Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Trinity Hall thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Cunningham House is also known as House 79.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I don't get the houses in Trinity hall. Is there really more than 90 and why are some called after people like Cunningham?
    To honour Ireland's dear old Centre-Half, Kenny. Such a player will never grace the turf of Selhurst Park again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Trinity Hall sux cos:

- 8 months = at least €3,400 = €425pm
    - No privacy especially with regards to room inspections, overnight guests and unannounced security visits
    - subject to ridiculous rules and regulations via badly punctuated A4 notices left right and centre
    - Archaic 'conditions of occupancy': you haven't even got the same rights as a tenant
    - is extremely noisy and rowdy, esp. at weekends
    - random summonses to the Junior Dean. I was summonsed once and asked to account for disturbances in my rooms, yet I wasn't even there at the time.
    - worst of all is that you are treated like a 15 year old kid in boarding school, when in fact almost everyone there is an adult and full-time students of the university. It's us that should be putting the security attendents in their place and not the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

The prices for Front Sq. are reasonable enough, ~€3,300 for the academic year. Does anyone know are they going to up the price post-renovation? Hope not :(. I could afford €3,300; but probably not the 4k they're charging for GMB etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Cantab. wrote:
    As has been said before, if ye don't like it move out, plenty of other apts ye could rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

If any of you have a strong opinion either way about living in Trinity Halls or on campus, would you drop me an email? For the next edition of TNT, we're doing a balanced look at accommodation in Trinity, rather than just one person's experience, like in the last edition.

The Accommodation Office have answered loads of questions for us on stuff like why it costs so much, why campus residents have to move out before exams are over (or else face paying a lot of money) and why you've to pay for the data connection, whether you use it or not, so I want to put in some people's views on living on campus to go with this.

Bleurgh, I'm ridiculously inarticulate tonight, can't string a sentence together. If that made some sense, mail me at bohanc[AT]tcd.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I think the key thing to remember is that it's NOT rented accommodation, so people should stop complaining about lack of tenant rights and such. If you want to throw parties and hang posters and make loads of noise and be a mad little rebel, then move out and get your own place. Moving out has its own advantages and disadvantages. Halls is not rented accommodation, it's college-owned residence. And yes, there are lots of rules, but there are lots of facilities and services that you just don't get if you're living in a house in Ranelagh, or indeed any other college residence in Ireland. That said, there are things I don't like about the place either, but they're quite minor and of little consequence.

Things I don't like about halls:

-The aforementioned rules, which are quite strict and numerous, but at least they tell you why.
    -Security being a bit heavy-handed (let's not exaggerate, they're nice people and they just do their jobs)
    -The cost, which IS a bit much, especially considering the distance from college.
    -The lack of hot water at reasonable hours!
    -The lack of a dishwasher in each kitchen. I mean, when you're installing appliances into ~300 kitchens (each kitchen being shared by 6 people), why not put a dishwasher in? If you're buying that many, along with all the fridges and cookers and such, you'd get them very cheap, and it would make keeping the place clean SO much easier.
    -Same-sex apartments. In my experience, when men and women have to share apartments, they both tend to behave much better.
    -The fact that there is a load of crockery, cutlery, blankets etc all locked away in each apartment, but only the people who stay here in summer get to use them.
    -Oh yes, and the JCR are largely useless, they don't seem to do a whole lot.

Things I DO like about halls:

-The facilities: music room, games room, gym, tv lounge, sports hall, etc
    -The grounds. It used to be a botanical gardens/arboretum so it's all very nice and green.
    -The apartments themselves (they are pretty sweet)
    -The people. There's a great mix of people from all over the country, and plenty of international students too.
    -Broadband internet in every room. It's quite handy.
    -The location. It's close to the Luas (and hence Dundrum for shopping), Rathmines, and you can even walk home from town if you want (although it takes about 40mins). Plus there are more Chinese/Indian/Italian takeaways (most of which deliver to your door) than you can shake a stick at!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Pet, good point about the dishwashers. And, it's not like they're putting washing machines (which have a tendency to flood the place out when abused in the slightest), if i were living in Halls i'd be so grateful to have a dishwasher that i'd treat it with TLC.

There are really cute mini dishwashers, they take about half the load of a normal family sized one and would work really well in a shared apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

40 minutes walk my ass - more like 30. takes me an hour to walk out to mine and its definitely about 30 to halls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

40 minutes walk my ass - more like 30. takes me an hour to walk out to mine and its definitely about 30 to halls.
    Yeah but you're a pepped up comp-sci hack with springs in your shoes. Have you ever seen ronan walk? He's still got that whole "I'm a beatnik rocker, I dont need to conform to your frenzied consumer-driven lives" thing hangin onto his heels from when he was 16..

• Advertisement

I have a variety of different walks, depending on my mood. According to some, I walk like the T-1000 from Terminator 2, or Robocop..And I can walk damn fast too.

Crash (you'll always be crash to me!), maybe I overestimated. It is about 30 mins, but I'm used to walking from Whelan's, so I had to guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭claireoby

I saw exhibitionist girl on wednesday night naked...looking at herself in the mirror!!..for ages. odd.

I was pretty dissapointed when I found out the flats were same sex flats. Loads of student accomodation places mix their flats...they seem to get on better. My friend is staying on UL campus...her place is sweet. Mixed guys and girls--no overnight guest rules, double beds and leather comfy sofas!!!

Oh--cant wait--we're getting Sky Movies in Oldham house for the new year!!cool....:)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

was she.... was she hot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭claireoby

Yeah she is...long hair, thin. Well from far away she looks pretty.(Her body anyway...personally think that the face and personality of a person makes them "hot"). Me and my flatmate are nearly sure it was one of the (two)girls at the Christmas party that was dancing on a table thrusting away with all the guys looking up her tiny skirt. Pretty she is, but she has absolutely no rhythm! (and no shame.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

claireoby wrote:
    (and no shame.)

We gathered that already!

*hops on the 15c towards rathmines to walk down to dartry and call on claireoby and pet*

IMA COMING EXHIBITIONIST GIRL!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

IMA COMING

In every possible way. Ew.

I saw exhibitionist girl on wednesday night naked...looking at herself in the mirror!!..for ages. odd.

Apparently she does that a lot, but we've never seen her do it because of the angle..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

has she been sighted lately?

ok sandals, we know you're not getting any, but down boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

So, what do people think of the new computer room?

I ain't been to see it yet, but it's about time they replaced those macs!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

so roro, whens this " trip " planned for?

They've both been quite quiet lately. There have been no sightings. I think it's because the warden paid both of them a visit..bom-bom chicka-bow wow!

really, he was just there to tell them off.

...and fix their copier?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

i was up there yesterday with a friend. the only table tennis ball is broken :(. the room looks good but is completely packed.

btw i'd say its a 35 min wlk if you go by the luas tracks and through ranelagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Vangelis

After reading this thread I'm completely deterred from wanting to live at Trinity Hall. I'd like some privacy and I hate noise, especially in the weekends.

What's better than TH? Digs?

After reading this thread I'm completely deterred from wanting to live at Trinity Hall. I'd like some privacy and I hate noise, especially in the weekends.

It's really not that bad, I've never had too much of an issue with noise. Unless you're a REALLY light sleeper you'd be fine. Although I'm on the fourth floor so I suppose I'm above it all..

And wrt privacy, the room inspections are once per term, they give you plenty of notice, and they literally just look in the door of your room to check you haven't wrecked the place.

But, from reading previous posts of yours, I don't think you'd fit in. A holier-than-thou attitude won't get you too far. T-hall IS a student development remember, you're not going to get pin-drop silence all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Yeah don't live there if you don't like noise. I reported my inconsiderate biatch of a flatmate to the warden several times and was not taken seriously until she was caught with a load of unsigned guests screaming the building down, and swore at the warden. With what it costs to live there, they should have taken it seriously right away. Last year I had nights where I was kept up all night before 9 am classes. It depends what flat you get. In first year I was grand, 2nd year got stuck with a selfish cow who thought it was her right to blast out rubbish music all night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

id say is a great opportunity to meet new people and make new firends in courses other then your own. iv a few friends down there but i always end up chatting to the locals or having some kind of table tennis match with them.

i also love some of the fellas country accents :) and trying to figure out where they're from. i say TH would be great if you we're a fresher. so many distractions and fun things going on and the buzz in freshers week there was great. i live with my parents but i'd say id have alot more freedom if i lived there. on the downside if i moved out i'd have knowone to cook meals for me/ clean my clothes and knowone telling me to study, also i d miss my dog and cat.

Advertisement