth replying to. I dont think there are the same percentage of settled people having massive families for welfare reasons? You are correct, I dont. I dont have the figures to hand, but it is a fact that Traveller women do have a higher fertillity rate than settled women. Just because I dont have the health board report stating this dont pretend its not true. 50% of Travellers are under 15. 50% of the gen pop in the Dublin area are under 25 (including 16-25) iirc. Do you really think a group with such a large unemployment rate should have such large families?

I felt at the time the answer to your question was so obvious it wasnt worth replying to. Travellers marry younger than settled folk, generally speaking, therefore they are in a relationship longer and thus are more likely to have more children.

Honestly, do you see no correlation between anti traveller feeling and crime? There are many many decent people living in notorious gangland blackspots such as Blanch, Corduff, Mulhuddart, Fortlawn etc etc. I know this because Ive met them, lived among them. So how come the only traveller I ever met who i felt didnt behave aggressively was the guy who my friend jumped on? (i actually included that story to show that yes, very occasionally traveller violence/threats are provoked by the settled community. To show balance, that yes, Id met one traveller whos behaviour in the situation was understandable, compared to the other four who were aggressive, menacing and smelly. The smell thing is not a racist comment or a generalisation btw, i am referring to the fact I sat beside a couple who smelled of stale milk for an hour while their 3 kids ran riot on the bus. That is a fact, unfortunately I dont have an official link to prove this occured, therefore its clearly lies eh Hobbes? Me injecting the balance re the guy my mate jumped on was used against me. Pathetic)

Regarding the constant demands for links in relation to info posted, Ireland has far less newspapers online than say the UK. If i read it 6 months ago in the Evening Herald, Star, Sunday World admittedtly I cant prove it, I can only hope the people reading this thread will have read the article i mention and therefore agree with my point.

And before you say the EH/SW etc arent worth wiping your arse with, personally I dont think there is a more racist, poorly edited rag than the indo. It possibly hit its lowest point when Stormfront regular Dark Rosaleen got a letter printed which claimed she had seen a tv show on a sky digital Nigerian channel that dealt specifically with the process of applying for welfare and free housing in Ireland. If you read SF regularly for sh1ts and giggles like myself, its clear this woman is actually insane, the posts are utterly hilarious (the best allegation being when she was harrassed for money by a gang of 30 stone albino Nigerians with 8 kids each, i sh1t you not). These days broadsheets are sued more than tabloids, mainly by politicians. The "Correction" section of the indo has become more regular than the death notices.

Also, I like the way you down Irish musicians for previously not having paid tax, but then down us for stealing their music. This is off topic in the extreme but I think anyone who saw Russell Simmons wife show MTV around their mansion, complete with gold taps, gold toilets and a live- in fashion designer will agree stealing music is for the good of humanity:D

Hobbes wrote:
    You were trying to infer that (a) They got off because they are travellers which was is not true and (b) that one incident is reflective of a majority.

I was not inferring that they got off because they were travellers.
    I was giving an extreme example of their behaviour.
    There's no smoke without fire..... cough, cough.... struggles to switch off all the smoke alarms
    Hobbes wrote:
    I do however say that there is no proof that the majority are criminal elements and the anti people here have yet to show any corrolation as such beyond stories, which I can find numerous reports from various official sources that say that the majority are not connected with Crime.

You make the accusation that it is the majority it is generally up to you to back it up. Saying "Well there is no proof therefore I am correct" is a fallacy.

I have never said that they were all criminal.
    Way back in my earliest postings I asked what they contribute to Irish society. With a 75% male unemployment rate (quoted by someone earlier) and large families, on average, spread across the whole group, they would
    be considered a liability not an asset on the auld Taxmans balance sheet.
    Add to that the anti-social behaviour, littering, and many incidents of violence... and they show no shows of improvement.
    Hobbes wrote:
    The racism site (forget if I posted it on this or another thread). It has documented racist attacks. More stories then what have been posted here. Should that infer that all Irish people are racist because there are so many racist incidents? No it shouldn't.

I read that site, there were no violent incidents reported against travellers in 2004 (latest data available). A lit firelighter under a parked car.... graffiti..... a web site posting....
    Hobbes wrote:
    I have already given you a link to the video feed of the DPP saying exactly this. It is not me making the claim, it is him.

That link is irrelevant.
    It just says that they could not prove which one of the travellers was driving.
    It was the act itself, which myself and the entire civilised population of Ireland found repulsive...... second to that was that they got away with it,
    and intimidated the family afterwards to drop the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Hobbes wrote:
    1. Travellers pay taxes just like everyone else. There are probably some that don't just like there are probably some settled people who don't pay taxes.

Some of them do, some of them don't. The ones on offical halting sights have a fixed address, but how many are on offical halting sights? One of the things traveller groups have called for is a huge increase in halting sights, so obviously not all do (certainly not the 99% you claim)

But then I wasn't saying anything negative about travellers, I was pointing out that that is just the tax system we have in this country. It is nothing to do with travellers themselves, and in fact the system is set up so far more settled self employed people can get out of claiming large portions of tax. To claim, as the OP did, that it is unfair that some travellers have a lot of money while being able to get out of paying tax is ridiculous when far far more settled people are able to do the same thing while being supposed to be fully inside the tax system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

@gopher

most of your post is directed at Hobbes so I will let him answer that. only to say that you providing anechdotes and claiming that your opinion is fact based on those anecdotes is just as misleading and false. I find evidence from statutory bodies such as the CSO more trustworthy than someone's opinion.

