Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loyalist groups to march in Dublin

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

it continued on for weeks after that too.
    apparently american news is more important than Irish news though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Angels

Did anyone see 'Questions & Answers' last night on RTE 1???

Can someone please tell me that i was seeing & hearing things??

The programme was completely biast towards these so called peacefull marchers, all there doing is creating hassle for Irish repulican people.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

If anyone sees footage of Holy Cross trouble in Belfast please take note of what sort of people were starting trouble, ie tracksuits,football scarves etc. If anyone sees footage of saturdays events in Dublin please take note of what sort of people were starting trouble,ie tracksui. . . .

True, BUT the big difference bettween these two packs of scumbags is that the Orange Men & Women were abusing children. The scumbags in dublin were having a riot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭The Wicker Man

There are approx 900,000 protestants in NI.
    There are approx 40,000 men and women in the orange order.
    That means there are approx 860,000 protestants who are not in the orange order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

There are approx 900,000 protestants in NI.
    There are approx 40,000 men and women in the orange order.
    That means there are approx 860,000 protestants who are not in the orange order.

Are you serious? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

gurramok wrote:
    There was an excellent report on UTV Live at 6pm on the riots, it showed unseen footage of loyalist Orange bands parading at the dail and one loyalist bloke banging his lambeg drum at a protester waving a flag.
    Same report showed what happened when the rioters learned that they were there on Kildare street, it showed hundreds running towards the dail via Nassau St trying to reach the loyalists but they left before they could even touch them.
    Extreme naeivety of the powers that be to bus the loyaists there, it brought mayhem to the southside!
    Same report should be on after 10:30pm ITV news tonight

Anyone record this? I missed it completly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Have the details of the report about the riot been published? Supposedly it says that 'football hooligans' were the main culprits, and not dissident Republicans.

Any ideas?

I'd be inclined to agree with that anyway...!
    The rioting that accompanied Saturday's contentious loyalist parade in Dublin is expected to dominate the weekly cabinet meeting today.

Justice Minister Michael McDowell is due to brief his ministerial colleagues on a preliminary garda report into the violence which he received last night.

Mr McDowell has blamed dissident republicans for the riots, but reports this morning said Gardai were investigating the possibility that football hooligans may have been responsible.

Many of those involved in the violence were wearing Celtic jerseys and are believed to have been drinking in an O'Connell Street pub popular with Celtic fans.

The garda report into the matter is believed to say there was no indication of any planned violence by dissident republicans.

The riots are due to be discussed during a special Dail debate tonight, with the Government expected to come under criticism from opposition politicians about the failure to predict and prepare for the trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

DaveMcG wrote:
    Have the details of the report about the riot been published? Supposedly it says that 'football hooligans' were the main culprits, and not dissident Republicans.

Any ideas?

I'd be inclined to agree with that anyway...!

Because of the culture of volence around FAI matches? Can you tell me when the last time there was an incident meriting serious public order unit involvement at an irish soccer match?

* yes yes the brits, but while you may feel the brits did have a hand in this metaphorically the people chucking rocks were irish, and aside from the demented secartian hooliganism of the North in the 70s there isn't a culture of FAI football hooliganism.

We leave that to the Dublin GAA team.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

here's the deal. the clip you are aout to see is taken from the indymedia footage of the riot. there is a certain person being arrested by the gardai and i know this guy.
    he is a misguided individual who feels compelled to support the IRA. now several people have said that when you go abroad, you see the stupidity of supporting the IRA. not so for this guy. he has travelled the world and he came back dumber than ever.
    there is no doubting the involvement of mindless thug in the riot. we see them every day of the week. whether they be junkies begging for money, young fellas walking around the city centre in a gang, dutch gold drinkers or just plain idiots who will start a fight for no reason.

moderator disagrees? i'll take it down.
    actually, i'll not put the clip up without support from moderators.
    anyway, it has a guy i know in it. described above.

Freelancer wrote:
    Because of the culture of volence around FAI matches? Can you tell me when the last time there was an incident meriting serious public order unit involvement at an irish soccer match?

* yes yes the brits, but while you may feel the brits did have a hand in this metaphorically the people chucking rocks were irish, and aside from the demented secartian hooliganism of the North in the 70s there isn't a culture of FAI football hooliganism.

