Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Wall, Dublin 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Hi would anyone know of pubs running Texas Holdem nights near around the East Wall / Clontarf area.

I know Seabank do one on Tuesday nights and The Green Room have one on Wednesdays but more the better

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Anyone been in the new Aldi yet?

I was expecting traffic chaos over the weekend but it all seemed pretty quiet ??

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Hammertime wrote: »
    Anyone been in the new Aldi yet?

I was expecting traffic chaos over the weekend but it all seemed pretty quiet ??

I was in there the other day. Wasn't too busy. It's looking great too. Though the Centra just down the road is fairly screwed now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I was in there the other day. Wasn't too busy. It's looking great too. Though the Centra just down the road is fairly screwed now

Not to mention when the Lidl goes in across the road from them !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Hammertime wrote: »
    Not to mention when the Lidl goes in across the road from them !!!!!

Ah, saw the Sale Agreed on the old Cahill printer site and thought wtf, who's going to build more apartments round there. Good to hear about Lidl, looks like I'll never have to travel to Artane/Coolock again!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

Myself and a couple of friends are thinking of renting an apartment in the Lighthouse complex beside the new ALDI.

Is there much trouble with groups of aggressive teenagers hanging around this area?

What would be the safest (doesn't have to be the fastest) route to walk home after dark in the early hours of the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

samsamson wrote: »
    Myself and a couple of friends are thinking of renting an apartment in the Lighthouse complex beside the new ALDI.

Is there much trouble with groups of aggressive teenagers hanging around this area?

What would be the safest (doesn't have to be the fastest) route to walk home after dark in the early hours of the morning?

Well I live just down the road in Seaview Avenue and I've never seen any trouble either there or up where you are.

Well, you could walk from North Strand Road onto Ossory Road then into Seaview Avenue then it'll be three minutes walk to your apartment. The first time I walked there (Ossory Rd) I thought it looked dodgy as **** but I now walk that road every day and have walked home on that road many nights in the early hours of the morning on my own and have not once had a spot of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭LittleMissDiva

Hello,

we will looking at a house to rent next week in Fairfield Ave., East Wall, Dublin 3. I will have to walk 2 small dogs in the morning and evening time. Is it a safe quiet area? Also for letting the dogs from time to time alone in the house.Any thoughts are welcome!
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Boogietime

Hello,

I'm just after speaking to a nice feller looking after the area in the garda station and as he advised me, there's not such bad influence there. He did mention that there might be the odd knacker on the bike trying to rob your phone or anything like that. But as a general rule of thumb, applicable anywhere, if you keep your wits about and don't look for trouble or flail your smartphone or money in the air then you're sorted.

Does anyone have any updates in the church/abercorn roads there? If there's somebody living/lived recently around, please reply.

All the best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Dahix

hey guys. im looking at a a house in the gated complex of caledon court off east road to rent. Could anyone tell me if it would be dangerous walking back here at night? and whats it like walking here during the day? / cycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭risteardo

Dahix wrote: »
    hey guys. im looking at a a house in the gated complex of caledon court off east road to rent. Could anyone tell me if it would be dangerous walking back here at night? and whats it like walking here during the day? / cycling?

I live on Caledon Road, you should have no worries walking or cycling around there at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,156 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This morning (just after 8am) there was a board across the walkway from East wall Road into Fairview Park, it's about 4 foot high. The green mesh 'gate' is still open.

Anyone know what's going on?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    This morning (just after 8am) there was a board across the walkway from East wall Road into Fairview Park, it's about 4 foot high. The green mesh 'gate' is still open.

No clue. But I saw plenty of people climbing over it, taking their normal route to school/work ;-)

risteardo wrote: »
    No clue. But I saw plenty of people climbing over it, taking their normal route to school/work ;-)

I was one of them! Wouldn't fancy doing it with umbrella and hands full of ALDI shopping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭candyman

This area has attracted a lot of retail in the last number of years. Does the area really need an Aldi, a Lidl, a Centra, another shop down by the chipper on Church Road and a Spar Express in the petrol station.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is great but I wonder whether all of these services are required. I am sure they are adding value to the property rents etc. in the area also.

Interested to hear peoples thoughts.

candyman wrote: »
    This area has attracted a lot of retail in the last number of years. Does the area really need an Aldi, a Lidl, a Centra, another shop down by the chipper on Church Road and a Spar Express in the petrol station.
    Don't get me wrong, I think it is great but I wonder whether all of these services are required. I am sure they are adding value to the property rents etc. in the area also.

I live in another part of Dublin 3 but work in East Point so my view on it would be:
    The retail outlets do a brisk trade at lunch with people working in East Point and the new Lighthouse offices. There's 5000+ people working in East Point with very limited food\shop options in the park itself. ALDI is within 15 minutes walking distance.
    The petrol station is there to catch people coming across the city via the East Link or Samuel Beckett. If you are heading out via Clontarf there's only one (relatively expensive) garage towards Dollymount I think.
    The ALDI is easily accessible from Clontarf which doesn't have a huge amount of supermarkets (Nolans and Supervalu Killester). I'd expect cheaper land values, and I'd imagine easier planning permission, getting into East Wall than Clontarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭candyman

...and the new Lighthouse offices

Are these offices fully occupied do you know?

As an East Wall resident, my thoughts are this.

The local shop on Church road that houses the post office. I'm sure the owners are known locally but I've always found it to be WAY overpriced with terrible stock. Of course it's healthy for an area to have a local shop, but this place, I would have no qualms about seeing it disappear, apart from where to put the post office.

Having a local supermarket like Aldi makes a big difference to us residents. With no sign of Dunnes opening in the Point, closest otherwise was Nolans in Clontarf or M&S in IFSC. If Lidl opens also, I guess it will just attract more customer from further afield, similar to what would have happened in Finglas.

As for the petrol station, I don't think people will do much shopping there, mostly for incidentals I imagine, but it's bound to put pressure on the Centra. I fear it will be the main casualty, which would be a shame as they've done a good job with it.

Are these offices fully occupied do you know?

I don't know for sure I'm afraid... I see a lot of activity at the car park at the back but not sure if that's just apartment residents or not.
    Some of the floors appear unoccupied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

It's there again today. It's a flood defence barrier. Tides are very high at the moment.........

It's there again today. It's a flood defence barrier. Tides are very high at the moment.........

Thanks for the tip. Some quick googling tells me we've just had a 'new moon' which means tides are at their highest. Will have to watch out for that when planning how to get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭HarrisonLennon

Guys I'm going to look at a property in East wall. Has anyone experience with the area? Is it dangerous? I know no where is "safe" but I heard it can be sketchy at dark.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's fine. Not a great bus service, heavy on the old people. There's a big East Wall thread here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Threads Merged

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Replicate

My husband and I bought a house in East Wall back in 2008. Since then we now have two young boys and have made the place our home. The local kids like to hang out around Church Rd in the summer but they are no bother and to be honest we've never had any issues what so ever. On the contrary I believe East Wall has changed a lot since we moved here, people have done up a lot of their houses and we now see skips again everywhere. Only a day or so ago DCC planted trees on Church Rd which again I think is going to enhance the area. The only thing most people around here are annoyed with is the dog crap and dumping black spots.
    East Wall is an interesting area with a strong community spirit and history. I find that there's a rather eclectic mix of young professionals who rent (working in the Docklands/East Point), young families and older people. The overall demographic is on the older side of the scale but I believe this to be changing rapidly and the fact that it is very difficult to find creche spaces in the extended area shows to prove this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eoru

Hey There

I have an opportunity to rent affordable accommodation on Hawthorn Terrace in East Wall and there are 3 of us. I've usually lived the other side of the city so I am not overly familiar with East Wall. However I've passed through the area and I like it's convenience to town and it isn't a million miles away from dollymount strand etc. , and I think the area has a certain charm about it. I like the fact that there is an Aldi near by and as a family we would be looking to stay in the area for the foreseeable future.

I scanned through a number of the posts and took on board the different opinions. Something that concerned me though was the areas potential for flooding, hearing that the area flooded back in the fifties and in 2002. Also as recently as October 2011 I read that Hawthorn terrace along with other areas around East Wall flooded due to the drainage system being unable to cope with excess rainfall. Does anyone have any feedback on this as I don't fancy waking up some morning and hoping out of bed with water up to my ankles. I know this is probably an exaggerated concern but I was just keen to know if this particular area was in fact a flood risk? If so I would consider other areas around East Wall or nearby.

Any other feedback in relation to the area would be great too

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mcdonut

Hi,

AFAIK Hawthorn Terrace is one of the streets in the area that is very prone to flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Replicate

Some work has recently gone in to sort out the drainage but not sure how much impact it will have on the flooding problems. Definitely more direct action needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Advertisement