Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travellers in flash cars??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    That's not to say there are no bad travellers - of course there are. But to brand them as all pr*cks is not right.

I don't like their accents though.

I didn't brand them all as pr*cks....... I said parasites who don't contribute anything to Irish society.

I've been the victim of the 'creamers, twice in my lifetime.
    And I have stories from 2 mates of other incidents of violence.

Maybe there's a minority of them who learnt to behave themselves or else lose their rental accomodation, but I view the families who live in littered campsites as lawless criminal gangs.

Trust me... no amount of responses will change my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

The vast majority of hassle/grief I have gotten in my life has not come from travellers or foreigners.

but from
    white
    working class
    males

Scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭the_menace

OMcGovern wrote:
    Trust me... no amount of responses will change my view.

No, me neither. Which is kind of why I stopped posting on this thread. I've experienced it first hand dozens of times and although I accept that not all travellers are vicious pieces of work, my life experience has shown me what the travelling community at large is like. Knowing you're right and arguing with people with 'opinions' is like banging your head off a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

BizMaker wrote:
    I believe that travellers have a right to co-exist with the settled community and I would hate to see the extinction of their traditional way of life. But, and there is always a ‘but’, they must live within the confines of the law.

i believe that preserving their way of life and living within the confines of the law are mutually exclusive goals

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

you owe me a euro.

aw crap, how many members does boards have exaclty?

/checks pocket for change

/points and says "look over there
    >"

/runs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

This is our life sir

dats rite pa

we drives up and down the contry all the time sir...we looks out the front winda the side winda and the back winda.
    thats our country out there sir.
    we love it.....all the stelled people with theyr big sad faces...they all say that the travelers is the same.
    all blacks are the same . . . the chinese.....SAME TUNE ME HOLE!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

being uneducated should be made a crime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Beer is Life

This is our life sir

dats rite pa

we drives up and down the contry all the time sir...we looks out the front winda the side winda and the back winda.
    thats our country out there sir.
    we love it.....all the stelled people with theyr big sad faces...they all say that the travelers is the same.
    all blacks are the same . . . the chinese.....SAME TUNE ME HOLE!!!!

:D

I too am finished with this, its only going to go in circles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I live in County Limerick - every year hundreds of travellers come back to Rathkeale which appears to be their homeland. They always come back with flash cars. In years gone by it would be top of the range Mercs and Beemers. However recently they have downscaled a bit - this year it was top of the range VW passats and Kia jeeps. Most of their money appears to be made from dodgy businesses like putting down tarmacadam in Germany and Spain, although realistically something else has to be going on - illegal. However given the downscaling in cars in recent years, the money from their illegal activities must be drying up

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

:D

I too am finished with this, its only going to go in circles

Or rather you can't answer anything that has been addressed to you. For example.

You: consider majority are criminals
    - Yet you don't how much of the majority is nor do you say how you came to that conclusion.

You: Mention you worked with traveller kids who are disadvantaged by thier lifestyle.
    - Yet you don't list in what way (professional opinion?) to help in combatting this, I assume just a dismissal of "ah sure they will probably be criminals anyway".

Tusky wrote:
    Why is this ? Whos fault is this ?

There are a large number of factors that are the cause of this. Not caring about thier children? Where do you get this from? Traveller culture actually treats children as adults at an early age and are trained in the familys traveller econmy at a earlier age.
    If I bought a caravan and parked on the side of the road, leaving rubbish around the place I would EXPECT to be moved on.

Except that a lot of the moving on refers to actual legitimate halting sites as well.
    this is purely a TAX issue.

How do you come to that conclusion?
    IF YOU LIVE AT THE SIDE OF THE ROAD AND DONT GET RID OF YOUR RUBBISH YOU ARE GOING TO GET RATS.

Again refers to legal halting sites.

• Advertisement

TheBazman wrote:
    However given the downscaling in cars in recent years, the money from their illegal activities must be drying up

Again how do you come to the conclusion it is illegal dealings? Pointed out earlier some travellers make good money from Traveller based work and in the recent years a lot of that has gone away. For example horse trading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭the_menace

Hobbes wrote:
    Again how do you come to the conclusion it is illegal dealings? Pointed out earlier some travellers make good money from Traveller based work and in the recent years a lot of that has gone away. For example horse trading.

How many travellers do you know/have you met? Do you have any life experience or are you just sounding off?

the_menace wrote:
    How many travellers do you know/have you met? Do you have any life experience or are you just sounding off?

