Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loyalist groups to march in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

this march is a cultural event now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I say let them march, they're Irish, they're part of the history and culture of this island. I wouldn't mind the Chinese community celebrating their new year or other cultural events.

They won't be coming down for a "cultural" event or a "celebration"!!! Get real!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭*WKD*

Sleepy wrote:
    Best result I can see from this is a whole load of Dublin's scumbags getting arrested and jailed for assault. I couldn't give a rats ass who wins the scrap tbh. But presumably with all the cameras that'll be out, there shouldn't be much trouble getting a few convictions for assault out of it. :)

Well its the scumbags from the north who would be the ones marching so there would be a united scumbag riot!! All Dublin needs :rolleyes: Thats about as united as its gonna get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I didn't the march per se was cultural, I pointed out that they are part of the culture of this island, and should be allowed express themselves in a peaceful manner.
    We can't demand a united Ireland solely on our terms, if allowing guys wearing orange walk up and down O'Connell street a few helps them feel better about themselves I don't see the problem. Sure what harm will it do them to see us in the south as reasonable people, they'll even see the Irish flag high on the GPO to remind them where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

this really wont end well at all can u imagine if they are let march down the likes of o connell street etc and up to govt buildings, im all for cultural diversity but a march with them all flying the union jack in OUR capital city, that is not on

• Advertisement

Why not, I don't feel the need to punch french fans who parade le Tricoleur down Grafton Street during the 6 nations.
    In a world where hundreds of thousands are freezing to death in Pakistan, where a whole continent is ravaged by AIDS, where terrorism kills Iraqs every day, the outrage shown over a march seems sadly misplaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

tintinr35 wrote:
    this really wont end well at all can u imagine if they are let march down the likes of o connell street etc and up to govt buildings, im all for cultural diversity but a march with them all flying the union jack in OUR capital city, that is not on

The flags aren't a problem it's the people flying them. Can they be trusted? I hope so but I've a bad feeling.

I think people are overlooking the influence Sinn Féin will have on this march. If the march is ignored by the people then there's no problem. It actually suits Sinn Féin for there to be violence.

It wouldn't surprise me if Sinn Féin do their best to stir up trouble by organising some sort of counter demonstration.

Pictures on TV of lots of angry unionists waving union jacks engaging in verbal or physical abuse will act as a good recruiting drive for Sinn Féin.

I didn't the march per se was cultural, I pointed out that they are part of the culture of this island, and should be allowed express themselves in a peaceful manner.
    We can't demand a united Ireland solely on our terms, if allowing guys wearing orange walk up and down O'Connell street a few helps them feel better about themselves I don't see the problem. Sure what harm will it do them to see us in the south as reasonable people, they'll even see the Irish flag high on the GPO to remind them where they are.

You said " I wouldn't mind the Chinese community celebrating their new year or other cultural events."
    So were you comparing an event like that to an orange march in Dublin? They do not consider themselves part of this country so why would they go to a country that is not theirs and celebrate their culture? They may aswell have an orange march in Paris or Sydney. It's a protest march, culture or celebration will have nothing to do with it but i do agree with you that we are better off to be hospitable towards them rather than hostile as i have said earlier in the thread.

It wouldn't surprise me if Sinn Féin do their best to stir up trouble by organising some sort of counter demonstration.

Pictures on TV of lots of angry unionists waving union jacks engaging in verbal or physical abuse will act as a good recruiting drive for Sinn Féin.

And if Sinn Fein go out instigating trouble will it not look worse for them. It would be worse for Sinn Fein to be involved in starting a riot, the unionists would be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

deisedevil wrote:
    And if Sinn Fein go out instigating trouble will it not look worse for them.

You're kidding right? The party are well used to instigating trouble. All they need to do is get a few teenagers in Celtic shirts out on the streets. It works in the North.
    deisedevil wrote:
    It would be worse for Sinn Fein to be involved in starting a riot, the unionists would be delighted.

Not at all. Sinn Féin will lie through their teeth if they are suspected of anything. They feed off this kind of instability.

• Advertisement

No, I was saying all the cultures living on the island should be respected and allowed to engage in peaceful activities, what problem do you have with this?

if you want a united Ireland you'll have to respect the Unionist's right to express their heritage.
    For what it's worth, I'd arrest any of them that incite hatred, but I have no problem with a peaceful march.