We leave that to the Dublin GAA team.... ;)

No, but because the scumbags and idiots and morons and wasters I've been talking about are generally that kind of people who take part in hooliganism at football matches too. I'm not blaming Celtic, or Shamrock rovers, or anything... they just happen to have alot of violent scumbag supporters.

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote:
    No, but because the scumbags and idiots and morons and wasters I've been talking about are generally that kind of people who take part in hooliganism at football matches too. I'm not blaming Celtic, or Shamrock rovers, or anything... they just happen to have alot of violent scumbag supporters.

And again when was the last riot at a rovers match?

There isn't a culture of football hooliganism in ireland and you're suggesting there is.

Well I know alot of people that would be involved in it... I don't know how 'hooliganism' is defined, but groups of rival supporters meeting up after matches and having brawls, is what I'm referring to, and it does happen, just not on the scale that it happens in England, and not really as organised. Just scumbags really, dipping their finger in anything violent.

Hey, I nearly have 2000 posts!

DaveMcG wrote:
    Well I know alot of people that would be involved in it... I don't know how 'hooliganism' is defined, but groups of rival supporters meeting up after matches and having brawls, is what I'm referring to, and it does happen, just not on the scale that it happens in England, and not really as organised. Just scumbags really, dipping their finger in anything violent.

Hey, I nearly have 2000 posts!

The only serious football hooliganism in ireland was in some Belfast teams particularly the infamous Clifftonville fans in Belfast, suggesting that there is a culture of football hooliganism in ireland does a discredit on the vast vast majority of irish football fans.

You say there was a couple of thugs fine, don't start with lurid suggestions of football fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Freelancer wrote:
    You say there was a couple of thugs fine, don't start with lurid suggestions of football fans
    Here here!

I even find the "disaffected youth" BS easier to swallow than this cr*p...

Freelancer wrote:
    The only serious football hooliganism in ireland was in some Belfast teams particularly the infamous Clifftonville fans in Belfast, suggesting that there is a culture of football hooliganism in ireland does a discredit on the vast vast majority of irish football fans.

I never said that there was a culture of hooliganism, but that people in Ireland that take part in hooliganism are the kind of people that made up the bulk of the rioters last Saturday.

But your warning has been given the thought it deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Freelancer wrote:

Cliftonville fans are picked out by some Unionist teams supporters(a few belfast clubs plus Portadown) largely because of their Nationalist following.

The worst hooliganism was between Linfield and Glentoran last year where their 'fans' pelted each other and the crowd with anything they could muster, jog your memory?

gurramok wrote:
    Cliftonville fans are picked out by some Unionist teams supporters(a few belfast clubs plus Portadown) largely because of their Nationalist following.

The worst hooliganism was between Linfield and Glentoran last year where their 'fans' pelted each other and the crowd with anything they could muster, jog your memory?

No the worst instances according to Henry Mc Donald, former Cliftonville fan, and Ireland correspodent for the observer, were in the 70s were fans engaged in open warfare and there were heavier police presences than at major mainland games, it was a ritual for cliftonville fans to pelt the house of Gerry Fitt on the way to the ground.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 JimmyK

Danno wrote:
    Exactly Dr Zoidberg, most of them are a bunch of whingers, even the London Government has turned their back on them.

What I cannot understand is, if they love England so much and want to be ruled by London, go and fecking live there!

Danno, there are 2 sides to that argument.

I have heard Northern Irish protestants saying that if the nationalists love the republic so much they should move down south. They see NI as their country.

I agree with you that they are just a bunch of whingers though.

Freelancer wrote:
    No the worst instances according to Henry Mc Donald, former Cliftonville fan, and Ireland correspodent for the observer, were in the 70s were fans engaged in open warfare and there were heavier police presences than at major mainland games, it was a ritual for cliftonville fans to pelt the house of Gerry Fitt on the way to the ground.......

Err, we are talking about these days not 30 years ago!!

Heavier police presence to protect the fans from bigoted sections of rival teams.

gurramok wrote:
    Err, we are talking about these days not 30 years ago!!

Really theres a statute of limitations on these things? Or do you not like it because it shows catholics and republicans can be just as bigoted and violent as the other side.
    Heavier police presence to protect the fans from bigoted sections of rival teams.

Yeah those 3,000 people need to be protected from the bigoted sections of the other team. Fúcking hell, 11 Glentoran players verus a mob, I know who my money is on.

• Advertisement

Willie Frazer said that they're gonna give the parade a re-run, and they've even got a date in mind (although they're not announcing it yet).