You already asked me that question and I already answered it. Not my fault you can't read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭derek27

i have had many experiences with knackers over the years, especially in ballinasloe and athlone, and, i've taken quite some time to think about it, not one of them was good. but the thing i will point out in relation to that fact is that i haven't met any decent travellers; as these people generally keep to themselves and dont bother anyone, that's why i haven't met any of them. i make a distinction between the terms knacker and traveller:

i call a person that is known to me to be troublesome and wreckless in all the ways people have pointed out in this thread, ie: scamming social welfare, not paying taxes, deliberately both physically and emotionally harming other people, stealing, vandalising, etc. as being knackers - and indeed knackers, as i refer to them, come from both the settled and travelling communities; but, in my opinion and in my experience, there seems to be a much greater porportion of them arising from travelling communities.

traveller refers simply to a way of life, and while i wouldn't live that way, they are happy to do so. this is based on statements they made themselves, and i know of many of them that had been offered accommodation with local authorities and refused it without a thought. people are afraid of change, and they have had this way of life for generations, and are reluctant to move away from it. point to note here... after the famine in ireland, a great deal of the people left in ireland after the mass emmigration were travellers, so a valid point has to be made that a sizable proportion of the people in ireland today may not have to go too deep into their family tree to find that they themselves, although settled now, descended from travellers.

my first experience with knackers goes back to when i was only ten... two knackers come along and kidnapped myself and my sister (not even 9 at the time) from the street at the front of our house and took us to a nearby football pitch, tied both of us to a goalpost, and proceeded to cut all my sisters hair with a broken glass bottle, beat us, and steal everything we had, while they laughed their silly heads off. nice way to be introduced to their kind. and before Hoobes asks how i know they are knackers in any of these things i mention, refer back to my definition of a knacker, and the statement i made about most of them coming from travelling communities (even if i didn't know they were from traveller communities at the time of their attacks or ill-treatment of me or others that i know suffered at their hands, this becomes clear to me at some stage afterwards). not to go into too much detail, here are some other personal experiences... car stolen and written off... friends and i attacked for money and phones in which i suffered 3 hairline fractures in my skull and one of my friends got stabbed in the arm (when this went to court, i was relentlessly menaced by them to drop the charges; i didn't, only to discover that on the court day, i myself was facing an assault charge because they said i hit them first, (they concocted that idea with their free-legal-aid solicitor) i then dropped all charges against them to avoid getting a criminal charge myself - i've a spotless record - and told the judge that the next person they attack might get killed) - legal system seems to protecct the knackers more than their victims... been robbed a few times at knifepoint... this list could go on a bit, so i'll move onto some other points.

i know of a few traveller halting sites and residential areas where things have gone awry... know of plenty of riots and fueds that have ended up with the army being called out to try to contain the situation, and some people suffering horrific injuries as a result... i know of a number of murders that have been committed by them... in one halting site that was being developed, the residents pulled down all the wiring that was installed so that they would have electricity, burnt the insulation off it and sold the copper wire, along with some copper piping that was left by for provisions of water supply for the same site (sabotaging their own homes!)... a residential area in which the council tried to give it a lift by planting trees and shrubs all over it, only to find the next day all the shrubs and saplings had been destroyed by the residents - they replanted on two occaisions only for the same thing to happen... this elaboration could go on a bit aswell.

i know some travellers at college. they are decent. they have survived through the education system and made it to 3rd level, and are doing quite well in their lives BUT in order to do this, they had to completely turn their back on other travellers, even their own families, to achieve this and integrate properly with general people. this i know, because after getting to know and befriending 2 of them, after a while they told me themselves. they say they regret meeting anyone from their previous community whilst with any of their newfound friends at college etc. for fear of embarrassment.

so the issue rages on... give them a break or beware of them... my personal input based on my personal experiences is that if they interact with you, they are not nice people... the nice ones wouldn't talk to you to begin with, as they are content to stay among themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I haven't read all of the posts but just wanted to add a little experience of mine.

I used to walk home from secondary school every day and every thursday I would pass the Livestock mart and there would be a lady member of the travelling community going into the Mart Canteen to get the scraps, now that is not that odd. You would think they were just people who were short on cash and wanted some food.

