Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loyalist groups to march in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Longfield wrote:
    o unless if was for something clearly crazy like all rapists should get a one year sentance and all ppl caught speeding a 15 year one.

heheh cool idea for a march.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Someone from the Government should great them and tell them that coming that to the Republic is an integral part in building a United Ireland , they'll never want to come down here again .

'so it is ok for republicans to march in northern ireland waving tricolours,but not ok for loyalists to march in the south waving union flags,thank god there will never be a united ireland'

People from the north that hold Irish passports are citizens of Northern Ireland and the republic , people from the north that hold British passports are citizens of Norther Ireland and Britain . That's the difference .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

If there is a counter protest will any of the protestors be wearing Celtic shirts?

If so, what's their problem with wearing the jersies of proper Irish clubs like Shamrock Rovers, Bohemians, Derry City etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

county wrote:
    so it is ok for republicans to march in northern ireland waving tricolours,but not ok for loyalists to march in the south waving union flags,

I don't recall much support for the 'Make Parition History' parade by Republicans actually.
    county wrote:
    thank god there will never be a united ireland

Course there will. Just ask the unionists marching down to their nation's capital in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

This really pisses me off, those bastards can stay where they belong, Its going to create an amount of trouble. I hope they get the welcome they deserve, I'm not usually a hateful person but this is taking the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

Let them march
    What they would like is to be attacked so they can go home and tell everyone what a bunch of protestant hating papists we all are down south.

IMO this is their country as well and the fact that they want to march here is just a recognition of the fact.

This is a democracy and we do not have to agree with people to let them march let them march down O'Connell st waving their union jacks no reaction at all would be the best response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

I hope that the march will go ahead peacefully. I hope there is some official ROI representation at it to meet and greet with the victims etc... and also to let them know that in the ROI it is ok to voice your democratic aspirations. I'm sure this Love Ulster group has a lot of preconceptions about how they are likely to be treated in Ireland, and i've no doubt that a segment of them want all their preconcieved ideas to be validated through a violent response to their peaceful march in Dublin. If some of the base and emotional responses of the posters on this tread ever see reality then i'm sure the Unionists will undoubtedly feel validated. Both sides will continue to feel secure in their pre-assigned roles... and so the conflict will perpetuate indefinitely. However, if the response they recieved were peaceful and even cooperative, it would be a landmark testament to how far the ROI has developed in the last 70 years of state-hood. It would show how this is a much better place to be a citizen then in Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I can't wait to march, I've got all of my signs and t-shirts ready!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

Somehow I don't see this one having a happy ending if it goes ahead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Right, I read as far as Hobbes' post on page 4 of this thread, and a thought came to me when he mentioned he would love to see it go ahead and no media coverage of it was aired.

Right - I'd love that too. But, now you have to admit, Sky News would have a field day with this and be broadcasting it all over the world. Do you really think they would ignore it? And if they are following it, then the other news channels will have to follow suit, otherwise it would be a "sky news exclusive". Etc etc etc.

I don't want this to go ahead. I am not pro IRA, I do not condone the killings of others, however, I do not want them to march in Dublin.

As has already been said on here....
    1. There is no political need for it, or any kind of need that I can see. We are seperate.

2. I see this as an attempt to cause trouble, you can see this from the comments on their website - as already posted by some of the boards members.

Can you imagine Sinn Fein staging marches in London looking for a united Ireland? I don't think that will happen, there are ways to go about things, Sinn Fein are doing that via democracy. Northern Ireland is seperate from us, and I don't see why they want to march here.

The only thing I see from this, is those lads trying to cause trouble.

Now, is there anything we can do? Would sending letters/emails/making phone calls to our local representatives and to the big boys in Dublin make any difference?

Should the people of Ireland have a vote on this? Now that would be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

Why not put a poll thing together and sticky it here in after hours for a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

[QUOTE=Big Ears

People from the north that hold Irish passports are citizens of Northern Ireland and the republic , people from the north that hold British passports are citizens of Norther Ireland and Britain . That's the difference .[/QUOTE]

that post is bull, your place of birth is your nationality ,if you are born in the north you are british simple as that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

jerryadams wrote:
    Why not put a poll thing together and sticky it here in after hours for a bit?

Yes. Please can we have a poll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

county wrote:
    that post is bull, your place of birth is your nationality ,if you are born in the north you are british simple as that

technically you are from the United Kingdom rather than Great Britain. it is GB and NI

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

county wrote:

Eh no, your place of birth isn't your nationality. What if you're born in Spain while your parents are on holiday there, it doesn't make you Spanish.

county wrote:

Well then if you are born in Ireland you are Irish you would have to be born in Britain to be British :D:D thats the logical conclusion of that statement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

m1ke wrote:
    I hope that the march will go ahead peacefully. I hope there is some official ROI representation at it to meet and greet with the victims etc... and also to let them know that in the ROI it is ok to voice your democratic aspirations. I'm sure this Love Ulster group has a lot of preconceptions about how they are likely to be treated in Ireland, and i've no doubt that a segment of them want all their preconcieved ideas to be validated through a violent response to their peaceful march in Dublin. If some of the base and emotional responses of the posters on this tread ever see reality then i'm sure the Unionists will undoubtedly feel validated. Both sides will continue to feel secure in their pre-assigned roles... and so the conflict will perpetuate indefinitely. However, if the response they recieved were peaceful and even cooperative, it would be a landmark testament to how far the ROI has developed in the last 70 years of state-hood. It would show how this is a much better place to be a citizen then in Northern Ireland.