The Taoiseach kinda side-stepped answering about whether he supports it or not, and said that the Gardaí will receive the proposal and decide.

It was on the radio there at 11, can't find a link though cos it's only recent news.

Do you think their intelligence will suggest that there'll be violence at this one?

Computer says no :rolleyes:

http://dailyireland.televisual.co.uk/home.tvt?_scope=DailyIreland/Content/News&id=25242&opp=1&_ticket=9NTHLXD4YGSGX4TFONNADY7BZKLAFUUGUXRIITOIFQVJ9LLDN32STRRIVON9ANVRARKACJ5L5QRFK12D9NTGNOM9CHUT1YQFIRY4S0SEAOYBCLWFURUQCB99ANWR9LLGGGSG00QFIRYVS3A7X38Q0

Organisers hope to hold new rally in Dublin on day British queen visits

Ciarán Barnes

04/03/2006

Organisers of the Love Ulster rally are planning to parade through Dublin on the same day that the British queen visits the Irish capital.
    At a press conference in Belfast yesterday, loyalists involved in last weekend’s aborted march through the city signified their intention to return South.
    They said the most likely date for a second loyalist parade along Dublin’s O’Connell Street was the same day that Elizabeth II would visit Ireland.
    With a huge security presence guaranteed in Dublin for the British queen’s visit, Love Ulster organisers are confident that there will be no repeat of the violence that engulfed the city last week.
    Forty people were arrested and more than 100 injured in the worst rioting to occur in Dublin in 25 years.
    A date has yet to be set for Elizabeth Windsor’s historic visit to Ireland, the first by a British monarch since the founding of the Southern state in 1922.
    Daily Ireland understands that, when the date is confirmed, Love Ulster will go public with details of its second Dublin rally.
    Spokesman Willie Frazer said: “We would like to go back as soon as possible.
    “But there is a lot of questions that are going to have to be answered by members of the Dáil.
    “We want reassurances from them. We don`t want to have people batoned off the streets of Dublin so we can parade down through Dublin.”
    William Wilkinson, another of the Love Ulster organisers, called on the Irish government to hold an inquiry into the Dublin riots.
    “One of the issues that we will be pressing for will be an inquiry,” he said.
    “For any of you who are aware of similar events historically, in Northern Ireland when civil rights marches were attacked, the government of the day then had the Cameron inquiry [in 1969].
    “We feel that is the most constructive step that the Irish government could take. It could address on-the-ground, practical issues on the day of why this trouble was allowed to roll on.”
    Taoiseach Bertie Ahern has said that the decision to allow another march would be for the Garda Síochána.
    Tánaiste Mary Harney has said Love Ulster marchers should have the right to parade in Dublin.
    Republican Sinn Féin has vowed to mount another protest.

I don't think the British queen would want to be tarnished with extreme loyalists marching by her side in Dublin, it would be an spectacularly own goal by herself..

There would be less opposition to a visit by herself than opposition to a hate march by extremists IMHO
    When those loyalists do come back with their sectarian bands, there will be many more people opposing it as it will be widely publicised this time unlike last time.
    In the end, it will be a bonus pay day for the Gardai and only the people of Dublin will lose out economically.

gurramok wrote:
    I don't think the British queen would want to be tarnished with extreme loyalists marching by her side in Dublin, it would be an spectacularly own goal by herself..

There would be less opposition to a visit by herself than opposition to a hate march by extremists IMHO
    When those loyalists do come back with their sectarian bands, there will be many more people opposing it as it will be widely publicised this time unlike last time.

yeah I agree.

However I'm just after readin in the People that the Gardaí aren't gonna let the march go ahead! I haven't read the full thing, but it mentioned 'another plan for a riot', and stuff about the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 KOD

Anyone seen the outrageous news that they might be coming back?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I heard on the radio news the other day that some blokes were charged with beating up a chinese guy on the day of the riots - does anyone know if that's the attack on Westland Roe that a boardsie got some photos of?

Also - a tangent - on the radio they referred to them as the 'Love Ulster' riots. wtf?!! They were Republican Riots through and through!! Not to say that anyone that's republican (I am) supported the riots, more that's the flag that the rioters were flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Love Ulster was the name of the event, so the riots were given that name for convenience's sake I suppose.

What's with the random digging up of old threads today?

What's with your face?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

What's wit yore ma?

• Advertisement
Advertisement