However the lady would always exit a newly registered Jeep worth over £25,000. I always thought how odd that was, they had to get scraps from the mart to eat but could drive a new jeep and going what I know most members of the travelling community purchase their vechicles using cash!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

A lot of the anti-traveller posters appear to be under the impression that they can instantly identify travellers. They could have dealings with travellers daily and be unaware of it. Not all travellers have a 'Traveller accent' especially in Dublin. A very busy Statoil filling station in the greater Dublin area employs two Travellers and a large supermarket, also in the greater Dublin area also employs at least two travellers. A former employer of mine was married to a traveller who also used to work occasionally for the company. I was there for months before I knew she came from the travelling community. People may have normal dealings with travellers on a daily basis and be unaware of it. Next time you pay the girl at the checkout in you local supermarket or pay for your fuel, think about this.

A previous poster said that travellers only work 'cash in hand'. I'm sure many do, just like many settled people, but not all. Do filling stations and supermarkets pay like this? Some travellers were employer as actors in 'Glenroe'. Do people seriously believe that RTE or the production company are paying 'cash in hand'?

You can't sell any product without a market. Furniture, fireplaces, tarmacadam, car parts etc. are probably bought mainly by the settled community. If no one purchased these, travellers would not be selling them. It's a bit hypocritical to purchase these items and then vilify Travellers for selling them.

Just because one gives the other side in a forum, does'nt necessarily mean one is 'pro' Traveller. I like to think that the underdog in a debate deserves a chance. It's very easy to be anti-Traveller among settled people. Would anti-traveller posters express their views in a similiar manner in a public venue? Somehow I doubt it. It's very easy to be abusive while being anonymous and in the knowledge that most Travellers probably do not have easy access to the Internet to give a decent response.

Well done Hobbes for going down the difficult avenue.

irish1 wrote:
    However the lady would always exit a newly registered Jeep worth over £25,000. I always thought how odd that was, they had to get scraps from the mart to eat but could drive a new jeep and going what I know most members of the travelling community purchase their vechicles using cash!!!
    scraps could have been for a dog or other pet. many decent travellers are well equipped with vast knowledge on how to save money, which probably helps them afford flash cars. knackers dont bother to try and save money; if they are short of it, they go and rob it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The scraps were for them not their pets, I know people who worked in the mart, they were particular about would and wouldn't take too.

I have no problem with the travelling community in my area, majority of them are sound, nicer than some of the settled people, I just awlays found this a bit odd.

human judgement is plagued with inconsistency, that is why people differ in opinion. opinions are generally made by individuals drawing from their own experiences with regard to the issue under scrutiny, if they have no such experiences, then their opinion is almost always one of a neutral standing. therefore, i propose that anybody that has remained neutral within this thread, have had no experience with travellers or knackers, those who are anti-knacker have had unfavourable experiences with them, and those who are pro-knacker have had good experiences with them or have some connection with them. so this thread will go on forever with opinions based on personal experiences. having read all the posts, i estimate about 70% of the opinions have been 'anti'. so what, if any, conclusions can be drawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Hobbes wrote:
    There are a large number of factors that are the cause of this. Not caring about thier children? Where do you get this from? Traveller culture actually treats children as adults at an early age and are trained in the familys traveller econmy at a earlier age.

It was in reference to the fact that only 10% go to secondary school. That leads me to believe that the parents dont care about their childrens furture. A fair assumtion, no ?
    Except that a lot of the moving on refers to actual legitimate halting sites as well.

halting sites are not supposed to be preminant palces of residence...they are travellers after all.

How do you come to that conclusion?

because its a fact... medical card funds are paid by tax payers money. If you dont pay tax, you shouldnt be entitled to one. do you think this is unfair ?
    Again refers to legal halting sites.

I consider living at the side of the road to including halting sites. If you leave your rubbish around ( as many travellers do ) you are going to get rats...simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Some hard facts as a traveller.
    - You are more likely to die younger then normal Irish population (avg 12 years)
    This is because of the hard life they CHOOSE to live!!!

- child mortality rate (births) is over double the norm for Ireland.
    They have so many and they don't look after them properly!

- You are more likely not be able to read or write.
    Their parents put no importance on education and they move around throughout their young lives making it hard to get a proper education.

- You are less likely to get a job in Ireland as a traveller.
    People are sick of giving them chances only to have their trust thrown in their faces. I have seen plenty of them get jobs and only ever seen one in my town who wasn't fired for robbing or causing trouble. They don't want jobs anyways!

- You are liable to be moved on (eviction) with no warning. This is in areas where they are legally allowed to park thier caravans.
    That's absolute bull!! They can't be evicted from legal halting sites. Where did ya get that crap?