While you claim that travellers seem to get away with all sorts of crime, you have also posted about instances where travellers have commited crime and been convicted of crime, thus contradicting yourself.

You have also posted the following about the family of Francie Barrett earlier in this thread which i wish to take you up on.
    Freelancer, so what, the guys family are retired travellers? I thought the big thing for travellers now was to be provided with proper built housing but at the same time preserve their cultural identidy. So what, once a traveller buys/rents a house, hes no longer in the community? And do you also deny that his family are scum?

I have met Francie Barrets family. back in August of 1999 when they were still living on the halting site. A relative of mine lived on the same halting site who passed away and we went up to Galway to bury him. Their halting site was spotless. None of the family either drink or smoke, and all of his kids, were sporting school uniforms. They also offered us somewhere to stay the night when we went up, and there must have been about six of us that went up. I hope to Christ you are not implying by the last sentence in the quote above that the Barrett family are scum because they are anything but scum.

I am appauled at the use of words such as "idiot" and "moron" to refer to people who disagree with the anti-traveller camp in this thread. The opposing side in this discussion, (if you can even call it that now) accuse the travelling community of being agressive, while at the same time they use words such as these.

some other things I want to take you up on.
    Do you really think a group with such a large unemployment rate should have such large families?

Birth control goes against the religion of most Travellers. That religion being Catholosism. According to Census 2002 over 21,000 of the 23,000 members of the travelling community identified themselves as Roman Catholic. That is the first thing. The second thing is that it is not your place or mine to decide who should and shouldnt be allowed to have children. If we are expected to show tolerance to women who wish to not have children or have abortions even, then we should be equally tolerant to those that choose to have children.
    And before you say the EH/SW etc arent worth wiping your arse with, personally I dont think there is a more racist, poorly edited rag than the indo. It possibly hit its lowest point when Stormfront regular Dark Rosaleen got a letter printed which claimed she had seen a tv show on a sky digital Nigerian channel that dealt specifically with the process of applying for welfare and free housing in Ireland. If you read SF regularly for sh1ts and giggles like myself, its clear this woman is actually insane, the posts are utterly hilarious (the best allegation being when she was harrassed for money by a gang of 30 stone albino Nigerians with 8 kids each, i sh1t you not). These days broadsheets are sued more than tabloids, mainly by politicians. The "Correction" section of the indo has become more regular than the death notices.

1. The evening herald is run by the same people as the independent

2. they are on line at unison.ie (you might have to register for free with them though)

so while citing the Evening Herald you do acknowledge that they are not very reliable when it comes to the facts. like you said, their corrections are more frequent than their obituaries.
    OMcGovrin wrote:
    Add to that the anti-social behaviour, littering, and many incidents of violence... and they show no shows of improvement.

You should take a walk into town on a saturday night. any town.

Also being unemployed is not a crime. This is my opinion, but employers with atitudes like yours would make coming off the live register more difficult for a traveller.
    I read that site, there were no violent incidents reported against travellers in 2004 (latest data available). A lit firelighter under a parked car.... graffiti..... a web site posting....

Oh hate crimes are OK so as long as they are not violent. I didn't know that.

Wicknight wrote:
    Some of them do, some of them don't. The ones on offical halting sights have a fixed address, but how many are on offical halting sights? One of the things traveller groups have called for is a huge increase in halting sights, so obviously not all do (certainly not the 99% you claim)

Currently the count of transient travellers is approx 1,200 who are do not reside at halting sites (ilegally halting). During holiday season up to 2,000 travellers are on the move (that includes the previous figure).

99% would refer to those in halting sites and those that live in houses.

OMcGovern wrote:
    I was giving an extreme example of their behaviour.
    There's no smoke without fire..... cough, cough.... struggles to switch off all the smoke alarms

You will have to do better then that here.
    be considered a liability not an asset on the auld Taxmans balance sheet.

So what would you recommend as a solution then?

Again there is no conclusive proof that the majority are like this. Also can you show me where you got details that it shows no sign of improvement?

there were no violent incidents reported against travellers in 2004 (latest data available). A lit firelighter under a parked car.... graffiti..... a web site posting....

Again, the organisation has only been in existance a couple of years and they only report that which is directly reported to them. The more that know about it the more it appears to be growing. Compare number of reports vs the first two years.
    That link is irrelevant.

Well I am sorry if you think the DPP is the liar there is no reasoning with you.
    second to that was that they got away with it,
    and intimidated the family afterwards to drop the case.

First up they haven't gotten away with it. The case is still open. Intimidating the family would of done dick and also I am curious why would they intimidate them if they already got away with it?

Secondly can you quote more then one source of the intimidation comment? I can find only one news report of it and it is very brief in its comment. (also I personally tend not to take 1 news story that doesn't have others as questionable).

Tha Gopher wrote:
    a- You posted misleading/false statistics and information

Incorrect yes. Thanks for pointing those small points out however posting those wrong (which I admit to) in no way invalidates anything else.

I also believe I asked you to get your own statistics to prove that most Travellers are involved in crimes (seeing as I made a mess of it as you said).
    I seem to know more about a Traveller war, involving guns, in your area, than you do.

Again hows about some links to it. There have been shootings recently in coolock, muggings, etc in general area but for the most part I am not aware of any major gun war nearby.
    Because travellers are not a different race, stats on their representation in the justice system are not available afaik.

So by that rational you can't claim that the vast majority/majority are criminal. Thats what you are basically saying. Yet as I have mentioned I have posted official sources which reference that the majority are not causing trouble at all.

Btw Travellers are considered a different enticity.
    You seem to use this politically correct omission of information to suggest that Travellers may well only be 1% of the prison population, if that.

I never mentioned anything whatsoever about prison population figures. Do you have them?
    Honestly, do you see no correlation between anti traveller feeling and crime?

Look it has already been pointed out that yes crimes exist within the traveller community. The point you are trying to infer is that by that rationale that a large number of travellers are involved in crime. When you can prove this beyond "feelings" then I might take you seriously.

Ok on the matter of 38 percent of Iriish internet users (a community which everyone in this thread is a part of) and its comparison to an as yet undisclosed percentage of travellers (another community within Irish society) involved in crime, violent or otherwise.

both software piracy and entertainment piracy (DVD ./ CD / illegal MP3s etc) can be linked to violent crime and terrorism.
    OMcGovern wrote:
    Or, as I firmly suspect, are you simply believing the adverts on before the films in the cinema/DVD's ?

There are laws in this country about publicly stating false statements. It would not be in the interest of the distribution companies to tell lies. There is evidence to back up the claim that pirated software and such does help to fund organised crime and terrorism. So the 38 percent of those having a go at travellers and claiming that piracy is a victimless crime are seriously misguided.

This is not from one of those advertisements you see at the cinema, nor is it from one of those advertisements which are at the start of your DVD purchase, but from INTERPOL.
    http://www.interpol.int/Public/ICPO/PressReleases/PR2003/PR200319.asp

I know it is a bit of a tangient, but as the issue came up, and an accusation was made, I felt that it had to be addressed.

Incidentily this thread wasnt started about violent crime in the travelling community.

• Advertisement

Billy, if you actually bothered reading my post you would see that was in reference to X Factor winner Shayne Wards family. I never mentioned Francie Barrett.

God this thread gets better and better. :D

And what constitutes a race hate attack against travellers? After being conned out of a sum of money by travellers when he attempted to buy a fishing rod off them, a cousins mate retalliated by showing up at the illegal encampment by the river in the dead of night. Along with his brothers they managed to push two of the travellers vehicles into the river and unsuccessfully attempted to burn two caravans before being chased and fleeing. Is this legal? Of course not. But Ive a feeling the likes of Hobbes would regard this as racism rather than revenge. When the fact is that if I had conned the guy, he would have shown up at my house and done pretty much the same to my property, it would be classed as general assault/vandalism. But when its travellers it seems it absoloutely was motivated by nothing more than racism. You are so big on links and evidence, well, until the perps of an attack on travellers are caught, generally the motive is not clear.

btw I thought Id just cut off Hobbes before he comes out with "so, you endorse burning caravans that could very well contain sleeping children yet you are sympathetic to the plight of the little Tallaght girl". I didnt carry out this attack. I had nothing to do with it. Ive every sympathy with the parents of the two boys who died in Clondalkin (albeit accidently afaik). Theoretically if I had been conned*, Id have been satisfied with writing off the cars but anyway, thats him and this is me

Also, considering the amount of CD burners that were found at Dunsink churning out thousands of DVDs and CDs even mentioning the fact many Irish net users use it for downloading copywrighted material is just the icing on the cake. Tbh of the tracks I downloaded on Kazaa, ive got the vast majority of the albums they come from.

* I have been, as said previously. We attempted to get the Gardai to take action, they just stopped short of laughing at us (what me and the bird were buying wasnt strictly legal, but it was victimless and not causing any distress to any member of the public or anyones property). We told the cops the truth, that we had reason to believe a group of travellers were in posession of certain items illegally. Fair enough, revenge more than disgust was our main motivation, but thats irrelevant. They took no action.

I knew immediately the guy was a traveller and was wary, however herself basically says "come on, theyre not all bad". Her good natured, trusting "give them a chance" approach to the situation cost her 50 euro. Ive a feeling Hobbes is heading for a similiar fall if he practices what he preaches. He will no doubt accuse me of hypocracy, labelling me as a criminal because of this. Before you do, know that if you have ever driven at 61 mph in the 60 mph zone, ever been drunk in a pub, nightclub or public place, ever bought/used an illegal substance, ever bought alcohol under the age of 18, ever bought a pint for your 17 year old friend/relative, ever skipped school, YOU HAVE BROKEN THE LAW. And breaking speed limits poses a risk to innocent people around you, what we were doing did not.

With a Garda force like this is it any wonder my cousins mate did what he did? If Padraig Nally shoots dead a traveller who was himself commiting an illegal act, then Padraig Nally gets locked up. If two settled people are conned whilst entering an admittedly illegal but victimless transaction with travellers it is a seemingly different story.

Hobbes wrote:
    OMcGovern wrote:
    there were no violent incidents reported against travellers in 2004 (latest data available). A lit firelighter under a parked car.... graffiti..... a web site posting....
    Again, the organisation has only been in existance a couple of years and they only report that which is directly reported to them. The more that know about it the more it appears to be growing. Compare number of reports vs the first two years.

Hobbes, you were the one who quoted that report as proof of racist attacks against the travellers. I read it, and there were no reports of any physical assaults on travellers, nor even anyone verbally abusing them to their face.
    (latest 2004 figures) Your evidence is empty....
    Hobbes wrote:
    Well I am sorry if you think the DPP is the liar there is no reasoning with you.

Please show me where I said, or thought, the DPP was a liar ?
    Hobbes wrote:
    First up they haven't gotten away with it. The case is still open. Intimidating the family would of done dick and also I am curious why would they intimidate them if they already got away with it?

"They haven't gotten away with it?"
    You're the one whose reason has failed you.... this sort of knee-jerk response, without thinking it through, really harms your credibility badly.
    None were charged with dangerous driving, or other serious offenses.

At the time, they didn't know whether they were going to get away it in, so they did intimidate the family. The parents said so on the Late Late Show... I remember it well. The travellers just sat outside their house in cars.
    This was also mentioned in the weblink article... they had to move from their house in Tallaght for "fear of intimidation".

By the way, I was never highlighting the injustice of them "getting away with it".... I was highlighting their violent tribal nature.
    Hobbes wrote:
    Secondly can you quote more then one source of the intimidation comment? I can find only one news report of it and it is very brief in its comment. (also I personally tend not to take 1 news story that doesn't have others as questionable).

<sarcasm>
    Yeah, hold on while I pull the full Garda report out of my ass !
    </sarcasm>

You demand multiple weblinks, while providing empty reports yourself.... I'm not impressed.
    There are laws in this country about publicly stating false statements. It would not be in the interest of the distribution companies to tell lies. There is evidence to back up the claim that pirated software and such does help to fund organised crime and terrorism. So the 38 percent of those having a go at travellers and claiming that piracy is a victimless crime are seriously misguided.

Can't believe you're still flogging this dead horse argument... I destroyed it earlier today. Only organised mass produced piracy funds crime and terrorism.

(for another topic really but to Educate our Billy)
    If hypothethically I use Bittorrent to download the latest Spiderman movie, which criminal organisation do I fund ? Answer.... none.
    And you could also argue that without Bittorrent I probably wouldn't bother seeing the movie, so the movie industry has not actually lost any revenue, because it wasn't going to get any.

But as I mentioned, the thing that personally bothers me is the attacks and robberies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 BizMaker

BizMaker wrote:
    As an aside to my aside: While I do not agree with most of Hobbes assertions, fair play to him for battling against the masses.

I would like to withdraw this statement.

Initially it seemed that Hobbes was offering an alternative side to the discussion, but now it appears that his arguments have deteriorated to the state of “political correctness gone mad”.

The way that he ignores or discounts emotional personal experiences from Board members is astounding.

The antagonistic rationale of some of his arguments has probably swayed neutral and link-minded individuals to the opposite side. (And no Hobbes, I cannot provide a web link to support this claim).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Regarding the constant demands for links in relation to info posted, Ireland has far less newspapers online than say the UK. If i read it 6 months ago in the Evening Herald, Star, Sunday World admittedtly I cant prove it, I can only hope the people reading this thread will have read the article i mention and therefore agree with my point.

Therefore, if I can find enough articles about people from any area of Dublin etc, I can conclude that the majority of people of the same area carry out what people in these cases have done.

If the cases involve anything from tax dodging to petty crime, this is how your logic can be transferred.
    Tha Gopher wrote:

Actually I’d read the Sunday World or the Evening Herald, and wipe my arse on the Indo. I might even read the Indo the odd time, but the only time you’ll get me near Stormfront is been linked to something from boards. But that’s really here nor there.
    Tha Gopher wrote:
    Also, I like the way you down Irish musicians for previously not having paid tax, but then down us for stealing their music. This is off topic in the extreme but I think anyone who saw Russell Simmons wife show MTV around their mansion, complete with gold taps, gold toilets and a live- in fashion designer will agree stealing music is for the good of humanity:D

Is this directed at me? I’d see myself a reasonably neutral on this, I don’t have a problem with all artist not paying tax, just the rich ones. You might want to read this gem of I’ve wrote where I’m sure I’d be called biased by the other side… Illegal downloaders, but best customers?

I don’t know how this got into this thread, but I just wanted to set the record straight. I'm sure it's back on topic now anyway.

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Billy, if you actually bothered reading my post you would see that was in reference to X Factor winner Shayne Wards family. I never mentioned Francie Barrett.

And what constitutes a race hate attack against travellers? After being conned out of a sum of money by travellers when he attempted to buy a fishing rod off them, a cousins mate retalliated by showing up at the illegal encampment by the river in the dead of night. Along with his brothers they managed to push two of the travellers vehicles into the river and unsuccessfully attempted to burn two caravans before being chased and fleeing. Is this legal? Of course not. But Ive a feeling the likes of Hobbes would regard this as racism rather than revenge. When the fact is that if I had conned the guy, he would have shown up at my house and done pretty much the same to my property, it would be classed as general assault/vandalism. But when its travellers it seems it absoloutely was motivated by nothing more than racism. You are so big on links and evidence, well, until the perps of an attack on travellers are caught, generally the motive is not clear.

btw I thought Id just cut off Hobbes before he comes out with "so, you endorse burning caravans that could very well contain sleeping children yet you are sympathetic to the plight of the little Tallaght girl". I didnt carry out this attack. I had nothing to do with it. Ive every sympathy with the parents of the two boys who died in Clondalkin (albeit accidently afaik). Theoretically if I had been conned*, Id have been satisfied with writing off the cars but anyway, thats him and this is me

Also, considering the amount of CD burners that were found at Dunsink churning out thousands of DVDs and CDs even mentioning the fact many Irish net users use it for downloading copywrighted material is just the icing on the cake. Tbh of the tracks I downloaded on Kazaa, ive got the vast majority of the albums they come from.

* I have been, as said previously. We attempted to get the Gardai to take action, they just stopped short of laughing at us (what me and the bird were buying wasnt strictly legal, but it was victimless and not causing any distress to any member of the public or anyones property). We told the cops the truth, that we had reason to believe a group of travellers were in posession of certain items illegally. Fair enough, revenge more than disgust was our main motivation, but thats irrelevant. They took no action.

I knew immediately the guy was a traveller and was wary, however herself basically says "come on, theyre not all bad". Her good natured, trusting "give them a chance" approach to the situation cost her 50 euro. Ive a feeling Hobbes is heading for a similiar fall if he practices what he preaches. He will no doubt accuse me of hypocracy, labelling me as a criminal because of this. Before you do, know that if you have ever driven at 61 mph in the 60 mph zone, ever been drunk in a pub, nightclub or public place, ever bought/used an illegal substance, ever bought alcohol under the age of 18, ever bought a pint for your 17 year old friend/relative, ever skipped school, YOU HAVE BROKEN THE LAW. And breaking speed limits poses a risk to innocent people around you, what we were doing did not.

With a Garda force like this is it any wonder my cousins mate did what he did? If Padraig Nally shoots dead a traveller who was himself commiting an illegal act, then Padraig Nally gets locked up. If two settled people are conned whilst entering an admittedly illegal but victimless transaction with travellers it is a seemingly different story.

Again, this is showing more about settled people. And that when it comes to travellers, the old 'an eye for an eye' is now an 'eye for a head'.

Tha Gopher wrote:
    And what constitutes a race hate attack against travellers? After being conned out of a sum of money by travellers when he attempted to buy a fishing rod off them, a cousins mate retalliated by showing up at the illegal encampment by the river in the dead of night. Along with his brothers they managed to push two of the travellers vehicles into the river and unsuccessfully attempted to burn two caravans before being chased and fleeing. Is this legal? Of course not.

The Gopher..

I had started off replying to your response but then I realise there is no point.

You have just detailed criminal actions by people you know where others could of died not to mention untold damage.

And you did this on a public forum.

You then go on that it is ok that they do this "because it wasn't me".

I think you can step out of the debate at this point.

BizMaker wrote:
    The way that he ignores or discounts emotional personal experiences from Board members is astounding.

As pointed out no where have I ignored that people haven't had issues with travellers. Where I do have an issue is where people are claiming it is a large majority or that travellers are all criminals or that all travellers don't care about thier children or all travellers are vandels and like living in crap.

And some of the so called stories have been bull****. The "Dublin Housing Authority" worker one for example.

Or major gun battle going on local to me. First I heard of it, would like to know more about that seeing as some people seem to know more.
    Omcgovern wrote:
    Hobbes, you were the one who quoted that report as proof of racist attacks against the travellers. I read it, and there were no reports of any physical assaults on travellers, nor even anyone verbally abusing them to their face.

You even mentioned a portion of it. Or is setting fires under peoples cars not an attack?

Anyway looks like The Gopher gave you a good example.
    Please show me where I said, or thought, the DPP was a liar ?

You ignore the DPP comments as not relevent when they are.
    <sarcasm>
    Yeah, hold on while I pull the full Garda report out of my ass !
    </sarcasm>

I am not looking for a gardai report. I am looking for more news reports on the incidents. I have found 1 news report about the intimidation and all it is one line. If there was so much intimidation do you not think anyone would of documented it? Especially with so many people polorised over this incident. Elizibeths family would of, its one of the first things the County Council will tell you do to.

