Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loyalist groups to march in Dublin

Options
  • 12-12-2005 1:20pm

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/12/12/story234594.html
    Loyalist groups planning ‘Love Ulster’ march in Dublin
    12/12/2005 - 07:56:34

A coalition of loyalist groups have announced plans to hold a march in Dublin city centre next month as part of a campaign to oppose what they believe is a push towards a united Ireland.

The march is being organised by the Love Ulster campaign, an alliance of Orangemen, loyalist activists and the victims of IRA violence.

The group was established to oppose what it believes is the dilution of the North's links with Britain as part of a scheme to force the North into a united Ireland.

The organisers say they are in talks with the Gardaí about a route for the parade, which will probably take place towards the end of January.

I have nothing to add, except I don't think this will end well.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

WTF! They can't march in the republic... I think the Republicans should go march in London, I'm sure that'd go down well.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Lump wrote:
    WTF! They can't march in the republic... I think the Republicans should go march in London, I'm sure that'd go down well.

John

Don't think they'd give a flyin flute to be honest..

but yeah... this probably will end badly... hopefully it wont though and we can all just get along :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

It would be a dangerous excercise but I wonder if I could get some of my urine into a few water ballons. Purely in the interests of science.

I'm not particularly republican but this is a bit much.

Oh look what I found. Their official website.

http://www.loveulster.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

A bit silly. With thing finally starting to get peacefull on BOTH sides there is no need for marches like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

http://www.loveulster.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2152 <<< have a read of this!

With comments like post #4 "I can't wait to see the faces on the nationalists when the union-jacks and the ulster flags are flown" it is obvious that some are coming to incite trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

It does seem like they should be marching in Belfast.

They say... "LoveUlster calls for the democratic rights of the Unionist community to be recognised and respected by government." That's fair enough, but which Government are they talking about? The Irish Government? British?

Having a march like this in the Republic seems inciteful to violence. I respect the opinions of Unionists in Northern Ireland but I don't fully understand where the sense in holding a march like this. I'm not convinced it can achieve anything beyond antagonising a few people.

However anybody armed with balloons of piss will be equally responsible if something kicks off.

Me thinks that Dubliners should shut shop and bar doors on the time of the day it is planned and for Dubliners to desert the streets where the marches will go.

Give 'em stiff silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

i think we should stand there and, em, eh... 'applaud'.... lots of us, and then route the march through some nice rough areas. :D

I would hope that the march would pass of peacefully, they get their point accross and perhaps show the people of Ulster the more reasonable side of Irelands population.

But in reality I think there could be trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

Funny how they go on about "Ulster". Someone really should show them a map sometime.
    LoveUlster calls for the democratic rights of the Unionist community to be recognised and respected by government.
    Since when are they not being respected? No one is stopping a Unionist running for election here.

There probably will be trouble if this goes ahead.

Exactly Dr Zoidberg, most of them are a bunch of whingers, even the London Government has turned their back on them.

What I cannot understand is, if they love England so much and want to be ruled by London, go and fecking live there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I think I might march for the larf! Piss off a few muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

They can **** right off. They deserve any violence they get if you ask me. They are just asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

Danno wrote:
    What I cannot understand is, if they love England so much and want to be ruled by London, go and fecking live there!

My thoughts exactly. I see absolutely no reason for them to feel the need to march in Dublin, they will just provoke violence. As you said, Danno, every Dubliner should stay inside, give them no attention whatsoever.

In my opinion this is not going to be a good day at all, I have the feeling that young hooligans with no understanding of Irish history will use it as an excuse to riot and cause mayhem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

There's no way this can be allowd, right?

There's no point to it whatsoever but to cause trouble...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

considering linfield fans can't come down here without getting pissed and starting fights and singing sectarian songs on the streets on the way to a match, and the Orange Order and UVF riotted for 2 weeks, caused roadblocks all over belfast, shut down most of the city, just because they weren't allowed march where they wanted to.
    the idea of these scum coming down here should be fun, no doubt drinking for half the day, and no doubt having a lrage contingence of orange order members, loyalist paramiltary members, and general hooligans based on their previous marches.
    considering the scenes of 50 year old orange order men with samuari swords attacking psni over the summer, i hope the gardai have some plan in place.

Ignore the orange trolls, starve them of the oxygen of publicity on which they depend and they'll stay at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Danno wrote:
    Me thinks that Dubliners should shut shop and bar doors on the time of the day it is planned and for Dubliners to desert the streets where the marches will go.

Give 'em stiff silence.

That'd be a good idea :)

OR, throw glass bottles at them! :D

They're just trying to stir up violence, and they're gonna be met by plenty of scumbags who won't be too happy to see them... hopefully they'll get a good beating, just what they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

They might aswell be Eskimos marching for special igloo rights as far as I'm concerned... I'd honestly give more of a shít if that was the case. :rolleyes:
    I don't want a united Ireland either, I want the whole of northern Ireland dug up and plopped in the middle of the Indian ocean so I don't have to hear about this petty bítch-fighting anymore.
    A good dose of apathy would work wonders for the situation in the north IMO... maybe the Gardai should send them all the marijuana they've seized in the last few years.

Cavan Bay

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'd like to think Ireland is a much free-er country than it was under British imperial rule, so f**k it let them march.

Let them march? - give them an inch... you know the rest. This spells trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

First the big shinner march a while back with all their semi-fascist flagwaving crap, now the "pehpol of Nordarn Ihrland" want to have their little hate parade through Dublin too! Jesus wept! Just leave us in peace boys. Go to Cork instead. Psst - I hear its the real capital of the Republic of Ireland! /jk:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

We should arrange prizes for whoever can launch the largest balloon of piss on the day. Extra points given for clever things like launching them out of big medieval style catapults and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Let them march!

Well all be there on the streets waving our Union flags and singing "God Save the Queen".
    I will be just like 1911 or so when George was paraded through the streets of Dublin.

It wasnt even 100 years ago when that scene occured!!!

Honestly though...remove the Union flag and let them march, if they still want to.
    There is no reason for them to wave the Union flag around as they will not be marching in the UK!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Danno wrote:
    Let them march? - give them an inch... you know the rest. This spells trouble.
    It's either that or spend the next 10 years listening to them moan about not being allowed to do it, not to mention all Ian Paisleys speeches about how the papists are trying to undermine freedom and democracy. Plus it'd give them another excuse to stop the peace process going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭RobEire

I hate the idea of them bringing their crap to Dublin, but at the same time how do you stop them? If they have made legal application to march and it is granted, then it would seem there is little we can do, except possibly arrange a counter march...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

considering linfield fans can't come down here without getting pissed and starting fights and singing sectarian songs on the streets on the way to a match,

:confused::confused::confused:

Please explain.

Advertisement