- You are more likely not to have basic amenities others have like running water/toilets.
    They are given all those in halting sites but they turn around and destroy them! I have seen the halting site locally get destroyed so many times. My father works in the council and he worked on a halting site, they put in so much stuff and the place looked great, they were in there A WEEK!!! and they made bits of every toilet, pulled the roofs off the wash rooms all the tiles etc! they sprayed grafitti all over all the buldings and started fires all over the place and burnt everything they pulled out of the buldings. Also if i chose to head off in my caravan in the morning i can't complain if i no longer have running water and electricity, i chose to go living in areas where there is none so it's tough luck, what are the government supposed to do, put running water and free electricity in every lay by and area someone might illegally pull up a caravan.

- You are more likely to be faced with hostility from others on a day to day basis.
    And you are more likely to be faced with hostility when trying to deal with travellers. I had to deal with them on a daily basis and was constantly being threatened and harrassed!

- You are less likely to get a medical card.
    Why????

- Despite what people are claiming they do not get free houses and are more likely to be denied housing vs non-travellers.
    Rubbish!! Most of them don't want houses and i have seen a few who did get them and destroyed them and moved on. Same as they do with the halting sites they are given.

- Your area is most likely to be infested with rats.
    What area? The outside of your caravan where you throw all your rubbish and excrement? Damn right it will be if you can't keep your area clean. I don't throw all my ****e out my window and as a result i don't have a rat problem. Simple.

- You are liable to be banned for no reason from various establishments. (despite this being illegal)
    NO REASON?? You obviously haven't seen what they get up to when they go into pubs and night clubs. Obviously there are always going to be fights etc. in pubs but i have seen them cause so much bloody trouble in the past that if i had a pub i wouldn't be serving them drink, i'd do anything i could to keep them out. And why is it that when there are knacker weddings in a town the pubs lock their doors?? Is it cause they are just racist and don't like travellers, NO It's cause they don't like having their bars smashed to bits and their customers abused, it's that simple, f-all to do with racism. Travellers now go around trying to do their best to not get served and catch it on a camera so they can sue whoever refused them, it's a disgrace.

- You are liable to have your stuff taken by the Garda even when you can legally prove it is yours.
    More absoulte rubbish! The gardai will take it off them if they can't prove where they got it same as any other vendor or seller has to be able to prove where they got their merchandise or anyone suspected of theft will have to prove where they bought something. They don't take half enough off them as it is!

- They do have to pay taxes (halting sites are fixed abodes), Some may not but does not mean that what they are doing is legal.
    They are parasites end of story. They don't pay their way and they take whatever they can even if it is illegal, they have NO regard for the law!

I'm so sick of the sympathy travellers get. They chose their lives, they bring any hardships they have on themselves and unlike other races the MAJORITY give the MINORITY a bad name!! I have had dealings with many travellers and have only ever come across one of them who i could get on with and is a respected member of the community.Why is he a respected member of the community? Because besides being part of a family known for trouble and criminality he got himself a job. He doesn't go around getting in fights and causing grief for people and he's generally a very nice person to deal with unlike the majority of travellers. Yes there's criminals and trouble makers in every community and evry group of people you might come across but there are far more on average in travellers, very very few have even a decent cell in their body!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

TheBazman wrote:
    I live in County Limerick - every year hundreds of travellers come back to Rathkeale which appears to be their homeland. They always come back with flash cars. In years gone by it would be top of the range Mercs and Beemers. However recently they have downscaled a bit - this year it was top of the range VW passats and Kia jeeps. Most of their money appears to be made from dodgy businesses like putting down tarmacadam in Germany and Spain, although realistically something else has to be going on - illegal. However given the downscaling in cars in recent years, the money from their illegal activities must be drying up
    Based on the profuse numbers of flash cars in Dublin 4 & 6 then, we had better convert those areas into prisons and cut off the Heiniken supply.

Tusky wrote:
    It was in reference to the fact that only 10% go to secondary school. That leads me to believe that the parents dont care about their childrens furture. A fair assumtion, no ?

You know what they say about assumptions. You are telling me every single traveller child that didn't make it to secondary school is only because of thier parents?

Nothing to do with not being able to get placement in secondary schools? Any other reasons?

halting sites are not supposed to be preminant palces of residence...they are travellers after all.

Wrong. According to Irish law there are only 3 halting sites in Ireland where they allow travellers to move around in. The rest if you move there you get evicted (without warning).
    because its a fact... medical card funds are paid by tax payers money. If you dont pay tax, you shouldnt be entitled to one. do you think this is unfair ?