You're kidding right? The party are well used to instigating trouble. All they need to do is get a few teenagers in Celtic shirts out on the streets. It works in the North.

Not at all. Sinn Féin will lie through their teeth if they are suspected of anything. They feed off this kind of instability.

Sinn Fein are not squeaky clean but they do not send parades down protestant areas in the North and they are not heading for London in their thousands with hundreds of Irish flags and drums and bands and singing rebel songs. The orange order are rotten to the core with violence, they love it and are built on violence and that is what most of them are marching for at all. Just look at how organised they were during the riots in the north recently, they had pipe bombs, petrol bombs all ready to go and even fired shots at the psni. Have a read of this: http://www.unison.ie/search/frame_search.php3?span=web&words=sinn%20fein%20protest%20in%20london
    Pretty good description of what they are about.
    I would be surprised and disgusted if Sinn Fein deliberatly try to start a riot in the streets of Dublin. It would be a huge mistake on their part.

No, I was saying all the cultures living on the island should be respected and allowed to engage in peaceful activities, what problem do you have with this?

if you want a united Ireland you'll have to respect the Unionist's right to express their heritage.
    For what it's worth, I'd arrest any of them that incite hatred, but I have no problem with a peaceful march.

Lol, like i said if you read through the thread i have said i hope it will be a peaceful march. but you are still confused:"if you want a united Ireland you'll have to respect the Unionist's right to express their heritage." They are not coming to Dublin to express their heritage!! They are coming down for a protest march!! As for wanting a united Ireland, it's not realistic, i'd just like to see a peaceful Ireland, that'd be good enough.
    If they were looking to have a march in Dublin to express their heritage think of this, would the Irish government leave thousands of people come over from Japan to have a march through Dublin to express their heritage? What sense would that make and why would people from another country go to another to express their heritage? I don't see other countries looking to come here and send thousands down our streets expressing their heritage and why would they? The Orange order in Northern Ireland do not consider themselves as living in Ireland and they are not, different story if a community living in Ireland would like to express their heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭bladetrinity

ok ,years ago it meant marching down a road with a flag meant you owned that road ,but we accept tourists daily, surely they will give us some income where will they sleep? what will they eat? if we fail this test ,a simple test of tolerence then what are we?animals we are not animals we are supposed to be at peace not at war.:cool:

Lump wrote:
    WTF! They can't march in the republic... I think the Republicans should go march in London, I'm sure that'd go down well.

John
    lump are we at peace or not?:confused:

deisedevil wrote:
    Lol, like i said if you read through the thread i have said i hope it will be a peaceful march. but you are still confused:"if you want a united Ireland you'll have to respect the Unionist's right to express their heritage." They are not coming to Dublin to express their heritage!! They are coming down for a protest march!! As for wanting a united Ireland, it's not realistic, i'd just like to see a peaceful Ireland, that'd be good enough.
    If they were looking to have a march in Dublin to express their heritage think of this, would the Irish government leave thousands of people come over from Japan to have a march through Dublin to express their heritage? What sense would that make and why would people from another country go to another to express their heritage? I don't see other countries looking to come here and send thousands down our streets expressing their heritage and why would they? The Orange order in Northern Ireland do not consider themselves as living in Ireland and they are not, different story if a community living in Ireland would like to express their heritage.
    The chineese celebrate their new year hear each year and charge handsomely yes all are welcome in peaceful ireland .....arent they!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

We can't demand a united Ireland solely on our terms, if allowing guys wearing orange walk up and down O'Connell street a few helps them feel better about themselves I don't see the problem.

Its pretty much what the Orange order represents. That being sectarianism.

Orange Order is a culture that does not respect all others. So why should we allow that sort of hate to be allowed march on our streets?

You may as well let the KKK march through Harlem.

banned i wonder why?

i welcome any march ,any parade any small thing it takes to bring big men to a place where small boys stop ............:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

banned i wonder why?

Yea I wonder why too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭the_menace

Personally, I can't see this march going ahead. The authorities would be idiotic to allow it considering the potential trouble that it could cause.

Also, nobody seems to have mentioned that it's completely unacceptable that the Republic of Ireland tax payer should foot the policing bill for a protest staged by people that are not only British citizens but who are protesting against Irish citizenship.

