Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loyalist groups to march in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

julep wrote:
    so we are supposed to put up with bigots who hate us marching through our capital city?

So we're supposed to pick up paving stones, throw petrol bombs and trash cars if they try to.
    you can use the 'turn a blind eye' defence all you want, but that won't work on the scum who rioted through Dublin on saturday.

So you're saying the scum had a point?
    why can't you see that 'love ulster' are hateful people?
    Oh I can, hateful bastards I have to share an island with, all that happened on saturday was their bigoted prejudices got some more justification.
    this riot wouldn't have happened if they hadn't tried to have an orange order parade through Dublin. they called it a protest march, but it was an orange order parade in disguise.

Love the fault of the riot lies on the person who riots, no one else. We lack the maturity to realise the best course of action was to ignore these hateful men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I was against the march, and I was against the violence, but I knew it would happen. It's funny how the same people here are saying "****ing scumbags ruining it for the rest of us, making us look like x,y,z" are saying "how can we live with ourselves after this". Lads, it was just a bunch of skangers and IRA wannabes that caused the riots. I didn't see any decent Irish citizen causing the violence.

You need stop for a moment, you're just getting caught up in all of the media bull****. Take a deep breath, and think about it again. A bunch of skangers wrecked some cars and beat some people up. That's all it was. Frankly, I don't care about it at all. I didn't want the march to go ahead, or the riot to happen, but both things were out of my control. And I don't care if this 'makes us look bad', because if someone takes this at face value and thinks that because of this all Irish people are x,y,z, then I don't really care about an opinion of someone who makes that sort of generalisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Freelancer wrote:
    We lack the maturity to realise the best course of action was to ignore these hateful men.

WE did ignore it, a bunch of skangers didn't. see my previous post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

It was blatantly obvious that the proposed march would end in mayhem. For this reason in particular the march should not have been let go ahead. IMO the riots were exactly what the loyalists wanted as it confirmed the picture they wanted to paint of what we are like in the south and what loyalists would be subjected to if they ever succumbed to a united Ireland. It is still no excuse for the mindless vandalism that took place. I met a neighbour in town on Friday and he asked me was coming in to town on Saturday for the march to cause a bit of hassle, this guy is a complete half-wit and typifies the fools that were rioting.
    On a personal note, I was disappointed to see the number of Celtic jerseys around the riots (being a Celtic season ticket holder) as it will confirm in a lot of peroples minds that the Celtic jersey is a sign of a scumbag etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭kellxor.1337

Everyone knew that it was gonna happen that way, As Sjones and Julep were saying, It was just scumbags and scangers using there stupidity to make "THEMSELVES" look bad, I do agree it was an orange order in disguise, I was just in town on the day cause i had to go from one luas stop to the other so i happened to pass it, I seen a few Men on a bus gettin there orange gear in order, Thinkin to myself if this is supposed to be a protest march why on earth are they wearing there orange sach's (sp), Look at it this way, You think the loyalists would leave a group of republicans march through there area, "DOUBTFUL" Why on Earth were they left come here,

Dont get me wrong, I've nothin against protestants or notrtheners, I'm friends with a few people from up north, and have dated a girl who's dad was a loyalist, But now, 1 year, 5 years, 100 years there's always going to be this Hatrid and Violent Aggression between Loyalists and Republicans, FACT

Kellxor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Freelancer wrote:
    So we're supposed to pick up paving stones, throw petrol bombs and trash cars if they try to.
    no. we're supposed to refuse them permission to have their bigotfest.

So you're saying the scum had a point?
    where did i say the scum had a point. all i see here is you trying to twist my words to fit your own agenda.
    the scum will riot at any given oppotunity. this is what makes them scum.
    the march should not have been given permission because it was basically scum against scum. one group of scumbags wanting to throw their hateful outlook in our faces and another group of scumbags willing to riot at the drop of a (bowler in this case) hat.
    Oh I can, hateful bastards I have to share an island with, all that happened on saturday was their bigoted prejudices got some more justification.
    indeed it did give their bigoted prejudices justification. no allowing the march would also have done this, but to a far lesser extent and we wouldn't be facing a huge clean up bill because of it. not to mention the embarassment these rioting scumbags caused us.

Love the fault of the riot lies on the person who riots, no one else. We lack the maturity to realise the best course of action was to ignore these hateful men.
    they would not have had the opportunity to riot had this march been refused permission.
    as for lacking the maturity to ignore it; don't tar us all with the one brush. i ignored it by staying home and turning the other cheek, even though i disagreed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ozzy

Well done to the Gardai for doing a shit job, well done to the dumbass brainless tracksuit skanger white runner celtic jersey brigade for their looting and pointless destruction of our cool city...
    well done to the Loyalists for inciting all of this with their unnecessary and pompous parade/march/bullshit, and especially well done to our incompetent government for making a complete balls of everything... all of the time.