Which brings me back to the same question. Can you tell me where you came to the conclusion that travellers who applied for medical cards were refused on grounds they did not pay tax? You appear to know this. Or is just personal opinion?
    deisedevil wrote:

Welcome to the thread. I recommend you read it all before commenting you are already incorrect on a few things.

So you are saying deny them basic running water, etc because they choose to live this way? What about those who want housing but are unable to get it despite government plan put in place which was supposed to accomodate this?
    Their parents put no importance on education and they move around throughout their young lives making it hard to get a proper education.

Again cite your sources on the first part and as for the second part mentioned earlier of the 27,000 travellers in Ireland only 1,200 (2,000 holiday season) move around. That is less then 1% of the traveller population.
    That's absolute bull!! They can't be evicted from legal halting sites. Where did ya get that crap?

Again read through the thread. I have already posted sources regarding this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

deisedevil wrote:
    I'm so sick of the sympathy travellers get. They chose their lives, they bring any hardships they have on themselves and unlike other races the MAJORITY give the MINORITY a bad name!! I have had dealings with many travellers and have only ever come across one of them who i could get on with and is a respected member of the community.Why is he a respected member of the community? Because besides being part of a family known for trouble and criminality he got himself a job. He doesn't go around getting in fights and causing grief for people and he's generally a very nice person to deal with unlike the majority of travellers. Yes there's criminals and trouble makers in every community and evry group of people you might come across but there are far more on average in travellers, very very few have even a decent cell in their body!

Excellent post deisedevil, it explains alot of what happens in real life.
    I posted on a previous thread on this subject in Politics, those that defend travellers are also likely to oppose a traveller accomodation in their back yard imho.*

The traveller community has a huge criminal problem within their own community and they need to address that issue internally before they moan about racism. That decent minority needs to find its voice and speak out about the huge problem of bad travellers.

*and yes i do live near a huge halting site and settled traveller estate and know what its like to encounter them daily.(Dunsink, Finglas)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

deisedevil wrote:
    Some hard facts as a traveller.
    - You are more likely to die younger then normal Irish population (avg 12 years)

- child mortality rate (births) is over double the norm for Ireland.
    They have so many and they don't look after them properly!

- You are more likely not be able to read or write.

- You are less likely to get a job in Ireland as a traveller.
    People are sick of giving them chances only to have their trust thrown in their faces. I have seen plenty of them get jobs and only ever seen one in my town who wasn't fired for robbing or causing trouble. They don't want jobs anyways!

- You are liable to be moved on (eviction) with no warning. This is in areas where they are legally allowed to park thier caravans.

- You are more likely not to have basic amenities others have like running water/toilets.
    They are given all those in halting sites but they turn around and destroy them! I have seen the halting site locally get destroyed so many times. My father works in the council and he worked on a halting site, they put in so much stuff and the place looked great, they were in there A WEEK!!! and they made bits of every toilet, pulled the roofs off the wash rooms all the tiles etc! they sprayed grafitti all over all the buldings and started fires all over the place and burnt everything they pulled out of the buldings. Also if i chose to head off in my caravan in the morning i can't complain if i no longer have running water and electricity, i chose to go living in areas where there is none so it's tough luck, what are the government supposed to do, put running water and free electricity in every lay by and area someone might illegally pull up a caravan.

- You are more likely to be faced with hostility from others on a day to day basis.
    And you are more likely to be faced with hostility when trying to deal with travellers. I had to deal with them on a daily basis and was constantly being threatened and harrassed!

- You are less likely to get a medical card.
    Why????

- Despite what people are claiming they do not get free houses and are more likely to be denied housing vs non-travellers.
    Rubbish!! Most of them don't want houses and i have seen a few who did get them and destroyed them and moved on. Same as they do with the halting sites they are given.

- Your area is most likely to be infested with rats.
    What area? The outside of your caravan where you throw all your rubbish and excrement? Damn right it will be if you can't keep your area clean. I don't throw all my ****e out my window and as a result i don't have a rat problem. Simple.

- You are liable to be banned for no reason from various establishments. (despite this being illegal)
    NO REASON?? You obviously haven't seen what they get up to when they go into pubs and night clubs. Obviously there are always going to be fights etc. in pubs but i have seen them cause so much bloody trouble in the past that if i had a pub i wouldn't be serving them drink, i'd do anything i could to keep them out. And why is it that when there are knacker weddings in a town the pubs lock their doors?? Is it cause they are just racist and don't like travellers, NO It's cause they don't like having their bars smashed to bits and their customers abused, it's that simple, f-all to do with racism. Travellers now go around trying to do their best to not get served and catch it on a camera so they can sue whoever refused them, it's a disgrace.