Again, All I was asking for more information in regards to the intimidation and you appear to take it as a personal attack that I am saying you are lying when that is not the case.

Hobbes wrote:
    The Gopher..

I had started off replying to your response but then I realise there is no point.

You have just detailed criminal actions by people you know where others could of died not to mention untold damage.

And you did this on a public forum.

You then go on that it is ok that they do this "because it wasn't me".

I think you can step out of the debate at this point.

LOL:D Oh God, we have done it. I have finally pushed Hobbes to the "Gopher is highlighting my failings in this thread, will he PLEASE just leave" level:)

Where in my post did I say I endorsed and supported the attack? I did say that if I had been him, and had I carried out this attack, I wouldnt have attempted to torch the caravans. If I was Adolf Hitler I would never have attacked Russia- it doesnt mean I support killing 6 million Jews.

However, I am not the guy who attacked the campsite.. Nowhere in that post did I give an opinion whether I thought he was right in any way. I merely pointed out his primary motive was to get revenge on people who fleeced him, the motive was revenge, not racial. I dont deny he may have used anti traveller language when ranting about his situation pre attack(i didnt hear him myself, i wasnt present and didnt hear of the events until after they happened), that does not mean that it was motivated purely because they were travellers, it was motivated because they were conmen. Is there really a difference in him saying "that pikey bastard conned me out of a hundred", or if the conman was a settled man from Ballymun him saying "that ****ing skanger scumbag from the flats conned me out of a hundred" ? I did say I UNDERSTOOD why he carried out the attack. I UNDERSTAND why Hitler didnt like Jews. It doesnt neccessarily mean I support the Holocaust.

You have assumed I fully support his actions. However, it is settled people assuming from life experience that a majority of travellers are anti social types that has got you so angry. The key word there is ASSUMPTION. I refuse to give an opinin on this forum as to whether he was right or wrong to attack the campsite. Im within my rights to decline to comment. Now, by me saying that, you will ASSUME I fully support the attack. You might be right. However, how can you really know that I am not playing a mind game, that I actually dont support it, but want you to assume I do so as you have been guilty of making an assumption based on no hard evidence.
    Confused?:)

Please read the rest of my post rather than skipping all I wrote after the description of the campsite attack. You say I gave a perfect example? Of what, a racist attack? Actually if you read the whole post it might become apparent I gave an example of a REVENGE attack. If some travellers camped by the river and my cousins friend decided to do what he did despite never having met the travellers, it would be a prejudicial assault (not a racist assault, as they arent another race. However, it would be fuelled by prejudice because he hated the travellers based on pre made judgements. And seeing as they were already illegally camped, one of these pre judgements would therefore been proven true). If a man sees a Nigerian family moving in a few doors down, thinks "damn foreigners" and that night firebombs the house, it is a racist attack. If some guy is beaten up in an unprovoked assault by some Nigerians living down the street and firebombs the house that night, its a revenge attack. Whether or not he refers to them in racist language before the revenge assault does not make it a racist attack. Two friends of mine, a Nigerian and a Dub from the mun, nearly ended up beating each other up after they fell out over something minor. When we were seperating them he used the N word. It doesnt make him a racist, theyre great mates with each other and still are. People who wouldnt let a black person into their house, but will whoop and cheer when Thierry Henry or Louis Saha scores a goal for their respective teams are the worst type of racist you can encounter. I know one guy, rich, VERY racist, who thinks Louis Saha is the dogs bollix. Now, aside from the insanity of thinking Saha is anything special ( :D ), its all the more ironic seeing as Ive seen this guy actually squirming when a black person sits beside him in a class.

The truth is Hobbes wants me to step out of the debate because I have been a constant thorn in his side on the thread since god knows how many posts ago. I pretty much disected half his posts for their nonsense and inaccuracies, to the point even Biz, who repspected his anti popularist stance, was resigned to the fact that he was fighting a losing battle and had sank to some godawful lows to win his arguement . Alas, the heightened tempers of many involved (Hobbes primarily) would indicate that the end is nigh for this thread, it is teetering on locktime . But this nonsense provided me with a bit of entertainment, never mind astonishment, over the last few days.

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Where in my post did I say I endorsed and supported the attack?

You do know the reason that Elizibeths case did not go forward was due to lack of evidence. If there were more witnesses for example.

You on the other hand have just detailed actions of others you personally know where people may of died and you fob it off as revenge, and if I am reading it right for being conned out of 50 euros.

I think anyone who would burn down two homes for being ripped off of 50 euro is clearly better off behind bars.

Do you not see the hypocritsy in all this? The fact you are trying to use this as part of "racial" vs "revenge" is immaterial.

You don't support his actions then? So did you report it to the police then? Because if you didn't then it makes you no better then those that didn't speak up for Elizibeth.

Tha Gopher wrote:
    The key word there is ASSUMPTION.
    assumption
    something that you accept as true without question or proof

© Cambridge University Press 2006.

There is no real point in replying any more if you are openly saying you are basing everything on assumption.

ADDED: What you’re doing one way or another is mainly attacking posters rather then content, and trying to make out you have “won” the argument because of X, Y, or Z – none of which include a sound argument in your favour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

2kinky wrote:
    seen lots of travellers in fancy cars

My only response to that is ... so what?

I am sick and tired with people such as yourself blaming the travelling community for their problems and/or jumping to conclusions about their means of income.

I say, well for them. If they can get away without paying taxes etc.

If you want a flash car, get out and work, earn a flash car, nothing's stopping you. A case of sour grapes IMO.

Hobbes wrote:
    You on the other hand have just detailed actions of others you personally know where people may of died and you fob it off as revenge, and if I am reading it right for being conned out of 50 euros.

Actually, yet again, you didnt read it right. :rolleyes: :D

The girl I was with at the time (we have on/off thing, incase anyone was wondering why i avoided use of the word girlfriend ;) ) was the one who lost the 50. My cousins mate, I dont actually know how much he lost I cant recall, I called it 100 for arguements sake. Did I report the attack to the Gardai? Of course not. Had I done so, there would be alot of people not speaking to me, and I myself would have faced a revenge beating. Without trying to make out I live in a mafia or hood movie, it is not the way Irish people generally handle a situation from my experience, primarily because they know the Gardai will do fcuk all. So you would report a family friend for attacking people who had conned him out of money? An attack he undertook because he knew full well there was no evidence for the Gardai to act on? Im sure your a very popular guy.

If someone conned me out of 100 euros and ended up dying because of it, would I care? Not in the slightest. I am not saying it would be the result of me killing the person. Im not stupid enough to risk 7 years plus in prison for the sake of a few bob. My cousins friend is, but thats him. It could be, just for an example, that the guy bought 100 euro worth of coke/e/heroin, and had some severe allergic reaction and died, then no, you play with fire yil get burned would be my view on it.

Please note, I still have not commented on whether said gentleman was right or wrong to attack the campsite. And I wont. I did say I wouldnt report him, that isnt necessarily an opinion on the rights/wrongs of the attack

If someone conned me out of 100 euros and ended up dying because of it, would I care? Not in the slightest.

Except that person attacked 4 travellers homes over 1 traveller. How is that not a racist attack?

How would you feel if your house just got firebombed because someone in your neighbourhood conned someone else out of 100 euros?

So you wouldn't feel bad that the conman died, how would you feel if others died because of that action? Because that is how it reads to me. They attacked a number of caravans.

You also go on about not reporting it I have seen earlier comments through this thread (especially in regards to Elizibeth) that travellers look after thier own, yet you appear to be doing the exact same thing.

Far as I am concerned the thread is done. When someone can come on and say that attacking 4 seperate homes with who knows how many people are in them over 1 person is justified. well there is no point discussing anything with you.

If it makes you feel better you can even *assume* you "won".

Firstly, let me disassociate myself from "The_Gopher"... his colourful stories aren't really contributing to this debate.
    Hobbes wrote:
    You even mentioned a portion of it. Or is setting fires under peoples cars not an attack? Anyway looks like The Gopher gave you a good example.

I've always been focused on the traveller violence and aggression.
    A handful of people posted stories of physical attacks at the start of this thread.... you come back with "firelighters under a tyre".

Let's ignore Tha_Gophers colourful second hand story
    Hobbes wrote:
    You ignore the DPP comments as not relevent when they are.

You'll have to spell that one out for me then.
    There was never any doubt one of the "warring traveller families" drove the car which ploughed into the kid. The issue was always "proving which one did it". They were still fighting when the mother was at the scene.
    If you're trying to imply that none of the travellers was driving, then you can deduct a lot more points from your credibility.

Hobbes wrote:
    If there was so much intimidation do you not think anyone would of documented it?

How much is "so much intimidation" ? Just the fact that they knew where the family lived is enough. In the heat of my traveller road rage incident he said he was going to follow me home to find out where I lived. He followed me through a junction and 2 roundabouts. Maybe he realised I was going straight to the local Garda station, and he broke away.
    That's enough intimidation for anyone.

Ps. a few times you've mentioned that you think certain replies are personal attacks on you, and we think you're lying...... this is just an intellectual debate, don't take it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

was the same car outside your house before the celtic tiger though. are you denying the assertion that irish people in general are buying better cars now than they were, say, ten years ago?

before the celtic tiger, we had a fiat panda. then a second hand toyota corolla. now a second hand ford fiesta. i'm not denying that irish people in general are driving better cars, i'm saying that a bmw is a top end car, so the fact that some ravellers are driving the best of the best means they haven't got rich along with everyone else, they far surpassed them, usually, but not always, with no visible means of income

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Hobbes wrote:
    You know someone mentioned earlier that they knew a traveller who owned a business. You would assume he would have a good car no?

yes, i would assume that. are you saying that every traveller with a foreign reg 80,000 euro car is the ceo of a legal, registered, tax paying company?

as hobbes says, just because one got it legally doesn't mean you can generalise and say they all did

Tha Gopher wrote:

my point still stands though, doesn't it.