Hurray!

I reckon the same thing would happen if Nationalists tried to march in a predominantly Loyalist area. And as the funktastic Run DMC once roared "It's like that, and that's the way it is!"
    I say pave the roads with lino and let's all breakdancemarch together peacefully, like adults.

it's on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭kellxor.1337

I can see them Puttin a toll booth for breakdancing on lino though, the goverment couldnt handle another roadworks, Private company to put down the lino on all major roads,
    lol

Kellxor

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ozzy

Ha ha yeah you're right! First we break the government then we breakdance lads

ah sed a hip hop a hibbeh to the hoppeh say up jump the boogie...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Bertie was very quick to announce this attack on democracy etc
    Does he realise that the young people in Celtic tops who were throwing bricks at gardai and waving tri-colours are the very same people who will turn up to his Military parade to commemorate 1916. He can't have it both ways.
    It was extremly obvious this would happen, I think the Govt. and the gardai were afraid to try to object or cancel the parade as it would look bad for them politically. They had to go with the whole "absolutely no concerns about this" line. Bloody obvious there would be issues with orangemen closing O'Connell St to walk past the GPO (home of the 1916 rising & proclamation etc) dressed in Orange sach and waving their Union Jacks and playing marching music. It is not peaceful demonstration its "Incitement". Its almost as bad a flag burning or effigy burning.
    I'm disappointed it was allowed to go ahead. If republicans were to march down the shankhill waving tricolours what do you think would be the effect? peaceful demo? :confused:

100gSoma wrote:
    I'm disappointed it was allowed to go ahead. If republicans were to march down the shankhill waving tricolours what do you think would be the effect? peaceful demo? :confused:
    i'll answer that, because the right-on pro march people here will avoid answering it.
    they would be shot at, stoned, have petrol bombs thrown at them and various other objects.
    thing is, it wouldn't be allowed in the first place. the loyalists on belfast city council would say no. they like saying that word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

julep wrote:
    i'll answer that, because the right-on pro march people here will avoid answering it.
    I'll answer it too.

Exactly what you said would happen would take place. Which is irrelevant because you can't compare the standard marching route in Dublin to an area like the Shankill road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

sjones wrote:
    I was against the march, and I was against the violence, but I knew it would happen. It's funny how the same people here are saying "****ing scumbags ruining it for the rest of us, making us look like x,y,z" are saying "how can we live with ourselves after this". Lads, it was just a bunch of skangers and IRA wannabes that caused the riots. I didn't see any decent Irish citizen causing the violence.

You need stop for a moment, you're just getting caught up in all of the media bull****. Take a deep breath, and think about it again. A bunch of skangers wrecked some cars and beat some people up. That's all it was. Frankly, I don't care about it at all. I didn't want the march to go ahead, or the riot to happen, but both things were out of my control. And I don't care if this 'makes us look bad', because if someone takes this at face value and thinks that because of this all Irish people are x,y,z, then I don't really care about an opinion of someone who makes that sort of generalisation.

Exactimundo!

People need to stop dignifying the riot and associating it with a political cause. It was, as this fella says, just a bunch of IRA-wannabes and scumbags who lack the common sense and intelligence to carry out a peaceful protest. There are bad apples in every society and every organisation, and that's all that was exposed here: the bad apples in Dublin. We all went to school, and there were lads down the back on the class throwing paper airplanes, doodling Chuckee arr laww on their pencil cases, and throwin in the "SINN FEIN"/"IRA" part in Fields of Athenry... yeah? Well that's who it was -- it was those lads: the gobsh!tes and idiots of society who won't amount to anything.

Just stop believing everything the papers are saying, cos it's mainly bullsh!t. The violence was faintly political because some scumbags caught the scent of hostility and took advantage, and the RIOT was NOT political in any way shape or form -- it was just scumbags taking advantage again.

Sin é.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Celtic67 wrote:
    On a personal note, I was disappointed to see the number of Celtic jerseys around the riots (being a Celtic season ticket holder) as it will confirm in a lot of peroples minds that the Celtic jersey is a sign of a scumbag etc etc.

A lot of people would have held that opinion before last Saturday.

There is something deeply hypocritical about people who call themselves republicans and choose to wear the jersey of a Scottish football club who play an English game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i just remembered a story from a few years ago. some people might remember it. there was a primary school in the north that a lot of catholic children went to (cant remember the name). but they had to pass through a loyalist street to get to it. for a few weeks all the loyalist residents came out and protested them doing it. they weren't violent, they just blew whistles and stuff, although there was one small bang that no one got hurt in. can't remember what the bang was.

my point is this: how can these people insist that they be allowed march through the streets of a country they openly despise, playing music commemorating their victories over us, waving banners of sectarian organisations, when they protest five year olds going to school down their roads?

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    A lot of people would have held that opinion before last Saturday.

There is something deeply hypocritical about people who call themselves republicans and choose to wear the jersey of a Scottish football club who play an English game.

thought that was pretty funny myself

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

my point is this: how can these people insist that they be allowed march through the streets of a country they openly despise, playing music commemorating their victories over us, waving banners of sectarian organisations, when they protest five year olds going to school down their roads?

And out of all the places in the whole country, they want to march past the G.P.O beating drums .... now that is extracting the mickey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The organisers for the Love Ulster rally are meant to be meeting tonight to discuss whether they will attempt to restage the march. Anyone hear anything on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

i just remembered a story from a few years ago. some people might remember it. there was a primary school in the north that a lot of catholic children went to (cant remember the name). but they had to pass through a loyalist street to get to it. for a few weeks all the loyalist residents came out and protested them doing it. they weren't violent, they just blew whistles and stuff, although there was one small bang that no one got hurt in. can't remember what the bang was.

Are you talking about Holy Cross? Nice episode that was. How can you say it was not violent against primary school children?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

julep wrote:
    they would be shot at, stoned, have petrol bombs thrown at them and various other objects.
    thing is, it wouldn't be allowed in the first place. the loyalists on belfast city council would say no. they like saying that word.

So we shouldn't try to do better than them? I'm reminded of justifications of torture in Abu Gharib with "worse things happened under Saddam"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

the bang was several blast bombs thrown in the vicinity, and homes of the catholic children attacked, aswell as the school itself.

i don't think the children, parents, local nationalist politicains, and church leaders getting hit with condoms and balloons filled with faeces and urine make a bang sound. nor the residents of the street + many others who came along for the craiccalling 7 year old girls and their parents "dirty fenian ku-n-ts".

i'd take issue with your judgement that it wasn't violent however.

we did try to be better than them. unfortunately a few hundred knackers didn't feel the same way.
    Are you talking about Holy Cross? Nice episode that was. How can you say it was not violent against primary school children?

ahh yes. the infamous holy cross episode. of course, 'love ulster' will deny outright that they had anything to do with that. i'm not saying they did, but out of 4 bus loads of people, you can be fairly sure that at least one of them was there. they share the same ideals anyway (catholics are filthy pigs). not a one off incident either. this happened every weekday for weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

There was an excellent report on UTV Live at 6pm on the riots, it showed unseen footage of loyalist Orange bands parading at the dail and one loyalist bloke banging his lambeg drum at a protester waving a flag.
    Same report showed what happened when the rioters learned that they were there on Kildare street, it showed hundreds running towards the dail via Nassau St trying to reach the loyalists but they left before they could even touch them.
    Extreme naeivety of the powers that be to bus the loyaists there, it brought mayhem to the southside!
    Same report should be on after 10:30pm ITV news tonight

thats the one. it may have got violent. i only vaguely remember it. all i remembered was them blowing whistles at them. still a shameful display even if you forget the fact that they wanted to commit an infinitely more offensive act on our streets than 5 year olds walking to school. (infinitely because 5 year olds walkig to school has an offensiveness rating of zero)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

CVimes, they spat at the kids as well and threw a pipe bomb
    I remember seeing the headline news on ITV at the time, it showed loyalists for what they really are to ordinary folk in Britain.

gurramok wrote:
    CVimes, they spat at the kids as well and threw a pipe bomb
    I remember seeing the headline news on ITV at the time, it showed loyalists for what they really are to ordinary folk in Britain.

i'm not denying it, i'm sure they did. i only vaguely remember the whole thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭The Wicker Man

If anyone sees footage of Holy Cross trouble in Belfast please take note of what sort of people were starting trouble, ie tracksuits,football scarves etc. If anyone sees footage of saturdays events in Dublin please take note of what sort of people were starting trouble,ie tracksui. . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dilly1

If anyone sees footage of Holy Cross trouble in Belfast please take note of what sort of people were starting trouble, ie tracksuits,football scarves etc. If anyone sees footage of saturdays events in Dublin please take note of what sort of people were starting trouble,ie tracksui. . . .

thats true, the two side hate each other, yet they have so much in common they should really be freinds, although they would always end up fighting after they have a belly full of lager. Like the tracksuit wearing trash did on Saturday night, I saw them turn on their own after they got too drunk.
    Thick idiots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Actually what was very scary about that event was that it wasn't only those sorts of people causing trouble. There were middle aged women, likely mothers, roaring abuse at young children.

The incident at Holy Cross disapeared from the news fairly quickly because it took place in the weeks preceeding the World Trade Centre attacks.

Advertisement