- You are liable to have your stuff taken by the Garda even when you can legally prove it is yours.
    More absoulte rubbish! The gardai will take it off them if they can't prove where they got it same as any other vendor or seller has to be able to prove where they got their merchandise or anyone suspected of theft will have to prove where they bought something. They don't take half enough off them as it is!

- They do have to pay taxes (halting sites are fixed abodes), Some may not but does not mean that what they are doing is legal.
    They are parasites end of story. They don't pay their way and they take whatever they can even if it is illegal, they have NO regard for the law!

In reply to this novel,
    Why do you care so much as to write all that? Who cares!!!!:confused:

gurramok wrote:
    Excellent post deisedevil, it explains alot of what happens in real life.
    I posted on a previous thread on this subject in Politics, those that defend travellers are also likely to oppose a traveller accomodation in their back yard imho.*

The traveller community has a huge criminal problem within their own community and they need to address that issue internally before they moan about racism. That decent minority needs to find its voice and speak out about the huge problem of bad travellers.

*and yes i do live near a huge halting site and settled traveller estate and know what its like to encounter them daily.(Dunsink, Finglas)

Thanks Gurramok. I feel very sorry for the minority of travellers who find it difficult to go through life because of the problems of the majority. I treat people how i find them, if i met a traveller who i could get on with and abided by the law and had respect for others etc. then i would have no problem with that one individual and i do know a traveller like this who i speak to on a regular basis but the majority (almost all) of travellers i come across(and there's a lot) have no respect for anything or anyone around them. I could write a post that would fill 10 pages on the disgusting incidents i personally have come across in relation to travellers, all the thieving, mugging, beatings, destruction of property, theft of cars and general abuse they throw around. Of course the settled community has plenty of people that commit the same offences but it's the small minority that do it where as with travelling community it's the large majority that do it. Also it's so annoying to hear people who don't have to deal with them on a daily basis defending them, when they hear people giving out about travellers they jump to their defence, very easy to defend them and throw around a few statistics and sentences when your living amongst them and being on the receiving end of travellers and their 'ways' and so called 'culture'.

lazylad wrote:
    In reply to this novel,
    Why do you care so much as to write all that? Who cares!!!!:confused:

In reply to this stupid comment, i didn't write all that i responded to some of the comments made by another. Why did you bother reading it, why did you come onto this thread if you don't care, some people do care. Go to a thread that your interested in and post something worthwhile. If you don't care about anything then get lost!

gurramok wrote:
    The traveller community has a huge criminal problem within their own community

Again, where do you get this statistic from? Or are you working this out based on the halting site near you or Ireland overall?
    deisedevil wrote:
    travelling community it's the large majority that do it.

I asked this same question of another poster earlier. Where do you get large majority from? Of the 27,000 how many are you claiming are criminals?

Hobbes wrote:
    Again, where do you get this statistic from? Or are you working this out based on the halting site near you or Ireland overall?

I asked this same question of another poster earlier. Where do you get large majority from? Of the 27,000 how many are you claiming are criminals?

I'm speaking about my personal experiences with travellers and from what friends and others have told me. I have seen that much trouble and criminal acts committed by travellers and in my small town where there is a large traveller community of which i'd know a lot of them there are hardly any that i haven't seen or heard of who haven't been involved in trouble or criminality. Anywhere else i travel or almost all of who i speak to have the same opinion and have had the same experiences with the traveling community. It's not a coincidence. That's where i get the large majority from, it's impossible to put no's on how many aren't criminals, can you put a no. on how many settled people are criminals? No you can't and it's not a question that anyone can answer but you could still say that the minority of the settled community are involved in crime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭*Oul_Doll_Cork*

There is no point of being PC about this whole situation! Travellers are a completely different breed of people! They have no morals and have no social skills whatsoever! IMO they should section off one whole county in Ireland and dedicate it for the travellers! We can call it County Knacker!! Leave them do what they want!
    Personally I don't care if they don't pay taxes and sell crappy furniture! ?It's when they set up home on your front garden and leave their horses run riot all over the place thats what really pisses me off!!
    There was once a halting site built near my home! Brand new place with state of the art stuff there... they even had those gas and electric cable things for caravans to come in and hook up to! They had shower cubicals and toilet facilities! When the halting site opened a huge group of travellers moved in....
    .... a week later the travellers moved on! There was nothing left of this halting site, they took everything that could be ripped out of the ground and they melted down everything that was made from steel... I think they made horse shoes or something from it!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement