Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Trinity Hall thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Vangelis

Pet wrote:
    It's really not that bad, I've never had too much of an issue with noise. Unless you're a REALLY light sleeper you'd be fine. Although I'm on the fourth floor so I suppose I'm above it all..

And wrt privacy, the room inspections are once per term, they give you plenty of notice, and they literally just look in the door of your room to check you haven't wrecked the place.

Okay, it isn't that bad.
    But, from reading previous posts of yours, I don't think you'd fit in. A holier-than-thou attitude won't get you too far. T-hall IS a student development remember, you're not going to get pin-drop silence all the time.

You misread me and you're evidently trying to hurt me. I have no idea how you could get this impression of me.

And I have to say that I quite like silence.

Although I have to say that people who have rowdy parties and... scream at wardens.. are probably not the kind of intelligent people who will end up with a PhD or some other great achievement. That much joy I can have, and with full right. 'Holier-than-thou"? You might say so. At least, I'm proud that I'm not someone who loves the vanity of drinking and senseless partying and shouting at wardens.

snorlax, you're lucky. I will have to make my own meals no matter what as I'm an overseas student(or will be soon). And my parents are not coming with me of course! It's a hard world. Anyway, I can imagine that some company would be delightful! :) And yeah, especially by guys with odd accents!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Pet you obviously had the luck of living in a block with nice people. I didn't have a problem at all in 1st year, just the odd party, or odd people shouting outside, then 2nd year was a nightmare. It really annoyed me that my flatmate accused me of being uptight and oversensitive because I'm not at all, in fact I'm way more laid back than average, but I expect to be able to get some sleep on weeknights, between say 1am and 7am. I don't think that's unreasonable. She'd go out on say a Tuesday night and come back locked with 5 friends, and blast out music at 4 or 5am, at least once or twice a week and couldn't see why I was so annoyed. Some people are alright with little sleep but I can't function without it, and I think the problem should have been sorted earlier than it was (about a month before the end of the year when she screamed at the warden)

As I said, I'm easygoing and this got to me so if you're uptight and whatnot I wouldn't live there. Loads of people have problems with messy kitchens, and people who never wash up or clean etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Vangelis

IzzyWizzy wrote:
    Pet you obviously had the luck of living in a block with nice people. I didn't have a problem at all in 1st year, just the odd party, or odd people shouting outside, then 2nd year was a nightmare. It really annoyed me that my flatmate accused me of being uptight and oversensitive because I'm not at all, in fact I'm way more laid back than average, but I expect to be able to get some sleep on weeknights, between say 1am and 7am. I don't think that's unreasonable. She'd go out on say a Tuesday night and come back locked with 5 friends, and blast out music at 4 or 5am, at least once or twice a week and couldn't see why I was so annoyed. Some people are alright with little sleep but I can't function without it, and I think the problem should have been sorted earlier than it was (about a month before the end of the year when she screamed at the warden)

As I said, I'm easygoing and this got to me so if you're uptight and whatnot I wouldn't live there. Loads of people have problems with messy kitchens, and people who never wash up or clean etc

I feel your pain, Izzy. That's my biggest fear. Ending up with a disrespectful, immature tart. I don't see how people like that get into college at all. Are they at all motivated to study and do well? It surprises me too that someone like that can have the grades to get into college. It's rather dumb. In spite of whatever grades they've got.

Diagnosis: "IQ = 0 in spite of general good behaviour in school and impressive results!" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Vangelis, for all you know that may be you next year. Alot of people change entirely in college. So stop making comments about something you know nothing of yet. You have to just experence college there is no point about over-planning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I agree entirely with Nietzschean here. I'd also like to add that University is no one thing, you can strike quite a nice balance of experience if you wish.
    Vangelis wrote:
    Although I have to say that people who have rowdy parties and... scream at wardens.. are probably not the kind of intelligent people who will end up with a PhD or some other great achievement.
    All I can say is that you obviously don't know a lot of PhD students. I do, many of whom are the biggest nutters going. Your generalisation is a bit bare and speculative..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭wayfarer

ApeXaviour wrote:
    All I can say is that you obviously don't know a lot of PhD students. I do, many of whom are the biggest nutters going. Your generalisation is a bit bare and speculative..

Exactly! One thing you'll be suprised to realise when you get to college is that being a p*sshead has no bearing whatsoever on a persons grades.

And just one other thing...
    Vangelis wrote:
    Diagnosis: "IQ = 0 in spite of general good behaviour in school and impressive results!" :eek:

Eeuuuuuuuggghh!! It's actually impossible to have an IQ of 0! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

ApeXaviour wrote:

I concur. In fact I'm convinced that they don't let norms do PhDs.

Yeah all the ones i know are a bit crazy, though they are all doing phd's in maths so i guess its a bit of a given..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Tbh i think all the normal ones go out and actually get work, while the crazy headbangers decide a few more years of being an alcho might suit em :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

You don't have to be crazy to do a PhD, but it helps...

There is, of course, an open question on whether being ever so slightly off the rails is a causal factor that is linked to PhD uptake (i.e. OTRQuotient has a relationship with PhD participation (PhDPCP)), or if PhDPCP influences OTRQ. Discuss.

• Advertisement

haha, well speaking of oddness amongst em. One of em i know who finished his phd at the end of last year there, he's over in germany doing some programming work in the max plank institute. Though the odd thing its some sort of graphics programming, nothing what so ever to do with his ug degree or phd. his reason is "Looked interesting , something to do for 6mts..."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Mate of mine in cambridge doing a maths PhD in infomatics (i tihnk?) - 3 year research phd - finished it in a year and a half, is now spending the rest of the time doing random maths stuff so "they might keep paying me the damn scholarship". he spends 1 month working in the summer, goes back, gets everything paid for, comes home at christmas, blows it all on christmas presents for mates, then heads back. nutter :)

haha, well i guess maths phd students are odd... one of the stats ones i know showed up to one of the classes he teachies with an impressive looking black eye there yesterday, claims he got it playing rugby, but by god ye'd need to have fit the boot into his eye socket the way it is, nasty. (random tangent 101).

Here's one of the chemistry postgrads in his band:

4.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭dearheart

Must email this link to Aron actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

And I have to say that I quite like silence.

Although I have to say that people who have rowdy parties and... scream at wardens.. are probably not the kind of intelligent people who will end up with a PhD or some other great achievement. That much joy I can have, and with full right. 'Holier-than-thou"? You might say so. At least, I'm proud that I'm not someone who loves the vanity of drinking and senseless partying and shouting at wardens.

I think you'll find that that type is few and far between. Most people have concern for their flatmates, and as long as you're not being unreasonable in your requests you'll get on fine. That said, mine are reasonably quiet and tidy - I've been to some really loud, filthy apartments - I REALLY wouldn't want to live there. If you have a problem there's always the warden or security..then again izzywizzy didn't find them too helpful.

And if you think you'd be better off paying the same amount for a flat in a quiet residential part of Dublin, then maybe you should consider that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

John2 wrote:
    Here's one of the chemistry postgrads in his band:
    That's excellent. Yeah most of the postgrads I know are chem ones as my mates brother is one and I go drinking with them the odd time. They're big partiers. I only know one physics postgrad, big talker, like he's on E all the time or something. Goes to every freshers thing and sleazes (successfully).

I can't wait til I'm a postgrad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

So, has anyone felt uncomfortable walking back from the LUAS, as stated in the JCR President's e-mail? I haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

What did the Warden say? Strangely enough my assistant warden last year said the same thing. I never had a single problem walking back from the Luas, any problems I had were walking back through Rathmines, with knackers throwing stuff at me and shouting stuff, and general hassle. I used to get the Luas to avoid the Upper Rathmines Road at night, there's nearly always other people from halls on it as well.

• Advertisement

TEMPLE ROAD WARNING
    Dodgey people are everywhere – not just in UCD. So it’s important to take care
    everywhere. We’ve heard rumours of uncomfortable walks back from the Luas, so
    please remain vigilant. There is NO need to panic, just remain sensible.
    Don’t advertise belongings, and if you are alone and worried then walk close to
    someone you think lives in Hall. However, as a result, we would like to gauge
    the demand for self-defence lessons. If you think that said lessons are
    appropriate then please write in, so that we can take action if necessary.
    TEMPLE ROAD
    Just to reiterate, please exercise caution at night. If you are alone and
    feel worried, then look for fellow residents and walk close to them; phone a
    friend for the duration of the walk; be careful with your bag. But do not
    worry – it is not a dangerous road. The JCR are willing to organise
    self-defence lessons if necessary and little has
    been corroborated.
    Also please consider residents living on Temple Road. If they’re annoyed,
    then that may affect our lives in Hall.

Two different e-mails.

I've never had a problem either. That road nearly always has someone else walking near it, and besides it's lined with houses.

Izzy, I've walked through Rathmines at night without any problems, where did you encounter trouble?

Oh, and Exhibitionist Girl was apparently at it again tonight, although I didn't see. Apparently the guy waved to the people who were watching?

I've just applied for next year! Fifty places for Junior Sophisters!

*cough* Trinity Hall hustings for the SU elections are taking place tomorrow (Monday) at 7:30pm, with polling afterwards...

pacman.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

EduMyth wrote:
    *cough* Trinity Hall hustings for the SU elections are taking place tomorrow (Monday) at 7:30pm, with polling afterwards...

pacman.gif
    It's definately worth going to, there might be some fantastic people there. (namely me)

EduMyth wrote:

pacman.gif
    Should be great!

Pet wrote:
    Oh, and Exhibitionist Girl was apparently at it again tonight, although I didn't see. Apparently the guy waved to the people who were watching?

He should have had a sign saying "Hello Mom!"

lol classic

What are hustings again? And ronny, what will you be doing there?

• Advertisement

Hustings are when candidates for the elections get up and give a 2 minute spiel to why you should vote for them, and then you can ask any questions you want of the candidates. That's the short and simple version!

Advertisement