It's really quite obvious what the motivation for these protests is. Since the IRA disbanded and relations between Dublin and London go from strength to strength, loyalists have found themselves increasingly isolated from any historical ties they've ever had with either government. Now these people have decided to take their agitation and, let's face it, violence across the border in hope of re-igniting the flames of sectarian hatred which they seem to think is the only way they can thrive as a community. What sickens me is that they're using innocent victims of terrorist atrocities as their excuse. But what more should we expect from a bunch of psychotic bigots that hurl stones and abuse at Catholic children on their way to school. :rolleyes:

Let them come down here and march. Inevitably they'll meet with violence resistance from Dublin's underclass and good enough for them. It's not going to give them a damn bit of propaganda to take back to Norn Iron. All that'll happen afterward is that they'll return to the North just as isolated as they were before and the whole world will forget about them within a week or two. They'll get what they deserve as they are, whether anyone accepts it or not, trying to antagonise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

*WKD* wrote:
    Well its the scumbags from the north who would be the ones marching so there would be a united scumbag riot!! All Dublin needs :rolleyes: Thats about as united as its gonna get.

Yet more boards.ie paranoid rubbish about Dublin's terrible "scumbag" population which is always spoiling for a "riot" it seems. What about the good people who posted on here saying the loveulster people should be showered by urine filled water bombs? Anyway, I bet the "scumbags" will ignore this little stunt if it goes ahead - just like everyone else.
    *WKD* wrote:
    You may as well let the KKK march through Harlem.

Maybe they don't march through Harlem but the KKK have been allowed to hold many rallies in the centre of cities in the US despite being a bunch of hate-filled bigots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

I cant wait to see all the young lads who think/wish/like to claim they were/are in the IRA (including my cousin, his ra-ness is fcuking hilarious) converge on O`Connell Street for a bloodbath.

Sorry fly, but in fairness North Dublin is full of ra heads, who for some reason usually cant see any clash between their republican sympathies and their own drug use or selling despite the IRAs murderous opposition to the trade in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Mr.Nice Guy, you obviously live in the North and have been to a riot for you to say this with such authority.

Don't believe everything you see on the news or read in the papers. Why not go up to Ardoyne some time and get yourself to a flash point before saying such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

county wrote:
    that post is bull, your place of birth is your nationality ,if you are born in the north you are british simple as that

no. you're 100% wrong.

in NI, your nationality is what you choose it to be.

you can have either a british passport, or an irish passport, or both if you so wish.

anyone born in ANY of the 32 counties in IRELAND, is IRISH and is entitled, by law, to declare their nationality as irish so long as they hold an irish passport.

county wrote:
    united kingdom OF great britain and northern ireland

yeah, so they're not british, they're united kingdom-ish.

and according to the law, anyone in northern ireland can hold an irish passport and declare themselves irish.

you just defeated your own arguement there, aren't you a smart one.

deisedevil wrote:
    Sinn Fein are not squeaky clean but they do not send parades down protestant areas in the North and they are not heading for London in their thousands with hundreds of Irish flags and drums and bands and singing rebel songs. The orange order are rotten to the core with violence, they love it and are built on violence and that is what most of them are marching for at all. Just look at how organised they were during the riots in the north recently, they had pipe bombs, petrol bombs all ready to go and even fired shots at the psni. Have a read of this: http://www.unison.ie/search/frame_search.php3?span=web&words=sinn%20fein%20protest%20in%20london
    Pretty good description of what they are about.
    I would be surprised and disgusted if Sinn Fein deliberatly try to start a riot in the streets of Dublin. It would be a huge mistake on their part.

it would also be worth mentioning that on the Love Ulster forum (yes, that's the forum of the group planning this march), there was a thread several days in advance about the exact times and locations of roadblocks and hijackings during the riots in belfast and surrounding areas during the summer.
    to spell that out simply:
    people on that site were part of organising riots and attacking their own police force over the summer, after they weren't allowed to march into catholic areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

anyone born in ANY of the 32 counties in IRELAND, is IRISH and is entitled, by law, to declare their nationality as irish so long as they hold an irish passport.

so if you do not hold a passport are you in limbo,and you state anyone BORN in the 32 counties is IRISH,so whats the problem with them marching,there irish in your view

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Lump wrote:
    WTF! They can't march in the republic... I think the Republicans should go march in London, I'm sure that'd go down well.

John

Of course they can it's a free country
    Welcome neighbours F*ck the biggots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

The unionist question and their role in the north is complex and filled with history.

I'll just throw something out there, two words people:

Ethnic Cleansing.

What do you think?

Advertisement