Well said! Worst thing possible would be to rise to the bait. I hope they are ignored by the public on the streets and listened to by the politicians. Where will the bitterness towards each other stop. We need big, unexpected and unprecedented gestures, someone has to start it. If we do not react and show we are willing to listen then maybe unionists who genuinely wish for peace and who genuinely want to bring about a change for the better in the north will ignore the bigots and the likes of paisley and be willing to compromise and work towards a better situation. It's not like it would make a huge difference immediatly but it's got to start somewhere. I doubt any of this will come about and i'm fairly sure if they do march there will be trouble. Seems to me there has already been a lot of compromise on the side of republicans which is never acknowledged by the likes of paisley, he said nothing could change until the IRA decomissioned, they have and this still was not enough for him. Now they want to march in Dublin in an attempt to antagonise us, let them march, don't fall for their tactics. Eventually, not all but some, will start to realise they need to compromise also. A small step for an Irish man, a giant leap for Ireland.

sjones wrote:

Can you imagine Sinn Fein staging marches in London looking for a united Ireland? I don't think that will happen, there are ways to go about things, Sinn Fein are doing that via democracy. Northern Ireland is seperate from us, and I don't see why they want to march here.

\.

Actually Sinn Fein have marched in london

Demoracy allows the freedom of speech and assembly as long as they do not break any incitement to hatred laws I have no problem with it. Opposing it is exactly what they would want it would play right into the scenario that they try to peddle up the North that the South is a moncultural statelet that has no space to allow other traditions or cultures

Just because someone marches down O'Connell St with a Union Jack will not make me any less Irish no more than if the Polish community marched down with a polish flag.

Makaveli wrote:
    Eh no, your place of birth isn't your nationality. What if you're born in Spain while your parents are on holiday there, it doesn't make you Spanish.

technically,yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

/me smacks forehead in frustration :rolleyes:

Hmm, maybe the gardai should allow the march on the provision that all members of the march must hold an Irish passport? :D

DUBLIN SHAYSH NOOEE

• Advertisement

Mossy Monk wrote:
    technically you are from the United Kingdom rather than Great Britain. it is GB and NI

united kingdom OF great britain and northern ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Let them have their little march. No skin off my nose. They're just as pathetic as those fenian 'ra heads you sometimes see marching along in their stupid combats & waving their little tricolours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

shltter wrote:
    Actually Sinn Fein have marched in london

Well then, seems only fair that Unionists can march down here. No difference really is there?

I think we should all go out with "Failte go hEireann" and "Welcome foreign visitors!" signs. I think that would irritate them far more than p*ss bombs and violence.

It's just a march anyway, why do people continually get so riled up about this -- that's what they want. Ignore it and it'll go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

To be honest I don't see a huge problem. The Republic of Ireland is one of the two states that will effectively determine NI's future; the UK is the other one. This group seems to want to make their case to the Irish government, which seems reasonable under the circumstances. An SF rally did similar, recently, with people mostly bussed in from the North, IIRC. Would there be the same level of complaint if SF had a march in London?

rsynnott wrote:
    To be honest I don't see a huge problem. The Republic of Ireland is one of the two states that will effectively determine NI's future; the UK is the other one. This group seems to want to make their case to the Irish government, which seems reasonable under the circumstances. An SF rally did similar, recently, with people mostly bussed in from the North, IIRC. Would there be the same level of complaint if SF had a march in London?

Of course there would! The IRA had a bombing campaign in London and some members of Sinn Fein were members of the IRA. People over there would not stand for it especially seeing as they have had terrorist attacks again only recently! There would be outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

deisedevil wrote:
    Of course there would! The IRA had a bombing campaign in London and some members of Sinn Fein were members of the IRA. People over there would not stand for it especially seeing as they have had terrorist attacks again only recently! There would be outrage.

Except, SF have demonstrated in London, no?

I still favour an Operation Ploughshare-related solution....
    (joke, before I get accused of advocating the death of thousands)

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

Why should any Irish Person be stopped from marching in there capital ;)

rsynnott wrote:
    Except, SF have demonstrated in London, no?

I still favour an Operation Ploughshare-related solution....
    (joke, before I get accused of advocating the death of thousands)

When did Sinn Fein have a parade through London? Did they put on their berets and wave hundreds of Irish flags in the faces of the English? Did they play rebel songs and make a general nuisance of themselves. If the Unionists have a march in Ireland you can be damn sure they will go over the top with Union Jacks, banging drums and playing flutes, Orange all over and will be looking to create as much trouble as possible! Sinn Fein do not go on marches to stir up trouble, they do not march through unionist areas and cause riots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

county wrote:
    united kingdom OF great britain and northern ireland

yes that was my point :) except maybe the and should have been in capitals rather than of

notice how Great Britain and Northern Ireland are sperate. together yes they are classed as the United Kingdom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I say let them march, they're Irish, they're part of the history and culture of this island. I wouldn't mind the Chinese community celebrating their new year or other cultural events.

Advertisement