My sirname is the same as that as the former manager of a chain of supermarkets who was arrested in the US on drugs charges. By your logic, thsi would make me a criminal even though I am in no way related to this man Also despite having the same surname, I am not, to the best of my knowledge, related to this guy either, although there is a strong musical tradition in my family. . You will have to do better than pointing at someone's surname to prove that someone's family are scum. There are more than one Jack Barry, i think the saying goes. I also share the same surname as If the wrong person were to look at your statement, it could land the site in trouble for libel.
    And what constitutes a race hate attack against travellers?

You quoted my post, so I am guessing you are directing this at me. I used the term "hate crime" not "race hate crime." The question of whether or not Travellers are a seperate race, or a separate ethnic group has not been decided as yet by the people who decide such things.

After being conned out of a sum of money by travellers when he attempted to buy a fishing rod off them, a cousins mate retalliated by showing up at the illegal encampment by the river in the dead of night. Along with his brothers they managed to push two of the travellers vehicles into the river and unsuccessfully attempted to burn two caravans before being chased and fleeing. Is this legal? Of course not. But Ive a feeling the likes of Hobbes would regard this as racism rather than revenge.[/quote]

Neither racism or revenge not personal traits to be admired. Your friend would have been better to go to the police if he had been ripped off rather than cause serious damage to four homes, all because of oen person.
    When the fact is that if I had conned the guy, he would have shown up at my house and done pretty much the same to my property, it would be classed as general assault/vandalism.. But when its travellers it seems it absoloutely was motivated by nothing more than racism. You are so big on links and evidence, well, until the perps of an attack on travellers are caught, generally the motive is not clear.

But in order for him to do the same thing he would not only have to completely wreck your house, but do the same to three of your neighbours. and much of what you say is an assumption.

So you would have been satisfied causeing thousands of euro worth of damage to a person's car, probably disrupting their livelyhoods, for the sake of a fishing rod. you stated that your friend was conned by one traveller, yet you would be willing to write off an undisclosed number of cars. you did say cars, (plural of car, meaning more than one(which is the number of conman travellers in your story)) Someone elses car who had not conned you would have also been written off to satisfy your revenge.

And by not going to the police to give evidence in a case where people's lives were put at risk makes you complicit in your friend's criminal damage. Notice i did not say racist attack, I said criminal damage.

So there ws a crime syndicate in Dunsink, that does not prove all, or even a majority of travellers are criminals. Also the fact that this story is in the public domain also proves the fact that travellers are not given special treatment over settled people by the Guards or the juditial system.
    I have been, as said previously. We attempted to get the Gardai to take action, they just stopped short of laughing at us (what me and the bird were buying wasnt strictly legal, but it was victimless and not causing any distress to any member of the public or anyones property). We told the cops the truth, that we had reason to believe a group of travellers were in posession of certain items illegally. Fair enough, revenge more than disgust was our main motivation, but thats irrelevant. They took no action.

I don't know exactly what you were trying to buy, so I cannot comment on whether or not its acquisition by yourself and your girlfriend was victimless or not.
    I knew immediately the guy was a traveller and was wary, however herself basically says "come on, theyre not all bad". Her good natured, trusting "give them a chance" approach to the situation cost her 50 euro. Ive a feeling Hobbes is heading for a similiar fall if he practices what he preaches. He will no doubt accuse me of hypocracy, labelling me as a criminal because of this.

Padraig Nally shot a man who was at the time of his death, was no immediate threat to him, he was either fleeing his property or had already left his property when he went back inside to reload his gun after shooting him before he shot him in the back.

before the celtic tiger, we had a fiat panda. then a second hand toyota corolla. now a second hand ford fiesta. i'm not denying that irish people in general are driving better cars, i'm saying that a bmw is a top end car, so the fact that some ravellers are driving the best of the best means they haven't got rich along with everyone else, they far surpassed them, usually, but not always, with no visible means of income

It still does not prove anything though. some professions make more money than others.

A person who was born in the same year as me who went into say for example, the construction industry, would be making more money than me now, even though we have both been working the same length of time. Should I begrudge that person for making more money/buying a better house than me/ buying a flash car before I do? of course not.
    yes, i would assume that. are you saying that every traveller with a foreign reg 80,000 euro car is the ceo of a legal, registered, tax paying company?

as hobbes says, just because one got it legally doesn't mean you can generalise and say they all did

That is assuming the car cost 80,000 in the country it was purchased fo course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

OMcGovern wrote:
    I didn't brand them all as pr*cks....... I said parasites who don't contribute anything to Irish society.

I've been the victim of the 'creamers, twice in my lifetime.
    And I have stories from 2 mates of other incidents of violence.

Maybe there's a minority of them who learnt to behave themselves or else lose their rental accomodation, but I view the families who live in littered campsites as lawless criminal gangs.

Trust me... no amount of responses will change my view.

Then I suggest you don't post to Humanities anymore, unless of course, you can provide evidence to back up your claims.

And so... the latest exciting installment of Travellers are scum is closed in Humanities. I think I'll close all traveller related threads appearing here for oooooo a couple of weeks anyway. Many should have been banned. Possibly I will. Who knows? In any case I suggest those who are new to Humanities read the charter. Cheers! :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement